Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunphy describes Ireland as a Kip, a Dump.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

MrStuffins wrote: »
    "Back in my day we had to walk 5 miles barefoot through the snow to school.. and 7 miles back!!"

'Yadda yadda!

Yadda, yadda:rolleyes:

Perhaps a visit to http://www.museum.ie/en/intro/country-life.aspx would realise that life isn't so bad here. Just because some of us can't afford that overpriced home they bought doesn't mean the life is that hard here.

We got accustomed to a lifestyle that was unsustainable because pay and tax got out of hand. A labourer in another country wouldn't be able to afford two sun holidays a year, and the same will be the case here. Our lifestyle has to return to international norms. It will be hard to adjust to, but we have no choice in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Somebody said our Health Service is crap.

I don't know. My Dad couldn't get a private room to pass away in privacy, despite paying Health Insurance all his working life.

Damn fecking annoying and infuriating.

Crap? No. He died in peace, had fantastic care, the best medication, heat, decent food and great staff attending to him.

Yep, first world problems, definitely! ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yadda, yadda:rolleyes:

Perhaps a visit to http://www.museum.ie/en/intro/country-life.aspx would realise that life isn't so bad here. Just because some of us can't afford that overpriced home they bought doesn't mean the life is that hard here.

We got accustomed to a lifestyle that was unsustainable because pay and tax zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........................................

fyp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

OP, I think you are confusing negativity with realism.

If i'm being bent over a car bonnet with a massive 9ft hairy gay guy behind me about to f*ck me, forgive me if I react with appropriate scorn.

And in case you haven't noticed, we're all figuratively bent over a car bonnet right now and have been for a good while now.

So forgive me if i don't look over my shoulder and say "Thank you sir, may I have some more?"

You've put a fair bit of thought into this, haven't you.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

fyp

Intelligent and witty riposte as always Mr. Stuffins :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

fyp

You're a very rude man Stuffins :pac:
    But I like you. You are my type of guy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Was he correct to describe our little country as a dump?
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Sindri wrote: »
    You've put a fair bit of thought into this, haven't you.;)

Yup. His name is Rodrigo!! :pac:
    Intelligent and witty riposte as always Mr. Stuffins :rolleyes:

Thank you
    LighterGuy wrote: »
    You're a very rude man Stuffins :pac:
    But I like you. You are my type of guy :pac:

I prefer the term "Impertinent!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I've lived here for 25 years baby

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

its a good country just run by a shower of cnuts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

give us a bite, baby

see his Mcdonalds ad?! Flogging junk from a dump suggests some kind of tinker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Who runs the dump at night..... only the rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,252 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

He's right. It's a ****hole! I mean look around you. It's full of knacks and scumbags!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

"Thank you sir, may I have some more?"

that's a negative now back into your manacles, billy be little

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

gammygils wrote: »
    He's right. It's a ****hole! I mean look around you. It's full of knacks and scumbags!

*Looks*

*Sees only gammygills*

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I'm sick of all the people on here, and in the real world, who keep going on about how Ireland is a dump and it's fcuked blah blah blah blah.........

If you don't like it, F*** OFF. Let the rest of us get on with it, we don't want you here, bringing the rest of us down.

Looking forward to all the smart arse replies..................:D

I have a soft spot for Eamon Dunphy,you were watching him on the LL,yes?

He tells it like it is!;)

Thread Merge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Was this now, or did he say it in 2222?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Dunphy is a gigantic spa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Dunphy has a personality disorder and should not be employed by TV stations/media until a doctor gives the OK. If he can't find decent coke in Ireland he should fcuk off back to La Belle France and stay there. At least over there the garlic will counteract his halitosis :mad: and there are better face-lift clinics. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Nah I disagree. I've looked around me - it's grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I've been travelling around Europe quite a bit recently and I can assure you Ireland is NOT a dump!

Compared to most places I visited, it's very pretty and high quality looking!

Quite a lot of European cities and town have architectural old cores and utterly grim new suburbs consisting of faceless apartment blocks.

Even France is full of crappy looking urban areas that would depress you on a wet day in a way that very few Irish town would!

Also Irish food (not traditional, but I mean cafes, etc) is extremely varied and good! You can nearly starve in France if you dislike microwaved reheated soggy ham and cheese toasted sandwiches eh, croque Monsieur etc etc

Anyway, if you think Ireland is a kip ... Travel ...you'll come back with very different perspectives ...

The only thing I do think is dire here is the weather !!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

I love Ireland, each morning I get to ride out from my picturesque farmhouse

near Grange on various trails . There are some wonderful stretches of beach

for fast gallops.

When a few EU cheques have accumulated I go to the town with the whole

family and spend the day shopping having lunch out...see some of Sligo's art

galleries, shops, restaurants.....depending on the farm

demands..the guests who use the self catering apartments ( converted old

stables) mostly young people dont become too busy until June....so I have

loads of time to look after the farm and the hill sheep ..etc....

I think Ireland is the best place in the world..... ....Dunphy has his glue...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Yeah but you're in Tuam. We're talking about Ireland here, not the worst parts of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Solair wrote: »

Compared to most places I visited, it's very pretty and high quality looking!

Quite a lot of European cities and town have architectural old cores and utterly grim new suburbs consisting of faceless apartment blocks.

The Dunph wasn't making reference to our built environment or the aesthetics of our towns and cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

It is a shíthole.
    Would want to have some serious problems to not see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

No i dont like it dont like it at all.

You don't like Ireland, or you don't like Dunphy calling Ireland a dump?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

Ireland is a grand little country if you happen to have a safe, secure pensionable job, are not in negative equity, or have children with special needs, or on a hospital waiting list with a serious illness. For those that don't however, they may be forgiven for thinking at times that Ireland really does seem like a dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

K-9 wrote: »
    Somebody said our Health Service is crap.

I don't know. My Dad couldn't get a private room to pass away in privacy, despite paying Health Insurance all his working life.

Damn fecking annoying and infuriating.

Crap? No. He died in peace, had fantastic care, the best medication, heat, decent food and great staff attending to him.

Yep, first world problems, definitely! ;)

The poster I think you are referring to, was not attacking Health Service staff. But rather its treatment by successive governments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

SV wrote: »
    It is a shíthole.
    Would want to have some serious problems to not see that.
    Serious problems? Hyperbole much?
    If having a bit of perspective is akin to having serious problems, then what does one call making OTT statements like yours?
    Ireland does have problems - no question. There are some people going through awful difficulties. This does not make it a sh1t-hole. Standard of living here in general is off the chart. I look out at where I live - an old-skool working-class part of Cork, and I just see comfort and contentment thankfully.

Seriously, are the spoilt brats on this thread for real? F'ucking Celtic Tiger cubs. I remember Ireland in the 80s when things were infinitely bleaker and it WAS a bit of a ****-hole. Don't care if I sound like an auld fogey - some kids today really don't know how good they have it. Because they're used to such excess during the "boom".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

TheZohan wrote: »
    People aren't motivated enough yet to do something.

Here's an example of something that someone posted two years ago:

Nobody gave a crap, not as much as a single thanks.

And this week.

Same topic has nearly 500 replies, 35,000 views and 1500 thanks(a boards record).

TheZohan, I take my hat off to you Sherlock. Most excellent indeed.

Advertisement