Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE's 071 Class.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mayo checker

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    Freight from where to where for whom? We're not exactly Germany or the UK, we have very little heavy industry or long distances to cover.

WELL do u ever wonder where these lorries that you see clogging up our roads every day are going ?????? While the rails around the country have nothing on them atall through the night and most of the day there be plenty of free slots for freight to operate on and take some lorries off the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

WELL do u ever wonder where these lorries that you see clogging up our roads every day are going ??????

To places that don't have railway lines to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

East Wall looks a prime candidate for an arson attack that will take care of the MkIIIs - why on earth have they still got them lying around the place?

True, I guess that could happen anywhere really where you keep them all together. At least here they're close enough to Alexendra Road you can push them out of the country quickly before they fall apart :D

I'm kind of surprised no UK company like Angel Trains hasn't picked them up- I guess regauging them and bringing them up to UK MK3 standards was too expensive. I think at this stage they are well and truly done for after so long in the elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Freight from where to where for whom? We're not exactly Germany or the UK, we have very little heavy industry or long distances to cover.

BTW here's the link to those photos http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/topic/2514/Re-Inchicore-Works-from-above?page=-1#.TzrRprFmJbk. Anyone know what's the story with the 5-car 22000 in Inchicore?

the first pic there is great. at least 4 141s in there in 142 in black and tan.

The 5 car 22k, maybe one car is in a shop with issues, being normally a 6 piece set?

The 5-piece ICR is 22033, the missing coach caught fire in Athenry last year. Not sure what state it's in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

the first pic there is great. at least 4 141s in there in 142 in black and tan.

The 5 car 22k, maybe one car is in a shop with issues, being normally a 6 piece set?
    Probably set 22033
    http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/reply/52857/22000-Class-watch#reply-52857

One month in Inchicore and no sign of its sixth carriage being re-added? Just one more bungle in the saga of the 22Ks it seems.

I'd assume that the 201 behind the running shed near the traverser is 216? Doesn't look the best even from that height.

To places that don't have railway lines to them.
    ALL THE LORRIES MUST END UP IN TO DONEGAL SO:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ALL THE LORRIES MUST END UP IN TO DONEGAL SO:):)

Name a factory that has a direct rail connection these days, because that's the only way it's going to be viable to move stuff by rail for them. Other wise it's load truck, drive truck to railhead, wait to offload container, container sits in yard, loaded to train, more waiting, railhead A to railhead B, more waiting to offload, re load to truck, drive truck to actual destination.

The cost and time cost of all the moving and waiting far outweighs the cheaper cost of rail freight due to the short distance involved in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Saw a locomotive passing manulla junction last night going to Ballina with its load of containers, the number on it was 071 but it was not an 071. It looked like a 201? It was gone before I could get any pictures. Does that make any sense from someone who knows very little about locomotive classes or sizes?

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Saw a locomotive passing manulla junction last night going to Ballina with its load of containers, the number on it was 071 but it was not an 071. It looked like a 201? It was gone before I could get any pictures. Does that make any sense from someone who knows very little about locomotive classes or sizes?
    Seems like it was, in fact, 071 of the clan 071
    http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/reply/53442/071-Watch#reply-53442
    It has the "new" paint job unlike the other ones in orange with rusty doors and whatnot.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/be216cd1/6352233348/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,972 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Anyone know what's the story with the 5-car 22000 in Inchicore?

That's 22033 which had a fire on a Galway bound service in September. It was moved from Port Laois 6 weeks ago for repair work and the other 5 cars are living in Inchicore for the time being.

Name a factory that has a direct rail connection these days, because that's the only way it's going to be viable to move stuff by rail for them. Other wise it's load truck, drive truck to railhead, wait to offload container, container sits in yard, loaded to train, more waiting, railhead A to railhead B, more waiting to offload, re load to truck, drive truck to actual destination.

