Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tarot card readers mediums do you believe?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sharrow wrote: »
    Yes what gets posted in newspapers as horrorscopes for the most part if twaddle and maskerades as being related to people's sun signs.

Actual astrology is more complex. It's something I am sort of still on the fence about but have had enough interesting experiences esp around mercury retrograde to keep me reading, making note of what planets are in what houses and writing down my observations.

I'd put it in the same twaddle box as crystals, palm reading, homeopathy, faith healing and anything involving auras or angels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Guys, the OP chose to post this in the Ladies Lounge over any other forum - can you respect that, stop with the one-line funnehs and put downs and allow discussion to take place as per the charter of this forum.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Starokan wrote: »
    I would believe that there are card readers/mediums who are genuine and possess the abilities to glimpse the future or contact someone who is dead.

We possess 5 senses which give all of us the ability to taste, to smell to hear,to see & to touch. Most of us will have read about or have heard mention of a sixth sense, this sixth sense is intuition. I believe that true psychics/mediums etc are in touch with their sixth sense. The more in touch with their sixth sense they are hence the better medium/psychic they make.

We give off an enormous range of emotions every day e.g. anger/hate/love/joy/sadness/despair/hope. We are constantly thinking or projecting what we wish to happen in our lives be it a better job, a relative to get better or a wish to find someone to love.

It is not inconceivable to me to believe that someone completely in tune with their sixth sense could pick up on this and make a somewhat accurate reading as to ones future life.

Of course there are hundreds of charlatans out there and unfortunately many unhappy people who will pay a lot of money to them. The ones that particularly annoy me are the premium psychic lines and text services that can really suck someone in.

That does not mean however that all people in this field are this way.

Actually there are a lot more than five senses (sense of hot, sense of cold, proprioception etc...). Intuition is nonsense IMO. Either that or it is what was described in the book Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. Sunconcious thought processes that your mind carries out in seconds without you noticing. An example of this is to look at someone a few hundred metres down the road. It's quite likely that you will be able to tell whether this individual is male or female without thinking about it. A combination of the walk and the hip/shoulder ratios I'd imagine, but it's not something you conciously think about, you just know.

I can tell people by the sound of their walk. I can tell people by the way they cough or clear their troat. I can tell if people are happy/sad/whatever by their facial expression (even if neutral) and general comportment. That doesn't make me psychic, it makes me observant.

Are you aware that the James Randi Foundation offers 1 million dollars to anyone who can prove that they have supernatural powers? No one has ever claimed this. Do you not think if these so-called psychics/tarot card readers/astrologers (AKA charlartans) actually had any paranormal powers they would be better served winning this prize rather than parting gullible people from their cash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Are you aware that the James Randi Foundation offers 1 million dollars to anyone who can prove that they have supernatural powers? No one has ever claimed this.

They also will give that money to anyone that can prove homeopathy works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I'm pretty good at cold reading. It's really quite easy and once you hit a seam, it's easy enough to mine it to the point where you can convince people of anything. There are a few tricks to it and it's amazing how much information people will give you without ever knowing it.

I do it for the laugh in the pub, but never take it too far. If I were willing to take advantage of vulnerable, needy people, it would be easy to do and make money from. The professional fortune tellers are thieves, liars and parasites, nothing more than a parlour trick put to bad use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Actually there are a lot more than five senses (sense of hot, sense of cold, proprioception etc...). Intuition is nonsense IMO. Either that or it is what was described in the book Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. Sunconcious thought processes that your mind carries out in seconds without you noticing. An example of this is to look at someone a few hundred metres down the road. It's quite likely that you will be able to tell whether this individual is male or female without thinking about it. A combination of the walk and the hip/shoulder ratios I'd imagine, but it's not something you conciously think about, you just know.

I can tell people by the sound of their walk. I can tell people by the way they cough or clear their troat. I can tell if people are happy/sad/whatever by their facial expression (even if neutral) and general comportment. That doesn't make me psychic, it makes me observant.

