Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tarot card readers mediums do you believe?

Options
  • 23-01-2012 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Just as the title says got one friend who goes a least once a month ! Swears by them.l am very wary thoughts?

Comments

Derren Brown gives a pretty good explanation as to how most Mediums work. I'm completely open to the fact there could be some that are legitimate, but generally most would operate that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Once a month I think is excessive tbh, sounds like she is going as a distraction/enterainment or just to have someone to talk to. If she has issues she is trying to resolve she'd be best of seeing a counsellor for about the same cost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Scam artists the lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Went twice and while i'd be skeptical of them now, at the time they were the best money I spent. Even if they stuffed me with lies it was what I needed to hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Thieves and/or liars.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Scam artists the lot of them.
    amacachi wrote: »
    Thieves and/or liars.
    +1

I have no idea how shuffling a deck of cards and randomly picking one can predict someone's future.
    When I think of psychics either:
    (a) They're a scam artist and swindling me out of my cash or
    (b) HIGHLY UNLIKELY- they can predict the future, in which case I certainly wouldn't want to know!

I never have/would never go to one. I've better things to waste my money on! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

if theyre that good and know whats coming up in life, their lives must be truly great, with knowing the lottery numbers and all :rolleyes:

whoopi goldberg in ghost comes to mind!

I would get my cards read every 6 months to 18months depending if I feel the need to.
    I have friends who have the skill/nack and I prefer to get them to do it but occasionally it can be good to go to a complete stranger who knows nothing about my life and see what comes up in the spread.

Tarot cards have a long history and are rich in symbolism and fair enough if a person thinks they are utter hokum no one is forcing you to get a reading done.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    whoopi goldberg in ghost comes to mind!
    Ha, that's who I was thinking of there! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Absolute rubbish, in my opinion.

It's scary the amount of power they have though. A good friend of mine has been with a guy on and off for several years. He's cheated on her and he's a drug dealer, she's broken up with him because of this before (she's never done drugs herself.)

Anyways she recently went to some psychic, who told her that the man she's with now mightnt be perfect, but he's going through a bad phase, but she should accept his failings and stick with him because they are going to end up very happily married with three kids, and he'll be the perfect husband and father.

So, now, she's basically letting him away with anything.

Now I know it's her own fault for being so stupidly naive and impressionable. But I just really dislike people who would make money out of taking advantage of someone as vulnerable as my friend. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

There are two types of spiritualist/medium/psychic/snake oil salesperson. The genuinely deluded who believe they have a 'gift', and the exploitationists who simply prey on vulnerable people in search of answers.

If you need to feel some control over your life, convincing yourself you have a glimpse into the future/guidance from beyond the grave or whatever, from some coloured bits of cardboard, is not the way to go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

It is based on the Forer Effect... that basically if you think that the reading/analysis is about you, and it is sufficiently vague that you can apply your own interpretation, you will rate it with a high degree of accuracy.

From wikipedia:

In 1948, psychologist Bertram R. Forer gave a personality test to his students. He told his students they were each receiving a unique personality analysis that was based on the test's results and to rate their analysis on a scale of 0 (very poor) to 5 (excellent) on how well it applied to themselves. In reality, each received the same analysis:

“You have a great need for other people to like and admire you. You have a tendency to be critical of yourself. You have a great deal of unused capacity which you have not turned to your advantage. While you have some personality weaknesses, you are generally able to compensate for them. Disciplined and self-controlled outside, you tend to be worrisome and insecure inside. At times you have serious doubts as to whether you have made the right decision or done the right thing. You prefer a certain amount of change and variety and become dissatisfied when hemmed in by restrictions and limitations. You pride yourself as an independent thinker and do not accept others' statements without satisfactory proof. You have found it unwise to be too frank in revealing yourself to others. At times you are extroverted, affable, sociable, while at other times you are introverted, wary, reserved. Some of your aspirations tend to be pretty unrealistic. Security is one of your major goals in life.”

On average, the rating was 4.26, but only after the ratings were turned in was it revealed that each student had received identical copies assembled by Forer from various horoscopes. As can be seen from the profile, there are a number of statements that could apply equally to anyone. These statements later became known as Barnum statements, after P.T. Barnum.

Personally, I think it's fascinating. I've never been to a 'psychic', but have read the cards numerous times myself. I don't belive they can predict the future, but do believe they can be a way of examining your own psyche, allowing you to identify issues (and indeed answers) that you may be missing, not by mystical means, but by letting yourself truly focus on yourself. Of course, the same thing could be done without the cards, but sometimes things are easier with a prop. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I duno... i think maybe there could be something to it
    however i also think the vast majority of people out there selling it are chancers
    same for the two psychics i went to
    one told me i was going to marry someone i already know and probably the guy i was seeing at the time - not bloody likely, he was a total asshole
    another one told a friend who went that they'd be married by the time they were 27
    friend bursts out laughing
    "why, you don't think it's likely?"
    "i'm 31"

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

I wenr to one 4 years ago. I was going through a really rough time and i suppose i just wanted to go for a bit of craic and to see what she said. I did my research on who to go and was told by several people she was very reputable.

she absolutely stunned me with the things she came out with about my present and future.

