Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Mods there is a number of threads already on here where much of above can be argued.

can we have our beef price tracker back for that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭Base price

OH got a call from a factory looking for dairy bulls for the Chinese market. We don't have any to suit at the moment. They are offering €3.20/O's and €3.10/P's which isn't enough considering finishing meal is c. €225/ton (min of 5 ton) delivered from our supplier for a maize/barley/oat/vit+min mix. From memory the factory quotes are the same as this time last year and unless they (factories) substantially increase their quotes then I think the Vet will be called to band cattle. We know a few farmers that rear dairy bull calves but most got them squeezed during the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnnyw20

Base price wrote: »
    OH got a call from a factory looking for dairy bulls for the Chinese market. We don't have any to suit at the moment. They are offering €3.20/O's and €3.10/P's which isn't enough considering finishing meal is c. €225/ton (min of 5 ton) delivered from our supplier for a maize/barley/oat/vit+min mix. From memory the factory quotes are the same as this time last year and unless they (factories) substantially increase their quotes then I think the Vet will be called to band cattle. We know a few farmers that rear dairy bull calves but most got them squeezed during the Summer.
    What part of the country is this ? I’ve 5 dairy bulls 20 months fit to go and keep getting told by agent That they are not killing bulls because they can’t kill the bulls the same days they are killing for China

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Attie Ross

Base price wrote: »

Friend told me on Tuesday 150 bull's ready he kills fair few, factory won't even answer his phone calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

last week had an agent from the local factory (3 miles away) out here early looking at aa bullocks under 30 months quality assured..4 we reckoned are fit to kill..was told there ideal for what they want an all so they were booked in..no word of a kill day so rang the agent today to be told it could be another 2 weeks and there mainly after cattle suitable for China..(which we both agreed these and the rest of the shed of bullocks were ideal for??!)...so with the thought of feeding fit cattle for another 2 weeks i rang another agent for a different plant (well over an hour away)..to be told no problems let me know soon as you want them killed!!...the mind boggles with these factories!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,081 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

last week had an agent from the local factory (3 miles away) out here early looking at aa bullocks under 30 months quality assured..4 we reckoned are fit to kill..was told there ideal for what they want an all so they were booked in..no word of a kill day so rang the agent today to be told it could be another 2 weeks and there mainly after cattle suitable for China..(which we both agreed these and the rest of the shed of bullocks were ideal for??!)...so with the thought of feeding fit cattle for another 2 weeks i rang another agent for a different plant (well over an hour away)..to be told no problems let me know soon as you want them killed!!...the mind boggles with these factories!

Depends on their supply I suppose, you must be happy to get them going,
    IFA tell us there's only 18kgs of every beast killed going to china so they have to kill a lot of cattle to get a fridge full

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭Sami23

wrangler wrote: »
    Depends on their supply I suppose, you must be happy to get them going,
    IFA tell us there's only 18kgs of every beast killed going to china so they have to kill a lot of cattle to get a fridge full

Why only 18 kgs

Sami23 wrote: »
    Why only 18 kgs

Just some of the offal, that's what we were told last night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

The are taking forequarter cuts also.

with the deficit in pork in china and due to get worse with asf they will soon be glad of any beef they can get,looking like the uk now expecting it to arrive too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Was talking to a friend last night who sold HRx bullocks that graded O. Some as low as 3.29.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,225 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Was talking to a friend last night who sold HRx bullocks that graded O. Some as low as 3.29.

Either O- or over 30 month bullocks. I killed a O+ over 30month last week his price was 3-33/kg.neither did this bullock grade last few over 30month cattle graded at least a grade below what they should have

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭jaymla627

with the deficit in pork in china and due to get worse with asf they will soon be glad of any beef they can get,looking like the uk now expecting it to arrive too.

I'm just waiting to see what gems bord bia come out with regarding Brazilian beef tracking Irish price quality assured my hole, looks like Larry wont even pay world price now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

AFAIK it's shin beef and ribs going to China and they don't want over 30mth cattle. Brazil price has lifted because of China so they must be selling more than ribs and shins there:confused:

I got 3.30 and 3.40 for U bulls over 24 mths, but was waiting 6 weeks to get them killed. There's a big variation between factories for out of spec stock depending on what they have contracts for so shop around would be my suggestion.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Just got a story on the €10000 heifer in carrick,
    The buyer came over in helicopter from wales I think and judged on first day.
    Went home and came back next day and bought the heifer, then went up to the North and paid €6500 for another one.

Just got a story on the €10000 heifer in carrick,
    The buyer came over in helicopter from wales I think and judged on first day.
    Went home and came back next day and bought the heifer, then went up to the North and paid €6500 for another one.

had he much of a job park it?..im banned from bring mine to the local mart..

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

had he much of a job park it?..im banned from bring mine to the local mart..

I got done for having green diesel in mine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

gerryirl wrote: »
    I got done for having green diesel in mine

Ballymote?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

mayota wrote: »
    Ballymote?

no in the helicopter

Any prices for under 24 month bulls lately? It’s a month since we killed any and it was at €3.40 for u’s. The journal is quoting €3.50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭Robson99

Any quotes on heifers for this week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Talking to a few the last few days that reckon that there will be a 20c rise this side of Christmas and a few cent more in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Send of a few heifers this morning for 3.50. Agent said there’ll be no rise this side of Christmas anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭1373

Talking to a few the last few days that reckon that there will be a 20c rise this side of Christmas and a few cent more in January.

Don’t want to sound like a factory agent but that is not going to happen. That’s nearly 10 cent a week while factories are flooded with cattle . If you’re getting cattle killed December 20 , you’re agreeing prices days beforehand so that’s 2 weeks away

1373 wrote: »
    Don’t want to sound like a factory agent but that is not going to happen. That’s nearly 10 cent a week while factories are flooded with cattle . If you’re getting cattle killed December 20 , you’re agreeing prices days beforehand so that’s 2 weeks away

They'll be reducing kill too shortly because demand plummets after Christmas.

Not much commitment here either

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/possible-price-increase-on-the-cards-after-taskforce-meeting/?fbclid=IwAR1bNAWU73PQor00DaqNq8RYdF6Xo3EInifC9WwznshezzV86Y_aAkDHSYo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Factories are not flooded with uk spec cattle at all. In actual fact uk spec type Angus or Hereford Cattle are being looked for today for killing this week in a south east den of thieves. But no increase in price but A good sign non the less.

agent here Monday cattle gone tonight to slane..seems to be a big difference between factories and waiting lists

• Registered Users Posts: 18,225 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Not sure if they will. One noticeable thing over the last 2-3 weeks is there was no flood of cheap pork in the shops. Normally with amount of leg meat going into hams there would be a flood of pork chops and pork steaks in supermarket's.

While white meat will be in demand I cannot see the kill being dropped drastically this year. Pigs is now hitting 2/kg DW. This will up the price of pork in the shops.

Slava Ukrainii

agent here Monday cattle gone tonight to slane..seems to be a big difference between factories and waiting lists

Any increase in prices?

• Advertisement

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Any increase in prices?

no word of anything yet anyway

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement