Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAME in serious trouble

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

dpe wrote: »
    Valve price all their games at a $:€ 1:1 ratio (plus VAT) so Euro Steam prices are stupidly high, and yet they can do no wrong in the eyes of the fanboys. Go figure

Yes it's true they have high prices upon release. But they eventually go down after a month or 2.
    Ask any PC gamer here how many games they own via STEAM.
    Ask them if a "Steam Easter/Xmas" sale isn't the best thing in town when it happens, they sell top games for ridiculously crazy prices.
    Yes I'm a fanboy,
    Yes I love Steam, and Valve (publishing only quality games), and own over 200 games on it.

But the pricing is relative as to when you want to buy the game, its cheap if you are happy to wait a month or 2.

Anyways, sorry to hear about all the GAME lads and ladies.
    I did use the stores for console purposes (the PC stock was lacking the last 4 years or so)
    Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Slightly off topic, but there is a little Bob The Builder kiddies coin op thing a few feet away from the shop that plays a tune every few minutes and it's making me want to stab a JCB in the face.

I am sorry for your situation and would like to send you my best. I checked out the lads situation in Limerick and they must be very tired at this stage.

I hope you get what you deserve and what you are entitled too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Limericks wrote: »
    I am sorry for your situation and would like to send you my best. I checked out the lads situation in Limerick and they must be very tired at this stage.

I hope you get what you deserve and what you are entitled too.

Thank you, very much, we seriously appreciate it.

Physically, we're now happy enough, we've had time now to settle in and rearrange the place to be a bit more comfortable, but - and not to sound too American about it - the psychological strain is fairly exhausting. It would be a bit melodramatic to say that feels like being under siege but it's not entirely untrue. Our store has enough room to stretch out and give everybody a bit of space, but I don't know how the lads in Liffey Valley are able to cope, for instance. We're only eight days in and I'm absolutely shattered - I have a whole new appreciation for the folks in Vita Cortex, let me tell you.

One thing I have to say is that I'm blown away by the level of support we've had from random passers by. We've had people donating food and supplies all week, and both the gesture and the items were hugely appreciated. Kudos to the dude who thought of vitamin c tablets, we were probably going to wind up being the first people in Ireland in centuries to contract scurvy otherwise.

If anybody wants to have a look at what it's like on the other side of the shutter - although you'll have to imagine the heat and Bob the $%£$%£$ Builder yourselves - have a look here and here.

Whatever way this shakes out, I will miss my job dearly. Head Office were never pleasant to deal with, but I loved what I did and I loved dealing with the customers we had. Not necessarily the guys who robbed us or spat at us or puked onto the shop floor or left their McDonalds cheeseburgers - always cheeseburgers - crammed into the preowned shelves, but still. Getting to talk about the games I loved all day long was a joy, and even during the incoherently tired, crazy-hours-Christmas period, I practically skipped to work in the morning. The people I worked with were a second family, and I'll miss laughing at nothing with them every day. I can't pretend I didn't want to strangle a manager at least once a week, but we could still go for pints afterwards, and I'd consider every one of them friends.

Details of the dispute aside, I'm honestly gutted it ended like this. It galls badly to have such a happy time end so bitterly, so unnecessarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Thank you, very much, we seriously appreciate it.

Physically, we're now happy enough, we've had time now to settle in and rearrange the place to be a bit more comfortable, but - and not to sound too American about it - the psychological strain is fairly exhausting. It would be a bit melodramatic to say that feels like being under siege but it's not entirely untrue. Our store has enough room to stretch out and give everybody a bit of space, but I don't know how the lads in Liffey Valley are able to cope, for instance. We're only eight days in and I'm absolutely shattered - I have a whole new appreciation for the folks in Vita Cortex, let me tell you.

One thing I have to say is that I'm blown away by the level of support we've had from random passers by. We've had people donating food and supplies all week, and both the gesture and the items were hugely appreciated. Kudos to the dude who thought of vitamin c tablets, we were probably going to wind up being the first people in Ireland in centuries to contract scurvy otherwise.

If anybody wants to have a look at what it's like on the other side of the shutter - although you'll have to imagine the heat and Bob the $%£$%£$ Builder yourselves - have a look here and here.

Whatever way this shakes out, I will miss my job dearly. Head Office were never pleasant to deal with, but I loved what I did and I loved dealing with the customers we had. Not necessarily the guys who robbed us or spat at us or puked onto the shop floor or left their McDonalds cheeseburgers - always cheeseburgers - crammed into the preowned shelves, but still. Getting to talk about the games I loved all day long was a joy, and even during the incoherently tired, crazy-hours-Christmas period, I practically skipped to work in the morning. The people I worked with were a second family, and I'll miss laughing at nothing with them every day. I can't pretend I didn't want to strangle a manager at least once a week, but we could still go for pints afterwards, and I'd consider every one of them friends.

