Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Snap, T0-180Hours Only

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

jo06555 wrote: »
    Met eireann on 9 news dont give nothing over the next 7 days apart from rain and more rain :(

They didn't go beyond Monday so hardly 7 day forecast. A lot of rain for the east on Sunday was the main point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

Met eireann on 9 news dont give nothing over the next 7 days apart from rain and more rain :(

They didn't go beyond Monday so hardly 7 day forecast. A lot of rain for the east on Sunday was the main point.
    They did a bit,siobhan said 4 or 5 c during the week and dry...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

I taught at the end the charts showed rain each day up to thurs ?? Maybe I was mistaken we live in hope I was ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I taught at the end the charts showed rain each day up to thurs ?? Maybe I was mistaken we live in hope I was ;)

They are not going to say too much until fairly sure anyway. the trend is colder but to what degree and where/when is very unclear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Was it last week I saw RTE tipping -8 degrees and it never happened, so once bitten twice shy and all that - a bit like these threads, there comes a point when there is no point talking about it until if and when it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Shouldn't be saying anything this early, But the block seems further east so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

ECMWF's 12z ens out and not much change in them: Ireland always in the middle.

168hrs chart:
    190153.png

Neither cold nor mild. The odd weak front skirting up the west coast. Not much wind. A weather enthusiast's dream! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

ECMWF's 12z ens out and not much change in them: Ireland always in the middle.

168hrs chart:

Neither cold nor mild. The odd weak front skirting up the west coast. Not much wind. A weather enthusiast's dream! :cool:

Foaming at the mouth here!

But Fukin hell that 12z GFS is something else :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I don't think there will be any snow on Sunday or Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

18Z GFS: Heeerrrreee weeee goooo AGAIN!!!!!
    220px-Millennium_Force1_CP.JPG
    :D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Cold progressing westwards faster on 18z at 144-155

18z seems to be following in the 12zs footsteps...

Could the ECM have been a bit too progressive? Haven't seen the ensembles was it a mild outlier?

EDIT: That is some serious cold heading west.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

another upgrade on GFS 18z

h500slp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Mouthwatering stuff on the GFS 18z......-12s over us from 156 hours......could it verify??......who knows!!....but hey, this is the rollercoaster we've been queueing for since November!

baraca wrote: »
    18z seems to be following in the 12zs footsteps...

Could the ECM have been a bit too progressive? Haven't seen the ensembles was it a mild outlier?

EDIT: That is some serious cold heading west.
    Just had a look and :eek: :eek: :eek:

Pressure stays very high though which is why the gf's isn't modeling heavy precipitation.
    folks on NW are losing the run of themselves and not factoring that in.
    Pressure that high is no shower nirvana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Icanseethewind

I have been living in Mayo for near 68 years now and I can remember countless situations like the one we in now... the cold trying to get in but the warmer Atlantic keeping it to our east. I am still sticking to my guns that there will be no snow this week or indeed until whatever next Winter throws at us... It will be a bit cold and frosty and maybe some snow on the hills but for the vast majority of people it will bring nothing more than a few sleety showers next week. Hard to go into detail but the mountain behind me is a very deep bluish colour, old folks round here always maintained that if it is that colour in January then a very mild spring is on the cards. I have tested it out on numerous times and found it is a good sign alright. So my unconventional (as my grandson says) methods may not be popular here as it mentions no snow but I cant see more than a few flakes at most on hills....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

blackius wrote: »
    Just had a look and :eek: :eek: :eek:

Pressure stays very high though which is why the gf's isn't modeling heavy precipitation.
    folks on NW are losing the run of themselves and not factoring that in.
    Pressure that high is no shower nirvana.

..and we need snow if the temperatures are going to freeze the ground rock solid, otherwise burnt grass.

A neighbour said to be a few weeks back that there is a saying that January grass is never eaten, hope he is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

I have been living in Mayo for near 68 years now and I can remember countless situations like the one we in now... the cold trying to get in but the warmer Atlantic keeping it to our east. I am still sticking to my guns that there will be no snow this week or indeed until whatever next Winter throws at us... It will be a bit cold and frosty and maybe some snow on the hills but for the vast majority of people it will bring nothing more than a few sleety showers next week. Hard to go into detail but the mountain behind me is a very deep bluish colour, old folks round here always maintained that if it is that colour in January then a very mild spring is on the cards. I have tested it out on numerous times and found it is a good sign alright. So my unconventional (as my grandson says) methods may not be popular here as it mentions no snow but I cant see more than a few flakes at most on hills....

If I hear hills or higher ground once more ill burst,go away bad news barer :)

Any updates from mt as I havnt been on all week?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

This evening's 18z also fizzles out much quicker than the 12z in FI as the Atlantic sweeps back in rather easily.

I guess it's gonna be the start of next week (at the earliest) before we'll know whether a serious piece of cold is on the way and whether there's any potential for it to last.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

davidsr20 wrote: »
    If I hear hills or higher ground once more ill burst,go away bad news barer :)

Any updates from mt as I havnt been on all week?

Entitled to his views as much as everyone else ,

Personally I dont buy into the nature signs and all that Jazz but everyone to there own

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Dear me :D

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=128521

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

A chart I wouldn't mind seeing verifying:

h850t850eu.png

Only in a set up like that can you get strong to gale force winds with temperature below freezing. Last time I remember something like this happening was back in the 90's sometime. Very bracing and not for the faint hearted. Everything is just zapped dry. This is a true easterly. Bring it on. (not that it will :rolleyes:)

alfa beta wrote: »
    This evening's 18z also fizzles out much quicker than the 12z in FI as the Atlantic sweeps back in rather easily.

I guess it's gonna be the start of next week (at the earliest) before we'll know whether a serious piece of cold is on the way and whether there's any potential for it to last.

Once we get cold or snowcover in place that will change , anything outside 96Hrs is FI , even the massively brilliantly cold charts

Just discussing the run but pressure that high will considerably weaken convection meaning counties on the east coast only.
    People on NW are talking rubbish saying otherwise for England and the same applies here.
    It's academic anyway as this beyond 96 IS fi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Icanseethewind

Although I use nature to forecast I am interested in conventional forecasts and may disagree from time to time but am not dismissive of them. Can I ask 2 things..... what is FI? And what is the dam....as in dam 520??

Your right your not going to see anything but a few flakes on the hills, People on the east coast however will see a lot more.

Although I use nature to forecast I am interested in conventional forecasts and may disagree from time to time but am not dismissive of them. Can I ask 2 things..... what is FI? And what is the dam....as in dam 520??

Fantasy Island , Charts that are FI have low probability of verifying ,

DAM link is the thickness level , generally 528 dam is good enough for snow , but around 522 could be needed in some situations,

One of the lads posted up some good info bout this on the first or second page

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

FI means fantasy island (at this stage anything beyond 48 hrs)dam is better explained by some one more qualified than me ,ie everyone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭rKossi

Time to book a holiday to central europe? :P

Rmgfs1658.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

baraca wrote: »
    Your right your not going to see anything but a few flakes on the hills, People on the east coast however will see a lot more.

Actually I don't agree with that. I think this is either going to be an all out snowfest for the Island or the Atlantic will win out. The Beast from the East is all inclusive :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement