Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAME in serious trouble

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Helix wrote: »
    what'd happen if they opened the doors to the store and walked out, leaving them open for anyone to take what they wanted, when the closures were announced?

if the staff were told they were no longer being paid, then every one of them shouldve dropped what they were doing, gathered their belongings and left

leaving the keys on the desk, the money in the tills and everything as is

after all, they were told they were no longer employees right?

Potential future employee: "I see here you worked in game in galway, I was reading about that in the paper, were you involved with leaving the place opened to get robbed? ..... I see ...."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Just a quick word on this from me, haven't been a huge fan of Game in the last year or two and have generally bought from other retailers and/or online.

However...

For yet another company to treat their staff like this is appalling. I hope that the Game staff stick to their protest and get at least what is owed to them. If the above quoted passage is to be believed then not only have the staff been misled as to the situation of the company, but they have completely had the wool pulled over their eyes.

If I'm in the Blanchardstown Centre in the coming days I'll go out of my way to show some support for the staff there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Potential future employee: "I see here you worked in game in galway, I was reading about that in the paper, were you involved with leaving the place opened to get robbed? ..... I see ...."

"i was off that day"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

"i was laid off that day"
    fix'd ;)

see also
    "i was pissed off that day"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,978 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not promoting crime or anything but tbh, I wouldn't feel much guilt if I fleeced the place after getting treated like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

So basically, it's looking like the Irish employees were employed by a wholly owned subsidiary that would have had it's assets cleaned of cash at the end of every year. I'm not sure then that there's much hope of getting the redundancy money out of them since the assets probably amount to stock in hand (not readily liquifiable), the leases (which no one is going to want, since anyone with sense would rather negotiate a new lease with the landlord rather than buy a boom rated one from Game) and whatever cash is in the current account, which is probably minimal since there could well have been a payment to the parent company in the last few weeks.
    I don't think, even through the courts, the parent company can be held accountable on this one, especially since they're in a seperate jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

if the staff were told they were no longer being paid, then every one of them shouldve dropped what they were doing, gathered their belongings and left

leaving the keys on the desk, the money in the tills and everything as is

after all, they were told they were no longer employees right?

Not exactly. Game want the employees to do a paid week where staff will essentially pack up the store and ship it all back to the UK. It's redundancy that's being refused by the company, not the wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sam_hain

As someone who worked in Game for the good part of 6 years and having been treated with so much disrespect by managers (store and regional) and by head office and all because I wanted an Irish contract (those who worked back there during Grafton Streets days will know), I am not surprised at how they have treated their staff here. I can guarantee Game will do everything in their power to screw their staff over. I believe they will have to pay something either to the staff or to the Social Insurance Fund but if it is to the staff it will be as little as the law will allow.

While I am sorry for the floor staff to lose their jobs and I am sure they will all bounce back, part of me is delighted at some of the head office staff losing their jobs.

And yes I am a bitter (but happy) bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Notorious wrote: »
    Not exactly. Game want the employees to do a paid week where staff will essentially pack up the store and ship it all back to the UK. It's redundancy that's being refused by the company, not the wages.

according to comments by gamestop employees, theyre not being paid for packing up

according to comments by gamestop employees, theyre not being paid for packing up

Well with my, eh, first-hand experience, I can tell you that staff have been promised pay.

• Advertisement

Well with my, eh, first-hand experience, I can tell you that staff have been promised pay.

I was told today by a manager that they have been promised money but that it will never be seen by them. Any member of Game who goes in to pack up the store without first getting their redundancy or the money promised to pack up the store is a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Yeah! That's exactly what those newly-unemployed folks need, a prison sentence. :rolleyes:

If I had no way of feeding my kids do you think that would bother any genuine parent?? Remember not all there staff were 18 - 20?

Game have caused so much heartache as waiting times for dole is bout 5 or 6 weeks imagine then you have no money to feed kids!!! What do you do??

I do know where your coming from but when your down you gotta try clamber to the top

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Sold in the UK branches still operating, I presume.

Some of it doesn't belong to Game and would be likely be getting shipped back to Sony and such.

img2215sh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

Azza wrote: »
    Not wanting to drag this far off topic but I couldn't let this one slide, because its so far from the truth.

Yes it has been proven.
    List of top pirated games in 2011.
    Figures are available going back a few years now, that show PC piracy is 3-5 times greater than on any single console. And it remains far easier to pirate PC games than console games.

The figures for Consoles will always seem lower because of the simple fact that most console pirates rent or get a loan of the the original game. The kid on my road can put in a wii original game into his wii and have it copy to his hard drive in less than 5mins. much easier than downloading from a doggy torrent and using no dvd exe files. Anyway we will agree to disagree to keep this on topic.

