Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting facts about your town/city?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Lucan is the world's most important city town village. FACT

its called Lucan village not Lucan town so i fixed that for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 chloexxcxx

Dominos in Tallaght is the busiest one in Europe.... Oh how I love where I live...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Balbriggan.

Balbriggan was the location of the 19th-century Smith's Stocking Mill, which made stockings as well as men's "Long-Johns" called Balbriggans. These are often mentioned in John Wayne movies - 'he put his balbriggans on and both Queen Victoria and the Czarina of Russia also wore "Balbriggans".

I wish this was my name. It sounds so madey up cool. :cool::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

chloexxcxx wrote: »
    Dominos in Tallaght is the busiest one in Europe.... Oh how I love where I live...

Afraid not, it's the busiest in the world. http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/food-drink/raking-in-the-dough-81536.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

The Irish flag was first flown in Waterford. 33 the mall I believe.
    There is also underground walkways built down here, supposedly going under the river suir.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Arklow has the official worst named nightclub in Western Europe: The Funky Box.

There are almost 30 empty shops in the Mainstreet.

We are the only town of this size in Ireland that is not linked to a sewerage treatment plant.

There has never been a TD from the town in the history of the state.

its also the only town in wicklow where burning anything other than smokeless fuel is banned. you can burn what you like in wicklow town but you can only burn smokeless fuel in arklow

another fact about arklow is that its a kip

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I wish this was my name. It sounds so madey up cool. :cool::pac:

Deed poll :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

so it is the busiest in Europe then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

seanybiker wrote: »
    The Irish flag was first flown in Waterford. 33 the mall I believe.
    There is also underground walkways built down here, supposedly going under the river suir.

We have tunnels going under the liffey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Malahide was the hometown of U2 musicians Adam Clayton and The Edge.
    Notable Malahide residents Ronan Keating, Brendan Gleeson, Westlife's Nicky Byrne, Cecilia Ahern, Vincent Browne and Olympic sailors David Burrows & Ciara Peelo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

lcrcboy wrote: »
    Limerick was a self-declared Soviet from 15 to the 27th of April 1919

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerick_Soviet

Haha brilliant!

Try this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Connaught

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Rathmullen, Co Donegal

Colmcille said nothing good would come from or of Rathmullen

kinda gives me a pass on drifting through life though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Killaloe was the ancient capital of Ireland and home to King Brian Boru.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

its also the only town in wicklow where burning anything other than smokeless fuel is banned. you can burn what you like in wicklow town but you can only burn smokeless fuel in arklow

incorrecto!

You cannot buy anything but smokeless coal in the town, but if you travel even as far as Avoca or Inch, you can buy it, and burn it in Arklow, with no ramifications.

If you want to see this in action, walk down the Wexford Road or through Fernhill on a cold night.

To be honest though, it might come across as me not liking the town, but I do like it for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

danniemcq wrote: »
    Rathmullen, Co Donegal

Colmcille said nothing good would come from or of Rathmullen

kinda gives me a pass on drifting through life though

Nice beach though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Thomas Bracken, who wrote one of New Zealand's National anthems is from Clones.

Patrick McCabe, who wrote 'The Butcher Boy' is from Clones. It was also filmed there.

Neil Jordan, Director of the butcher boy, once said "If I want to quantify anything, I measure it against Clones. There is nothing you will ever encounter in life that you haven't seen in some form in Clones."
    I get the feeling he meant this in a bad way, but Clones being Clones, we use it on promotional material.

Eugene McCabe, who wrote 'Death and Nightengales' is from Clones

There are a couple of decent festivals held in the town (The Flatlake and the film festival). The people who organise these things deserve more credit.
    The meat factory (AIBP) gives off a stong smell of shít most days.

Barry McGuigan (Boxer) is from Clones and his family still live there.

There used to be a pretty extensive railway service in the town, but that all got taken away in the 50s due to the border (and sure doesn't everyone have a car, what would you need a train for).

