Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Boy PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Simples..
    Plug it in :pac:
    acpc.png*

*case design subject to change....

Ahh, I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Steve SI wrote: »
    Ahh, I see.

The sheer disappointment is very evident :pac:

Spacedog wrote: »
    adafruit is prototyping a breakout shield for the pi...

raspberry-pi-gets-an-electronics-prototyping-plate-kit-20120427

That will keep the Arduino peeps happy.
    The sheer disappointment is very evident :pac:

Ah no, I'm sure it will look great when its made up. Do you have a purpose in mind for it?
    Also, are you going to have cables coming out for monitor/keyb/mouse/network etc or will it run headless and wireless?

Ah no, I'm sure it will look great when its made up. Do you have a purpose in mind for it?
    Also, are you going to have cables coming out for monitor/keyb/mouse/network etc or will it run headless and wireless?

Not sure yet, I havn't put much thought into it. I'll do up a proper design some time today.. Getting it manufactured though will be a different story... I'll need to find some cheap CNC machines :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Spacedog wrote: »
    adafruit is prototyping a breakout shield for the pi...

raspberry-pi-gets-an-electronics-prototyping-plate-kit-20120427

This is excellent news!

Prepare to see that GPIO (why do I inist on calling it "gypo" ;)) used to its fullest!

waveform wrote: »
    This is excellent news!

Prepare to see that GPIO (why do I inist on calling it "gypo" ;)) used to its fullest!

You tried Quake 3 on it yet or XBMC?
    Quake 3 runs really well, I'm surprised it's so smooth on such a weak system. XBMC still needs work though, a lot of work.

You tried Quake 3 on it yet or XBMC?
    Quake 3 runs really well, I'm surprised it's so smooth on such a weak system. XBMC still needs work though, a lot of work.

Nope, couldn't seem to find the download link to Raspbmc,
    in the mirrors they have a link to raspberry pi blog, but it just brings you to the main page.

Is there another release of XMBC for the Pi that isn't Raspbmc?

How do you go about installing it?

Must it be complied from source?

Cheers!

Nope, couldn't seem to find the download link to Raspbmc,
    in the mirrors they have a link to raspberry pi blog, but it just brings you to the main page.

Is there another release of XMBC for the Pi that isn't Raspbmc?

How do you go about installing it?

Must it be complied from source?

Cheers!

Yeah, you need to compile it or get a compiled version. It's not great to be honest at the moment, but give it time. Quake 3 really shows what can be done on such a limited device though. No sound on it yet but that will also come with time and proper drivers.

I hope to spend some time this week working on the Game Boy case as I've neglected that side of things a lot.

That case arrived today, broken and without bevelling where it should be.
    I'm not a happy camper and have sent the seller a polite message to resolve the situation quickly or I will kindly destroy them.

/Rant end.

$(KGrHqZ,!n4E9dES0,9,BPmGV(ttlQ~~60_12.JPG

• Advertisement

I'm not a happy camper and have sent the seller a polite message to resolve the situation quickly or I will kindly destroy them.

/Rant end.

$(KGrHqZ,!n4E9dES0,9,BPmGV(ttlQ~~60_12.JPG

Sorry to hear that man.

Was it badly packed?

He said he's waiting for black acrylic to come in Thursday, before he starts making the next batch.

Thats a disaster.

Can you post a pic of the damage?

Knowing you, you'de destroy him twice! :pac:
    That sucks though. Hope he sends out a new one

Sorry to hear that man.

Was it badly packed?

He said he's waiting for black acrylic to come in Thursday, before he starts making the next batch.

Thats a disaster.

Can you post a pic of the damage?

Not the best pic, but you can see the damage.
    He made the plastic to thin in the part that broke and posted it in a envelope, not a small box. The envelope was padded, but just barely.

faultycase.jpg

Not the best pic, but you can see the damage.
    He made the plastic to thin in the part that broke and posted it in a envelope, not a small box. The envelope was padded, but just barely.

faultycase.jpg

That sucks.

At the very least he could have used stiffened cardboard either side.

Where did he go wrong with the beveling?

It wasn't the port holes was it? :/

Or is it those 2 small rectangle holes which are too close to the edge of the plastic at the corners?

That sucks.

At the very least he could have used stiffened cardboard either side.

Where did he go wrong with the beveling?

It wasn't the port holes was it? :/

Or is it those 2 small rectangle holes which are too close to the edge of the plastic at the corners?

He sent this message about the bevelling the other day, so i was expecting that(actually its not countersunk thats the prob, not the bevelling exactly)
    Dear Customer

Thanks for buying the enclosure for the Raspberry Pi computer. We had many orders in one day and as a result we really had to rush to ship all packages. Due to all the rush, we may have accidentally included a bottom panel with screw holes that weren't countersunk yet meaning that the M3 countersunk hex. screws (part 9 in the user manual) won't fit properly. If this is the case for your shipment, you can countersink the holes yourself carefully with a countersink drill or with a 8-10 mm (0.3150-0.3937 inch) metal drill. Alternatively we can send a replacement bottom panel. Please reply to this message if required.

