Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky On-Demand (formerly Anytime) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dino7

bk wrote: »
    Well one difference that Sky would need to make is connect into INEX (Irish Network Exchange) and setup peering agreements with all the Irish ISP's, in order to keep the peering costs low.

I'm sure neither UPC or Eircom (with their own IPTV plans) are going to rush to help Sky with this.

However I'm sure Sky will start offering it by the end of the year, as by then UPC will likely have launched their new fancy Horizon box and their own Video On Demand and catch up TV services.

Sky won't want to leave UPC get too far ahead of them.

You can access Sky anytime+ from ROI - you just need to have the proper entitlements. i.e. get a UK subscription with anytime+ enabled and plug it into the broadband network in the ROI. I don't think there are any technical blocks to doing this.

Of course serving VOD to a the ROI population en-masse would likely require some investment in local networking infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

There's a brief program on Anytime today about recieving Anytime+ with any broadband provider, so I rang sky customer services to check it out, I spoke to a lovely soft-spoken scottish lady who serched what was available to her, and she couldn't find any reason as to why we here in ROI shouldn't be able to avail of this service....
    So off I went moving my router to near the TV and plugged everything in. The 'Network' tab under 'Settings' on the sky box recognises the LAN... nice!! everything looks ok, so-far...so-good.... I go to -TV Guide - Planner - Download, and it tells me to visit sky.com/anytimeplus to activate/ recieve the service.. so that's what I do, enter my sky ID and log in.......
    And I get this message:

Unable to complete your order online
    Our records indicate you are based in the Republic of Ireland. Please visit www.skyireland.ie for pricing specific to your area or call 0818 719 819 to place an order.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Which is what I said in post #39!

Aren't you brilliant:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Mugser wrote: »
    Aren't you brilliant:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes, but sadly not everyone notices...:D

• Advertisement

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/sky-to-roll-out-online-film-rental-service-for-customers-3073856.html

From what's detailed this sounds like the "Sky Store" part of anytime+. Can't find other articles about this yet. Anyone else have other news along these lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

The ad on sky for sky store says it's part of anytime plus.

vampyre wrote: »
    The ad on sky for sky store says it's part of anytime plus.

Yes, Sky Store is one of the tabs on anytime+ in the UK.

It's not clear however from the report in the Independent if they may just roll out the Sky Store part of the service to ROI or if it'll be the full anytime+ service (including Sky Store).

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭mike2084

A answer to a tweet query by the Sky help team says they are working on licensing for ROI

http://twitter.com/#!/SkyHelpTeam/status/188662443495530496

A answer to a tweet query by the Sky help team says they are working on licensing for ROI

http://twitter.com/#!/SkyHelpTeam/status/188662443495530496

Jeez, that reply is worded much nicer than the one I got from them;

"Thank you for your email enquiring about the availability of Sky Anytime+ services.

I regret to inform you that you shall be intimated when the services of Sky Anytime + are available in the Republic of Ireland."

Whatever that means:eek:

• Advertisement

Mugser wrote: »
    Jeez, that reply is worded much nicer than the one I got from them;

"Thank you for your email enquiring about the availability of Sky Anytime+ services.

I regret to inform you that you shall be intimated when the services of Sky Anytime + are available in the Republic of Ireland."

Whatever that means:eek:

It means they're sorry to tell you that you will be told when sky anytime+ is arriving.:confused::confused::confused:
    It's bad enough to have poor English in CS of sny type, it's another to mangle the language:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rskelley75

pretty infuriating they couldn't say that on their site. i've just wasted 35 minutes on a sunday morning trying to figure out how to get it. a simple landing page explaining the situation isn't too much to ask.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

This was the reply I got from SKY :

Thank you for contacting Sky Help Centre.
    We currently have no agreement with Republic of Ireland Internet Service Providers, but negotiations are on going to allow our Anytime+ service to be provided in the near future.

Kind regards
    Steve
    Sky Help Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Johnny Johnson

What agreements are needed with ISP's? Do Netflix have agreements? Does this website have agreements?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

Sky broadband has no download caps, generally, otherwise they would reach the caps quite quick. There is another thread on Sky Broadband coming to Ireland.

They could launch without rolling out broadband but caps are a big issue, and if they roll out both their own uncapped broadband and Anytime+ at the same time, they could get more broadband customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Johnny Johnson

zg3409 wrote: »
    They could launch without rolling out broadband but caps are a big issue, and if they roll out both their own uncapped broadband and Anytime+ at the same time, they could get more broadband customers.

And that's all it is. Waiting for Sky Broadband to launch and then probably leave Anytime+ exclusive to that for a year. Typical shoddy treatment of their Irish customers. As soon as my contract is up I am finished with them.

zg3409 wrote: »
    Sky broadband has no download caps, generally, otherwise they would reach the caps quite quick. There is another thread on Sky Broadband coming to Ireland.

Neither does my ISP.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

A smart internet user would keep an eye on their broadband usage, and make sure they are not going over their download allowance and caps. I don't buy into it that Download Caps are a reason not to roll out Anytime+, or any IP based service from any provider for that matter. It didn't stop Netflix, it didn't stop the roll out of Sky Go, so why should it prevent the roll out of Anytime+ here. The more services like this that are introduced here in Ireland, the more competitive the ISPs get with their packages and so Download Caps become less of a problem. Waiting for the infrastructure to improve before rolling out these services ends up being a long waiting game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭DoubleBogey

Anyone got this working? It's now available on any isp but there's no info on how to activate it. "once your box is plugged into router and your anytime+ is activated..." thats great but how is it activated?!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Kurn

Anyone got this working? It's now available on any isp but there's no info on how to activate it. "once your box is plugged into router and your anytime+ is activated..." thats great but how is it activated?!

Its not possible in Ireland as far as I know, that's why there is no info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

Is sky anytime+ still not available in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

Tardis wrote: »
    Is sky anytime+ still not available in Ireland?
    According to sky in the UK anyway, work is progressing well but they will not commit to a launch date in Ireland, how long away in reality is anyone's guess.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

not available in ireland but plans for it are in place.
    Will be available sooner rather than later though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 agibbons

call sky customer care to get this service enabled. They told me it will be be available in November.

was told it will be called Sky On Demand

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

agibbons wrote: »
    call sky customer care to get this service enabled. They told me it will be be available in November.

was told it will be called Sky On Demand

Bingo........................:D

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Bingo........................:D
    What did they say when you called , the girl I got new nothing about it !:confused:

sharkman wrote: »
    What did they say when you called , the girl I got new nothing about it !:confused:

I didnt call..

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

Just signed up to test the Sky Ireland Broadband Service.

https://interest.sky.com/broadband/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

I didnt call..

so how did you get it? is your BB from UTV?

• Advertisement

billbond4 wrote: »
    so how did you get it? is your BB from UTV?

Nope... I wont go into detail, but use your imagination

Advertisement