The motto 'You're never alone when you're a clone' was used on the town website..........it's shít (I just wanted to get that out there)

Jonathan Douglas (former Leeds United Captain, and Ex Ireland Player) is from Clones. He now plays for Brentford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

I live in Clane. Its Irish name is 'Claonadh'. In irish, claonadh also means bias or prejudice. Wonder what that says about the people that live here :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

jubella wrote: »
    I live in Clane. Its Irish name is 'Claonadh'. In irish, claonadh also means bias or prejudice. Wonder what that says about the people that live here :p

Its mentioned in portrait of the artist also:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

cloud493 wrote: »
    Malahide was the hometown of U2 musicians Adam Clayton and The Edge.
    Notable Malahide residents Ronan Keating, Brendan Gleeson, Westlife's Nicky Byrne, Cecilia Ahern, Vincent Browne and Olympic sailors David Burrows & Ciara Peelo.

So............

• Registered Users Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The area I'm from in NW donegal is (or was) the most densely populated rural area in Europe.

City im living in now is where Carling, the cheap crappy beer, was first brewed and is still brewed today. I always thought it was english.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

A film I produced on arklow a few years back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfctwcGzRYY

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

John Doe1 wrote: »
    I'm from Raphoe, County Donegal.

It is considered by some to be the smallest cathedral city(ecclesiastical) in Europe.

It is the first place in the republic to host a march by the royal black preceptory (Extreme orangemen)

It was originally going to be part of northern ireland according to a draft of the boundary commision due to the amount of protestants.
    It's also one of the strangest villages in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Navan. It's a palindrome. Has a big hole in it with some funny rocks, biggest in europe. You can't leave the centre of the town (market square) without encountering a bridge or river. We have interesting hobos wandering the streets daily. And a pole dancing club.

Wait, I don't live in naaaaaaaaaaavan....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Croagh, on the N21, 15 miles west of Limerick City, was the ecclesiastical capital of the Limerick region between the 12th and 15th centuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

cloneslad wrote: »
    Thomas Bracken, who wrote one of New Zealand's National anthems is from Clones.

Patrick McCabe, who wrote 'The Butcher Boy' is from Clones. It was also filmed there.

Neil Jordan, Director of the butcher boy, once said "If I want to quantify anything, I measure it against Clones. There is nothing you will ever encounter in life that you haven't seen in some form in Clones."
    I get the feeling he meant this in a bad way, but Clones being Clones, we use it on promotional material.

Eugene McCabe, who wrote 'Death and Nightengales' is from Clones

There are a couple of decent festivals held in the town (The Flatlake and the film festival). The people who organise these things deserve more credit.
    The meat factory (AIBP) gives off a stong smell of shít most days.

Barry McGuigan (Boxer) is from Clones and his family still live there.

There used to be a pretty extensive railway service in the town, but that all got taken away in the 50s due to the border (and sure doesn't everyone have a car, what would you need a train for).

The motto 'You're never alone when you're a clone' was used on the town website..........it's shít (I just wanted to get that out there)

Jonathan Douglas (former Leeds United Captain, and Ex Ireland Player) is from Clones. He now plays for Brentford.

You forgot to mention Star Wars: Attack of the Clones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Galway.

Bottle of b down the Sp'Arch, grand like.

The girls all have lovely bottoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

incorrecto!
    To be honest though, it might come across as me not liking the town, but I do like it for the most part.

Apart from having most major supermarkets, a cinema and a few nice natural amenities and wildlife habitats like the marsh, the quays and the sand dunes, I struggle to find much to like about the place.

What do you like about it? genuine question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Meleftone

The first car manufactured in Ireland was the Alesbury, in Edenderry by
    Alesbury Bros, Edenderry, King's County, Ireland

Exhibited at the 1907 Dublin Motor Show, the Alesbury was a light car powered by an 8/10hp 2-cylinder Stevens engine. It had solid tyres and a 4-seater body said to be constructed entirely of Irish wood. Manufacture lasted until 1908.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,252 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Tuam, County Galway. The Smallest city in the World.

And Capital of Ireland in Medieval times.

Birthplace of John Lydon's father.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Clondalkin:

It has a very old GAA club and a big,old round tower.

High unemployment.

The late Mic Christopher,Graham Norton,Ken Egan,Bernard Dunne and the Nationwide lady are all from here,plus Rodrigo Y Gabriela used to live/busk here too.

Big Garda station and a decent sized Boots shop,plus about 100 Chinese takeaways.

Advertisement