The cost and time cost of all the moving and waiting far outweighs the cheaper cost of rail freight due to the short distance involved in Ireland.
    A. THE COST OF DIESEL IS RISING
    B. THERE IS STILL WAITING INVOLVED FOR A LORRY TO COME FROM ITS DEPOT ANYWAY
    C.LORRIES WOULD BE STILL USED BUT FOR LESSER JOBS AS IN TRANSPORTING GOODS FROM THE RAIL TO WHERE ITS GOING
    D. BUT IN THE LONG RUN IT HAS TO BE SAID IT BE GOOD FOR THE ENVIROMENT HAVING 1 TRAIN TO DELIEVER GOODS TO A CERTAIN PART OF THE COUNTRY CORK LIMERICK GALWAY ETC RATHER THAN 100 LORRIES TRAVELLIN DOWN ON OUR MAJOR ROADS AROUND THE COUNTRY ...

.WATCH THIS SPACE,,,,,, HAULIERS ARE STRUGGLIN WITH THE RISIN COST OF FUEL RAIL MIGHT BE THE ONLY CHOICE OUT THERE FOR TRANSPORTING GOODS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

You try explain that to your wife the next time she comes in bitching and moaning 'cos it aint on the shelf.:D

roundymac wrote: »
    You try explain that to your wife the next time she comes in bitching and moaning 'cos it aint on the shelf.:D
    :):)you must be in the wrong section talkin bout wives Type wives complaints in and search away:)

any sightings of 084 please and my favourite loco of all time 077 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

any sightings of 084 please and my favourite loco of all time 077 ??

The only two orange 071s left and eyeing up the scrap line by the summer I reckon. Hope I'm wrong on that though but they are both in sorry states right now.

The only two orange 071s left and eyeing up the scrap line by the summer I reckon. Hope I'm wrong on that though but they are both in sorry states right now.
    ya they might be in a sorry state but the other 071s that were overhalued hadnt much done to them either so they mite look like there grand but id say they are struggling along to ..Just the paint job made them look better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

They don't make loco's like they used to. The 071's are my favourite loco class in the world. The music they make is astonishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Praetorian wrote: »
    They don't make loco's like they used to. The 071's are my favourite loco class in the world. The music they make is astonishing.

Have any of these locos been used anywhere else in the world??

I know that 201 are a cousin of the British class 66.
    And the americans are fond of oversized "road switcher" type locos.

I have never seen any of the 141/181 or 071 type locos anywhere else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Name a factory that has a direct rail connection these days.....

Intel:o

• Advertisement

Have any of these locos been used anywhere else in the world??

I know that 201 are a cousin of the British class 66.
    And the americans are fond of oversized "road switcher" type locos.

I have never seen any of the 141/181 or 071 type locos anywhere else.
    http://www.trainweb.org/emdloco/jt22cw.htm
    071 variants/cousins went to Sudan, Egypt and Yugoslavia.

newmug wrote: »
    Intel:o

Coca Cola in Lisburn are pretty close to the line too.

When the 071s are all taken out of service that be a very sad day for

alot of us ,,,what we all find it hard to believe is irish rail parking up a load

of 201s in inch and giving nearly all the 071s a so called overhaul :):)

Maybe just Maybe there must be an 071 Enthusiast MANAGER IN INCH:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Wtf

When the 071s are all taken out of service that be a very sad day for

alot of us ,,,what we all find it hard to believe is irish rail parking up a load

of 201s in inch and giving nearly all the 071s a so called overhaul :):)

Maybe just Maybe there must be an 071 Enthusiast MANAGER IN INCH:D:D:D
    Or maybe a manager who has read the IE Network Statement's track pages, specifically all the parts where it says "201 class not permitted"?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

There are 4 orange 071s left 077,078,084 and 087.077 was noted last week at Inchicore still in action.087 is in the middle of an overhaul at Inchicore.078 and 084 are also working so i doubt any of them will be sent to the scrapheap soon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

078 is in the middle of an overhaul. 084 was noted in Limerick junction.077 as Rud says at Inchicore and can be seen from the aerial photo backed up to 074.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

I was 10 minutes too late walking the dog yesterday, saw in the distance an 071 and the autoballaster heading north, heard it coming from a mile away :D. Previous day, 075 went through with 3 flat wagons. I walk the dog up a farm access alongside MP93 near Thurles most afternoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Lucky dog.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

5 minutes too late today and I had my camera! 071 and autoballaster again, on max zoom so can't see which one it is.

Trains001Large.jpg

Advertisement