Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE's 071 Class.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭supersaint3

Anyone know when one might come thru maynooth that I could go down and peek at?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Anyone know when one might come thru maynooth that I could go down and peek at?

Anything other than a DMU or ICR out that way these days is extremely rare, you could probably count on 1 finger the amount of times per year that a loco would be on the Maynooth/Sligo line (other than the Santa diesel trips), only one loco so far this year (and the year is just up).

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

GM228 wrote: »
    Anything other than a DMU or ICR out that way these days is extremely rare, you could probably count on 1 finger the amount of times per year that a loco would be on the Maynooth/Sligo line (other than the Santa diesel trips), only one loco so far this year (and the year is just up).

....and even the Santa specials this year went to Greystones :-(
    I guess the weedsprayer is the only one then (unless the hoppers run?)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You get the weedspray train twice a year and the Sperry train. In theory you have 6 chances of seeing an 071 at Maynooth per yer not including ballast that run in the dead of night and RPSI specials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭supersaint3

Ah well, thanks anyway! Another time and place maybe.

It might not be the thread for it but, I got the excellent 'Railway Rambler' photo book by Michael McMahon for Christmas which I very much enjoyed.

While I have a loose knowledge of the various IE diesel classes and their abilities and origins, I am finding it hard to place their concurrent running and purpose in my brain.

I don't suppose there exists a chart outlining let's say quantity purchased, length of time operated, purpose/ usage, which contrasts over the loco types.

I am just craving more information I suppose. Anyone recommend a book detailing a more comprehensive history of the diesel period of IE?? Does such a thing exist??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,972 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Ah well, thanks anyway! Another time and place maybe.

It might not be the thread for it but, I got the excellent 'Railway Rambler' photo book by Michael McMahon for Christmas which I very much enjoyed.

While I have a loose knowledge of the various IE diesel classes and their abilities and origins, I am finding it hard to place their concurrent running and purpose in my brain.

I don't suppose there exists a chart outlining let's say quantity purchased, length of time operated, purpose/ usage, which contrasts over the loco types.

I am just craving more information I suppose. Anyone recommend a book detailing a more comprehensive history of the diesel period of IE?? Does such a thing exist??

I could list them all off for you but Wikipedia is your friend here.

I've noted 084 dumped outside Connolly shed for a week now. On Thursday night there were two Enterprise 201s beside it, no one decided to haul it to Inchicore by the looks of things.

Just got a better look at 084 this evening in the extra hour of light, it has a new type of external handbrake fitted, the red wheel is now larger and has just 3 spokes compared to the old type.

Monday 01-Feb-16
    072 on laden Tara mines-Alexandra road departed Navan at 18:15

Monday 01-Feb-16
    072 on laden Tara mines-Alexandra road departed Navan at 18:15

075 is on the other tara link. Was at Eastwall junction at 17:10 yesterday with 12 empties.

• Advertisement

076 being coupled to a set of HOBS under the roof in Cork station. Love the sound on this one! :D Really shows off the different engine tone on 076, sounds more like a NIR 111.

Don't mind the 2600 at the start. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

074 operated a fully loaded CPW between Waterford and Ballina on Saturday departing at 11.30.

How many 071's have yet to get the new colors, notice a few have new braking systems installed but not painted.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    074 operated a fully loaded CPW between Waterford and Ballina on Saturday departing at 11.30.

How many 071's have yet to get the new colors, notice a few have new braking systems installed but not painted.

9 done 9 to go. 082 has been in Inchicore a long time now, so I reckon its next.

071,076,077,078,084,085,087 and 088 are overhauled and painted but not all have the new external hand brake fitted.

It's 3 years next month since the first grey 071, 077 was released back into traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

9 done 9 to go. 082 has been in Inchicore a long time now, so I reckon its next.

071,076,077,078,084,085,087 and 088 are overhauled and painted but not all have the new external hand brake fitted.

It's 3 years next month since the first grey 071, 077 was released back into traffic.

082 is on stands in Diesel 1 for a very long time now (year +) just awaiting bogies, but it hasn't received any overhaul work AFAIK.

Forgot 080, it's done a while now but has yet to leave Inchicore. Like 076, that spent months in Inchicore outside before re-entering service.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

Some of the best running 071s are the ones not painted in battle ship grey, 072, 073 074 075 etc, 073arrived into NW at midday Sat 2nd April with the HOBS from Dromod.
    Regards
    hg

Yeah two of the best, 072 and 074 have not gone in yet. 072 has been in a right state externally for years now. 081 is the longest going around in the freight livery being the first in the class to wear it.

Hope the RPSI get some of the decent 071s for their 40th anniversary tour.

Speaking of 074, saw this one on YouTube yesterday. :)

072 has been in rag order for the last while but I wasn't aware that it was among the best mechanically.

• Advertisement

In the US there are a lot of EMD products over 40 years of age running on class II & class III railroads. A bit of TLC goes a long way. Hopefully we will celebrate the JT22CW's (071) 50th year in service!!

In the US there are a lot of EMD products over 40 years of age running on class II & class III railroads. A bit of TLC goes a long way. Hopefully we will celebrate the JT22CW's (071) 50th year in service!!

I reckon so, it been 3 years so far and only half the fleet have been overhauled. Probably another 2 to finish the rest.

I can see a few still knocking around in 10 year time. The RPSI will surly take one anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Does anyone know the approximate current time for the mid-morning inbound Tara at Killester Station ? There was a no-show last Wednesday morning 10:30 - 11:45, and I was wondering if the schedule has changed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Does anyone know the approximate current time for the mid-morning inbound Tara at Killester Station ? There was a no-show last Wednesday morning 10:30 - 11:45, and I was wondering if the schedule has changed ?

Due at Howth Junction at 11:28 so possible just running a little late

Due at Howth Junction at 11:28 so possible just running a little late

Thank you for that flyingsnail, much appreciated ! :)

It can be at Howth Junction anytime between 10:45 and 11:30 form past experience. It's usually earlier on Fridays like all the tara links. Sometimes it might not run due to operational reasons like when they switch over from ore to zinc at the mine. Two weeks ago I saw 075 held at East Wall Junction with just 5 empties for the evening return, very rare to see.

It can be at Howth Junction anytime between 10:45 and 11:30 form past experience. It's usually earlier on Fridays like all the tara links. Sometimes it might not run due to operational reasons like when they switch over from ore to zinc at the mine. Two weeks ago I saw 075 held at East Wall Junction with just 5 empties for the evening return, very rare to see.

Many thanks for that info - I actually got a clip of 075 last year arriving around 11 am at HJ stopping for a red. Anyway this guy asked me in the comments section if this was the same loco involved in the Buttevant crash ?

Yep, same loco. it was hardly damaged in the impact compared to the wooden coaches that were completely destroyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

It all depends if it goes into Skerries Loop, sometimes of it's looped for the 10.10 ex Dundalk passenger, then it doesn't arrive into NW till about 11.50, but if it departs Drogheda and keeps going it can arrive into NW as early as 11.00, everyday is difference, depending if it goes into Skerries Loop and then getting stuck behind darts all the way in from Malahide, last Tuesday the 9.20 was cancelled due to a failure, when 086 arrived from Inchicore hauling steam loco no4, it was despatch to Drogheda in a hurry to rescue the failed Tara..
    Regards
    hg

Advertisement