Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Boy PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The possibilities!
    Only thing is, running the screen and buttons, you'd have to get driver software for the controls in there, it sounds like a considerable job.
    Would be most cool though!

Running the internal screen will be fine as long as I get the right one for the DSI connector. An external screen is sorted via HDMI and the controls will be ok as they will just be a standard keyboard. Joypads are also supported of course in the OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Steve SI wrote: »
    Maybe, although my brother, mother, neighbour and my girlfriends workplace might get an interest in Raspberry Pi boards if I really want more than one :D

I knew you'd say that. ;)

**** it I might order 2 for myself and Palmela.
    I won't be buying any for her five sisters though.

I'm heading away for a few weeks shortly and hope I dont miss it when they go on sale. It'd really piss me off to be on a plane for 11 hours and for them to go on sale then.
    They'll sell out very fast.

Nothing could possibly amuse me more if that actually happened! :D

BTW, is this you in the video Steve?

(Jesus,it even has a similar intro to your latest vid LOL!)

After much staring in the mirror and analysing if I live a sad, lonely and lady free life as the guy in the video probably does I can confirm that it is in fact not me.

But if I must be honest I do have more than one PS3 :o

I have a sad, lonely, lady free life AND I DON'T EVEN HAVE A PS3 FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

But if I must be honest I do have more than one PS3 :o.

As Cidey will state, multiple PS3's are a requirement unfortunately

Single-Blade-Disposable-Razor-H-101-.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Thanks for revisiting my pain.
    I am now making a slaps list for the next Beers, you have been warned!

I still haven't felt the need to replace the PS3 either!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I still haven't felt the need to replace the PS3 either!

I've a working one, & still don't feel the need to play it. It's a soul-less boring, piece of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

....Ive been looking for something new to electrocute myself with for a while........
    /looks closlier

Hmm, its becoming clear that the DSI connectors might not be usable for a while when the Raspberry Pi is released as they might not have drivers for them yet.
    This means no small screen can be attached to them. So the RasPiBoy will just be an PC initially than needs to be connect to a screen(via HDMI) as well as a keyb/mouse.

Not the end of the world I guess.

The Raspberry Pi will be like a fine wine, it will get exponentially better with time.

Plenty of other work will need to be done code wise, besides driver development.

The only thing I'm not looking forward to is all the bitching from ignorant, idiotic users on their forum, who are expecting it to be exactly like a commercial PC.

"This sux, i can't run windowz. I want a refund.... UR company is false advertising" etc....

• Advertisement

Well the Raspberry Pi went on sale this morning and both sites selling it crashed and burned. But after an hour or two I managed to order one :)

Now, have to wait until they arrive from China to the UK and then get shipped to me here in Ireland. Should be here around the 12th of March according to my order.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Should have built them in the UK tbh. They send way too much stuff abroad to be made nowadays.
    Should be fairly epic to see the finished gameboy result though :)

Should have built them in the UK tbh. They send way too much stuff abroad to be made nowadays.
    Should be fairly epic to see the finished gameboy result though :)

I'd say you'd be talking around £100 plus if it was made in the UK if not more.
    They just couldn't get the discounts they wanted and manufacturing is an art form over in China. No strikes, hard workers, top class facilities and of course the contentious issue of cheap labour(which is never as simple as most people seem to think).

As for the RaspiBoy, hopefully they get more stock of the boards soon in case I feck it up completely :D

manufacturing is an art form over in China. No strikes, hard workers, top class facilities and of course the contentious issue of cheap labour(which is never as simple as most people seem to think).

Thats one way of looking at it I suppose.

The way I see it, is that there's a huge reason there's no strikes and the people are worked to death.

And it's certainly not a society I would like to live in.

But that debate is for another thread.

Don't want to be filling it with negativity!

Must...

conjure..

up..

a...

smile...

Homer7.jpg

Cheers to the comments section of Gizmodo US and UK for crashing my website for a little while earlier :D
    25973 active users in the space of 60mins at around 3.30pm today.
    I didn't even notice until i was checking the logs a few mins ago.
    And I was giving out about the 2 partner sites for the rasp pi earlier :o

A bit mad that 3 or 4 comments(one by me) on those sites can lead to such an amount of traffic.

Here's my next case mod for the Rasp Pi. I'm going extra retro with this one and using a circa 1946 Kodak Six-20 Brownie C camera.
    It's still in the design stage right now but I have everything I need(except a Raspberry Pi )

Some pics of the actual camera:
    Click for much larger versions(very large).

DSC_0906%20%28Custom%29.JPG

DSC_0907%20%28Custom%29.JPG

DSC_0908%20%28Custom%29.JPG

DSC_0909.NEF%20%28Custom%29.jpg

DSC_0910%20%28Custom%29.JPG

DSC_0911%20%28Custom%29.JPG

More here on the project page:
    http://www.retrovia.ie/showthread.php/9839-Kodak-Six-20-Brownie-C-%28Raspberry-Pi-case-mod%29

http://bit.ly/BrowniePi

Steve! How are you feeling today my good buddy, oul pal! :D

zz749.jpg

Oh and btw, you didn't happen to get that em.........*cough*
    3d printer of yours yet? ;)

*cough*

http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/raspberry-pi-gets-a-case-you-can-download-and-3d-print-2012035/

I must say your posts are looking mighty well lately! ;)

No 3D printer yet but it has been ordered. Takes a bit of time to get them as I think they're made to order. I'm looking forward to it, and not just for the rasp pi.

