Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Snap, T0-180Hours Only

Options
1282930313234»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭arctictree

GFS 12z a good run. The FI part just goes a bit mad...

As others have said lets see what the ECM brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

GEM is agreeing with the GFS out to +144, Will post charts soon

GEM +120

34rjgn5.png

+144

2rxuphe.png

Good signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭devilabit

GEM looks promising at 144h as well although the undercutter doesn't give us much precipitation because it comes in at a bad angle (to my untrained eyes).

gem-0-144.png?12

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Hi all,

GFS/GEM going for a return of Easterly winds in some form as the block reasserts it's posistion to the Northeast and troughs undercut from the Atlantic through later next week.

ECM and UKMO are well split. ECM going for a mid latitude high gradually transferring west allowing cooler Northwesterlies in.

UKMO similar to GFS in that it does (eventually) see the propping up of the block
    to the Northeast. But it is the slower evolution.

I am sticking to the return of an Easterly next week although there is also a chance Su Campu's westward drift of the high pressure will come off too (this will happen eventually either way) and perhaps into Greenland allowing a Northerly at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Be very very wary of 12z GFS, very poor ensemble support. For this reason I would expect this scenario to be dropped by Sunday night at the latest. If it doesn't and a lot of ensembles come on board, well...:cool::)

191299.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

*GOES LOOKS FOR THAT -17 850hp HEAVEN CHART* :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Correct BEASTERLY however the trend is south, that's all I look at when viewing those.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Parallel run goes for this

gens-0-0-174_lnr6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Just had a quick look at the ECM , which I regard as the most accurate of all the models and I note two important points:

1. That cold air on the continent ain't going anywhere fast

2. ECM is showing a burst of severe cold coming directly from the artic towards the end of next week which then links up with the very cold pool of air already over Europe

Maybe the models will start to show a reload of cold?

Oh, God I swore to myself I would no longer buy tickets for the rollercoaster..........:)

D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

derekon wrote: »
    Just had a quick look at the ECM , which I regard as the most accurate of all the models and I note two important points:

1. That cold air on the continent ain't going anywhere fast

2. ECM is showing a burst of severe cold coming directly from the artic towards the end of next week which then links up with the very cold pool of air already over Europe

Maybe the models will start to show a reload of cold?

Oh, God I swore to myself I would no longer buy tickets for the rollercoaster..........:)

D

I know its OT but I think this should be allowed !!!!

Port%20Aventura.jpg?19%2F12%2F2011+19%3A15%3A39

• Advertisement

The Possible Cold Reload CHAT thread is there for a reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The stratospheric setup looks like we may be seeing a vortex split within the next week, with two vortices setting up over NE Canada and eastern Asia. This plus the poleward flow through Alaska that I mentioned yesterday look like they may actually help set up a Greenland high around mid month, with a possible link up with, or at least a northward push of, the Azores high. This would support the idea of northerly outbreak for us as the Scandi high gets replaced by cold troughing. Now whether we would lie on the warm side of this outbreak, with the real cold getting into the North Sea and central Europe, like so many times before, remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

CMC is on board. South easterlies at 126hrs
    The easterly at 132hrs
    12020900_0312.gif

Perhaps the GFS is just a cold outliner. Only to be downgraded as we get closer to 72hrs or completely gone by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Guys I think we need to pack it in,winter is finetoe ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I think one thing has become clear from this week - people should not automatically assume that an easterly will deliver snow. There seems to be an endless winter-long hunt for easterlies, but in many cases these easterlies by their nature will not deliver anything more than frosty nights and sunny days. This week did not deliver due to the strong inversion and low dewpoints - yes, low dewpoints. If dewpoints had been higher there would actually have been an increased risk of snow, but parcel trajectories were on the wrong side of the inversion for anything more than the stratocumulus we got.

I think this thread is approaching its end of life....

OK fresh thread then,
    Locking this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement