Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting facts about your town/city?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

kraggy wrote: »
    Norton himself says he's from Bandon. Being a baby somewhere for a few months doesn't really count in my opinion.

Oh I agree that it doesn't really count (though I don't know how early on he moved), but nothing starviewadams said in his post was untrue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Tallaght:

At one point home of the busiest Dominos Pizza restaurant in the world.

The Square was the largest shopping centre in Ireland when it was built.

One of the estates (Kilnamanagh) is the largest private housing estate in Europe.

It is the only place in Ireland to have burnt down it's own Garda station, twice.

The name "Tallaght" is derived from the old Irish words "tamh leacht" which mean plague grave, as when the plague hit Dublin a lot of the bodies of those who died from it were brought to the area and buried in mass graves..

These facts may or may not all be completely related to each other.

Robbie Keane is from Tallaght, but so is one of the dwarves from The Hobbit, so that bit kinda balances out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

orestes wrote: »
    Tallaght:

The name "Tallaght" is derived from the old Irish words "tamh leacht" which mean plague grave, as when the plague hit Dublin a lot of the bodies of those who died from it were brought to the area and buried in mass graves..

well thats a good one, because a friend of mine rented a house in Tallaght which he swears was haunted, and hes not the type that suffers from his imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

well thats a good one, because a friend of mine rented a house in Tallaght which he swears was haunted, and hes not the type that suffers from his imagination.

There's quite a lot of paranormal or spooky history here, especially with the Hell Fire club, there's even some suggestions that Fionn of the Fianna met the woman who took him to Tir Na Nog around here somewhere, which would explain a lot about Into the West :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Madam wrote: »
    Letterkenny County Donegal - famous for Wolf Tone's capture at Laird’s Hotel (who just happen to be on one side of my family tree). The catherdal was designed by a direct descendant of William Hague the UK's Foreign Secretary.

Oh and it also has the longest street in Ireland - or so they say:)
    Without a doubt, Cookstown has the longest street in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

You're entirely right man, there isn't a lot going for it. Even the people are a bit shit. Still, it's my hometown, and I guess the familiarity is what I like. That said I don't want to stick around either, I've got a life to live and it's too sleepy here for me.

Fair 'nuff. It's funny, any time the subject of living here comes up with people I meet or work with the response is usually what you just said-that they don't want to stay here and will leave at the first opportunity. Which is my view also.

It's not the worst place I've ever been (I'm not from the town) but I certainly don't want to grow old here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

OP
    John Doe1 wrote: »
    Interesting facts about your town/city?
    not yet wrote: »
    cloud493 wrote: »
    Malahide was the hometown of U2 musicians Adam Clayton and The Edge.
    Notable Malahide residents Ronan Keating, Brendan Gleeson, Westlife's Nicky Byrne, Cecilia Ahern, Vincent Browne and Olympic sailors David Burrows & Ciara Peelo.

So............

Lol.. Guessing "not yet" has something against Malahide?

Corduff used to be called Cooleduff. :cool:

I'm a five minute drive from Muff Diving Club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

There's quite a lot of paranormal or spooky history here, especially with the Hell Fire club, there's even some suggestions that Fionn of the Fianna met the woman who took him to Tir Na Nog around here somewhere, which would explain a lot about Into the West :pac:

he was in Westpark, just remember now

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

Drogheda Droichead Átha, meaning "bridge of the ford"

Oliver Cromwell invaded Drogheda in 1649 and sent people from Drogheda to be slaves in the Caribbean.

John Philip Holland the inventor of the submarine taught at Drogheda Christian Brothers School before moving to New Jersey. He lived in the building that is now Scholars Hotel.

Evanna Lynch who played Luna Lovegood in Harry Potter went to school in Our Lady's college Greenhills, where her dad also taught.

Drogheda was founded as two separate towns, Drogheda-in-Meath and Drogheda-in-Oriel (or 'Uriel') as County Louth was then known.

The town's motto Deus praesidium, mercatura decus translates as "God our strength, merchandise our glory".[

In 1921 the preserved severed head of Saint Oliver Plunkett, who was executed in London in 1681, was put on display in St. Peters Church, where it remains today. The church is located on West Street, which is the main street in the town.

Drogheda Hosts the annual Samba Festival.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Interesting facts about my hometown... nope, I got nuthin'! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Interesting facts about my hometown... nope, I got nuthin'! :pac:

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, surely?

(You must be sooo sick of your username!:P)

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

Arklow has the official worst named nightclub in Western Europe: The Funky Box.

There are almost 30 empty shops in the Mainstreet.

We are the only town of this size in Ireland that is not linked to a sewerage treatment plant.

There has never been a TD from the town in the history of the state.

But we all love it!

Don't we? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Gonna have to chip in for the West here, but be warned folks, this is BIG.

Lindsay Lohans oul fella is from Galway.

