Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Boy PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Might be worth look at NeX's GameBoy modding blog, he's done some fantastic stuff with various GB models

http://nex.gg8.se/modblog/

His SNES-Boy I'm particularly impressed with

http://nex.gg8.se/modblog/2010/01/snes-boy/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

ghostchant wrote: »
    Might be worth look at NeX's GameBoy modding blog, he's done some fantastic stuff with various GB models

http://nex.gg8.se/modblog/

His SNES-Boy I'm particularly impressed with

http://nex.gg8.se/modblog/2010/01/snes-boy/

Cheers, some nice mods there.

Well, it looks like my Pi got delivered somehow.
    I assume one of my neighbours signed for it. At least I don't need to fool around with redirecting it to work.
    Happy days.

Not my Pi but it gives an idea of the size. That's an AA battery by the way.

pi2.jpg

pi1.jpg

Pi Time :D:D:D

Lots of pics(sorry):

dsc1050j.jpg

dsc1051ai.jpg

dsc1054p.jpg

dsc1057z.jpg

dsc1052y.jpg

dsc1056e.jpg

dsc1058w.jpg

dsc1059sa.jpg

dsc1060z.jpg

dsc1061w.jpg

dsc1062h.jpg

dsc1063r.jpg

Lots to do, lots to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I cant believe im getting aroused by a circuit board :pac:

I cant believe im getting aroused by a circuit board :pac:

If you see it in its temporary home that'll sort out your urges :)

She aint purty but it'll do until I sort out the Game Boy. I created those lovely holes for the ports by stabbing like crazy with my SOG Seal Pup knife. Brilliant knife by the way if you can get your hands on one.

dsc1067s.jpg

dsc1068x.jpg

That's an external battery pack beside it by the way. Really handy thing it is as well, powers via USB or normal DC out for laptops etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Love the photos. And love the sneaky Sugru motto stuck inside the Gameboy!

waveform wrote: »
    Love the photos. And love the sneaky Sugru motto stuck inside the Gameboy!

You gotta have Sugru :)
    Best stuff ever.

Liz from the the Raspberry Pi Foundation just posted a comment and sent a very friendly email to me about the Game Boy PC that I'm putting the Pi in.
    She wants to feature it on the homepage when I've got it completed.

So, a little extra push to really make me get this thing done :)
    Still, best to take my time and do it right than feck it up in a rush job me think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ooh the pressure is on now Steve, don't worry, it's just the eyes of the world on you :D

14815459.jpg

EnterNow wrote: »
    Ooh the pressure is on now Steve, don't worry, it's just the eyes of the world on you :D

14815459.jpg

eeek!

The small wireless n card and 16GB USB drive that's going inside the Game Boy arrived today. Just as small as they looked on the site and wont take up much room inside the case(These will be on a mini powered USB hub I have that needs to be somehow mounted inside the case).

smallusb.jpg

I've also started toying with the idea of using the composite video on the Pi to run a 3.5" screen instead of the DSI connection on the PI that nobody seems to know much about yet. This will involve some extra modding to fit the screen in where the original 2.6" screen went.

As always, more research required but it would certainly add to the whole case mod if I had a working screen in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hurry up and build the damn thing already Steve!
    That way I can give you my money so you can build me one too!

I bagsy the first one btw!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Hurry up and build the damn thing already Steve!
    That way I can give you my money so you can build me one too!

I bagsy the first one btw!

And if it ends up looking like this?
    bombed-gameboy.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, then you can stick Boulder Dash on it and Sparks will buy it!

Well, then you can stick Boulder Dash on it and Sparks will buy it!

Haha, true enough.

But I should state I have no intention of selling these at the moment. I do plan to install Pi's in lots of retro devices so maybe I'll sell them on at some stage if I feel they are of a decent enough quality to leave the Steve SI Batcave :)

Well, I can see the Gamegear, Gameboy, Lynx, Nes and, with the provision of an extra button, the Megadrive being beautifully emulated on such a device, just sayin' is all.

Well, I can see the Gamegear, Gameboy, Lynx, Nes and, with the provision of an extra button, the Megadrive being beautifully emulated on such a device, just sayin' is all.

