Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shocking Koran Quotes

Options
  • 25-01-2012 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭

It is not fair merely to mention the Shocking Bible Quotes http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056514115.

"Believers, take neither Jews nor Christians for your friends." (Surah 5:51)

"Fighting is obligatory for you, much as you dislike it." (Surah 2:216)

"It ill becomes the idolaters [non-Muslims] to visit the mosques of God..." (Surah 9:17)

"Make war on them until idolatry shall cease and God's religion shall reign supreme." (Surah 8:36-)

"Muhammad is God's apostle. Those who follow him are ruthless to the unbelievers but merciful to one another." (Surah 48:29)

"Slay them wherever you find them...Idolatry is worse than carnage...Fight against them until idolatry is no more and God's religion reigns supreme." (Surah 2:190-)

Feel free to add more.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Uh oh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

oh that's just quote mining, it would all still be perfectly peaceful if women would just dress modestly and get beaten by their men

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

The atheist are still cheating. Shocking,

Verses of violence are taken out of context.... Very shocking indeed.
    It's symptoms of intellectual decay. Let us say we are hollow men

"We are the hollow men
    We are the stuffed men
    Leaning together
    Headpiece filled with straw. Alas!
    Our dried voices, when
    We whisper together
    Are quiet and meaningless
    As wind in dry grass
    Or rats’ feet over broken glass
    In our dry cellar

Shape without form, shade without colour,
    Paralysed force, gesture without motion;

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

Worztron wrote: »

"Slay them wherever you find them...Idolatry is worse than carnage...Fight against them until idolatry is no more and God's religion reigns supreme." (Surah 2:190-)

Ok Dead One, what is the correct context for these for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

dead one wrote: »

It's hardly uncommon though is it, on both sides of any religion.

Picking and choosing parts is one of the main aspects of any belief system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Why do they always moan about quotes being out of context but then not bother to actually give the actual context? One would imagine that would be more helpful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Galvasean wrote: »
    Why do they always moan about quotes being out of context but then not bother to actually give the actual context? One would imagine that would be more helpful.

yeah. i mean it's quite obvious that while "Blessed is the one who smashes babies against rocks" is awful outside context, it actually means "give lots of hugs and cuddles to all children everywhere" when you read it properly.

bluewolf wrote: »
    yeah. i mean it's quite obvious that while "Blessed is the one who smashes babies against rocks" is awful outside context, it actually means "give lots of hugs and cuddles to all children everywhere" when you read it properly.

Don't forget it's from Psalms, so it's a song.

And we all know religious folk have never gotten in an uproar about song lyrics before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I never did get round to looking up the context of that woman from Ezekiel who craved donkey cock. Is it about honouring your father and mother when you read with your heart?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Worztron

How ironic of you to accuse others of 'intellectual decay'. Here we go again with the 'taken out of context' tripe excuses.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

sephir0th wrote: »

I'd love to hear about the context of those quotes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Sarky wrote: »
    I never did get round to looking up the context of that woman from Ezekiel who craved donkey cock. Is it about honouring your father and mother when you read with your heart?

Hahahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

gawker wrote: »
    I'd love to hear about the context of those quotes too.

I'm no expert on the matter but I think the context is something to do with the Muslims being backstabbed by the Jews before some kind of battle with the idolators of Mecca. The second quote is about slaying of the idolaters in Mecca after they refused to accept Islam. I'm sure I've horribly mixed up a lot of details there but that's the gist of it I think, I'm sure deadone will correct me.

Anyway, using this "context" argument to discount disgusting things in the Quran or any holy book has never really made sense to me. Isn't it completely ridiculous that the central text of one of the biggest religions of the world contains so much supposedly irrelevant content that is of no use whatsoever in a modern context other than to confuse and be used as ammunition for extremists? Why put it in there if it's only relevant to a couple of decades or so in the middle of 7th century Arabia?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Standman wrote: »
    Why put it in there if it's only relevant to a couple of decades or so in the middle of 7th century Arabia?
    it's all crazy nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Newaglish wrote: »
    it's all crazy nonsense

I know my question is kind of pointless to ask to other atheists but I'd be interested to hear how religious people rationalise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Hey, it's OK: Islam is the religion of peace, remember? When all other religions have been forcibly crushed, and there is one global ummah, then there will be peace. I mean, seriously; people who don't get that deserve to die horribly for their ignorance ...

:rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

what is the context then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Christians & Jewish martyrs say; "I will die for what I believe".

A Muslim martyr says; "you will die for what I believe"....

And here we go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

old_aussie wrote: »
    Christians & Jewish martyrs say; "I will die for what I believe".

A Muslim martyr says; "you will die for what I believe"....

Nah, they are all equally stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Wow guys. There is so much energy spent on this board worrying about other peoples' beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Wow guys. There is so much energy spent on this board worrying about other peoples' beliefs.

If those beliefs didn't interfere in the lives of others, nobody would care.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Don't forget it's from Psalms, so it's a song.

And we all know religious folk have never gotten in an uproar about song lyrics before!

Maybe you need to play the song backward to get the correct message?