As I said before its a sad day that the game employees are out of work. Game did focus too much on secondhand console games which is probably just as big of a financial hit as piracy to the game developers.

I was told today by a manager that they have been promised. money but that it will never be seen by them. Any member of Game who goes in to pack up the store without first getting their redundancy or the money promised to pack up the store is a fool.

Well a Game manager certainly never told you that. There's no point in spreading false rumors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0328/game.html
    Workers from Game will have further contact with its administrators today about redundancy payments.The video game retailer is closing its branches in the Republic of Ireland, with the loss of 121 jobs.

Staff are protesting in almost all of the Irish Game stores in protest at being told the company is not paying any redundancy itself.It says workers will have to claim minimum redundancy requirements from the State.

Staff representatives met with administrators PricewaterhouseCoopers and Game management yesterday.

The adminstrators said they would get back to workers with an update on the situation this afternoon.

• Site Banned Posts: 9 wololo

Games are too expensive in that shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,588 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Excellent, well done to the Limerick lads!

551257_211889775578380_211449068955784_296110_2090709519_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

Is there a sit in at the Dawson Street store?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Moojuice wrote: »
    Is there a sit in at the Dawson Street store?

I think so, the signs are up outside and the shutters were partly raised this morning, though I didn't look under to see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

wololo wrote: »
    Games are too expensive in that shop.

Wait until you see what happens to prices elsewhere as the competition is removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Wait until you see what happens to prices elsewhere as the competition is removed.

Is this a threat? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Excellent, well done to the Limerick lads!

551257_211889775578380_211449068955784_296110_2090709519_n.jpg

Well done lads, keep it up.
    I'll be passing on Friday or Saturday and will drop ye in some ice creams :p

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

IMHO, it's the high-street retailers that have been pushing up the prices of downloadable games for years. When the likes of steam try and sell one of their own games for a lot less money than a boxed game, the retailers threaten to not stock their merchandise.

Also, the download sector is getting a lot more competitive with, EA, Amazon and even GOG.com getting in on the action. My money says prices will drop, but not a whole pile.

Of course "charge as much as you can get away with" is still part of retail, so who knows what way it'd go? At least the people who make the games would be getting a few quid every time, unlike with Game's resales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

moz wrote: »
    Well done lads, keep it up.
    I'll be passing on Friday or Saturday and will drop ye in some ice creams :p

would love to drop them in stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

IMHO, it's the high-street retailers that have been pushing up the prices of downloadable games for years. When the likes of steam try and sell one of their own games for a lot less money than a boxed game, the retailers threaten to not stock their merchandise.

Do you have a source to support this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

caspa307 wrote: »
    would love to drop them in stuff

Stuff? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I always enjoyed going into GAME in Limerick. Staff were sound and the security guard was a nice bloke aswell. Sad to see them go

That security guard was a legend

He was better at sales then a lot of the staff

Lots of security guards hang around looking bored, the Limerick guy was always getting involved and chatting to customers and giving advice.

It wasn't his job but hey, he was good at it

I deal with the Liffey Valley store more these days and they were always helpful.
    Good luck to them if there is a sit in

Well a Game manager certainly never told you that. There's no point in spreading false rumors.

Of course I made it all up as there is no way that a disgruntled long term employee would say anything negative about his company which is telling staff they cannot pay for redundancy as there's no money left but then find enough to pay staff to pack up. Was told it last night by a manager who had been with game for well over a decade, he is disgusted by the manner in which he has been treated. In fact I believe that other managers have been posting similar comments on various forum boards. But I guess that too is a case of non Game managers spreading false rumours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Orim wrote: »
    Is this a threat? :D

Ah if it came with big red letters to the side then maybe but this is a personal opinion :D

Seriously though as has been stated not just by me in this thread the retail prices here are artificially low. Retailers here and in the UK have been engaged in a long running price war - localised to this market - going as far as to be selling games at a loss to try and win. When the war is over (which it will be as retailers exit the market - or run out of money to fund it) prices will rise. We've seen Game go, HMV have well documented troubles too and Gamestop have an enormous parent company backing them so they can fund this war for longer than anyone.

But what about afterwards. As an example though have a look at Gamestop's Italian website

Most new releases are €69.98. (Anything from €50 plus here incl delivery)
    Older AAA titles like Gears 3 are still selling for €64.99. (€47.97 here incl delivery)
    Tomorrows release of Silent Hill HD Collection is €49.99 (€29.97 here incl delivery)

In a territory where they aren't engaged in a loss leading price war they are a lot more expensive and selling games at what the publishers would expect them to be selling at. So it's reasonable to assume that prices here would follow suit as the competition are wiped out.

Again all of the above is my personal opinion just to be clear !

Advertisement