Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade and Retro Podcast

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well the last one we recorded was a street fighter podcast with Doom who does a lot of video recording for the street fighter scene in Ireland and he was very interested in doing some video stuff. We'll see what we can do and if he is still up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Definitely, it'd make them instantly better. Remember the James Rolfe video where he's talking about his memories of playing Contra as a kid, & it just had shots & clips of the levels etc he was taking about? Something like that would be brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Didn't someone already do a clip a few pages backusing contra? I'm on my phone bit lazy to check

It was Steve s i, few pages back

Sera wrote: »
    Didn't someone already do a clip a few pages backusing contra? I'm on my phone bit lazy to check

Ah possibly, I didn't mean yous should do a Contra one, more like the style Rolfe made the video with some casual talking coupled with vids of the levels he was talking about.

You's already have the talking part nailed, some video of the subject matter would do wonders more for the final edit

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »

Ah possibly, I didn't mean yous should do a Contra one, more like the style Rolfe made the video with some casual talking coupled with vids of the levels he was talking about.

You's already have the talking part nailed, some video of the subject matter would do wonders more for the final edit
    Just saying it's there if you didn't see it, it's been talked abouta few times, just need someone with the time to help really

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The problem is capturing the footage requires equipment I don't have. I can capture from composite but I long since threw away the composite cables on my consoles. It's really difficult to find capture hardware for RGB and upwards. Also it takes a lot of space, something I don't have on my hard drive. Also there's movie editing which I've no experience of. I think our only chance really is getting Doom to help out on a few once offs. I could try recording small ones on emulators and trying it out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The problem is capturing the footage requires equipment I don't have. I can capture from composite but I long since threw away the composite cables on my consoles. It's really difficult to find capture hardware for RGB and upwards. Also it takes a lot of space, something I don't have on my hard drive. Also there's movie editing which I've no experience of. I think our only chance really is getting Doom to help out on a few once offs. I could try recording small ones on emulators and trying it out.
    If its any use im happy to strip the audio and repackage any of the footage from my channel .I use an old vcr as a sort of stepdown between my sh1tty easycap and the rgb cables(and a stepup from rf). It works with some consoles but not others, which is where emulator + camstudio is your friend . Its basic but windows movie maker is handy in a pinch for editing and compressing for upload, its also free:).

For the sake of a podcast video, just use emulation in conjunction with save states etc. Most of the emu's have recording functions & nobody here is gonna say anything because of the use of emulation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

For the sake of a podcast video, just use emulation in conjunction with save states etc. Most of the emu's have recording functions & nobody here is gonna say anything because of the use of emulation :)

Yes, nobody has to spend hours doing gameplay with capture devices. You'd only be showing how a game looks or how it plays so some longplays (with a "thanks to longplay" message or something) would be fine and then maybe some captured play on an emulator if you wanted to highlight a certain level or some other quirk in a game.
    It doesn't have to be hard or complicated at all. Perhaps use an older podcast and do a bit of video for it to see how it might work? I'd help out putting the video together once I know what you want to appear at on-screen at a particular time during playback.

I think a bit of video will also increase the viewers dramatically if its up on itunes like the normal podcast. A retro podcast, with video! I'd download it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Don't know if podcast video are that popular ? I consume a good deal of retro podcasts a work while driving etc purely because they are audio only.
    The podcasts ye guys do, is there an rss feed for them or manually download the mp3's ?

Don't know if podcast video are that popular ? I consume a good deal of retro podcasts a work while driving etc purely because they are audio only.
    The podcasts ye guys do, is there an rss feed for them or manually download the mp3's ?

Depending on the category they can be pretty darn popular. A lot of video podcasts are basically tv shows these days and I do grab a few photography ones and a few other bits and pieces on the iPad and computer to watch.

Well the video should only ever compliment the audio, the audio wouldn't depend on it, it'd merely be an enhancement so it could expand your audience, while retaining your existing one

Well the video should only ever compliment the audio, the audio wouldn't depend on it, it'd merely be an enhancement so it could expand your audience, while retaining your existing one

Well, said sir. The podcast would be enhanced by the video but the most important part would still be what the guys do in the studio with the audio.

I'll see about emulation, it's just that a lot of games we talk about aren't emulatable.

Not sure about rss feed but the podcasts are all downloadable as MP3's

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Only seeing this now.

I'm more than willing to help out and do some recording, to be honest I do it so much it's no real effort. I'm not great with editing, generally I just edit live on the fly with xsplit.

Ironically, composite is the one I can't do (I have a composite to component upscaler which I've never tested so I might...), I have equipment to record via svideo, VGA, component and HDMI. I also have all the equipment to add live commentary to them all. I know this isn't perfect for retro stuff but I am sure I could sort out something for the older formats.

The same program, Xsplit, is also a low cost way of recording gameplay on a computer, too.

To be honest I would probably keep the two parts seperate, have an audio only bit and them a complementary vodcast.

Here's a sample of the kind of stuff we do regularly with fighting games: Dont watch it all (unless you enjoy it) but notice the cam switching and stuff at 7:50. All easy to do on the fly.

I've also gotten better cams since then :)

To be honest I would probably keep the two parts seperate, have an audio only bit and them a complementary vodcast.

All sounds great, except for the above. I don't think the video should even be referenced in the audio, so if you were only listening to the audio, you wouldn't even miss the video stream.

The video stream should be basically eye candy, showing what the lads are talking about...but not specifically discussed, eg...there should't be something like:

"Here's the bit on the video now I was talking about...you can see..." etc

It should be just the discussion, with highly relevant video playing in front of the audio imo. I'll embed the Contra video again, just to show what I'm talking about

You could listen to that video purely audio only, & never know there was video playing. Yet the video enhances the whole thing tenfold

Horror Hotpot 2? I'm counting the days to Halloween

All sounds great, except for the above. I don't think the video should even be referenced in the audio, so if you were only listening to the audio, you wouldn't even miss the video stream.

The video stream should be basically eye candy, showing what the lads are talking about...but not specifically discussed, eg...there should't be something like:

"Here's the bit on the video now I was talking about...you can see..." etc

It should be just the discussion, with highly relevant video playing in front of the audio imo. I'll embed the Contra video again, just to show what I'm talking about

You could listen to that video purely audio only, & never know there was video playing. Yet the video enhances the whole thing tenfold

This what I meant when I brought up the whole Video Podcast thing.

Might as well throw it up here:
    DinoRex wrote: »

• Advertisement

Might as well throw it up here:
    still raging I forgot all about SF on GB, could have even brought it with me, absolute dope

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Good work. Were ye referencing King of Fighter 2002 when you were mentioning which KoF game Eolith got right? It's a weirdly enduring one, alright. I saw loads of cabs of it there recently, like 3 or 4 versus-Astros per arcade, occasionally interspersed with the original MvC or a Last Bronx cab. I like it, but I think it's lost on me, considering I'm playing it mostly on the DC, as it just kind of stinks of KoF '98: Part 2 to me. It's even got Rugal causing you more aneurysms.

When's the Sonic podcast going up? I hinted, in question-form.

Yep 2002 was the one Eolith got right. It is very like 98 but sure 98 was pretty great so not a bad game to base it on. 98 and 2002 still seem to be popular tournament fighters.

As for the Sonic one hopefully soon. It's down I just need to give it a listen to a write a blurb for it.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    When's the Sonic podcast going up? I hinted, in question-form.
    we're waiting on the first part of that podcast to be dropboxed and listened to so the summary can be written, I was there for the 2nd but by now I've forgotten most of it, will have to be dropboxed too and summarized as well, afaik that's all that's stopping it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

But you don't understand... if the Sonic podcast is ever released it will herald in the end times.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Great to hear this, perfect timing too for the big tournament this weekend, generating a bit of buzz with the competitive lads :)

Was a lot of fun, would do again!

95 downloads and 17 plays as well.

Currently listening, great stuff :)

Would like to do another Horror Hot Pot.

Maybe even record one live at the next meet up at halloween if we get a decent crowd.

• Advertisement

As much as I'm enjoying the Street Fighter one, & I am it's very fluid & on topic, I can't help but think how cool it would be to listen to it over a video stream with examples of all the different versions being talked about.

Prob take ages to edit, but it'd be v cool

Advertisement