Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE's 071 Class.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Thedarkb

Such variety stock and livery wise back then, saddens me to see the railways in the state they are today.

#086 worked today's laden timber, looks pretty shook with all the rust stains and with the mismatched door from #162

Thedarkb wrote: »
    #086 worked today's laden timber, looks pretty shook with all the rust stains and with the mismatched door from #162

I remember around 2006/2007 that 086 was the last 071 painted in the orange livery. Looked amazing. I was surprised that it was resprayed so soon because the orange paint job still had plenty of life left in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You think that loco look bad, you should 081. It was the first loco in the freight livery and now it's confined to Inchicore I believe until it gets it's overhaul. 080 is due to be finished soon.

072 is in a bad state too with filler used to patch up rust around the cab windows as it's got so bad.

074 still looks good but it's going around with 2 battleship grey doors but it's hard to tell against the black cabs.

You think that loco look bad, you should 081. It was the first loco in the freight livery and now it's confined to Inchicore I believe until it gets it's overhaul. 080 is due to be finished soon.

072 is in a bad state too with filler used to patch up rust around the cab windows as it's got so bad.

074 still looks good but it's going around with 2 battleship grey doors but it's hard to tell against the black cabs.

Any idea when 081 will be back out as i've never photographed it in colour?

• Advertisement

Any idea when 081 will be back out as i've never photographed it in colour?

Hard to tell. 076 was released from the paint shop after overhaul in July 2014. It's still sitting in Inchicore with masking tape still around the windows. They are just released back depending on what is needed to finish them parts wise and if they are needed.

An 071 thundered through ballyhale last night at 11:25pm, does anyone know what it was working

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kc56

An 071 thundered through ballyhale last night at 11:25pm, does anyone know what it was working

No idea but an 071 'thunders' through Kildare around 11pm most nights. Don't know if it's anything on tow.

This is the first time i've heard an 071 through ballyhale this late.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

This is the first time i've heard an 071 through ballyhale this late.

Up until 2013 it used to pass between 23.00-23.15 5 days per week.

• Advertisement

#072 worked this mornings DFDS liner, pics to follow when I process the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

072 was seen, as you know on the friday DFDS, here are some shots I got of it on an S curve in ballyhale.
    R3wRWij.jpg
    R3soTux.jpg

086 headed down to waterford on today's laden timber.

......and worked today's empty timber too

Just to quote Losty Dublin in a more appropriate thread... :)
    Until the time when GM came over and inspected their bogies; that's a thread all of it's own making :D
    I've heard about this and I know that the 071s were fitted with yaw dampers to resolve this problem. Was it that the 071s were not intended to be used for sustained 90mph operation? So the introduction of the Mark 3s resulted in them running faster than designed?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,972 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Karsini wrote: »
    Just to quote Losty Dublin in a more appropriate thread... :)

I've heard about this and I know that the 071s were fitted with yaw dampers to resolve this problem. Was it that the 071s were not intended to be used for for sustained 90mph operation? So the introduction of the Mark 3s resulted in them running faster than designed?

In short, no they weren't. The bogies were intended to work in locomotive sets of 2/3/4 engines and around the 50-60 MPH mark with a max speed of about 80 MPH mark. CIE worked shorter trains than those in the US and continental Europe but they pushed them harder than they should have been both in terms of the amount they worked as well as how fast they operated and the stop start nature of the services here.

Over time the bogies were exposed to more stresses without breaks than was ideal, which was only spotted in the mid 80's as GM didn't know just what was being asked of the locos work wise. The Yaw dampers helped sort these stresses out alongside a modified mechanical service programme.

072 is in charge on the waterford line at the moment with it working this morning's empty timber

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

CIE worked shorter trains than those in the US and continental Europe but they pushed them harder than they should have been both in terms of the amount they worked as well as how fast they operated and the stop start nature of the services here.

primarily because we kept buying underpowered locos,. 1000hp is regarded as a small switcher in the US

It's not that, IE have a max limit on freight trains even today. It's still a very small 36 TEU in length. So thats 18 42ft or 47ft wagons or 12 CPW or timbre wagons, regardless of an 071 or 201 hauling it. The heaviest trains cleared to run were 1,000 ton cement trains hauled by either 071s or 201s from Northwall to Cork.

Today the heaviest trains are the 900 ton 12 wagon tara trains that were hauled by the A class and the 071s today. 071s and even 201s have problems lifting 740 ton liners out of Northwall at times in poor rail conditions and in rare cases a banking loco is used to assist in extreme conditions.

