Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

Duke92 wrote: »
    Have dealt with moyvalley a few times in the last few years never had a problem and kill out was always very good

I wouldn't give them a sick hen.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Any quotes on under 16 month bulls?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Got a kill sheet back for a load of cattle. There are weights on it for both carcass sides. How can there be such a difference in weights of both sides? 11kg on one carcass. That's nearly €50 of a difference. Maybe there is a simple explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dryan

I wouldn't give them a sick hen.

Can you folk share your bad experiences here. I send cattle there a few times a year through an agent. I also use other factories in the area. Chq arrives in the post a few days later with agreed quotes. What do i need to be looking out for here?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

dryan wrote: »
    Can you folk share your bad experiences here. I send cattle there a few times a year through an agent. I also use other factories in the area. Chq arrives in the post a few days later with agreed quotes. What do i need to be looking out for here?

Grading a little and killout %. Amount of trim varies between factories. If people unhappy, it generally is that the killout was very poor based on liveweight going in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Weights they tell you are always a mile shy. And the only grade they know how to print is o4.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

sent one load there before,
    wont be sending another !
    they say one thing and do another

Sent a load of cows there before out of a bunch, sent rest of bunch to dawn (prob the worst half of the bunch) and got on better in local dawn 2 weeks after I put it down to loss in transport as dawn only 15 mins from me.

Did ring to question alright but might as well not have bothered

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Good loser

Willfarman wrote: »
    Weights they tell you are always a mile shy. And the only grade they know how to print is o4.

Are they the crowd that charge €5 a head insurance and no opt out?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

ellewood wrote: »
    Sent a load of cows there before out of a bunch, sent rest of bunch to dawn (prob the worst half of the bunch) and got on better in local dawn 2 weeks after I put it down to loss in transport as dawn only 15 mins from me.

Did ring to question alright but might as well not have bothered

When things weren't so bright for the cull cow, I couldn't get all of mine into Clones. Agent got the rest into Moyvalley.
    All went off on a Wednesday evening. Clones cows killed next day. Moyvalley cows "overbooked" and not killed until following Monday. They were put to nearby feedlot until then; or so I was told..
    Anyway they graded below the others although they were similar stock and when I got the cheque I was billed for 4 days feeding at €1.50 per head per day.

When I raised a stink I was told to blame the Agent.
    I had to drive up there myself to get answers but got no satisfaction.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Has anyone else noticed agents being very keen for angus cattle this week? I'd nearly swear they looked on my cmms profile before they came out to look at the cattle and memorised the tag numbers:(

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

TUBBY wrote: »
    Grading a little and killout %. Amount of trim varies between factories. If people unhappy, it generally is that the killout was very poor based on liveweight going in.

That's a load of crap weighed cattle for there before killed 54% same as abp grading was grand an odd one I might have taught might have done better but that's the same everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

That's a load of crap weighed cattle for there before killed 54% same as abp grading was grand an odd one I might have taught might have done better but that's the same everywhere

Sent a load once as mentioned earlier shower of fcuks always on the lookout for a low blow.
    Price agreed was 4.10 plus QA never had cattle grade as bad.
    When I got the sheet I could nt believe it would have got more if I sent a load of cull cows.

Read my post please. I didn't say Moyvalley in particular. What i said was when people complain about a factory, the issue is killout or grade basically.

how many cattle did you weigh and kill there for that 54% killout average. To dismiss a good few posters who actually mentioned that factory, you must kill a hell of a lot of cattle there with no issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

I said wrote: »
    Sent a load once as mentioned earlier shower of fcuks always on the lookout for a low blow.
    Price agreed was 4.10 plus QA never had cattle grade as bad.
    When I got the sheet I could nt believe it would have got more if I sent a load of cull cows.

Looks like they saw ya coming. Non regular customer so decided to make a bit of money of ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭mf240

Sold good contenental cull cows in it.

They were giving me a super price for r,s

They graded os and the weight was very disapointing.

Wouldnt deal with them again.

had friesan cows make more money in dawn around the same time.

AP2014 wrote: »
    Looks like they saw ya coming. Non regular customer so decided to make a bit of money of ya.

They saw a lot of lads coming from this area. They only seen them coming once though.

mf240 wrote: »
    They saw a lot of lads coming from this area. They only seen them coming once though.

Ya must be from a soft area. Least ya won't have to pay for clippings twice. ;o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭tim04750

blue5000 wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed agents being very keen for angus cattle this week? I'd nearly swear they looked on my cmms profile before they came out to look at the cattle and memorised the tag numbers:(

Neverrrrrrr !!!:eek:

. Least ya won't have to pay for clippings twice. ;o)

Howdya mean??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Once bitten and how the fcuk would they expect to get any regulars carrying on like that.
    Anyways you don't deal with factories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

When things weren't so bright for the cull cow, I couldn't get all of mine into Clones. Agent got the rest into Moyvalley.
    All went off on a Wednesday evening. Clones cows killed next day. Moyvalley cows "overbooked" and not killed until following Monday. They were put to nearby feedlot until then; or so I was told..
    Anyway they graded below the others although they were similar stock and when I got the cheque I was billed for 4 days feeding at €1.50 per head per day.

When I raised a stink I was told to blame the Agent.
    I had to drive up there myself to get answers but got no satisfaction.

Moyvalley have a feedlot there fairly close.....
    Everyone wanted electronic grading and get the humans out of the grading...grading shouldn't be different now in any factory

rangler1 wrote: »
    Everyone wanted electronic grading and get the humans out of the grading...grading shouldn't be different now in any factory

Nothing wrong with a uniform electronic grader rangler. Calibration and settings on it should be inspected carefully though to ensure there is no mischief in individual factories.

With the factories behaviour over the last year and even the E3 payment thing for QA, it's little wonder that trust is an issue in every respect.

I said wrote: »
    Once bitten and how the fcuk would they expect to get any regulars carrying on like that.
    Anyways you don't deal with factories.

Jesus they have made you angry anyway. I don't deal with them thank feck or else they would screw me over just like you. Unless I was sending them a few hundred a year.

Its slightly amusing to think your load of cattle is probably used to pay for their xmas party or summer bbq night out. Bad bast**ds. Happens in other industries as well I would say if u are a small supplier.

Nothing wrong with a uniform electronic grader rangler. Calibration and settings on it should be inspected carefully though to ensure there is no mischief in individual factories.

With the factories behaviour over the last year and even the E3 payment thing for QA, it's little wonder that trust is an issue in every respect.

You just wonder were they just in a difficult market, Slaney say they had the worst year ever and Foyle meats didn't do well either.
    They don't have it simple either, I don't think I'd stand at the gates of ICM now if lads got upset about the price of lamb.
    A farmer said to me at one of the protests '' sure the ones that want to keep us out here (protesting) aren't here at all''....... I just thought how true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

You have lead a very sheltered life if you have never been screwed by a factory at some stage. We have all been done at some stage. Have never send cattle to Moyvally and have heard no story's about it. Gennerally it is non regular customers that get screwed. It is generally when they get a super price.

Happened to me a few years back, sold a large batch 20 bulls and 12 bullocks. This factory wanted the bulls for the Spanish market at the time. Price was 6p/lb better than local and they were supposed to pick up half the haulage. They did but they deducted it from my cheque.

Bulls all graded R's no U's at the time U's were got easier than now and wewight were back as well. Bullocks graded ok but weight were brutal. had kill some out of same batch earlier because of age and weight was no comparsion. No satisfaction to be got as carcasses were shipped.

A few years later went to buy a tractor up the country and got talking to the farmer selling again a non regular customer and same story and when he wanted to get them regraded same story.
    rangler1 wrote: »
    Everyone wanted electronic grading and get the humans out of the
    grading...grading shouldn't be different now in any factory

There is no machine with a chip in it that cannot be reprogrammed. Look at the way cars are tuned. These are not exactly rocket technology. Was a factory in SE caught at it a few years ago had they not to pay a fine and give back money on cattle etc. They were also done for over trimming

Behaviour is the big thing changing rules and pricing structures. It amazes me how accidently they can do it at the same time. Yet we have never seen the CA look at them. Trim is a huge issue as well. Take earlier that some poster made the point about the 5/head insurance being compulsory wonder do they include all cattle loads of factory's are now stopping insurance on anything that has even a slight limp.

There is no trust and it understandable. Lately I see local factory hammering fat score 5- with an 18c penalty above 4+, Really hits the price of the animal expecially for lads that lose QA as well. Saw a lad with a bunch of heifers hammered lately.

You have lead a very sheltered life if you have never been screwed by a factory at some stage. We have all been done at some stage. Have never send cattle to Moyvally and have heard no story's about it. Gennerally it is non regular customers that get screwed. It is generally when they get a super price.

Happened to me a few years back, sold a large batch 20 bulls and 12 bullocks. This factory wanted the bulls for the Spanish market at the time. Price was 6p/lb better than local and they were supposed to pick up half the haulage. They did but they deducted it from my cheque.

Bulls all graded R's no U's at the time U's were got easier than now and wewight were back as well. Bullocks graded ok but weight were brutal. had kill some out of same batch earlier because of age and weight was no comparsion. No satisfaction to be got as carcasses were shipped.

A few years later went to buy a tractor up the country and got talking to the farmer selling again a non regular customer and same story and when he wanted to get them regraded same story.

There is no machine with a chip in it that cannot be reprogrammed. Look at the way cars are tuned. These are not exactly rocket technology. Was a factory in SE caught at it a few years ago had they not to pay a fine and give back money on cattle etc. They were also done for over trimming

Behaviour is the big thing changing rules and pricing structures. It amazes me how accidently they can do it at the same time. Yet we have never seen the CA look at them. Trim is a huge issue as well. Take earlier that some poster made the point about the 5/head insurance being compulsory wonder do they include all cattle loads of factory's are now stopping insurance on anything that has even a slight limp.

There is no trust and it understandable. Lately I see local factory hammering fat score 5- with an 18c penalty above 4+, Really hits the price of the animal expecially for lads that lose QA as well. Saw a lad with a bunch of heifers hammered lately.

How do you accept the amount on your diesel suppliers meter, I'm sure that can be changed too.
    In the lamb business, fat score five deserves to be hammered, don't know about beef. A lot of the farmers I hear complaining about KO don't even have their own scales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭cute geoge

What is the expected % kill out in cows and heifers o= 3= ,as it happens I sent youngish fr cows which killed out at only low to mid 40,s to the afore mentioned plant but I put it down to they might be incalf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭Base price

[QUOTE=rangler1;94200457]How do you accept the amount on your diesel suppliers meter, I'm sure that can be changed too.
    In the lamb business, fat score five deserves to be hammered, don't know about beef. A lot of the farmers I hear complaining about KO don't even have their own scales.[/QUOTE]
    Revenue Commissioners Weights and Measures used to oversee that meters were correct. I think NSAI are the statutory body responsible now.
    Are mechanical graders covered by weights and measures regulations?

Base price wrote: »
    Revenue Commissioners Weights and Measures used to oversee that meters were correct. I think NSAI are the statutory body responsible now.
    Are mechanical graders covered by weights and measures regulations?

There's thousands of cattle going across factory scales and graders....if there was a problem, no one would be selling to the factory, I never have any problem with the lambs weights and grades.
    A lot of unnecessary paranoia out there about it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Where do you normally sell?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement