Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shocking Koran Quotes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭Worztron

dead one, you have not explained how all the quotes are supposedly taken out of context. It seems you will defend religious dribble to the end no matter what. You will not be able to explain every quote with the hackneyed 'taken out of context' excuse.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Worztron wrote: »
    dead one, you have not explained how all the quotes are supposedly taken out of context. It seems you will defend religious dribble to the end no matter what. You will not be able to explain every quote with the hackneyed 'taken out of context' excuse.

I stopped reading after ramblings of cheating and reworded Doors lyrics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

you're in denial, i could only help, see
    "Believers, take neither Jews nor Christians for your friends." (Surah 5:51)
    The above text isn't complete verse, it's just a sentence from complete verse. If you read full verse, you will find how you are cheating other people .
    same is case of other verse
    "Fighting is obligatory for you, much as you dislike it." (Surah 2:216)

"It ill becomes the idolaters [non-Muslims] to visit the mosques of God..." (Surah 9:17)

"Make war on them until idolatry shall cease and God's religion shall reign supreme." (Surah 8:36-)

"Muhammad is God's apostle. Those who follow him are ruthless to the unbelievers but merciful to one another." (Surah 48:29)

"Slay them wherever you find them...Idolatry is worse than carnage...Fight against them until idolatry is no more and God's religion reigns supreme." (Surah 2:190-)
    Do you have problem in understanding simple things... If you don't understand please go to doctor and ask him to check your brain.

krudler wrote: »
    I stopped reading after ramblings of cheating and reworded Doors lyrics.
    would you stop cheating too?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

dead one - Worztron is correct - you haven't explained any of this context you refer to. Instead you've posted links to translations.

Please do so, or stay off the thread.

Also the next time you call someone a cheater or post some random lyrics you will be infracted.

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    dead one - Worztron is correct - you haven't explained any of this context you refer to. Instead you've posted links to translations.

Please do so, or stay off the thread.

Also the next time you call someone a cheater or post some random lyrics you will be infracted.
    Here comes the guardian angel, I know it's natural for a man to defend his religion, to stand by his class, In order to defend his business he may support cheating. I ain't astonished.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76733593&postcount=25

I have given the context where it is asked about context. I dont have time give you context of all verses .... Search it for yourself, Worztron can search for cheating, he could also search for context what is problem in that. My purpose is to give signals not waste time with arrogant.
    BTW: Guardian angel, Do you think, Mr Worztron has done right thing when he quoted verses out of context. What your charter say about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

That post either explains nothing or is completely lost in translation from whatever your first language is. As it is, you haven't given any reason as to why those lines don't actually mean what it looks like they mean. Could you clarify? Preferably without a song and dance?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

dead one wrote: »
    would you stop cheating too?

cheating what now? your dribbling posts are nonsensical for the most part, hilarious in others.

I have given the context where it is asked about context.
    There's no context in that excusing any such command to not befriend or to in fact slay anyone.

Modern thinking requires a little more of an excuse for xenophobia and murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

"We are the hollow men
    We are the stuffed men
    ;

you are the cheeky boys
    you are the cheeky boys

...goddamn it. thats going to be stuck in my head not just all day but everytimg i see people being led in muslim prayer

• Advertisement

FFS now it's in my head too. Goddamn it sensibleken.

There's no context in that excusing any such command to not befriend or to in fact slay anyone.

Modern thinking requires a little more of an excuse for xenophobia and murder.
    Ah i see Modern thinking with modern arrogance...
    Religious Books/verses were revealed in special context. There is context behind every verse. why is it revealed and where is it revealed. You can't apply that verse without context.
    You didn't answer my question. Do you think Mr. Worzten is doing an honest work according to charter of this foram. As he has quoted verses of Bible and Quran out context. Do you think, it is honesty. as you are protector and guardian of this club.
    you are the cheeky boys
    you are the cheeky boys
    ...goddamn it. thats going to be stuck in my head not just all day but everytimg i see people being led in muslim prayer
    You're a cute baby living on bed of roses. The world is so harsh. You understand that life is bed of roses. I feel pity on your understanding.

One is a flaccid eel. You make an understand of my cheat. Longcat is long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

You're a cute baby living on bed of roses. The world is so harsh. You understand that life is bed of roses. I feel pity on your understanding.

aw thanks. your a special wittle guy too *ruffles hair*

Seriously though dead one you still haven't supplied any context. Could you do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

you are the cheeky boys
    you are the cheeky boys

May Zeus blast you, Ken; it's in my head now too. You will pay for this.
    Ah i see Modern thinking with modern arrogance...
    I think we generally find it preferable to bronze age thinking, with bronze age ignorance.
    Is that Bon Jovi?

Sarky wrote: »
    Seriously though dead one you still haven't supplied any context. Could you do that?
    Seriously, will you believe in the context given by me, or will make your own context.
    If you will believe the context provided by me then i will provide it, but not today because i am busy now.
    kylith wrote: »
    May Zeus blast you, Ken; it's in my head now too. You will pay for this.
    Is zeus guardian angel.

• Moderators Posts: 51,724 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Seriously, will you believe in the context given by me, or will make your own context.
    If you will believe the context provided by me then i will provide it, but not today because i am busy now.

"only if you like the context I provide" is your answer? how will anyone know that if you don't provide it?

If you can read this, you're too close!

You're not going to convert anyone in this forum, dead one, if that's what you're asking. I'm just interested in seeing how you reconcile quotes like the above with "religion of peace", really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Worztron, you've done a great job to expose yourself. this is how your cheating is going to end

"This is the end
    Beautiful Worztron friend
    This is the end
    My only friend, the end
    Of our elaborate plans, the end
    Of everything that stands, the end
    No safety or surprise, the end
    I'll never look into your eyes...again
    Can you picture what will be
    So limitless and free
    Desperately in need...of some...stranger's hand
    In a...desperate land
    Lost in a Roman...wilderness of pain
    And all the children are insane
    All the children are insane

Oh lord, grant me the power to deal with this infidel.

dead one you are speaking out of context and trying to cheat everyone. It's typical of a believer. You can find the true context here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76714331&postcount=1

DO YOU SEE WHAT I DID THERE? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Fair enough, honesty belongs to honest minds, Cheating belongs to those who believe in cheating, you're interested in context

The above verse came down during the war of Ohud when Muslims were fearful that they were going to lose the war and wished to friend themselves with the Jews and Christians.
    Now see, honesty on part of Mr.Worztron . He didn't pick the whole verse, He just copied a sentence from verse, which makes him follower of dishonesty. It is pure cheating/dishonesty on part of Mr.Worztron
    The above verse could also be referring to the sincere believers not supposing to friend themselves with the enemy against the believers. The above verse give message to the sincere believers that don't be on side of the enemy against the believers.
    Reading the passage in context clearly tells that the verse was revealed in special context and i don't know why the genius/intellectual giant hide it from common men. Whether he is ignorant about it or he doesn't know, his practices are revealing his ignorance. He has done a great job, i am happy :)

If you read all verses before and after this verse you will find Poor Worztron quoted this verse to brainwash common man that the verse teaches terrorism, and that the verse tells believers to slay the non - believers wherever find you them. However so does the passage actually preach terrorism? Or is that Worztron is preaching cheating in the name of his faith ? Great, the answer is that the verse is being quoted out of context, which is very sad for a genius like Worztron :eek: because it is blatant
    mis-interpretation and brazen lying because it is not hard to quote this text in context, here is the context of this text:

http://quran.com/2/187-193

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

I ended up in a debate like this with a Muslim guy from university before when he started talking about how great Islam was. Don't expect a rational explanation of the verses guys. All I got what a mixture of condescending ignorance or the "only Muslims can fully understand" stuff.

The bottom line is that it's difficult to reconcile ancient tribalism with modern thinking.

You didn't answer my question. Do you think Mr. Worzten is doing an honest work according to charter of this foram. As he has quoted verses of Bible and Quran out context. Do you think, it is honesty. as you are protector and guardian of this club.
    If I'm honest - I'd rather this thread wasn't posted. It was always going to turn into this nonsense.

But there's nothing in the charter stopping someone from posting actual quotes from religious texts (as per the similar Bible one). Not my cup of tea, but my only job in the matter is to stop people insulting each other (e.g. repeating the word cheater) or posting random gobbledegook (e.g. poetry/lyrics).

I appreciate you believe some quotes need to be in context, but your manner of getting this context across is frankly confusing, repetitive and lacking in substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Where's Brown Bomber? 4 pages in, and he hasn't accused us of Islamophobia!

dead one, do you have a blog? You ought to.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This text tells that zul Qurnain came the place where the sun set. It DOES NOT say that he saw the sun set. In other words, the word "place" indicates a geographical location. The Quran doesn't tell the he saw it set in a muddy spring, it says that he "found" it setting in a muddy spring. The term "found" (wagada), and its variants, are found 107 times in the Qur'an and this term never refers to the act of "seeing". To "see" the sun set, or rise, requires that we use the word "ra'a". For example, Sura 6:78 tells us :
    "When he [Abraham] saw (ra'a) the sun rising, he said, "This is my Lord". But when it set he said, ..."
    See, when we use sun rises in east, actually sun doesn't rise in east, it's we who find sun rising in east. If you go to science, science won't agree the sun ever rises or sets. Well, technically, the sun doesn't rise at all, it just sit's there, for further detail, see below image

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/images/earthtilt.gif
    Thanks for your explanation but as this shows Muhammad did mean the sun sets in a pool of water.

In short:
    Muhammad - Do you know where the sun sets?
    Abu Dharr - I'm sure you know?
    Muhammad - It sets in a spring of warm water.

Anyway, it's no biggie for me, an atheist, but it does show that Muhammad is not infallible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

If anyone has seen the recent episodes of Archer he has need for a translator and continually tries to use idioms that make no sense translated and has to be stopped.
    Sometimes I feel like dead one must have similar problems. That or it's all gobbledeygook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Sarky wrote: »

No he could not. Not in a way understandable by anyone else anyway.

His idea of giving context is to quote a couple more verses from either side of the original quote, then ignore any further requests for information. For such a committed Muslim he seems loath to actually entertain anyone who would like to know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

If I'm honest - I'd rather this thread wasn't posted. It was always going to turn into this nonsense.

Just for balance is there any chance of a bad Veda quotes thread. I'd start one myself but I haven't read the veda. Could we then follow that with the book of Moron Mormon, The Talmud and so on and so forth.

After that we could have a mega-thread merge in to the "I can't believe it's not contextual" thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i'll whip out my copy of the bhagavad gita :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Mercurius

There is the possibility of multiple translations from the classical arabic, some moderate (Laleh Bakhtiar, for example), some not.

I suppose it very much depends on whose doing the reading.

To take the first example...

"Believers, take neither Jews nor Christians for your friends." (Surah 5:51)

...multiple translations can be found here.

Given the plethora of possibilities, it seems narrow minded to take any one translation as literal, and to base criticisms on same.

(unless the moderates are apologists, of course)

Advertisement