Best regards,

I got on to him/her/muppet this morning and said it was a silly mistake to rush them out as the Raspberry Pi case business is very new and there is a chance to make a decent amount of money on these. There will be many Pi owners over the next 2-6 months without a case who will be searching on ebay for them and checking out reviews of said cases on the various blogs and sites(and ebay itself of course).

Anyway, stupid move to rush them out. Spend an extra day on them and do it right.

/rant number 2 over

Edit:
    On another note, a new Raspberry Pi magazine(free).
    http://www.themagpi.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

/Rant end.

:(

+1 on the sorry to hear that count.

When I saw the cases were sold out before I could get one I was left wondering if acrylic was a bit fragile for a rigid case (A link to a Jerry Ellsworth video on how she was making a ramp out for a pinball machine thread said she wasn't using oven heated bent acrylic because it was too brittle).

I'd rather spent 10 minutes with a Dremel, sugrú, 2 altoids tins and electrical tape until I decided a permanent use for the Pi myself, but since mine's not arriving til June its a problem I wish i actually had. :P

He sent this message about the bevelling the other day, so i was expecting that(actually its not countersunk thats the prob, not the bevelling exactly)

Thanks for clearing it up.
    Didn't realize there was screws on the bottom too.

So basically its a PCB spacer / stand-off that they both screw into.

And they need to be countersunk as they will mark the ****e out of the surface they are on otherwise.

Even when they do countersink them properly I'm still reluctant

Those rectangles are simply too close to the edge, which is just another reason why your corner snapped off, besides the bad packaging.

It certainly needs a redesign, even it meant meant cutting the base and the top wider.

So I managed to do a bit of a repair on the case. The guy is sending me some replacement parts and after talking a bit over email for the day I'm also going to be testing out his other cases(different plastics, thickness's and designs).

It's not a bad case at all really and just needs a few tweaks on the design and it'll be much better.

Click each one for the full size image(it's worth it):
    dsc1141c.jpg

dsc1140p.jpg

dsc1143i.jpg

dsc1144f.jpg

dsc1145e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

GPIO header is inaccessible with the case on ?

GPIO header is inaccessible with the case on ?

Yeah, no access to it while the top is on. It's not that sort of case really.

Edit:
    Someone just posted a link to this over on the Pi forums. Seems to be the perfect case for use with a breadboard.

http://www.skpang.co.uk/catalog/raspberry-pi-cover-with-breadboard-area-red-p-1071.html

• Advertisement

The replacement part for that case arrive just now(very fast delivery from Belgium).

Same problem :(

faultycase2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

For god sake, can he not wrap them up a little better? I know that's likely a weak point...but if it's protected properly surely this shouldn't happen

EnterNow wrote: »
    For god sake, can he not wrap them up a little better? I know that's likely a weak point...but if it's protected properly surely this shouldn't happen

To be honest I was half expecting it to arrive like that. I was speaking to him(maybe a her actually) yesterday and he/she seems to be taking the advice on board.

My new Dremel and all the extra bits I ordered for it arrive just now in work. The mini joypad also arrived so I've no excuse any more (except lack of time) for not starting on the case mod.

I'll post a few pics later but I must say the Dremel is almost, dare I say it, sexy :eek:

Ok, So here are my new mod tools and accessories(the mini joypad is in there as well if you can spot it).
    This will be a very boring selection of pics for those not interested so apologies. I'm only posting them as they will all be used for modding the Game Boy case(as well as others). I've posted them in a small size so as not to fill a page with random non retro things. Click each pic if you want the full size version.

dsc1160nef.jpg
    dsc1153nef.jpgdsc1161nef.jpg

dsc1162nef.jpgdsc1157nef.jpg

dsc1158nef.jpgdsc1159nef.jpgdsc1156nef.jpgdsc1163nef.jpg

dsc1164nef.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Haven't been following every post in here but fair play for the amount of effort you're putting into this. Will the Pi really fit inside the GB casing height wise? Thought I saw a fairly tall looking multi-usb port on the device?

I take it you have several donor cases as backups? (Hopefully from broken GB's)

Andrew76 wrote: »

Many Gameboys died...to bring us this information.

Monmothma.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

EnterNow wrote: »
    Many Gameboys died...to bring us this information.

Monmothma.jpg

:eek:

tumblr_m3eufaNxTO1r69opoo1_250.gif

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Haven't been following every post in here but fair play for the amount of effort you're putting into this. Will the Pi really fit inside the GB casing height wise? Thought I saw a fairly tall looking multi-usb port on the device?

No backups actually. Well I have a few Game Boys but they work fine so do t want to touch them. I'm am looking for a few faulty ones on eBay but so far they're all in very bad condition.

So it looks like its got to be perfect first time :eek:

Edit:
    It will fit in the case by the way, with some help from the new Dremel.

• Advertisement

Dremel - Tool, of the Gods.

Advertisement