Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAME in serious trouble

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

So are they selling off the stock dirt cheap or wha'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Doubt it most could be returned to the suppliers for credit of money owed.

Def dont expect anything sold in Ireland - It's all packed up ready to be shipped back.

Kind of says something about the staff that they haven't gone looting the place - they've just sat in and done what they were asked to do. All they've asked for in return is what they're legally entitled too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Holy Jesus On topic post Batman!

The UK and Irish reward systems were never differentiated. UK stores (and the system) have no idea if your points acumilated from Euro or Sterling Sales.

They may have been sneaky enough not to reactivate it for NI stores but I doubt it. Give one of the three (or what ever pitifully small number it is) a call and get up there if you have loads of points.

I wonder if applies to trade in credit cards also? If so then it's up the North with me...

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

For what it's worth - here's what I know about GTAIV :)

RRP was €69.99 - we ended up selling it at €61.99 on our site. Tesco I think went out at an absolutely ridiculous price (somewhere around €47 edit- cherry cola says €40 :) ) but had very little stock in each store. There was a definite shortage of it, (and a definite exploitation of that shortage by Zavvi at the time) - allocations to retailers were cut completely - so if you ordered 1000 you may have gotten 500 with the balance following a few days / couple of weeks later. What this meant was that some stores and retailers had no copies left for general sale, some stores sold more copies than they actually had in pre orders (turning people away who had pre ordered) and other stores perhaps in the same chain had loads spare on day 1. (Because they over inflated their pre order book to get stock in from head office - it's a retail thing :D)

There were some posts on boards at the time from people who couldn't get a copy - and there were posts saying I just walked into x y and z store and there were gazillions of them etc. What I do know for sure is that at one point a few days after release there was little to no stock available anywhere but Zavvi who then put the price up to €74.99 (source: my own gobsmacked eyes) - They kept that price until more stock arrived from the publishers across the board and then dropped it back.

GTAIV was a kind of once off though to be fair - and although the €74.99 was above RRP I wouldn't take it as an example of where the future lies. (I do see retailers pricing moving back towards the RRP as aluded to earlier in the thread but I think it would be a foolish retailer who would try and sell above RRP at this stage)

Other point to note is that Tescos "ridiculous price" as it was seen to be then is at this stage not remarkable at all for an AAA game which tells it's own story on how things have gone in the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Tesco were actually selling it for €40. I went in to the midnight release in Tesco for it and paid €60.

The next day I read on here that lots of people got it for €40 and so I went back the next day to chance my arm. Sure enough it worked and I got the €20 refunded, though the CS rep said not to say anything to anyone else ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Speaking of GTA4, on launch day Game in Dundrum had loads of GTA4 boxes out on display in the store with the price written on it, I was aware there were shortages but just thought they must have got a fair few in. Went up to the counter and the smug bloke behind the counter smirking goes did you pre order.
    I said no so he said though sh!t (those actual words) and smirked to his collegue who was equally amused. I think its the first time I lost my temper in a store, I just found it ridiculous to be displaying game boxes with a price on them, and no mention of for pre order only? :S . The attitude was also appauling.
    Managed to get the game in Zavvi but yeah that was my most recent (and last) visit to a Game store (and it looks as though the oppertunity for visiting one again wont happen for quite some time, if at all :pac:).

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Helix wrote: »
    having spent the last half a decade (or decade for anyone with a credit card) spending no more than fifty quid a game, i assure you the likelihood of the general public accepting a 60% price hike is slim to none

again i point to the vita model, where sony has shown that they WILL offer games for less than retail price for digital downlaod

Take a look at the PS store on the PS3. Fifa street was €70, so was mass effect 3. Now sure how you came to the idea that less competition means that games will be cheaper.

Achilles wrote: »
    I wonder if applies to trade in credit cards also? If so then it's up the North with me...

I'm afraid it doesn't - but get onto what ever bank handles Games Gift Cards.

Keeping on the off topic theme (see what I did there :P) I'd completely forgotten about games locked to accounts that was meant to happen with the PS3. Looks like that's raising its ugly head again! Thats one thing that will definately go with Bricks and Mortor stores - Pre-owned. Onece thats gone whats the argument against locking games to a console? I want to leand them to my mates? Tough read your EULA :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The same rumour was bandied about for the Vita and turned out to be false. I doubt it will actually happen. I'm sure Sony and MS are looking into it but I think they are also afraid that if it turns out to be illegal or there is a legal challenge against it then it might mean a review and change of the draconian sofware copyright laws that so far are very much in favour of publishers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Take a look at the PS store on the PS3. Fifa street was €70, so was mass effect 3. Now sure how you came to the idea that less competition means that games will be cheaper.

vita games are cheaper

over here many ps3 games are cheaper

remove pissy retailers from the equation threatening not to stock product and digitally distributed game prices WILL drop

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As long as they are competing with retail they might be cheaper but sales prices and the lack of sales leave a lot to be desired on the consoles digital platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Picked up Solatorobo in Hamleys Game for €20 last Friday turns out it was my last purchase in Game, probably one of my best too I think. One thing I regret not going for was the €59.99 deal for The Old Republic Limited Edition.