What I'm really after now is a 3D scanner as my home made ones haven't worked out accurate enough(i posted a few vids of the results somewhere on the forum here a while back). It's been fun trying different approaches to it but i just want a box I put something into and it spits out a 3d image file to my PC.

I thought there would be a few scanners knocking around but I've not found one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

No 3D printer yet but it has been ordered. Takes a bit of time to get them as I think they're made to order. I'm looking forward to it, and not just for the rasp pi.

What I'm really after now is a 3D scanner as my home made ones haven't worked out accurate enough(i posted a few vids of the results somewhere on the forum here a while back). It's been fun trying different approaches to it but i just want a box I put something into and it spits out a 3d image file to my PC.

I thought there would be a few scanners knocking around but I've not found one yet.

When you say "haven't worked out accurate enough" is the problem that the tolerances it outputs aren't high enough for making, say, snap together parts?

A pain to get it to work but I'm getting there. The version of mame I've got working is the very old 0.35 Beta 3 which was released in feb 1999. So its not great and running very slowly with all the loop holes I have to jump through to get it to work.

Just saw this on hackaday,
    a user managed to get Mame 0.106 (a 2006 release) running on the Virtual Box image for the Raspberry Pi:

http://hackaday.com/2012/03/22/the-first-raspberry-pi-build-is-a-mame-machine/

Moar progress!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Steve, they got a cupcake makerbot in the Dublin TOG hackerspace, I'd say they wouldn't mind you using it for this project if you brought your own filament.

SD.

waveform wrote: »
    Just saw this on hackaday,
    a user managed to get Mame 0.106 (a 2006 release) running on the Virtual Box image for the Raspberry Pi:

http://hackaday.com/2012/03/22/the-first-raspberry-pi-build-is-a-mame-machine/

Moar progress!

Happy days :D

As time goes by and people actually get the board in their hands we will see lots of emulators ported to it.

Spacedog wrote: »
    Steve, they got a cupcake makerbot in the Dublin TOG hackerspace, I'd say they wouldn't mind you using it for this project if you brought your own filament.

SD.

Cheers, but my Makerbot replicator with dual extruders and multiple colour filaments should be here in a few weeks. So I should be able to play around on that when it arrives.

Now all I need is a decent 3D scanner and I can start scanning in hard to find retro console/computer and arcade parts.

@a5y
    The results I got with the homemade scanner has been very bad. Definitely not good enough for parts and components.
    I'll post up a vid or two of the results later and you'll see how fun, but unusable they are.

Cheers, but my Makerbot replicator with dual extruders and multiple colour filaments should be here in a few weeks

817718.jpg

I have a BFB 3d printer in work,
    IMO there not that usefull!
    sure I've made a good few thing but mostly just toys!
    I'll be making a raspberry pi case for my mate

@a5y
    The results I got with the homemade scanner has been very bad. Definitely not good enough for parts and components.
    I'll post up a vid or two of the results later and you'll see how fun, but unusable they are.

Thanks, though if its too inconvenient to shoot a video any photo of a part you didn't find satisfactory would tell me a lot too about what's not cutting it.
    Cheers, but my Makerbot replicator with dual extruders and multiple colour filaments should be here in a few weeks. So I should be able to play around on that when it arrives.

Now all I need is a decent 3D scanner and I can start scanning in hard to find retro console/computer and arcade parts.
    Have you any requests for parts you'd like CADed up?

I'm currently modelling my Mk 2 Sega Saturn (roundy button) in SolidWorks, and I wouldn't mind hearing suggestions for other stuff to do.

I've a few other joypads, cartridges and other bits and pieces I bought on eBay purely to by to a callipers for CAD practice, and if something you wanted done was on my list I'd be happy to make it a priority.

a5y wrote: »
    I'm currently modelling my Mk 2 Sega Saturn (roundy button) in SolidWorks, and I wouldn't mind hearing suggestions for other stuff to do.

I've a few other joypads, cartridges and other bits and pieces I bought on eBay purely to by to a callipers for CAD practice, and if something you wanted done was on my list I'd be happy to make it a priority.

A Sega Neptune :cool: I wonder if the dimensions etc are online...

EnterNow wrote: »
    A Sega Neptune :cool: I wonder if the dimensions etc are online...

To be honest I'd considered the Neptune, but quickly gave up on the idea. As I see it to justify building one you'd have to lay out the boards in such a way that they won't die of heat, shorts, dustbunnys etc.

I've no experience with that, whatsoever. When I ordered a PC I paid HWV extra so I wouldn't have to assemble it myself.

Since the Neptune never went beyond the concept stage and the photos online are really not even an empty shell, it couldn't be made look like that using existing motherboards without big heat and reliability problems.

That said, it'd never stop someone sticking a Pi in there with a bunch of emulators and then... er...

Say, has anyone got any nice high res images of the Sega Neptune shell? No reason. Ahem. Just curious.

• Advertisement

Found a 3D scanner that will do what I need it to.
    I'll need to track down a second hand one as they go for 20-30k new. They seem to be around a tenth of that price second hand. More research needed but I'm on the right track anyway.

Advertisement