The drink driving gene must come from her Irish heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Tallaght:

At one point home of the busiest Dominos Pizza restaurant in the world.

The Square was the largest shopping centre in Ireland when it was built.

One of the estates (Kilnamanagh) is the largest private housing estate in Europe.

It is the only place in Ireland to have burnt down it's own Garda station, twice.

These facts may or may not all be completely related to each other.

Robbie Keane is from Tallaght, but so is one of the dwarves from The Hobbit, so that bit kinda balances out.

One of my distant relatives was involved in the Battle of Tallaght where Fenians attempted to storm the old RIC barracks .He was in the RIC

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

kraggy wrote: »
    Gonna have to chip in for the West here, but be warned folks, this is BIG.

Lindsay Lohans oul fella is from Galway.

The drink driving gene must come from her Irish heritage.

Mischa Bartons and Terry Phelans mothers are from sligo.

Ive heard Lindsay galway connection .Is Micheal Lohan really from Galway or was it his dad ?
    Where abouts in galway is the connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

During the late 19th century, Rathmolyon played an important role in the development of theTwo by Twos and Cooneyite movement, the only religion known to have had its origin in Ireland.
    There used to be an RIC barracks in the village and rumour has it that ian Paisley's grandfather was stationed there and Paisley himself was born there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

brummytom wrote: »
    Birmingham. It's a shíthole with few redeeming features.

Black Sabbath and Judas Priest are both from Birmingham. That's enough reason for it to be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

A few interesting facts/myths about Galway;

*Galway was the last city to hold out against Cromwell's invasion of Ireland, when it finally caved after a 9 month siege in 1652.

*Galway is where the term lynching originates after Mayor James Lynch Fitzstephen, who condemned and executed his own guilty son for murder, hanging him from the window of his own home.

*On 1 November 1755, an earthquake in Lisbon caused a two-metre high tsunami to hit the city's coast, causing some serious damage to the "Spanish Arch" section of the city wall.

*The daughter of a local chieftain drowned in the river, and her name was Gailleamh, thus the river was given her name. The chieftain was so distraught that he set up camp at the point to mourn her spirit and keep it company. Later, a town sprung up around the point, and was called Gaillimh in her honour.

*In was on his second visit to Galway, that Christopher Columbus himself heard tales of two bodies washing up just of the coast. They were in an 'unusual' boat and the bodies had ' extraordinary appearance' (apparently they were washed up eskimos from the arctic) and Columbus having seen or heard this assumed they were Chinese and that they had sailed across the Altantic from China.

Thus he was convinced of the idea of sailing West to get to China/India, believing the Asians were already at it and returned to Europe to gain support for his expedition. His last stop on the way to the New World a few years later was again Galway, where he prayed for a safe voyage in St. Nicholas' Cathedral on Lombard St.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Galway, most affected city and region from serial objectors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Clonmel

Something about Cromwell

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Roscrea were the inaugural winners of the GAA Club Hurling Championship.

We also have a Norman castle in the centre of town. After that I can't think of much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Originally from Roundwood in Wicklow but living in Dublin a few years now. Roundwood is the highest village in Ireland. It has also close links to two former presidents, Erskine Childers is buried locally while Sean T. O'Kelly lived locally.

Daniel Day Lewis lives locally as well as does Paul McGuinness manager of U2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Daniel Alesbury in Edenderry manufactured the first car in Ireland, the Alesbury, in 1907.

Originally from Roundwood in Wicklow but living in Dublin a few years now. Roundwood is the highest village in Ireland. It has also close links to two former presidents, Erskine Childers is buried locally while Sean T. O'Kelly lived locally.

Daniel Day Lewis lives locally as well as does Paul McGuinness manager of U2.
    Plenty of drama in Roundwood.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1291&dat=19830808&id=gzVUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=rIwDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3976,1908524

Biggest gunbattle in the South since the Civil War.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Plenty of drama in Roundwood.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1291&dat=19830808&id=gzVUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=rIwDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3976,1908524

Biggest gunbattle in the South since the Civil War.

Oh yeah the IRA trying to kidnap the guy who owned/owns Brown Thomas. Actually the same house as Sean T. O'Kelly lived in!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

My mother is from Kinnitty, a village at the foothill of the Slieve Blooms. Southern RA training country. They used to have these guys banging on the back door looking for bread, there was a hostage situation at one point for another family in the locality, I can't remember the exact details can anybody enlighten me? It made media coverage at the time. 1970s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

galwayrush wrote: »
    Galway, most affected city and region from serial objectors.
    Ironically Waterford has had similar problems purely because of someone from Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

This is a stalkers ideal thread. Users posting where they're from .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    This is a stalkers ideal thread. Users posting where they're from .
    You assume anyone really cares. Besides, everyone knows this is only an extension of the Dublin forum with a few lost boggers hanging around.

Advertisement