Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tarot card readers mediums do you believe?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Oryx wrote: »
    I dont have any problem with the use or belief in such things, but I do have a huge problem with the obscene amounts of money being charged by unqualified and untested people for what is basically an unregulated counselling service.

I'm not trying to be smart, but as opposed to which qualified and tested people?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

If there are genuine ones, I've never met one. A relative makes good money reading the cards, and out of politeness when they offer a reading I will sit with them. I genuinely believe that they believe they are genuine, but boy, have they got a lot of stuff wrong.

I think with the vast majority, they become a self fullilling prophecy - If you are told that you are going to go abroad that year and you never considered it, then you probably start browsing holiday destinations and round up your mates.

If you are told that one of your friends may be going behind your back, well you take a closer look at the less loyal ones, dont you?

If they say you are going to meet a dark haired man who is the one- well you probably wont look twice at the fair haired bloke trying to chat you up. (no joke - a friend of mine had men hanging out of her but because none of them met the physical characteristics the fortune teller described she wouldnt even give them the time of day. Then she would moan all the time about how single and unhappy she was :rolleyes:)

I have seen girls race up the aisle with a guy and you know the loan for the wedding will last far longer than the marriage, just because the are approaching an age where a fortune teller told them they would be getting married.

I believe that they are grand for a bit of a giggle but I dont believe that you should live your life according to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The whole business of 'oh the things they told me were amazing' can usually be explained by cold-reading. Someone like Keith Barry is very good at it. It's deduction and patter and the quick sense to pick up on little things that the customer gives away about themselves unwittingly.

The entertainment value is all very well and good but basing life decisions on advice given to you by a total stranger who's only after your money is not smart.

In general would card readers' customers be more female than male? I generally hear about psychics from women rather than men which is odd to me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I don't believe in it, and the last two times I went to get my palm read for the craic, I was sent away because she 'couldn't get a reading'.

However, my skepticism aside, I did once get a message from a medium the other side of the country. My sister had passed away, and a not very close cousin had gone to a medium while on holidays, a year or two later. He said that he'd been waiting for her, and had a message to give to me. He described my sister, her hobbies, what had happened to her, and to tell me she was happy now.

Bizarre stuff. Couldn't figure it out. I assumed he could have 1) read our local newspaper, 2) guessed or 3) the story was embellished somewhat. My cousin hadn't even mentioned her, since she was there for something else entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

nummnutts wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be smart, but as opposed to which qualified and tested people?

ha yeah, there are "qualified" mediums? do they have a phd in bullsh1t?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

krudler wrote: »
    nummnutts wrote: »

ha yeah, there are "qualified" mediums? do they have a phd in bullsh1t?
    Krudler, dial it back a tad.

Final warning to play nicely please folks.

Maple

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Sharrow wrote: »
    If you are interested in learning more then I suggest you read up on Jung and his work
    Man and His Symbols http://www.amazon.com/Man-Symbols-Carl-Gustav-Jung/dp/0440351839

Thanks, but I'm just trying to see the link between that and Tarrot cards? Paintings, photos, movies, books can all contain symbolism but they're not trying to predict my future.

It's one thing to try and interpret a dream you had last night and another to go and give money to some randomer to have random cards with pictures on them dealt out in front of you and be told that they mean this that and the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Tarot cards have a long history and are rich in symbolism and fair enough if a person thinks they are utter hokum no one is forcing you to get a reading done.

Just because a fraudulent practice isn't forced on someone does that make it ok?

The tarot card readers cover their asses by branding it as "entertainment" but it still exploits vulnerable people IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Amy33

I went to one in Galway a fortnight ago, the first thing she said was that I was going to get married and have two children - I'm 35, single, don't believe in marriage and don't want children, she couldn't have got it more wrong!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Amy33 wrote: »
    I went to one in Galway a fortnight ago, the first thing she said was that I was going to get married and have two children - I'm 35, single, don't believe in marriage and don't want children, she couldn't have got it more wrong!!

Well Amy, what did you expect? Don't take me up wrong but somewhere deep down you know it's a scam, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I don't think they're real, at least I hope not!
    A family member went to one recently and she was told that next year, a close relation beginning with C will fall pregnant... guess who's the only close relation with a name beginning with C!
    It's unlikely because I only see my boyfriend twice (maybe 3 times) a year and every time, I'm on the Pill and he uses condoms. I hope not because I'm only 17 and in my first year of uni :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭sasser

I don't believe in them. What I find curious is that I always hear of women going to them, many waiting to be told some magic news about meeting a man orgetting marrying, or having a baby. Some going so often it's sprung. I never hear men going on about them, and none of my male friends have gone, I wonder what that says about the differences between the sexes?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I am big into believing in horoscopes but wouldn't really believe tarot reader mediums unless recommended by someone.

doovdela wrote: »
    I am big into believing in horoscopes but wouldn't really believe tarot reader mediums unless recommended by someone.
    Oh dear jesus don't get me started on horoscopes. How anyone can take that nonsense seriously is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Yes, yes the same way people are deluded about God/s. :rolleyes:

Yes. Exactly.

And I said the so-called practitioners were deluded, but to be honest, believing that coloured bits of paper predict or explain anything, rich in symbolism as they might be is, in my humble opinion, irrational, illogical, unproven, ill-advised, and naive.

I believe psychics, mediums, et al are either deluded or fraudulent. Other people are welcome to believe whatever they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Although I would like them to be real, I don't believe in pre-destined fated, so no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

I used to read the cards. My mother bought me a deck when I was fairly young, she did it mostly I feel because she just wanted someone to give her a reading..and she often spent large quantities giving her money over to more unscrupulous people. Outside of how these readings transpired I found myself like a counsellor to her and the cards my props, the pictures were just enough for me to draw a message of encouragement from.

I spent a few years preoccupying myself with the learning and memorising of the suits, I even drew my own as a way of ingraining the subject to memory. I never gave a "bad" reading, I wanted to make her happy and it was easy to interpret any card as a positive which I always did.
    One day a neighbour saw my cards and asked did I read, I told her I did but only as a hobby but sure enough she requested a draw and one of the cards "could have" suggested a death but not in the immediate family way but that someone she might have known indirectly. I wasn't used to looking at the cards that way and hesitated in saying as much but I thought wth ..and said it..not thinking anything of it.
    A couple of days later there was a death and I knew the person it had affected too. It still bothers me to talk about it as it impacts me as much now as it did then, because of the nature of it and I swore I would never so much as look at a deck of cards again.
    I threw them on the fire and never looked back.

(I know you will say "coincidence" or whatever needs to be said to rationalise these kind of situations but the truth is I would never choose to be in a position of being the one who reveal any kind of information that could possibly affect someone negatively, coincidence or not)

I bought my mother angel cards and she was able to pick one herself when she sought some positive inspiration..much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I used to read Tarot Cards when I was a teen- nothing special, picked up a book and card set in easons one day and worked away (not very mystical). Entertained me for a few years. I think I did it more cause it seemed a cool thing to be able to do, but I don't think I ever really believed in it. Haven't touched it in years and no intention to.

Never went to a professional reader though, always seemed like a waste of money when my €7 book told me everything they'd say.

As for psychics, yeah I believe there's a skill involved but no more than tuned intuition- knowing how someones feeling by how they walk/enter a room etc and using that to talk to them. I don't believe they're conversing with our dead relatives or seeing into our future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

I would believe that there are card readers/mediums who are genuine and possess the abilities to glimpse the future or contact someone who is dead.

We possess 5 senses which give all of us the ability to taste, to smell to hear,to see & to touch. Most of us will have read about or have heard mention of a sixth sense, this sixth sense is intuition. I believe that true psychics/mediums etc are in touch with their sixth sense. The more in touch with their sixth sense they are hence the better medium/psychic they make.

We give off an enormous range of emotions every day e.g. anger/hate/love/joy/sadness/despair/hope. We are constantly thinking or projecting what we wish to happen in our lives be it a better job, a relative to get better or a wish to find someone to love.

It is not inconceivable to me to believe that someone completely in tune with their sixth sense could pick up on this and make a somewhat accurate reading as to ones future life.

Of course there are hundreds of charlatans out there and unfortunately many unhappy people who will pay a lot of money to them. The ones that particularly annoy me are the premium psychic lines and text services that can really suck someone in.

That does not mean however that all people in this field are this way.

Babybuff wrote: »
    I used to read the cards. My mother bought me a deck when I was fairly young, she did it mostly I feel because she just wanted someone to give her a reading..and she often spent large quantities giving her money over to more unscrupulous people. Outside of how these readings transpired I found myself like a counsellor to her and the cards my props, the pictures were just enough for me to draw a message of encouragement from.

I spent a few years preoccupying myself with the learning and memorising of the suits, I even drew my own as a way of ingraining the subject to memory. I never gave a "bad" reading, I wanted to make her happy and it was easy to interpret any card as a positive which I always did.
    One day a neighbour saw my cards and asked did I read, I told her I did but only as a hobby but sure enough she requested a draw and one of the cards "could have" suggested a death but not in the immediate family way but that someone she might have known indirectly. I wasn't used to looking at the cards that way and hesitated in saying as much but I thought wth ..and said it..not thinking anything of it.
    A couple of days later there was a death and I knew the person it had affected too. It still bothers me to talk about it as it impacts me as much now as it did then, because of the nature of it and I swore I would never so much as look at a deck of cards again.
    I threw them on the fire and never looked back.