:pac:

sephir0th wrote: »
    Fair enough, honesty belongs to honest minds, Cheating belongs to those who believe in cheating, you're interested in context
    The above verse came down during the war of Ohud when Muslims were fearful that they were going to lose the war and wished to friend themselves with the Jews and Christians.
    Now see, honesty on part of Mr.Worztron . He didn't pick the whole verse, He just copied a sentence from verse, which makes him follower of dishonesty. It is pure cheating/dishonesty on part of Mr.Worztron
    The above verse could also be referring to the sincere believers not supposing to friend themselves with the enemy against the believers. The above verse give message to the sincere believers that don't be on side of the enemy against the believers.
    Reading the passage in context clearly tells that the verse was revealed in special context and i don't know why the genius/intellectual giant hide it from common men. Whether he is ignorant about it or he doesn't know, his practices are revealing his ignorance. He has done a great job, i am happy :)
    If you read all verses before and after this verse you will find Poor Worztron quoted this verse to brainwash common man that the verse teaches terrorism, and that the verse tells believers to slay the non - believers wherever find you them. However so does the passage actually preach terrorism? Or is that Worztron is preaching cheating in the name of his faith ? Great, the answer is that the verse is being quoted out of context, which is very sad for a genius like Worztron :eek: because it is blatant
    mis-interpretation and brazen lying because it is not hard to quote this text in context, here is the context of this text:

http://quran.com/2/187-193

oh that's just quote mining, it would all still be perfectly peaceful if women would just dress modestly and get beaten by their men
    do you think, it would all still be perfectly peaceful if women would just dress immodestly and get cheated by their men. Do you like cheating
    Now, honestly this part of your quote reveals your ignorance
    get beaten by their men
    and remember ignorance is bliss. keep ignorance with yourself to make you believe what you prefer to believe.
    Sonics2k wrote: »
    It's hardly uncommon though is it, on both sides of any religion.
    Picking and choosing parts is one of the main aspects of any belief system.
    at least, i am not dishonest and cheater, i will always be on the side of christianity/judasim/islam etc when it comes to cheating/dishonesty.
    Honesty is my religion.
    krudler wrote: »
    what is the context then?
    Context reveals cheating and ignorance, in order to propagate your religion of atheism what makes to take help of cheating, Cheating against Bible and Quran. I smell weaknesses.

Worztron wrote: »
    How ironic of you to accuse others of 'intellectual decay'. Here we go again with the 'taken out of context' tripe excuses.
    Worztron, you've done a great job to expose yourself. this is how your cheating is going to end

"This is the end
    Beautiful Worztron friend
    This is the end
    My only friend, the end
    Of our elaborate plans, the end
    Of everything that stands, the end
    No safety or surprise, the end
    I'll never look into your eyes...again
    Can you picture what will be
    So limitless and free
    Desperately in need...of some...stranger's hand
    In a...desperate land
    Lost in a Roman...wilderness of pain
    And all the children are insane
    All the children are insane

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not very shocking but one of the best know fallacies in the Qur'an

18:86 Until, when he reached the setting of the sun, he found it set in a spring of murky water: Near it he found a People: We said: "O Zul-qarnain! (thou hast authority,) either to punish them, or to treat them with kindness."

biko wrote: »
    Not very shocking but one of the best know fallacies in the Qur'an
    18:86 Until, when he reached the setting of the sun, he found it set in a spring of murky water: Near it he found a People: We said: "O Zul-qarnain! (thou hast authority,) either to punish them, or to treat them with kindness."

Ah ha, i like it, again, out of context, again. oh lord i am very scared, how am i going to answer it, oh lord help me, please please,
    hiya biko, youtube is full with such types of propaganda videos, when you use propaganda to torch your reason, It will make your own reason fake. Hope one day you would find.
    as far as this verse is concerned, i can give explanation of it. Hope it would clear your prejudice.
    18:86 Until, when he reached the setting of the sun, he found it set in a spring of murky water: Near it he found a People: We said: "O Zul-qarnain! (thou hast authority,) either to punish them, or to treat them with kindness

This text tells that zul Qurnain came the place where the sun set. It DOES NOT say that he saw the sun set. In other words, the word "place" indicates a geographical location. The Quran doesn't tell the he saw it set in a muddy spring, it says that he "found" it setting in a muddy spring. The term "found" (wagada), and its variants, are found 107 times in the Qur'an and this term never refers to the act of "seeing". To "see" the sun set, or rise, requires that we use the word "ra'a". For example, Sura 6:78 tells us :
    "When he [Abraham] saw (ra'a) the sun rising, he said, "This is my Lord". But when it set he said, ..."
    See, when we use sun rises in east, actually sun doesn't rise in east, it's we who find sun rising in east. If you go to science, science won't agree the sun ever rises or sets. Well, technically, the sun doesn't rise at all, it just sit's there, for further detail, see below image

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/images/earthtilt.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't worry about other people's beliefs.

• Advertisement

I don't worry about other people's beliefs.
    contradiction

"Let me also wear
    Such deliberate disguises
    Rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves
    In a field
    Behaving as the wind behaves
    No nearer --"
    Originally Posted by MagicMarker
    OP, it sounds like you've discovered a new flavour of ice cream or something.

Why is it that Jesus being the son of god sounds 'wrong', but the Angel Gabriel bringing divine revelation to Muhammed sounds right?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hobbes
    How about you start a new thread if that is a genuine question and lets get it back on topic.
    Done.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74419308&postcount=1

Advertisement