Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Quality of Radio in limerick / Big Headed Terrible radio Presenters

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I always thought spins target audience was shams and the ''modified'' sh1tbox honda civic/starlet etc fraternity.

You'd be right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I can't listen to either one (Spin or 95) for more than 5 minutes without vomiting blood.
    If you hear an artist on 4FM, it means they are officially washed up.
    In our office we mostly have Today FM in the morning (dire, but the best of a bad lot at that time), Newstalk and from 3 o'clock onwards it's Lyric. And Lyric is by far my favourite.

Check it out, The John Kelly Ensemble, the guy plays the weirdest, most out there, left of field, totally off your rocker stuff.
    He especially seems to like Bjork, Tom Waits, Kate Bush, a lot of Jazz and the weirdest modern avant garde classic and alternative stuff you'll ever hear.
    Even once a cover version of Kraftwerks The Robots by a string quartet.
    It really is the ONLY thing on radio that isn't talk about the economy, mindless drivel by morons, sh*t music from Now! compilations or Mary talking about her cat to Joe.

And on the way home it's CD's all the way, where else do I get to hear AC/DC and Iron Maiden?
    Irish radio is a relentless sea of beige vomit with very few exceptions.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Lyric is actually really underrated. Really good presenters and good music (imo).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I can't listen to either one (Spin or 95) for more than 5 minutes without vomiting blood.
    In our office we mostly have Today FM in the morning (dire, but the best of a bad lot at that time), Newstalk and from 3 o'clock onwards it's Lyric. And Lyric is by far my favourite.

Check it out, The John Kelly Ensemble, the guy plays the weirdest, most out there, left of field, totally off your rocker stuff.
    He especially seems to like Bjork, Tom Waits, Kate Bush, a lot of Jazz and the weirdest modern avant garde classic and alternative stuff you'll ever hear.
    It really is the ONLY thing on radio that isn't talk about the economy, mindless drivel by morons, sh*t music from Now! compilations or Mary talking about her cat to Joe.

And on the way home it's CD's all the way, where else do I get to hear AC/DC and Iron Maiden?

Define "washed up", because I haven't heard much new from Kate Bush, Tom Waits, AC/DC or Iron Maiden in years - are they still recording ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Define "washed up", because I haven't heard much new from Kate Bush, Tom Waits, AC/DC or Iron Maiden in years - are they still recording ?

Tom Waits released an album this week or last, Kate Bush released last year. The Maiden have approximately 1,000 albums out at this stage but couldn't tell ya when the last one was, and AC/DC released something in the last 2/3 years if I remember correctly?

Anyway, yeah, John Kelly knows his music.

• Advertisement

CiaranMT wrote: »

Tom Waits released an album this week or last, Kate Bush released last year. The Maiden have approximately 1,000 albums out at this stage but couldn't tell ya when the last one was, and AC/DC released something in the last 2/3 years if I remember correctly?

Anyway, yeah, John Kelly knows his music.

And I've heard both KB & TW on 4FM, so that kinda scuttles your "washed up" argument.....if anything, the biggest irritation is their deviation toward this week's fad / soon-to-be-washed-up tripe.

Cheers for the heads up re TW though - I'm off to see if he's managed to surpass "Closing Time"

The Thrills where played on 4FM the other day...;) (that's my definition anyway)
    Eagles and Abba are not so much washed up, but it's right along a lot of other tunes that have been played 60 million times and make my ears bleed at this stage. They might not be bad tunes, but seriously overplayed, that can kill anything, Money by Pink Floyd and Stairway to Heaven are two tunes I can NEVER listen to again without having a fit.
    Tom Waits, Kate Bush, Bjork, going strong and recording. They're just not played that much on mainstream radio, which is geared towards housewifes and teenagers.
    Iron Maiden and AC/DC are part of the dinosaur graveyard that is my mp3 player, along with Isaac Hayes, Queen, Beatles, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Kraftwerk, RHCP, Cream and so on, classics don't wash up.:p
    And I don't mind them not being on radio, that's what CD's and mp3's are for.

edit:
    When you say KB and TB on 4FM, they only ever play one or two tunes by most artists.
    Point in case (for TodayFM at least): I'm sure Aretha Franklin recorded more songs than Say a Little Prayer and Think. Are they (her hundreds of other songs) ever played? No.

On Tom Waits: Check out Nighthawks at the Diner. great album.

The Thrills where played on 4FM the other day...;) (that's my definition anyway)

The Thrills, are now, and forever shall be, fúcking awesome. End. Of.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The Thrills, are now, and forever shall be, fúcking awesome. End. Of.

Not arguing with you, maybe not my cup of tea, but not a bad little band.
    It's more a shame they ended up on 4FM, it's a pity they disappeared from the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Scream for me Dr Fuzzstein's car.

YEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Scream for me Dr Fuzzstein's car.

YEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

:D

• Advertisement

Kate Bush and Tom Waits had new albums out last year. Both are rumoured to be releasing more new material this year also.

The Mighty Maiden brought out their 15th studio album in 2010 and have a new live album out in a few months.

And for Springsteen lovers (and who with taste is not?) there is a new album out on the 2nd of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

My own spin on it, if you pardon the pun, is that yes, the Live 95fm mainstream playlist is terrible (saying that there is other content on the station that is excellent). But on the other hand they top the local JNLR ratings consistently - see this week's Limerick Post for the latest figures. As they're a wholly commercial station, they have to have high listenership figures to attract advertisers. So the logic is why fix it if it ain't broken, because if you "fix" it, you risk frightening away listeners which will in turn scare away advertisers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

zuroph wrote: »
    nah sure we all know the reason live 95fm is number one was they bribed and brainwashed people to say "I listen to limericks live 95" whenever someone asked what station they listened to.

What was it they used to offer people, 50 quid? They still do this?

I was always ready with a response for them if they ever stopped me on the street, and I wouldn't be 50 quid better off after it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 joey tallaght

Gallee wrote: »
    95FM. Mark & Catriona in the morning is car crash radio, pretty dreadful stuff, followed by Joe Nash who is a cure for insomnia. Joe tries but lets some clown who phones in to repeat his point over and over and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. I have to agree those adds with a fake American accent? Whats that about?

I think if joe nash was a dog he would be a jack russell. his voice is so so so so so so so sooooooo annoying. but then again he is the ceo so perhaps no one will tell him his presenting style is utter ****e!

I think limerick needs a relay of the uk's bbc radio 1. Think of the amount of listeners that would tune in rather than listen to the monoselabic dribble of spin or the deaths/oldness of live 95. As for mark and catriona.... they remind me of my mom trying to be cool in front of my freinds... and failing miserably.

to finish on a positive Gary Connors is quite ok to listen to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 joey tallaght

gaf1983 wrote: »
    My own spin on it, if you pardon the pun, is that yes, the Live 95fm mainstream playlist is terrible (saying that there is other content on the station that is excellent). But on the other hand they top the local JNLR ratings consistently - see this week's Limerick Post for the latest figures. As they're a wholly commercial station, they have to have high listenership figures to attract advertisers. So the logic is why fix it if it ain't broken, because if you "fix" it, you risk frightening away listeners which will in turn scare away advertisers.

There is no where else for them to go... I mean 2fm/todayfm/4fm obviously isnt their cup of tea as they listen to live 95 (ref. jnlr figures). In theory live 95 cud broadcast someone taking a dump (before the deaths of course) once an hour with a limerick accent and the old biddies of limerick would listen. I think their target audience will all hit a certain age and die and then their will be no listeners as most/all are of a "certain age" (ie ancient)and only listen because they always have... they must have listened 20 years ago when there may have been better programming.

I just wish there was ONE rock station to listen to!

Online radio is your friend.

As an example, Maiden's Charlotte The Harlot is playing right now on Real Radio XS.

http://www.realradioxs.co.uk/music

It's one thing I really like about when I take the car with me when going home. As soon as I drive off the ferry I can pick up good rock/metal/punk/alternative stations on FM or on DAB, so I have the choice of what I like on the radio or or sticking with CDs.

Over here the radio selection is generally pretty dire.

Adrian Smith's band, Primal Rock Rebellion, are on now.

Parlor Mob up next. They are a pretty cool band, heavily influenced by 70's rock.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Am I the only one who enjoys listening to Raidío Na Gaeltachta?

• Advertisement

No idea as to what it is like during the day, but have listened to Anocht FM a few times at night as some of the shows can be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

caught my eye - the Balanescu Quartet of course, who have a line in Kraftwerk covers.

Regional radio just sucks - its either Mom and Pop or the worst wanna-be mid-Atlantic drivel by and for congenital idiots.

Ah what are you doing in the Limerick forum? :p;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

you kept bumping this thread to the top of the new posts page so had to have a look :)

and now I'm playing live Kraftwerk on youtube when I should be thinking about bed :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Nope, An Taobh Tuathail is a great show 9pm, havent listened in a while though

ULFM, Wednesday nights, 9pm-11pm. #station_plug :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You can say what you like about 95 FM, but you still have to admit there's nobody better for commentary on local hurling. Liam Aherne is a magician. Come on Na Piarsaigh!

wnolan1992 wrote: »

ULFM, Wednesday nights, 9pm-11pm. #station_plug :pac:

I thought that was called Weird or Wired ?

I thought that was called Weird or Wired ?

Wired FM is Mary I and LIT. ULFM was only launched last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Every time I listen to Spin South West I feel like I'm losing intelligence.The presenters are complete fools.

Advertisement