Details of the dispute aside, I'm honestly gutted it ended like this. It galls badly to have such a happy time end so bitterly, so unnecessarily.

I would like your post but there is nothing to like about your situation. It is disgraceful how you are being treated and at the end of your struggle I hope you get what you have been fighting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Can't you sneak out and unplug the bob the builder thing ? sneakily cut the wire after too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0402/breaking51.html

Little family run Irish retailer v Massive multinational.

Ashamed much PWC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Can't you sneak out and unplug the bob the builder thing ? sneakily cut the wire after too.

Yeah, if you could get a little sign that said "Out Of Order" and stuck it to it, no one would bat an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

Blame the publishers to be honest - they set the RRP on Steam.

You do know what the first "R" in RRP stands for? (and its actually Suggested Retail Price these days). If publishers are setting the price, its not RRP or SRP, its called Agency Pricing, and its profoundly anti-competitive (its growing into a big issue in the ebooks market as well).
    Yes it's true they have high prices upon release. But they eventually go down after a month or 2.

Way to miss the point. One of the main advantages of digital distribution is immediacy. Waiting two months is hardly immediate, is it. And retail also drops prices after a couple of months anyway.
    Ask any PC gamer here how many games they own via STEAM.

I'm a PC gamer, I barely touch Steam except when I have to (Orange Box etc.).

There's nothing wrong with Steam as a technical platform, there's nothing wrong with Valve raping its customers for all its worth, except, they can only do that because there's a lack of credible competition. That's what's wrong with most digital distribution markets, they tend to concentrate power in the hands of one provider, who then faces no real competition. Markets needs competition to innovate and thrive, but we're in real danger of ending up with 800lb Gorillas sat at the top of each value chain that ultimately will be able to do what the hell they like because no-one else has the resources to beat them (the Google effect).

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Dont know if its been posted yed but Blanch centre seem to have put up a huge graphic blocking the whole game store so you can barely see in.

I think this is a disgrace! The store has been around so long and Blanch centre seem to have no loyalty or support for the staff!

It makes more of a statement when you can see the staff and help support em. Feel really bad for the guys! Wish them all the best

Rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,671 ✭✭✭nerd69

Dont know if its been posted yed but Blanch centre seem to have put up a huge graphic blocking the whole game store so you can barely see in.

I think this is a disgrace! The store has been around so long and Blanch centre seem to have no loyalty or support for the staff!

It makes more of a statement when you can see the staff and help support em. Feel really bad for the guys! Wish them all the best

Rant over!

ya but its gota suck for them having people staring in at them like zoo animals. saw the same in mahon point i think the lads inside just want a bit of privacy
    all the best to ye lads im rooting for ye :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

nerd69 wrote: »
    ya but its gota suck for them having people staring in at them like zoo animals. saw the same in mahon point i think the lads inside just want a bit of privacy
    all the best to ye lads im rooting for ye :)

Yeah fair point, I just think it needs to stay on peoples minds and stay current, I would hate to see them get nothing!

I mean even if they have to be in public eye isnt that the whole point of the protest, to make sure everyone knows whats happening, Especially with Easter holidays now the shopping centre is packed so this is when the biggest impact would probably be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I've only heard about this sit in now (sorry, been busy). Just read through most of the thread and had no idea it had progressed onto this. Absolutely horrible the way that this has happened. Keep on fighting!

I haven't bought many games in recent years mainly because of a dislike of the DRM that publishers were moving towards but I've spent some money in there over the time either in the actual shops or through the website. Definitely the best physical shop and one of the best for online. Bad news seeing competition falling and worse in how it affects the many workers and the economy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

dpe wrote: »
    You do know what the first "R" in RRP stands for? (and its actually Suggested Retail Price these days). If publishers are setting the price, its not RRP or SRP, its called Agency Pricing, and its profoundly anti-competitive (its growing into a big issue in the ebooks market as well).

Actually, I should have said the retail price rather than RRP (or SRP as you say!).

I do know that the publishers have the definitive say on the pricing of their games on Steam. They would try to have the same control with retail outlets too if they could but it would be impossible enforce - hence the RRP.

Its actually one of the major concerns I would have with the growth of online distribution. The market is controlled by only a few players, allowing publishers have much more influence on how games are prices. I would agree with you in regards the anti-competitive element.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Slightly off topic, but there is a little Bob The Builder kiddies coin op thing a few feet away from the shop that plays a tune every few minutes and it's making me want to stab a JCB in the face.

I worked in a shop years ago that had the same problem. Shopping centre management thought to block one of our sales windows with it. So me and lads would put an out of order sign on it and disconnect it.