Part of the length limit is that some passing loops are exactly the length of a 201 + 18 47ft flats. IE are looking into increasing the max length of liners but I suspect that will cause the longer ones to run at night due to pathing issues as they cannot use some of the passing loops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

It's not that, IE have a max limit on freight trains even today. It's still a very small 36 TEU in length. So thats 18 42ft or 47ft wagons or 12 CPW or timbre wagons, regardless of an 071 or 201 hauling it. The heaviest trains cleared to run were 1,000 ton cement trains hauled by either 071s or 201s from Northwall to Cork.

Today the heaviest trains are the 900 ton 12 wagon tara trains that were hauled by the A class and the 071s today. 071s and even 201s have problems lifting 740 ton liners out of Northwall at times in poor rail conditions and in rare cases a banking loco is used to assist in extreme conditions.

Part of the length limit is that some passing loops are exactly the length of a 201 + 18 47ft flats. IE are looking into increasing the max length of liners but I suspect that will cause the longer ones to run at night due to pathing issues as they cannot use some of the passing loops.

900 tons seems like a very low figure, why is it so limited , UK is running with upto 4000 tons in certain cases ?

BoatMad wrote: »
    900 tons seems like a very low figure, why is it so limited , UK is running with upto 4000 tons in certain cases ?

I don't know but they are IE's rules on the maximum permitted weight of freight trains. The 1,000 ton cement trains that ran in the early 2000s were a special rule and the fact that either a single 071 or 201 could haul it tells you they could handle more given the chance. There really is no requirement to run trains loaded to over a 1000 tons here anyway.

I know they have class 59s, 68s and 70s hauling 4,000 tons on their own and don't even need double heading. I think a double head 201 would be needed to more something like that, they were not built for heavy tonnage drags.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

40 TEUs 1000 tonne liners are cleared from Dublin to Cork and Limerick if hauled by a 201, not that any liners will be going that way any time soon. The cements were allowed a maximum 900 tonne limit if 071 or 201 hauled not 1000.

780 tonnes is the maximum weight for 36 TEUs although the DFDS liners are permitted to carry 830 tonnes. Tara Mines trains average 940 tonnes when loaded and are allowed a maximum 942 tonnes.

40+ TEUs are being looked at for Ballina but the longer liners will not have to run at night, they will just not be allowed to cross equally as long trains at any given location.

GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

780 tonnes is the maximum weight for 36 TEUs although the DFDS liners are permitted to carry 830 tonnes. Tara Mines trains average 940 tonnes when loaded and are allowed a maximum 942 tonnes.

40+ TEUs are being looked at for Ballina but the longer liners will not have to run at night, they will just not be allowed to cross equally as long trains at any given location.

If the DFDS can carry higher weight along the same route (well from Kildare) why can't the TEU's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    If the DFDS can carry higher weight along the same route (well from Kildare) why can't the TEU's?

A TEU (twenty foot equivalent unit) is a measure of length rather than weight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

A TEU (twenty foot equivalent unit) is a measure of length rather than weight

TEU is actually a measure of capacity rather than lenght or weight which was introduced for shipping companies when containerised shipping became the norm to determine how much of a load a ship could carry or how many wagons a train could haul etc.

TEU needs to be accompanied by two other factors, weight and height, so you may find a ship can carry 40,000 TEUs subject to a maximum stacked height of XX and an overall weight of XX.

GM228

A grey 071 hauling 14 empty spoil wagons passed north bound through Killester just after 1am. It was too dark to get a number, all I know is that it wasn't 078, 085 or 087 as they are easy to ID. I heard it return around 5am, don't know where the work site was.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

don't know where the work site was.
    Possibly Mosney Loop which is being decommission this weekend, 29105 was the last train to use the loop on Friday, end of an era.

Regards
    hg

h.gricer wrote: »
    Possibly Mosney Loop which is being decommission this weekend, 29105 was the last train to use the loop on Friday, end of an era.

Regards
    hg
    Why would they decommission a loop? Doesn't that just reduce capacity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,972 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Why would they decommission a loop? Doesn't that just reduce capacity?

Less points on the network mean less maintenance for them and their associated signals. The removed points can be used elsewhere on the network, which in turn is a saving as they are extremely expensive to purchase from new.

Speeds may be increased when points are no longer in situ and when train blocks are lengthened; well in theory at least they can.

Advertisement