But she also advised me that you should only go to a medium once every 6 months. I was a bit of a skeptic before i went in and now i beleive some people have a gift and some dont.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

bluewolf wrote: »
    I duno... i think maybe there could be something to it
    however i also think the vast majority of people out there selling it are chancers
    same for the two psychics i went to
    one told me i was going to marry someone i already know and probably the guy i was seeing at the time - not bloody likely, he was a total asshole
    another one told a friend who went that they'd be married by the time they were 27
    friend bursts out laughing
    "why, you don't think it's likely?"
    "i'm 31"

Et tu, Bluete?

You're the last person I would have expected to give these charlatans the time of day.:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Et tu, Bluete?

You're the last person I would have expected to give these charlatans the time of day.:confused:

i went to the first one at the insistence and badgering of my mother
    i went to the other because "he's really good to talk to and it'll be a laugh anyway"
    he wasn't, it wasn't, and i won't be going back again

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

bluewolf wrote: »
    i went to the first one at the insistence and badgering of my mother
    i went to the other because "he's really good to talk to and it'll be a laugh anyway"
    he wasn't, it wasn't, and i won't be going back again

Lack of grammatical structure and punctuation, plus may or may not believe in mediums...

Who are you and what have you done with Bluewolf? :eek: :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Liars and charlatans. Truly awful people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I think anyone who thinks these people are telling the truth should really assess their life

Lack of grammatical structure and punctuation, plus may or may not believe in mediums...

Who are you and what have you done with Bluewolf? :eek: :P

Pay 10 euro a minute to find out now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Friends had a reading and said she got some pretty specific stuff right - like names and ornaments in a room. That surprised me, but otherwise I'm skeptical.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The paranormal forum deals with this topic every day. (What do you mean you didnt know we had a paranormal forum here? :) ) I dont think someone should see a psychic every month. Thats someone attempting to put their choices into someone elses hands rather than dealing with things themselves. It's not healthy.

Ive seen some good psychics. Ive seen some godawful ones. I dont have any problem with the use or belief in such things, but I do have a huge problem with the obscene amounts of money being charged by unqualified and untested people for what is basically an unregulated counselling service.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'd genuinely question the sanity of anyone who thinks tarot readers are anything more than complete scam artists and scumbags, These people use simple psychology to prey on vunerable people who need answers to something, absolute conmen/women

Going back to Derren Brown again - did anyone see the wonderful documentary he did about mediums? The conclusion he came to somewhat is that perhaps it's not a bad thing that they are there, regardless of whether they're real or not; they provide comfort to those who are recently bereft and also help those move on.

Giselle wrote: »
    There are two types of spiritualist/medium/psychic/snake oil salesperson. The genuinely deluded who believe they have a 'gift', and the exploitationists who simply prey on vulnerable people in search of answers.

Yes, yes the same way people are deluded about God/s. :rolleyes:

And now some one else has said I am insane, charming.

You don't have to believe you have a 'gift' to use Tarot cards.
    They are filled with Jungian archetypes and symbolism.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

No I don't believe. I was really interested in this kind of stuff when I was younger. I read many a book on psychics. Mediums, tarot readers - even numerology and the effects the cosmos may have on us. I was open to the theory it wasn't all crap.
    But the more I read - as intriguing as it could be - the more skeptical I became. I think the future is not written. The only gift any of these people probably have is the ability to read people and the visual cues.

Every choice we make leads to what may happen in our lives. It's not seeing the future to predict what may happen but understanding patterns and what kind of choices and a persons history is a skill. Ever noticed a psychic etc always starts a reading by 'stating' things about your past or you as a person? However vague. This gives you a feel for the type of person and history you're dealing with and thus what kind of reading to give.

There are plenty of charlatans who cannot even read people and are in it solely for the money.

However you can't really discount that things like this does bring comfort to some folks. Like a religion does for others. Its unfortunate that it isn't regulated so people can be taken for an (expensive) ride

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Sharrow wrote: »
    They are filled with Jungian archetypes and symbolism.

What exactly does that mean in real life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Folks,

There are ways and means of carrying on a discussion without being petty or insulting to other posters who don't share your point of view.

Remember, flaming is against site rules.

Anyone who hasn't already done so, could you please familiarise yourself with the forum charter HERE and post accordingly.

Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Tarot card readings belong in the same bin as homeopathy.

• Advertisement

What exactly does that mean in real life?

If you are interested in learning more then I suggest you read up on Jung and his work
    Man and His Symbols http://www.amazon.com/Man-Symbols-Carl-Gustav-Jung/dp/0440351839

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement