Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting facts about your town/city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

danniemcq wrote: »
    Rathmullen, Co Donegal

Colmcille said nothing good would come from or of Rathmullen

kinda gives me a pass on drifting through life though
    Come on.
    One of the most pivotal moments in Irish history happened in Rathmullen.
    Flight of the Earls?
    The Plantation of Ulster and the modern day Troubles may not have happened without it.

In my city centre (derry)there is a network of underground tunnels going back to the 1600's.
    They were briefly re-opened in WW2 as air raid shelters, then bricked up again.
    99.9% of the populace don't even know of their existence.

Any posters in Ballybofey know of the nuclear bomb shelter in their town?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

In my city centre (derry)there is a network of underground tunnels going back to the 1600's.

Wtf I live fifteen mins away from Ballybofey, I'm 30 and have been there countless times and I never knew of a nuclear bomb shelter in the town. Where a bouts is it if ya don't mind my asking?

Conbhar wrote: »
    Wtf I live fifteen mins away from Ballybofey, I'm 30 and have been there countless times and I never knew of a nuclear bomb shelter in the town. Where a bouts is it if ya don't mind my asking?
    No idea whereabouts, but there was a news report circa 1990, (shortly after the Berlin Wall came down) that one of Ireland's few nuclear bomb shelters was for sale in Ballybofey, as a possible residence.
    Don't ask me for a link, this was before t'interweb.
    I found it bizarre as well.
    Maybe you can ask around?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

No idea whereabouts, but there was a news report circa 1990, (shortly after the Berlin Wall came down) that one of Ireland's few nuclear bomb shelters was for sale in Ballybofey, as a possible residence.
    Don't ask me for a link, this was before t'interweb.
    I found it bizarre as well.
    Maybe you can ask around?

Cheers for the info buddy, ill get digging and ask a few people I know from there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Arklow also has the best chipper in Ireland, Dustin had a song about it.

/past performance may not be a good measure of current/future quality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

In April 1919, for a short, successful period, Limerick became it's own soviet. Going so far as to print it's own currency!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Conbhar wrote: »
    Cheers for the info buddy, ill get digging and ask a few people I know from there!

Jackson Hotel is where the bunker is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Clondalkin:

It has a very old GAA club and a big,old round tower.

High unemployment.

The late Mic Christopher,Graham Norton,Ken Egan,Bernard Dunne and the Nationwide lady are all from here,plus Rodrigo Y Gabriela used to live/busk here too.

Big Garda station and a decent sized Boots shop,plus about 100 Chinese takeaways.

Graham Norton is from Bandon, Co. Cork. And Bernard Dunne is from Neilstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I live a couple hundred metres from where prostitute Honor Bright was murdered by a doctor and a Garda.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Kanturk Co Cork

The scene of the shooting of the last Wild Boar in Ireland..

was it mad I hear you say? well it wasn't too pleased about it (boom boom)

The Town erected a statue at the actual spot of the killing, unfortunately this was in the gutter in one of the main streets, so it wasn't long before a truck hit it...

the second most intersting thing about Kanturk is that it has a Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It's got a wind wand http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NewPlymouth_WindWand.jpg

The Last Samurai was shot here

It's the smallest city ever to have a tram system (now gone)

It's the most liveable city in the world (20k-75k bracket)

The nearby Volcano is unique in the world as a volcano that has had 5 cone collapse eruptions over it's history, most only do this once and is one of the most spherically symmetrical in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

The Last Samurai was shot here

boy, does that beat my Wild Boar!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Oklahoma city

The first shopping cart and parking meter were used here.

That's the height of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

John Doe1 wrote: »
    I'm from Raphoe, County Donegal.

It is considered by some to be the smallest cathedral city(ecclesiastical) in Europe.

It is the first place in the republic to host a march by the royal black preceptory (Extreme orangemen)

It was originally going to be part of northern ireland according to a draft of the boundary commision due to the amount of protestants.

You are only over the road from me then... a couple of other interesting facts about Raphoe,... it is the second highest town in Ireland. Many years ago this would have been a very strategic location for a fort.

Raphoe = Rath Bo, meaning the fort of the cow. Raphoe's altitude and commanding views of the surrounding countryside meant that approaching cattle raiders could easily be spotted and cattle could be moved out of harms way in advance.
    That weekly cattle mart goes back a long way.

* Black preceptory have a meeting hall at Rossnowlagh too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

yes... Jackson's hotel Pyramid suite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

My neighbours are nice, also there's a guy down the local pub who's great 'craic' altogether.
    Would you believe that one of the street lights was vandalised about 18 months ago and still hasn't been repaired yet, mad stuff.
    I'm in Templeogue by the way, crazy town, crazy people!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Lucan has the oldest bridge in Ireland :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

IvySlayer wrote: »

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Letterkenny County Donegal - famous for Wolf Tone's capture at Laird’s Hotel (who just happen to be on one side of my family tree). The catherdal was designed by a direct descendant of William Hague the UK's Foreign Secretary.

Oh and it also has the longest street in Ireland - or so they say:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

IvySlayer wrote: »

I dare you to try and drive over it .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Navan is a palindrome

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Gorey is the birthplace of Josef Stalin*

*well it's actually spelt Gori, and is in modern day Georgia, but as tenuous as it is, it is literally the only interesting fact about Gorey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

arklow has a pyramid

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Birmingham. It's a shíthole with few redeeming features.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

brummytom wrote: »

The people of Alabama will be pleased:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

brummytom wrote: »

What about the back of Rackhams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

kraggy wrote: »
    Graham Norton is from Bandon, Co. Cork. And Bernard Dunne is from Neilstown.

Norton's family lived in Clondalkin when he was a baby. And Neilstown is part of Clondalkin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Greentopia wrote: »
    Apart from having most major supermarkets, a cinema and a few nice natural amenities and wildlife habitats like the marsh, the quays and the sand dunes, I struggle to find much to like about the place.

What do you like about it? genuine question :)

You're entirely right man, there isn't a lot going for it. Even the people are a bit shit. Still, it's my hometown, and I guess the familiarity is what I like. That said I don't want to stick around either, I've got a life to live and it's too sleepy here for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Norton's family lived in Clondalkin when he was a baby. And Neilstown is part of Clondalkin.

Norton himself says he's from Bandon. Being a baby somewhere for a few months doesn't really count in my opinion.

Advertisement