Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky On-Demand (formerly Anytime) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

nicelives wrote: »
    Just signed up to test the Sky Ireland Broadband Service.

https://interest.sky.com/broadband/

Why doesn't Sky give broadband thru satellite rather than landline as there are a lot of rural areas that can't get broadband thru their landline and also some satellite bb providers are offering Sky thru their systems

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

Why doesn't Sky give broadband thru satellite rather than landline as there are a lot of rural areas that can't get broadband thru their landline and also some satellite bb providers are offering Sky thru their systems

You can get broadband through satellite today and there is nothing stopping you. The reason Sky are not promoting it is:

1) Is is no good for streaming TV as the download caps are too low

2) It is terrible broadband compared to nearly every other type of broadband, the pings are too high, cost is very very high, speed in reality is not good, equipment is expensive etc., miniumum contract 2-3 years etc.

If you have ever used Satellite broadband, which I have, you would understand even mobile phone dongles work better most of the time. In particular situations it can be effective. It is particularly effective if you have no other choice and you are willing to pay loads and loads for dedicated capacity.

It is not suited to "on demand" to homes, at least not the way Sky uses it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

billbond4 wrote: »
    so how did you get it? is your BB from UTV?
    -
    Nope... I wont go into detail, but use your imagination
    Ah router dns.
    I'm not very imaginative

zg3409 wrote: »
    You can get broadband through satellite today and there is nothing stopping you. The reason Sky are not promoting it is:

1) Is is no good for streaming TV as the download caps are too low

2) It is terrible broadband compared to nearly every other type of broadband, the pings are too high, cost is very very high, speed in reality is not good, equipment is expensive etc., miniumum contract 2-3 years etc.

If you have ever used Satellite broadband, which I have, you would understand even mobile phone dongles work better most of the time. In particular situations it can be effective. It is particularly effective if you have no other choice and you are willing to pay loads and loads for dedicated capacity.

It is not suited to "on demand" to homes, at least not the way Sky uses it.

Thanks for reply
    For your info, I have TooWay sat bb I am getting a constant download of 8 mbs an d I am capped 8 gbs a month, on 16 th of every month I go back to zero and if pay 35 euro for that, I am able to monitor my usage online, so if I wanted to download something really heavy ,I can leave it to end of period. I was on a wireless bb system before which was badly managed, I was supposed to get 3 mbs but it was all over the place from.5 to 2 mbs and a desperate service and paying 30 euro a month for that, Skype is good as well for what I do, I use iTunes a bit and download 2 audio books a month. I would probably hav probs with anytime+ when it comes as I am very interested in the box set downloads which they hav on UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

8gb a month? Really?:pac:

• Advertisement

mad muffin wrote: »
    8gb a month? Really?:pac:

Yes it was 4 and they doubled it last Christmas a promotion and left it at that, I think it's called competition

Yes it was 4 and they doubled it last Christmas a promotion and left it at that, I think it's called competition

8gb a month is not nearly enough for home bb if you want to stream anything.

It will be gone in a matter of hours.

8gb a month is not nearly enough for home bb if you want to stream anything.

It will be gone in a matter of hours.

What would u need for anytime+ if you were to stream a box set series , let's say an hours streaming

What would u need for anytime+ if you were to stream a box set series , let's say an hours streaming

An hours streaming of SD is tipicaly in the range of 1gb for acceptable quality

HD would be at least 2.5gb.

I would say you would want at least 300gb a month if not unlimited, which is what Sky offer in the UK.

An hours streaming of SD is tipicaly in the range of 1gb for acceptable quality

HD would be at least 2.5gb.

I would say you would want at least 300gb a month if not unlimited, which is what Sky offer in the UK.

I think I will be waiting a good while for that on sat bb, maybe landline bb will come our way' we were supposed to be done 2 years ago but Eircom ran out of dosh

• Advertisement

Some info on the upcoming firmware for the Sky+ boxes
    Sky+ update allows undeleting recorded shows, more on-demand and future Catch Up TV

Sky+ has been on a bit of a tear refreshing its set-top boxes, and it's not about to stop now. When ready, a new update for the satellite TV provider's devices will let you undelete recorded programs; deleted shows are now moved to a separate space and only removed permanently either through age or if you really, really don't want to watch. If you're more interested in watching content that's always available, both Anytime and Anytime+ will be rebranded as On Demand, while the Sky Guide is adding a dedicated store tab for movie rentals. Catch Up TV is also nearing with the update and should aggregate the last week's worth of shows from Sky in addition to BBC iPlayer, Demand 5 and ITV Player. The gotcha, as we know all too well from these kinds of firmware revisions, is the timing. You'll have to have either a Sky+ HD 1TB box or the Sky+ HD DRX890 to get the upgrade early on, and Sky is staggering its deployment in a move that could leave some subscribers twiddling their thumbs.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/sky-update-allows-undeleting-recorded-shows/

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

When are Irish HD boxes likely to get this update does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xxyyxx

Who exactly are they competing against with that ridiculous cap?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

GEO147 wrote: »

December 22nd.... the day after the world ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

Got this update last night on my box, was powered off this morning which I thought was strange and then noticed the change of Anytime to On Demand etc...

