Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Quality of Radio in limerick / Big Headed Terrible radio Presenters

Options
  • 27-01-2012 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

So here I was, coming back from dublin where generally the quality of radio presenting is excellent because there is such a small market for such a large number of radiostations competing for it. what led me to writing this was me in a car with a radio that would only pick up spin southwest for around an hour of my 2 hour journey to Limerick, spin SW had a girl presenter talking about herself, her hair, how she has no valentine for this valentines day. She was coughing on air, CONSTANTLY talking about herself, had the weirdest pronounciation and she is not the only presenter at that station that is doing this.
    In dublin the same show goes out but is presented by a presenter 10,000 times better, and
    Its 2011, in light of recent economic times, surely the most important person to radiostations is the listener and not the presenters ego. You would think by listening to spin that they were hollywood A listers (albeit with severe presentation issues!!) that everyone wants to know about. But in reality they are ex community radio presenters or people who know someone working there so ended up with a presenting job "just because" who really REALLY need training and learn that the listener is number 1 and not the presenter. Spin Suthwest's "presenters" also need to understand the importance of pronounciation (ie. basic things like the station name "SPIN SOUTHWEST" not "SPIN SOWWWWWEST") I wonder where these monosyllabic freaks learned the art of radio presenting, certainly not in a broadcasting / presenting course.

Having said that (and on a more positive note) the presenter on before her was A LOT better, he didnt talk about himslef constantly and the interaction between him and his listeners was not awkward to listen to, it was infact natural sounding. NATURAL, not being a word I would normally associate with spin southwest .

What do people think of the quality of radio in limerick (ie. the 2 stations live 95 and Spin SW)? Would be very interested in others opinions...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

i dunno joey, listening to spin southwest right now, sometimes i'll listen to 95fm aswel, i have to be honest i'd sooner listen to those presenters than raynal foley or ray d'arsey...

comes down to personal preference really... :|

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Listner to neither. Between the numerous adverts and presenter waffle it's not worth listning to the radio. Even when they do play music it usually is like they just popped in the free music cd that came with the Sunday Mirror over and over again. 95FM are terrible for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

I don't really ever listen to Spin so can't comment on it. Live95FM on the other hand is absolutely dire, its an utter disgrace. I really cannot fathom how it has lasted so long..:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

xsiborg wrote: »
    i dunno joey, listening to spin southwest right now, sometimes i'll listen to 95fm aswel, i have to be honest i'd sooner listen to those presenters than raynal foley or ray d'arsey...

Wow my opinion of you has dropped to minus a thousand and dropping. Spin southwest is one of the worst stations on the planet. galtee radio in ncw is better than it and prob better than 95FM too and that is sayin something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Can't stand Spin or 95fm. Classic Hits 4FM all the way for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I listen to Dempsey in the morning and Paul McLoone in the evening otherwise it's Newstalk or 4FM. I really can't stand most other stations/DJs.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Except that they seem to be morphing into talk radio these days. Everyday day from about 1 to 3 and 9 to midnight, which is usually the times I am on the road, I really hate those phone in talk shows.

By the way why does classis4fm have to be changed constantly on the road from Dublin to maintain the signal. Do they not have a signal/radiowave- or whatever its called - for the whole country-, it even fades on the way to Kilkee ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

In general I find Irish radio to be quite poor all round. Gerry Ryan was about all I used listen to- fair enough he might be somewhat similar to some current presenters elsewhere but he had an edge and carisma to him. I cant stand Live 95 or Spin!

BBC Radio 1 all the way if you ask me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I posted all of this back in 2008:
    I just find everything about it completely repulsive. The music playlist is awful. The 5 word weather gimmick is a mockery of the meteorological system. The advertising is not only repetitive, but is also delivered in a hideous NYC accent, with sound-bites thrown in left, right and centre for no apparent reason. The DJs (and I use that term loosely) chat away about serious news items the same way they'd discuss a bad take-away, then rant on about how great the "celebrity" in their entertainment news section is.

The music, the advertising of products/services/places, the endless self-pimping and the general content of their links are focused entirely on self-gratifying, immediate-satisfaction-or-it's-not-important, party-or-you're-not-cool bullshit. The whole thing stinks of idiocy, skewed perspective on reality and an ethos that the sole ambition of youth should be to get rich, go clubbing, buy stuff and make love in this club.