Game Ireland fight for your rights
    Game staff of Ireland wish to thank the TD's, Caoimhghin O'Caolain, Sean Crowe, Kieran O'Donnell, Claire Daly, Joe Higgins and Richard Boyd-Barrett, who so passionately raised the cause of the ex-GAME employees and customers in the Dáil this afternoon. It is a testement to our plight that we have obtained cross-party support in the Dáil.

Their expressions of support and demands for action are greatly appreciated and have heartened us in our fight against injustice.

We eagerly await action from the Minister for Social Protection Joan Burton, the Minister for Jobs Richard Bruton, the Minister for State Fergus O'Dowd and the Táiniste Eamonn Gilmore to whom the questions were addressed and the result of dialogue between Minister Burton and PWC Ireland.

Tonight ex-GAME staff continue our sit-in in pursuit of justice. We appeal to everyone, the landlords of our stores, the Irish suppliers of GAME and the people in our local areas to support us in any way you can.

Just heard that GAME staff have been told that they're going to be removed and arrested if they don't get out of the stores by Saturday!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KingEnda

I have a friend working with Game, he says that ain't moving. Hard to imaging them being jailed how about the Vita Cortex employees in Cork? and wasnt there a sit in in the Liffey Valley recently

Hopefully they get some few euros in addition to the statutory redundancy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As long as they are competing with retail they might be cheaper but sales prices and the lack of sales leave a lot to be desired on the consoles digital platforms.

How many games have you bought during the steam sale that you otherwise would not have?

Steam sales have people buying games because there cheap rather than good or that they would have otherwise considered, we see on boards people complaining/boasting of how much they spend but i don't think console sales would have this effect.I don't think sales on console would make the same vast increase in overall profit that steam see a few times a year, not enough at least to risk the lower per game profit.

It'll continue with the lower discounts we currently see but may change now with the Vita being as it is or the new generation of consoles all of which will have downloads as a more prominent component from launch.

Personally i would prefer console games to be similar to steamworks and EA games, in my idea it would allow the disk to run the game after assigning the game to your account which would also allow a full install and future download.

susiespark wrote: »
    Just heard that GAME staff have been told that they're going to be removed and arrested if they don't get out of the stores by Saturday!:mad:
    KingEnda wrote: »
    I have a friend working with Game, he says that ain't moving. Hard to imaging them being jailed how about the Vita Cortex employees in Cork? and wasnt there a sit in in the Liffey Valley recently

Hopefully they get some few euros in addition to the statutory redundancy

At some point it's the landlord kicking them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Folks, I don't mean to backseat moderate, but can you please take the Steam/download/RRP chatter elsewhere? It's already been pointed out repeatedly how & why it had nothing to do with the situation these stores and the company came to be in, please don't persist in derailing the thread.

I'm not sure there's much else to say on the GAME situation to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Folks, I don't mean to backseat moderate, but can you please take the Steam/download/RRP chatter elsewhere? It's already been pointed out repeatedly how & why it had nothing to do with the situation these stores and the company came to be in, please don't persist in derailing the thread.

Normally I'd be saying to myself "who does she think is with her back seat modding" lol but I'm also tired of it :(

Given its gone completely off point and the topic line is now kinda done anyway - would it be an idea to start one called GAME Sit-in News or something?

• Advertisement

I take it the Irish shops aren't going to open now that there out of administration, might give hope for redundancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Varik wrote: »
    I take it the Irish shops aren't going to open now that there out of administration, might give hope for redundancies.

Yes. Irish shops are all closed, all instructed to pack up stock and send back to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yes. Irish shops are all closed, all instructed to pack up stock and send back to the UK.

Hmmm, being let go without redundancy, i would be saying "pack it yourselves!!!"

Hmmm, being let go without redundancy, i would be saying "pack it yourselves!!!"

They probably still want their last months pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Varik wrote: »
    They probably still want their last months pay.

I see your point...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

susiespark wrote: »

Lol. They have the keys and alarm codes so there will have to be a eviction order signed. That will take months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Tesco were actually selling it for €40. I went in to the midnight release in Tesco for it and paid €60.

The next day I read on here that lots of people got it for €40 and so I went back the next day to chance my arm. Sure enough it worked and I got the €20 refunded, though the CS rep said not to say anything to anyone else ;)

Same as, Techincally we could have argued and got it for free as the price we paid did not match the advertised price .the newspaper ad said it was €40 price between certain dates, and we would have bought it on the first day of that, and at the time tesco had a no quible guarantee. They were not dicks about giving me back the €20 so i wasnt a dick about insisting it should be free!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

IMHO the thread started about Game being in trouble (and their subsequent collapse) I think that discussion about how they got into trouble and it's future effects on gaming in general are very much a part of the discussion.

There are some posters here including yourself who quite rightly want to highlight the current situation that the staff find themselves in and that highlighting is being drowned out by the discussions. I think that a seperate "Support Game Staff" thread or similar would be warranted for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Helix wrote: »
    vita games are cheaper

over here many ps3 games are cheaper

remove pissy retailers from the equation threatening not to stock product and digitally distributed game prices WILL drop

So it's retailers fault that it's available to download at €70? But they don't mind Tesco getting the 5 biggest releases of the year and selling them for below cost?
    You haven't convinced me. Game going is a big loss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

2012-03-29-102139.jpg

2012-03-29-102149.jpg

Still standing firm :pac:

Advertisement