(I know you will say "coincidence" or whatever needs to be said to rationalise these kind of situations but the truth is I would never choose to be in a position of being the one who reveal any kind of information that could possibly affect someone negatively, coincidence or not)

I bought my mother angel cards and she was able to pick one herself when she sought some positive inspiration..much better.

But when you think about it hardly a week goes by without the death of someone you've known indirectly in your life. Especially as you get older. If someone told me that there was going to be a death every fortnight for the past year then the majority of times they'd be right. That's not the cards predicting anything it's just the cards saying something obvious and the person being more aware of the death then when it happens.

• Advertisement

But when you think about it hardly a week goes by without the death of someone you've known indirectly in your life. Especially as you get older. If someone told me that there was going to be a death every fortnight for the past year then the majority of times they'd be right. That's not the cards predicting anything it's just the cards saying something obvious and the person being more aware of the death then when it happens.
    really? I haven't been to a funeral in about 6 years, nor do I know anybody personally that has passed away in at least 2.

really? I haven't been to a funeral in about 6 years, nor do I know anybody personally that has passed away in at least 2.

The key word is 'indirectly'.

If someone gets a 'death' prediction and then a friend of a friend or a very distant relation dies then "the prediction came true!".

The key word is 'indirectly'.

If someone gets a 'death' prediction and then a friend of a friend or a very distant relation dies then "the prediction came true!".
    /runs around padded room wearing a tutu

(it was someone they knew personally, it just wasn't an immediate family member but someone who's death did affect them in a personal way, affected a lot of us actually)

(it was someone they knew personally, it just wasn't an immediate family member but someone who's death did affect them in a personal way, affected a lot of us actually)

My point is that if anyone that they knew even vaguely had died within the next fortnight/month then it would have been seen as 'the cards predicted it'. It just so happens that in this case it unforuntately was someone close to them.

In your original reading did the cards not say that it was someone they might have known 'indirectly'. If the person who died was actually someone they knew quite well does that not point to the cards actually being wrong?

Yeah I hear you..still doesn't take away from how it affected me though. Probably for the best all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Oh dear jesus don't get me started on horoscopes. How anyone can take that nonsense seriously is beyond me.

A friend of mine used to work for a newpaper and whoever didnt have much to do at the end of a day made up the horoscopes, they used to have them repeated for the same signs weeks later and all. just used nonsense like " luck brings a red door" "someone somewhere you know will do something today" absolute twaddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

For me, psychics/mediums,etc fall into two categories. Firstly, those who believe they are gifted and who are naturally good at cold reading. They tend to be harmless enough. I may not think people should spend money on them but it's their own business.

Then, there are the con-artists. Those who do harm and take advantage of the bereaved. They make me angry. People like Sylvia Browne, who has an obscene amount of success in the states and makes a good living from this but who is obviously just this woman with no morals who ends up hurting grieving families or giving them false hope if a loved one is missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 fuglywugly

For me, having a belief in tarot cards and mediums tells me a lot about where i am in my life.

When i was younger and didnt know what i wanted i felt the need the know where things were going so i had my cards read and while some of it i felt applied to me a lot of it didnt, the baby boy i was supposed to have arrived 7 years later and turned out to be a girl!

When i lost my father after a long illness i was distraught, i thought that going to see a medium would help, that they could tell me everything would be ok and that he was happy and at peace and you know what thats exactly what they told me!. I spoke for the first 20 minutes about him and about his illness and basically gave her all the information that she repeated back to me only using different ways of saying it, and although i knew afterwards what had happened i tried to believe because i wanted to believe. I wanted to think that i had been talking to him again.

An old friend of mine passed away a few months ago and again i feel the need for some closure and the thought of seeing a medium did cross my mind the odd time when i was feeling low, but thats exactly why, because i was feeling low and vulnerable, what could a medim tell me about her?? that shes happy now?? that shes a peace??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

krudler wrote: »
    A friend of mine used to work for a newpaper and whoever didnt have much to do at the end of a day made up the horoscopes, they used to have them repeated for the same signs weeks later and all. just used nonsense like " luck brings a red door" "someone somewhere you know will do something today" absolute twaddle.

Yes what gets posted in newspapers as horrorscopes for the most part if twaddle and maskerades as being related to people's sun signs.

Actual astrology is more complex. It's something I am sort of still on the fence about but have had enough interesting experiences esp around mercury retrograde to keep me reading, making note of what planets are in what houses and writing down my observations.

• Advertisement

Actual astrology is more complex.

Must...resist....facepalm.......face.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement