Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Boy PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Andy Taylor of the UK Computer Museum has turned out to be quite a Speculator when it comes to the Raspberry Pi....

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/883

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Happy Days, my Raspberry Pi just shipped from Farnell in the UK.
    :D

Steve SI wrote: »
    Happy Days, my Raspberry Pi just shipped from Farnell in the UK.

Same here! :D

I could have been the first to post about it on the Pi forum,
    but I was staying VERY quiet in case it was some mistake!

I had no idea we made the 10K, especially after I ordered @ 7:07am AFTER it was tweeted that Farnell were "sold out apparently".

My order status still says back order on my account though.

How about you?

Hmm, yeah it's the same.
    Hope it wasn't sent in error. We've had enough heartbreak with the Pi as it is.

Looks legit. icon14.gif

Seems like we'll have our own slice of Pi in a few working days! :D

• Advertisement

EDIT: FALSE ALARM....SEE NEXT REPLY

Steve we might be in trouble mate. Just got an exception e-mail, which I requested to be alerted by earlier in the case of such an event.

"Leeds, United Kingdom 13/04/2012 20:09 The service selected is not available to the destination address / Downgraded, forwarded to consignee, selected service is not available"

It could be to do with International shipping.

wonder is it being sent back to Farnell, it depends who they mean by "cosignee"

Good news, the status has gone green again and has advanced.

It appears it was just forwarded onto the international courier destination.

These exceptions are possibly commonplace, although I haven't seen one before.

Good news, My Pi arrived in Koeln, Germany this morning ???????????

Interesting route its taking from the UK to Ireland I must say.

Good news, My Pi arrived in Koeln, Germany this morning ???????????

Interesting route its taking from the UK to Ireland I must say.

Strange route alright, it's the exact same for me

I guess its more cost effective in a way though.

Centralize all the international packages in one point, and fly them out from there.

As opposed to throwing a few Pis into a courier van for Ireland, another Van for Europe, another van for the US etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭lostboy

is it dhl?

• Advertisement

lostboy wrote: »
    is it dhl?

UPS.

Yeah, UPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

UPS eurrrrggghhh, got charged €748 vat on a cisco switch during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

UPS are thieves, their billing department is a bunch of novelty plastic birds pecking the Y button on the keyboards.

Grabbed a new Dremel(my old one was pretty much dead), super small USB wifi adapter(it's tiny), super small 16GB USB key(also tiny) and a couple of Sandisk 8GB SD cards for different OS's to go into the Game Boy PC.
    All from Amazon UK for very little monies.
    I hope to get to work on the case mod and installation at the weekend.

I really want to keep the battery compartment in the Game Boy but with some of the 3D redesigns I've done up this evening it will be a whole lot easier to Dremel the compartment out and seal the back cover on.
    It'll also free up a load of room inside the case for other bits and pieces and I can always install a lithium ion battery inside the case at a later stage.

It's getting closer to decision time now that the Pi is on its way to me :o

Which chipset is the USB wifi adapter do you know Steve?

I might wait a few days to see which chipset is fully supported on ARM, and has drivers available.

I've just ordered a hdmi => dvi adapter and a micro usb cable from a Cork seller on ebay to ensure speedy delivery.

The tiny USB key is a great idea, haven't actually seen many teeny ones.

I'm getting really excited now!

waveform wrote: »
    Which chipset is the USB wifi adapter do you know Steve?

I might wait a few days to see which chipset is fully supported on ARM, and has drivers available.

I've just ordered a hdmi => dvi adapter and a micro usb cable from a Cork seller on ebay to ensure speedy delivery.

The tiny USB key is a great idea, haven't actually seen many teeny ones.

I'm getting really excited now!
    This is the wireless adapter and USB drive I grabbed.
    If the wireless doesn't work I'll do up my own driver for it as its easy enough to do as it uses the Realtek RTL8188CUS chipset.

Wireless
    41NhYNSHjUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

16GB USB
    81dnKuDpgeL._AA1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003MTTJOY/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005FYNSZA/ref=oh_o00_s00_i01_details

So they shipped my Raspberry Pi(and a load of other peoples I'd imagine) from the UK to Germany and then on to Ireland.
    I should probably feel a bit guilty about the carbon footprint involved in all this, but I don't :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

So they shipped my Raspberry Pi(and a load of other peoples I'd imagine) from the UK to Germany and then on to Ireland.
    I should probably feel a bit guilty about the carbon footprint involved in all this, but I don't :rolleyes:

When you look at the population of China, with 1.5 Billion people, & look at it's contribution to world pollution...I think it's fair to say that the illusion of being green is purely a self rewarding experience. It's nice to be efficient, but as individuals, we are making little or no impact on reducing co2 etc.

china-pollution.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I think it's better than nothing that some folk give a sh1t about this fairly fragile rock we live on - folk doing their bit no matter how small is a step in the right direction.

• Advertisement

With all my tech at home running 24/7 I do feel like I'm doing more than my fair share of damage so I try to reduce my usage as much as I can(monitors and other bits powering off when not in use etc).

But I think the mistake people make is saying "lets save the earth". The earth will be fine even if we wipe ourselves off the planet with war, pollution and nuclear holocaust. It might take a million years but the earth will repair itself and start again without us pesky humans around.

Anyway, probably a conversation for another forum or over a few dozen beers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

With all my tech at home running 24/7 I do feel like I'm doing more than my fair share of damage so I try to reduce my usage as much as I can(monitors and other bits powering off when not in use etc).

But I think the mistake people make is saying "lets save the earth". The earth will be fine even if we wipe ourselves off the planet with war, pollution and nuclear holocaust. It might take a million years but the earth will repair itself and start again without us pesky humans around.

Anyway, probably a conversation for another forum or over a few dozen beers.

Agreed, when I say fragile I mean us and the other life we share the same space with. Earth itself will be fine. Anyway, we need to get off this rock to have any future.

So, back on topic :P, when are you hoping to have this Gameboy PC up and running? Was it just one Raspberry Pi thing you got or a second as a backup aswell?

Well Steve, you wanted to know the size of the package....

8JGkI.jpg

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Agreed, when I say fragile I mean us and the other life we share the same space with. Earth itself will be fine. Anyway, we need to get off this rock to have any future.

So, back on topic :P, when are you hoping to have this Gameboy PC up and running? Was it just one Raspberry Pi thing you got or a second as a backup aswell?

Well, if we are to believe Michel de Nostredame then we will make it off at some stage in the future.

I've only ordered the one Rasp Pi as that's all they'll let you get at the moment and I'm really lucky to be in the first batch of them. This Pi is coming from Farnell but I've also expressed interest on the other distributor's site so we'll see how that turns out(you cant order from the other crowd yet).

The hardest part of making this Game Boy PC is going to be the modding of the case itself and not the software side of things. I hope to make a start this weekend on that and will take it slowly and see how we go.

As soon as they open up the ordering for the Pi's properly I'll be purchasing a lot more of them for various mods, projects and just playing around. I'll be installing Rasp Pi's in some very silly things in the not to distant future ;)

waveform wrote: »
    Well Steve, you wanted to know the size of the package....

8JGkI.jpg

Cool, now get some pictures of that bad boy up :D

I'll have to wait a day or so for my one as it's going to my home address and will probably have to be redirected to my work address unless they ask my neighbour to sign for it.

The batteries just bloody went on my camera but managed to get one:

ucCFd.jpg

I've started wearing a pair of crocs as slippers around the house lately,
    and only just yesterday I noticed I got a static shock when touching the dog on the head, and tried it with other metal objects too.

So the wrist strap is a must. Did a quick google and it appears crocs are highly prone to generating static. I'm glad I knew in advance. ;)

http://www.esdjournal.com/articles/Crocs/crocs.htm

Good stuff, hopefully my one wont take too long to get redirected.
    What's the plan for your Raspberry Pi??

Also, offer €50 for your Pi ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I think it's better than nothing that some folk give a sh1t about this fairly fragile rock we live on - folk doing their bit no matter how small is a step in the right direction.

As I said, it's nice to be efficient. But when you look at the output of the likes of China, India, the US etc...the everyday man is but a drop in the ocean compared to the big corporations.

Steve, the hard part will def be the case modding. It looks wider than I thought looking at waveforms pic...will it be a tight squeeze into the Gameboy case?

EnterNow wrote: »
    As I said, it's nice to be efficient. But when you look at the output of the likes of China, India, the US etc...the everyday man is but a drop in the ocean compared to the big corporations.

Steve, the hard part will def be the case modding. It looks wider than I thought looking at waveforms pic...will it be a tight squeeze into the Gameboy case?

It should fine I think. It's the ports that make it look larger than it is and they will be sticking out(to a certain extent) from the sides of the Game Boy.

Now, to fit it in the way it is in my video of the 3D model will require the battery compartment to be removed with a Dremel unless I have part of the top of the Pi sticking out of the top of the case(maybe the USB ports side, or the power connector).

I really don't want to screw up too many GB cases while learning from my mistakes so some extra planning will be required on this when I get the actual device.

• Advertisement

Good stuff, hopefully my one wont take too long to get redirected.
    What's the plan for your Raspberry Pi??

Also, offer €50 for your Pi ;)

Haha!

For now it will be very practical uses, going to hook my external hard drive and printer upto it, to use it as a file and print server, so I can access them from anywhere in the house.

And also as a Media Centre.

It will force me to get up off my ass and learn the linux terminal properly,
    and maybe just maybe, I might for once in my life develop a love for programming, and start making use of the GPIO header!

How about you?

Advertisement