Yeah, I'd love to get all the original buttons/controls working as well as a couple of hidden buttons somewhere.
    But the problem is this is very much a dev board at the moment and it runs an ARM build of Linux so there is loads of work to do on the basic software side of things(by myself and others) to get things running smoothly.
    Even hooking up a button to it without using a keyboard is proving an issue.

Anyway, I knew this was going to be a lot of work on the software and hardware side of things so I cant complain about it.
    And I wont be doing any modding on the case this weekend as I've now to pop over to London for the weekend on a little job :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

You missed a trick by not using this Steve :D

gYQpv.gif

• Advertisement

Just grabbed one (ok two) of these to see if I can use it to map the Game Boy controls in the RasPiBoy over USB.
    The plan would be to gut the thing and use it without a case of course. This little pad is made by the same crowd who do the iCade.

$(KGrHqV,!lME3HUG+EEgBNyBuWFQow~~_3.JPG

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ION-New-GO-PAD-Folding-Computer-Game-Controller-Game-/110685682145?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item19c56179e1

The guy seems to be a bit of a basement dweller but it gives you an idea of the size of the pad(imagine it without the plastic shell and inside the RasPiBoy but using the original Game Boy buttons and DPad).

He's a bit odd, isn't he?
    A 9 min video with frak all close ups of the device in action just him, some odd mannerisms and his computer screen, not cool!
    But the pad looks nice.
    Pity it's not bluetooth though, then it might be mappable to the icade specs or be used with phones, mine plays grand games but the onscreen controls are only ever a poor compromise.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

He's a bit odd, isn't he?
    A 9 min video with frak all close ups of the device in action just him, some odd mannerisms and his computer screen, not cool!
    But the pad looks nice.
    Pity it's not bluetooth though, then it might be mappable to the icade specs or be used with phones, mine plays grand games but the onscreen controls are only ever a poor compromise.

Have you heard about the iControlPad? Bluetooth controller made by the same folks as that OpenPandora handheld. Works with iCade too whatever that iis (http://www.icontrolpad.com/compatibility/). Was tempted to get one myself for my Android phone but just don't play mobile games enough.

http://www.icontrolpad.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Steve SI wrote: »
    The guy seems to be a bit of a basement dweller but it gives you an idea of the size of the pad

Talk about uncomfortable viewing! I've never seen a demonstration video which made me feel so uneasy. He's like a mix between a salesman who doesn't believe in the product and a drunk 15 year old boy on his way out to his first nightclub.

Interesting device though. Seems like an ideal solution for your Gameboy.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Talk about uncomfortable viewing! I've never seen a demonstration video which made me feel so uneasy. He's like a mix between a salesman who doesn't believe in the product and a drunk 15 year old boy on his way out to his first nightclub.

Interesting device though. Seems like an ideal solution for your Gameboy.

Yeah, he's awkward a feck.
    Hopefully the pad is workable when I get that plastic shell off it. It seems like it should be fine and with a bit of luck I wont need to write a driver for it from scratch for the Pi ARM OS.

Speaking of Pi, I used a bit of Sugru on it last night to protect the GPIO pins while I'm working on it(one guy shorted out his Pi by touching the wrong pins with something by mistake).
    Sugru is non conductive by the way and very heat resistant.

Its not art but it'll do the job for the moment :0)

dsc1078w.jpg

dsc1081o.jpg

dsc1086gg.jpg

dsc1083c.jpg

First boards post from my Raspberry Pi.

Hello World etc etc....

First boards post from my Raspberry Pi.

Hello World etc etc....

Does this mean you have successfully compiled a driver for the Edimax wifi stick?

Gimmeh!

Or are you cheating by using a crossover cable instead? ;)

Halloooooo piiiiii.

Does this mean you have successfully compiled a driver for the Edimax wifi stick?

Gimmeh!

Or are you cheating by using a crossover cable instead? ;)

Halloooooo piiiiii.

Compiled a very alpha driver for the wifi :)

Compiled a very alpha driver for the wifi :)

Sweet!

Congratulations you wizard. Will you be posting it for the Pi community to use, collaborate, etcc...?

• Advertisement

Sweet!

Congratulations you wizard. Will you be posting it for the Pi community to use, collaborate, etcc...?

Yeah, It's not quite ready yet but they know I was working on it as I was speaking to one of them via email about it a while back.
    I shared some of my previous work with them so they knew I wasn't all talk and no trousers, so to speak :rolleyes:

Advertisement