Bye bye annoying kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

ILAC centre Game today

541428_3663758799448_1439091749_3394320_218894869_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

With the sympathy I have for the staff I had to wonder what they are trying to achieve as I peered in the window in Dundrum today.

Surely if the company goes bust you need to forget about any redundancy pay...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

quarryman wrote: »
    Surely if the company goes bust you need to forget about any redundancy pay...

It didn't go bust

They didnt even give the IRISH staff any paperwork relevant to IRELAND - they gave them the UK info.

and

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0403/1224314298371.html

Which DID go bust is going to pay its staff.

With any luck that answers your question - saves you reading back over the thread.

Oh and there's tens of thousands (retail) euros worth of stock they had the gall to tell them to send back!

If they'd have said open the doors and flog whats in the shop for cash and sort it out yourself we've gone bust I'm sure the staff wouldn't have mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Good luck and hope you get what you're owed, I know I wouldn't be able to do that. All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Excellent, well done to the Limerick lads!

551257_211889775578380_211449068955784_296110_2090709519_n.jpg

when fifa 12 was released in october i purchased a few copies for a few friends, the guy on the right (think his name is paul monconne) gave me a free ea sports t shirt and thanked me for the business.

Oh and there's tens of thousands (retail) euros worth of stock they had the gall to tell them to send back!

If they'd have said open the doors and flog whats in the shop for cash and sort it out yourself we've gone bust I'm sure the staff wouldn't have mind!

Funny enough, I suspect the law would swing into action fairly lively if we gave that a go. :pac:

GAME promised the managers each a £500 bonus if they packed up their stores to a "satisfactory standard". In Ireland, obviously, due to the sit in, nobody expected it. But curiously enough, in the UK, where the stores did exactly what they were told, not one of them "qualified" for the payment, so they pretty much just did a weeks work for free.

It's also worth remembering that at least some of the stock they want us to ship to the UK...

Varik wrote: »
    ... doesn't belong to Game ...

img2215sh.jpg

• Advertisement

they can use the back door but Supporters can no longer see them or give their support

photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76898579@N08/7043400821/in/photostream

Apols, can't seem to upload photos at moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

Classy move, Blanchardstown Centre Management.

I hope Dundrum don't pull anything similar. With the amount of stores that have pulled out of there recently, they need all the public favour they can get at this stage.

That's a really good point. There seem to be lots of empty units in Blanchardstown at the moment. The management probably think they're making the place look better. I think that in reality, most shoppers know people who could be in the same boat as ex-GAME staff in the morning, so want to give moral support and more. They're making a stand that could affect all of us at some point in the future. Hopefully the ex-staff will point this out to them...

Very clumsy, ugly manoeuvre by Blanchardstown SC there. Some of the longest serving staff in the company there, too, AFAIK.

Very clumsy, ugly manoeuvre by Blanchardstown SC there. Some of the longest serving staff in the company there, too, AFAIK.

Anyone think of the insurance problems associated with having the staff there overnight and that?
    You can't blame the management for covering up an empty shop tbh, shops shut up all the time.

Quote: You can't blame the management for covering up an empty shop tbh, shops shut up all the time.

It's not an empty unit! ex-GAME staff are in there with the stock, and only 1 exit now.

Blanchardstown Centre Management have created a fire hazard for those kids!! As for insurance, I'm sure PWC have it adequately insured, given the value of stock still in the unit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

susiespark wrote: »
    Quote: You can't blame the management for covering up an empty shop tbh, shops shut up all the time.

It's not an empty unit! ex-GAME staff are in there with the stock, and only 1 exit now.

Blanchardstown Centre Management have created a fire hazard for those kids!! As for insurance, I'm sure PWC have it adequately insured, given the value of stock still in the unit.
    I'm quite certain that any insurance on the place does not include the store being used as a living space but rather as a shop (as such premises would need to live up to very different standards).

It's my understanding GAME has retained the leases in the centre units, so GAME is still the tenant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

susiespark wrote: »

A lot of this depends on the exact state of the lease and indeed of the legal status of the Game company in Ireland.

If the company in Ireland has ceased trading and stopped paying rent then in this case the blanchardstown centre is the entity legally entitled to occupy the premises and do with it what they want. In this case the staff are technically trespassing and I'm 100% sure that any insurance cover would be voided.

If Game are still operating all be it not actively trading and have paid rent etc then the insurance would still be in place, the staff could still be guilty of trespassing but most relevant to this case the blanch centre would not have the right to do what they have done (unless of course there is a clause in the lease allowing for it when a business is not opening.

I haven't heard any reports about the legal status of the Irish wing of the company. Does any of the employees posting here actually know what is happening ?

BTW I 100% support the staff taking action just to be clear.

Edit - post crossed with Jills

Advertisement