My feelings haven't changed.

My problem is not just with the incredible lack of quality/talent which Spin possesses, but also with the influence of their mind-numbing ethos as a station. One of their soundbites is as follows: "We're not exactly Morning Ireland". It sums up pretty much everything about them: i) they have no interest in anything remotely important in the real world, ii) they promote the idea that ignorance and nonchalence are positive qualities, iii) they infer that celebrity, excess and indulgence are what its young listenership should strive towards.

It sums up pretty much everything about them: i) they have no interest in anything remotely important in the real world, ii) they promote the idea that ignorance and nonchalence are positive qualities, iii) they infer that celebrity, excess and indulgence are what its young listenership should strive towards.

That is bang, spot on IO!

Care to do one about 95fm - it used to be a really good station in the early 90's as far as I can recall. Then when I was working in Dell and having to listen to Mark and Catriona "cringe" every morning, i began to loathe it more than I had already.

The only thing its good for is the matches with Len Dineen but everything else is just mind numbingly boring or played to death. Its like as someone said above they play the songs from the free cd you get with the sunday papers!
    It should have a bigger budget as its owned by ITV/UTV...compared with the likes of today fm and rte, (ok they are national stations) their music choice is old if you understand me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

From 2007:
    As for Live 95, it's been banned from the family car in the mornings. The Breakfast Show goes beyond all reasonable boundaries of taste. Late Night Love used to be pretty funny, when I was 13 I knew a few guys who sent in fake love requests for our teachers. :D The presenter tries to be enthusiastic, but it's still bottom of the barrel radio. I'm at the stage where I only listen to CDs now, can't stand radio anymore.

And from a 2010 thread:
    95 FM's idea of youth-oriented broadcasting extends no further than their shambles of a breakfast show. The people involved seem to think that they need to dumb everything down to an insulting level. It's appalling to have to hear their rubbish first thing every morning (when others have control of the radio, of course).

The music play-lists have barely changed since 2001. Sonique's "Feels So Good", Robbie Williams' "Rock DJ" and Nickleback's "How You Remind Me" haven't been relevant for years but are still played almost every day, in between the clichéd choices of Irish acts (B*Witched, Westlife, U2, etc).

The only way of telling you're not listening to a played back recording from the archives is from listening to the news every day. At least with the news there's some guarantee of variety every day. Trouble is, they usually end up re-playing the same recorded news bulletin every hour to fill up time between advertising notices...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Mc Love wrote: »
    xsiborg wrote: »

Wow my opinion of you has dropped to minus a thousand and dropping. Spin southwest is one of the worst stations on the planet. galtee radio in ncw is better than it and prob better than 95FM too and that is sayin something

*hangs up headphones, exits thread*... :o:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Never listen to either of them.

Spin has to be the most vacuous radio station anyone's ever conceived. If it went off the air tomorrow I'd say it wouldn't be missed one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Had the misfortune to listen to a few minutes of Spin SW last night, shocking stuff. They had some self-absorbed woman presenting and talking about the Cork accent and I kinda blanked out after that. Plenty of ****e music on before she started her 'discussion'.

Rarely listen to the radio but when I do, it's Newstalk (Tom Dunne and/or Sean Moncrieff).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Listen to Newstalk exclusively. Moncrieff's show is hilarious and a welcome change from the vapid muck trotted out everywhere else. Tom Dunne is good too.

Spin is just vacuous garbage and I can't stand the presenters and the airs and graces of a certain female one that would show up to the opening of an envelope if she thought it would get her mug in the local rag.

Live95fm is for the senile.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I listen to my cd collection in the car on the commute to work in the mornings, between the two idots on 95FM and Tuberty on 2FM, the commute is mondane enough without having to tolerate their rubbish every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

RonMexico wrote: »
    Listen to Newstalk exclusively. Moncrieff's show is hilarious and a welcome change from the vapid muck trotted out everywhere else. Tom Dunne is good too.

I love those two shoes.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gallee

95FM. Mark & Catriona in the morning is car crash radio, pretty dreadful stuff, followed by Joe Nash who is a cure for insomnia. Joe tries but lets some clown who phones in to repeat his point over and over and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. I have to agree those adds with a fake American accent? Whats that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I always presumed nobody over the age of fifteen/sixteen listened to spin fm anyway, never even regarded as targeted towards the general population.