Cool, wonder will I get to see the ITV player on it?
    hmm checked online, the option to activate anytime + just brings me back to the sky shop

Seems something is going on in the background for Anytime +
    I now get
    ##########################
    Unable to complete your order online
    Thanks for choosing Sky.

We are unable to complete your order online. You can continue browsing the site for information, but to place an order please call 0818 762 832 to speak to one of our agents.

I must do a force SW update on my sky box to see if anything changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

I must do a force SW update on my sky box to see if anything changes.

Did that yesterday on a Sky PACE HD box and no update :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

It's launching pretty soon so the updated will start pretty quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

t|nt|n wrote: »

I was wondering why there was a difference in the software on my boxes. I got a new 1TB multi room box installed the other day and the older box has the "On demand" on in instead of anytime. I'll just have to wait for the 1TB box to be updated :).

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-news-announcements/50170-sky-customers-enjoy-comprehensive-access-best-channel-4-demand-go.html

"Sky has also extended its relationship with Channel 4 for the carriage of Channel 4, E4 and More4 in the Republic of Ireland, where these channels form part of Sky’s subscription service.

For more information, customers can visit: www.sky.com/catchup. Catch-up content joins Sky’s TV on-demand service from October. Channel 4 content will be added in the new year."

So we will be getting 4oD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

114172_340.jpg

The Inbetweeners
    Father Ted
    The IT Crowd
    8 out of 10 Cats

All on demand.... Im so happy

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭homelink

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-news-announcements/50170-sky-customers-enjoy-comprehensive-access-best-channel-4-demand-go.html

"Sky has also extended its relationship with Channel 4 for the carriage of Channel 4, E4 and More4 in the Republic of Ireland, where these channels form part of Sky’s subscription service.

For more information, customers can visit: www.sky.com/catchup. Catch-up content joins Sky’s TV on-demand service from October. Channel 4 content will be added in the new year."

Thats the only reference to Ireland all this means is that sky have extended the agreement for channels we have already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Did that yesterday on a Sky PACE HD box and no update :confused:

AFIAK the forced sw update downloads the existing version of sw you have on our box. The download channel sw is only changed to the 'new' sw version after all customers of that model box have got the update. The reason behind this is that if there was an issue the box could be brought back to the original sw version prior to the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Can someone quickly update me please ? What exactly will Anytime + give us when it launches in Ireland ? Will we get the RTE Player and 3 Player on it ? Is it linked to Sky Broadband ? Do you need an internet connection to the Sky box to get Anytime + regardless of Sky Broadband ? Now that UPC have the RTE and TV3 players available, surely Sky will provide them through Anytime or their broadabnd service when that launches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

galtee boy wrote: »
    Can someone quickly update me please ? What exactly will Anytime + give us when it launches in Ireland ? Will we get the RTE Player and 3 Player on it ? Is it linked to Sky Broadband ? Do you need an internet connection to the Sky box to get Anytime + regardless of Sky Broadband ? Now that UPC have the RTE and TV3 players available, surely Sky will provide them through Anytime or their broadabnd service when that launches.

Well it's hard to exactly say. Sky are rebranding both Anytime & Anytime+ to "On Demand" and bundling BBCi player, ITV player, Demand 5 and I read 4oD (next yr) as well for the UK. Being as we can only view 4oD in Ireland, we might get a different view of the "On Demand" tab in the SW for an Irish Sub Card. Since it's taken a while for the UK players to get on to the UK Sky Anytime+ platform, I'd say it'll be a while for the Irish ones....

As for whether it'll work over any ISP... well I somehow doubt Sky will miss a trick with their planned DSL offering here.... unless others know differently?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

Well the way it works in the UK is that you need good broadband (probably at leaast 2Mb next generation/uncontended) ideally with no dowload limit (99% of irish providers do not offer truly unlimited download).

You connect your broadband to the Sky box via a computer (ethernet) cable at the back. This allows you to watch instantly whatever programs are allowed.

They may limit it to Sky broadband customers (but I doubt it). They may or may not have a similar offering to the UK. It may or may not include the Irish channels. At the moment it's all vaporware
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

At the moment the best way to get "on demand" if you are a Sky subscriber is to hook a laptop to your TV over HDMI or VGA and then access Sky go web version and RTE player, TV3 player web version etc. You still need good broadband and ideally truly unlimited broadband but it is available today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Mech1

Just been on the phone with Sky asking why I cannot get Anytime Plus working here in Dublin. I was told by the Sky representative that it was not available in ROI yet but to hold the line as he seen a brief go around his workplace this morning. After a few min he came back to me with the news that I would be able to access Sky Anytime Plus rebranded as Sky On Demand from October the 1st.

He mentioned that the "catchup" service available in UK would NOT be available.

Some good news anyway!

Advertisement