Are you aware that the James Randi Foundation offers 1 million dollars to anyone who can prove that they have supernatural powers? No one has ever claimed this. Do you not think if these so-called psychics/tarot card readers/astrologers (AKA charlartans) actually had any paranormal powers they would be better served winning this prize rather than parting gullible people from their cash?

yes ive heard of the james randi foundation, as to why no one has claimed his million dollar offer i genuinely dont know enough about it to speculate . An unclaimed prize from this foundation would not be enough for me to make a blanket assumption that every single person in the world who makes a claim to a psychic ability is fake though.

Regarding intuition to me its a process that involves no analytical reasoning at all, i would agree with you on the above examples you provide that yes they examples of observations. I have never heard of "Blink" but I will try get a copy as it seems pretty interesting.

I think we could probably post back and forth all day and neither of us would change our viewpoint on the whole concept of psychic abilities.

For me my belief in psychic abilites is rooted in my other beliefs. For example I believe in a life after death, i believe that when the physical body dies the consciousness survives. This is not a religious belief for me its just something that deep down i believe to be true. As an add on to my belief of life after death i find it completely plausible that someone ie a medium could through an innate or developed psychic ability make contact with someone who has died.

Do I possess this abilty no i absolutely do not, but it doesnt mean im closed off to the idea of someone else doing so.

As regards charlatans & fakes I abhor them and yes they prey on the weak and gullible and this industy if you like allows them to do so. I refuse to tar everyone with the same brush though.

Humanity is evolving all the time, i am in no doubt that someday psychic ability will be definitively proved by the recognised scientific community. I have the pleasure of knowing many good people working in fields such as neuro biology, advanced physics etc and while many would disagree with me on this many would also agree.

I realise that for many people when they hear the terms psychics etc they immediately think fraud and it seems to elicit some very strong responses from people who feel the need to knock it completely without ever trying to study or learn anything about it (Im not aiming that you at you in particular its just an observation in general). My thinking would be that throughout history humanity has looked at the seemingly impossible and progress has proven the naesayers wrong.

As regards the existence of psychic abilities for me all possibilities are still open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

Starokan wrote: »

Humanity is evolving all the time, i am in no doubt that someday psychic ability will be definitively proved by the recognised scientific community. I have the pleasure of knowing many good people working in fields such as neuro biology, advanced physics etc and while many would disagree with me on this many would also agree.

I realise that for many people when they hear the terms psychics etc they immediately think fraud and it seems to elicit some very strong responses from people who feel the need to knock it completely without ever trying to study or learn anything about it (Im not aiming that you at you in particular its just an observation in general). My thinking would be that throughout history humanity has looked at the seemingly impossible and progress has proven the naesayers wrong.

As regards the existence of psychic abilities for me all possibilities are still open.

I brought the Popp experiments to James Randi's website but they wouldn't give me a mirrion dorrarrs :(

• Site Banned Posts: 116 ✭✭DERPY HOOFS

I know 2 people who are family members who do it as a scam.
    Most of it is just advising people.You can make good money from it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I dont think the popularity of tarot card readers and mediums can be fully understood by appealing to logic alone. Sure the cards or a good medium can get information out of someone and often when answers are being looked for the person already knows the answer to the question themselves but cant hear their own voice.
    Psychics and mediums, listen, and not just to the words. The cards have images of archetypes of charachters and common human situations a client may react to and this can quickly open up conversations that might otherwise be difficult to get into.
    Its more like poetry and art than logic.
    Words
    by Shinkichi Takahashi

I dont take your words
    Merely as words
    Far from it.

I listen
    To what makes you talk -
    Whatever that is -
    And me listen.
    How often are any of us really listend to?
    There are other reasons people go to mediums and psychics, for the craic, curiousity etc but the experience of being listend to is quite powerful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 marcopolo1919

hi can someone give me the phone number and contact of a very good card reader in Cork area.

thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Dragging up year old threads is frowned upon, so locking this thread. Thanks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement