Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP!!

Options
  • 26-01-2012 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi, im 15 last may i weighed 16 stone and was 5 foot 5.
    Im now 14 stone and 6 foot i have a body fat of 21% it was 46%.
    Im lookin to lose more bady fat and gain muscle. I play gaa,and train 3 times a week one sprinting session,one spin class and then a farely intensive football or hurling session i also do weight trainin twice a week.
    Im looking for a diet that will steadily help me drop some body fat and gain muscle.
    Appreciate any help !smile.gif

In a normal day i would eat; breakfast: bran flakes
    lunch: chicken lettuce and cheese sandwhich
    dinner : would vary but potatoes often and veg and a meat
    i would snack on chocalate covered ricecakes and a nature valley bar and fruit????

Compared to most people my age i eat very well, I rarely eat any junk food maybe once a week. ive just seemed to hit a plateau and cant lose any more but i have been gaining muscle, i feel my lower body is well defined but my upper is chubby ????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Punchy1969

Hi,
    Your diet sounds good but cut out the snacking in the evening. Get into the habit of not eating anything after your dinner in the evening. The next food to go in your mouth should be breakfast the next morning.
    For good upper body training give boxing a go. Find a club near your area and you'll find skipping and bag work (punchbag) a great workout. You'll drop pounds and tone your chest shoulders and torso.
    I like to swim once or twice a week too, great. Best of luck, you're doing a great job by the sounds of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

You've grown 7 inches in 8 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Marcus95

Will look into the boxing thanks a lot.
    Can you tell me what that last comment is about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Marcus95 wrote: »
    Will look into the boxing thanks a lot.
    Can you tell me what that last comment is about ?

Hi Marcus, maybe I am reading it wrong but my understanding was you turned 15 last May and you were 5ft 5 and weighed 16stone. And now you're 6ft and 14stone?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

Im lookin to lose more bady fat and gain muscle. I play gaa,and train 3 times a week one sprinting session,one spin class and then a farely intensive football or hurling session i also do weight trainin twice a week.
    Im looking for a diet that will steadily help me drop some body fat and gain muscle.

i would snack on chocalate covered ricecakes and a nature valley bar and fruit????

Compared to most people my age i eat very well, I rarely eat any junk food maybe once a week. ive just seemed to hit a plateau and cant lose any more but i have been gaining muscle, i feel my lower body is well defined but my upper is chubby ????

Your main problems are in bold. No point in comparing yourself to other people's diet apart from comforting yourself.

-Work out maintenance calories,take awy 500 to loose weight.Or multiply weight in pounds by 14.

-You are eating far too much carbohydrate.sugar from poor sources (wheat primarily). ditch bran flakes- eat eggs.ditch sandwich- eat a bed of lettuce and salads. ditch potatoes- eat more veg or sweet potato. ditch the present snacks- snack on nuts and keep fruit.

- eat a gram of protein for every pound you weigh. chicken, eggs, bacon, steak, salmon, tuna etc etc.

- post your weights programme and people on here will help improve it. BUT its your diet where most improvement will be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

Punchy1969 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Your diet sounds good but cut out the snacking in the evening. Get into the habit of not eating anything after your dinner in the evening. The next food to go in your mouth should be breakfast the next morning.

you have without any doubt got to be taking the p*iss

bran flakes
    bread
    chocolate rice cakes
    nature valley bars

this is a good diet????

dont eat after your dinner.....seriously????

listen its not often i do this but if you have no clue what your talking about please dont advise anybody even if they did ask!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

xgtdec wrote: »
    you have without any doubt got to be taking the p*iss

bran flakes
    bread
    chocolate rice cakes
    nature valley bars

this is a good diet????

dont eat after your dinner.....seriously????

listen its not often i do this but if you have no clue what your talking about please dont advise anybody even if they did ask!!!

Jesus christ the kid is f*cking 16 years old.

People need to get off the internet and start living in real life.

For a dude his age, it is good. Is it perfect, of course bloody not.

My god. I'm horrified at this.

""Im lookin to lose more bady fat and gain muscle. I play gaa,and train 3 times a week one sprinting session,one spin class and then a farely intensive football or hurling session i also do weight trainin twice a week.""

but because your 16 its ok to have a ****ty diet while also having training goals??

what ever way you want to look at it its a **** diet and it was **** advice regadless of the op's age

and if this is all it takes to horrify you...i think its you that needs a trip to "real life"

I’ll even expand a bit. You guys heard of Dan John? One of the most respected “real world” coaches in the US? Works with a lot of high school kids?! Know what his dietary prescriptions to that population are?

1) Eat 3 meals a day
    2) Eat protein at every meal
    3) If you’re hungry 1-2 hours after your meal, eat more protein next time
    4) If you’re sleepy an hour after your meal, look at the quality of the carbs you’re eating

Seriously people, real world. Please.

Lets avoid giving the next generation complexes about their food yah?

xgtdec wrote: »
    ""Im lookin to lose more bady fat and gain muscle. I play gaa,and train 3 times a week one sprinting session,one spin class and then a farely intensive football or hurling session i also do weight trainin twice a week.""

but because your 16 its ok to have a ****ty diet while also having training goals??

what ever way you want to look at it its a **** diet and it was **** advice regadless of the op's age

and if this is all it takes to horrify you...i think its you that needs a trip to "real life"

Ok. You're right.

Rather than pragmatic advice the OP might actually use, lets all prove how much we know by going for ideals.

This place is like a circle jerk at times. People care far more about showing everyone what they know and beating up others than they do about actually being helpful.

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    Ok. You're right.
    I know i am
    Rather than pragmatic advice the OP might actually use, lets all prove how much we know by going for ideals.

who went for ideals?? The only think i claimed to know was that the advice given wasnt good advice
    This place is like a circle jerk at times. People care far more about showing everyone what they know and beating up others than they do about actually being helpful.

Well if i have got it to that kids head that bran flakes and chocolate covered rice cakes are not the way to reach the golas that he's stated then its one of the most help things he's going to hear this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

jaysus, its just a bit of bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

For a lad of 16, he can get away with a high carb diet.

The only thing that would concern me is that I don't think there's enough protein in there.

Try scrambled egg on toast the odd morning.

Bran flakes aren't the worst cereal out there.

Being some nuts like cashews or almonds with you to school, or bring a fork & the small tins of tuna that are easy to open with the ring on them.

Maybe Try to change one thing at a time. So instead of your current snack of rice cakes, have nuts or tuna.

Ok. You're right.

Can ya read my post and tell me how i didnt try to be as helpful as I could?The chap asked for advice on how to improve his body shape. The eating what he wanted wasnt working so I gave him some practical advice on simple changes that he would reap benefits from!!!!

BlueIsland wrote: »
    Can ya read my post and tell me how i didnt try to be as helpful as I could?The chap asked for advice on how to improve his body shape. The eating what he wanted wasnt working so I gave him some practical advice on simple changes that he would reap benefits from!!!!

Can you read my post and tell me where I said "Hey BlueIsland..."?

Can you read my post and tell me where I said "Hey BlueIsland..."?

read it before...jumped the gun..read it again....apologies.

BlueIsland wrote: »
    read it before...jumped the gun..read it again....apologies.

What the... this doesn't usually happen on the internet... :confused:

What the... this doesn't usually happen on the internet... :confused:

Does with me. wouldnt be a huge fan of the old argument for the sake of argument whilst going further and further off the point of the individual who decided to seek advice from apparently "helpful" people. defintely seems to be the way Tinternet going these days!

Sorry...I turned 15 a few weeks ago

No i turned 15 two weeks ago?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

Sorry...I turned 15 a few weeks ago
    No i turned 15 two weeks ago?

benjamin button

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I think there was meant to be a comma after 15 in the OPs original post,

I taught this forum was for experienced people to give advice...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I taught this forum was for experienced people to give advice...

You would think so, wouldn't you?

Unfortunately that doesn't always happen.

Well done on the weight loss so far.

At your age, do not be overly focused or too restrictive on your food - eat a little bit of what you fancy. You are still growing and your body requires more than an average adult.

Remember your body is also still growing a LOT at your age. With your activity level, you will need food for energy to keep you going in sports and school.

Like I said, for the moment, eat a little of what you fancy, don't do the dog, don't be too restrictive, there is ALWAYS a middle common ground.

If you want to slowly make improvements (i would strongly underline the word SLOWLY) then eat whole foods, foods that could be eaten when your parents and grandparents were small, foods that can be grown and killed. Base most of your food on decent things and then you will have some to spend on what you fancy.

if i want to lose body fat i cnt really eat what i fancy, like before i went back to school i was on 1300 calories a day,i wasnt doing weights then,but i picked them up around late september and just ate the way i had previously posted ???

Read back through the thread Marcus,

Your diet isn't the worst ever. Not the best either.

Get more protein in through eggs, tuna, chicken & beef.
    Train hard & consistently

After reading the nutrition thread, the last two days this is how i have ate;
    Breakfast: 3 egg omelette(minus one egg yolk) with mushrooms and tomatoes.
    Lunch: 2 small tins of tuna,apple,banana and yoghurt.
    Dinner; today i had: wholegrain pasta chicken and boiled sweet potato.
    yesterday : grilled sea bass and boiled vegetables and potato.

Any good ???

After reading the nutrition thread, the last two days this is how i have ate;
    Breakfast: 3 egg omelette(minus one egg yolk) with mushrooms and tomatoes.
    Lunch: 2 small tins of tuna,apple,banana and yoghurt.
    Dinner; today i had: wholegrain pasta chicken and boiled sweet potato.
    yesterday : grilled sea bass and boiled vegetables and potato.

Any good ???

Looks good.
    Throw in a few snacks like nuts & peanut butter and you're all set

im allergic,what can i have instead ?
    thanks a lot btw

• Advertisement

GASMANN wrote: »
    benjamin button
    Cheers for the advice..

Advertisement