Just my two cents, during the week I am rarely driving for more than twenty minutes a day total so I don't really bother with the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

We play radio wars in work so get to listen to all of the above.

Spin is fine for half an hour but then it repeats and repeats and repeats.
    4fm is fine until you hit the 1pm-3pm talking slot and the whininess gets too much.
    TodayFM is fine until Ray Foley, he is just irritating.
    95FM is fine to fill the gaps between the other stations while flicking through.. or to find out when a funeral is on.
    2FM is never put on in work, not even sure where that is on the dial.
    Newstalk is up it's own hole.
    LyricFM is fine but like spin after a half an hour it repeats.

They all have pluses and minuses, if we could mush them all together and push out the sh!te then that would work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Squarewave

Peter Curtin's and Code's shows on weekend nights are the only reasons to listen to spin sw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

marienbad wrote: »

Except that they seem to be morphing into talk radio these days. Everyday day from about 1 to 3 and 9 to midnight, which is usually the times I am on the road, I really hate those phone in talk shows.

By the way why does classis4fm have to be changed constantly on the road from Dublin to maintain the signal. Do they not have a signal/radiowave- or whatever its called - for the whole country-, it even fades on the way to Kilkee ?

RDS is the term, and they do have it (as a trip from Limerick to Galway proves) but considering that they don't have a licence to cover the midlands you're bound to lose the signal.

95 FM's idea of youth-oriented broadcasting extends no further than their shambles of a breakfast show. The people involved seem to think that they need to dumb everything down to an insulting level. It's appalling to have to hear their rubbish first thing every morning (when others have control of the radio, of course).

The music play-lists have barely changed since 2001. Sonique's "Feels So Good", Robbie Williams' "Rock DJ" and Nickleback's "How You Remind Me" haven't been relevant for years but are still played almost every day, in between the clichéd choices of Irish acts (B*Witched, Westlife, U2, etc).

The only way of telling you're not listening to a played back recording from the archives is from listening to the news every day. At least with the news there's some guarantee of variety every day. Trouble is, they usually end up re-playing the same recorded news bulletin every hour to fill up time between advertising notices...

That had me in stitches!

I think Today FM is probably the best of all the stations - its got everything. As for the Ray Foley show...its a bit of fun for your lunchtime. He can be annoying at times though, I do agree. Best show is the Breakfast show. Although they have a girl on at 6 in the morning, she sounds like she came from Spin SW which is prob not a good thing :(

Best 2FM show is Will Leahy's.

As ZombieBride said, 95FM is good for the obituaries (and from my other post the Live Rugby matches (but even these are few and far between)) - nothing else is impressive about the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

RonMexico wrote: »

Im almost the same for the last 4 years however ill stick on a cd if Tom Dunne is on after his on air arse sucking with John Delaney not long after the Limerick fc/Barcelona fiasco. Lost all respect for him after that.

Only listen to live95 if theres a hurling game on and may tune into RTE Radio 1 for the sport on Saturday. As for Spin sw....its grand if your a 15 year old girl. Which im not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

The only programme I listen to on either of these channels is Alan Jacques 'Green and Live' on Friday nights.
    He should be applauded for playing the best in homegrown talent.

• Site Banned Posts: 40 soprano123

The lady on Spin in the morning....As a radio presenter awful ! as a dj worse
    As a fashion expert in the Post..well should they not have someone that knows how to dress to be honest !
    They dont get any bigheaded than this....!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 demon1

Mostly I listen to talk radio, I agree with most posters about spin, awful self infatuated drivel. Does anybody remember on Sean Moncrieff's radio show he had/has ( not sure if its still on ) Professor Terry Dolan doing a meaning of words slot, utterly riveting stuff and somebody with a very engaging voice. My idea of very good radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I can't stand Spin, music is passable but the presenters are atrocious. Rubbish like this shouldn't be granted a licence... it hurts my ears whenever I hear it. They should get a DJ 3000:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQlIVMHSq8E

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

spin talk is just atrocious, other stations talk about politics or some issue thats in some way relevant to...something. spin talk one day were talking about things you found down the back of the couch. riveting stuff. nothing wrong with radio being fun but thats just banal to the point of being insulting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Anyone have the misfortune to tune in RedFM in Cork.........sweet jaysus!!!

Advertisement