Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Junior Club Semi Final

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Tombo2000 wrote: »
    So the players themselves are blameless then?

If the subs hadnt jumped the fence the ref would have sorted it out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

are there still people trying to justify why a load of subs and supporters who were in the stand, away from the field, en masse, jumped a barrier onto the field and started brawling? nothing, absolutly nothing, justifies them doing so.

and the person trying to say there is an anti northern bias? get over yourself with this persecution crap. I couldnt care less if they were from Wexford or Tyrone or wherever. What they did was totally and utterly wrong, and until clubs look inwards and the GAA takes immediate and proper actions, then these things are going to keep happening.

for what its worth to the poor northern folk who are being so harshly treated, have a look at the Corofin Connaught club final thread, where virtually the very same things are being said throughout the thread about the behaviour of people coming onto the field and starting rows.

Its not an excuse to go out and say, I saw worse before, or it happens everywhere. IT IS UNACCEPTABLE. thats it. there is no defending what the Derytresk supporters and subs did by coming onto the field of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

bruschi wrote: »
    are there still people trying to justify why a load of subs and supporters who were in the stand, away from the field, en masse, jumped a barrier onto the field and started brawling? nothing, absolutly nothing, justifies them doing so.

and the person trying to say there is an anti northern bias? get over yourself with this persecution crap. I couldnt care less if they were from Wexford or Tyrone or wherever. What they did was totally and utterly wrong, and until clubs look inwards and the GAA takes immediate and proper actions, then these things are going to keep happening.

for what its worth to the poor northern folk who are being so harshly treated, have a look at the Corofin Connaught club final thread, where virtually the very same things are being said throughout the thread about the behaviour of people coming onto the field and starting rows.

Its not an excuse to go out and say, I saw worse before, or it happens everywhere. IT IS UNACCEPTABLE. thats it. there is no defending what the Derytresk supporters and subs did by coming onto the field of play.

Hear, hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭citycentre

Why were the Non Players on the field?

Management and backroom team. They had every right to be there. Personally I think the numbers of such personell should be limited, especially on a pitch like at Portlaoise where the space between sideline and fence is pathetically inadequate.

bruschi wrote: »

Quit your misinformed nonsense about a load of "supporters" jumping the barrier. Nor did the Derrytresk players or subs "start" the brawl. The pitch invasion was by subs and backroom team and though rash and regrettable I think it was understandable in the heat of the moment when their own management team were being attacked by Dromid players right in front of them. It wasn't either teams finest hour but neither was it the SHOCK HORROR DISGRACE etc. etc. that everyone (especially the bad losers) is whining about.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

citycentre wrote: »
    Management and backroom team. They had every right to be there. Personally I think the numbers of such personell should be limited, especially on a pitch like at Portlaoise where the space between sideline and fence is pathetically inadequate.

Management and backroom team have no place on the feild what are you on about? There place is on the sideline

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Quit your misinformed nonsense about a load of "supporters" jumping the barrier. Nor did the Derrytresk players or subs "start" the brawl. The pitch invasion was by subs and backroom team and though rash and regrettable I think it was understandable in the heat of the moment when their own management team were being attacked by Dromid players right in front of them. It wasn't either teams finest hour but neither was it the SHOCK HORROR DISGRACE etc. etc. that everyone (especially the bad losers) is whining about.

I doubt very many of the people condemning the pitch incursion are Dromid supporters, so the bad loser tag is a bit silly. I've never even heard of Dromid before but after watching the video I can also say the guys who jumped the barrier should be suspended, there was NO excuse for that.
    I have prior experience of being kicked in the head by someone who came onto the field during a match against a Tyrone club, so watching that brought back a few memories - its disgusting behaviour and has no place on a GAA pitch, whatever county you're in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

more excuses, justifying the actions and again missing the whole point.

pretty much pointless in even trying to talk to someone who is so blinkered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

oh lord, and you have the cheek to accuse someone else of been misinformed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

The invasion of the pitch is unforgivable as is the whole incident but at 2/3 seconds in on the video it does look like the Dromid number 10 gave the Tyrone (think its number 4) a fairly hefty challenge after the whistle was gone. The Tyrone player is on the ground when the camera pans back and the Droimid number 4 is tussling with the clipboard guy. The tyrone player looks fairly young maybe that's why the guy with the clipboard felt the need to stand up for him but it all escalated way too quickly.

• Advertisement

lala88 wrote: »
    Management and backroom team have no place on the feild what are you on about? There place is on the sideline
    oh lord, and you have the cheek to accuse someone else of been misinformed :rolleyes:

Misinformed is claiming that these people were "on the pitch" before the melee started. They were on the sideline when they were attacked by the dromid players. But wait, don't let facts get in the way of your hysterical ranting...

Zzippy wrote: »
    I doubt very many of the people condemning the pitch incursion are Dromid supporters, so the bad loser tag is a bit silly. I've never even heard of Dromid before but after watching the video I can also say the guys who jumped the barrier should be suspended, there was NO excuse for that.
    I have prior experience of being kicked in the head by someone who came onto the field during a match against a Tyrone club, so watching that brought back a few memories - its disgusting behaviour and has no place on a GAA pitch, whatever county you're in.

I am from Tipp and actually my own club was beaten by Dromid in the Munster Final so certainly have no great gra for the Kerry boys, the bad looser tag is a pathetic attempt to deflect the shamefull scenes, as a result of the video at least 8 players deserve bans, from both sides mind you, and the Derrytresk club should be asked to identify the non players who encroached the field and let the Gardai deal with them, if they fail to provide this info then no AI final for them.

Misinformed is claiming that these people were "on the pitch" before the melee started. They were not, they were on the sideline as is their right. Keep on rollin all you want!

The Derrytresk stats man was on the field, and it is not their right to on the sideline, examine the rules of the GAA and come back to me :rolleyes:

The Derrytresk stats man was on the field, and it is not their right to on the sideline, examine the rules of the GAA and come back to me :rolleyes:

Tell me, how do you know he was their stats man and how can you claim he was "on the field" when he was charged into? I know categorically that he wasnt. Correct me if I'm wrong but the last rule change with regard to this allows Six to Eight "officials" from each team on the sidelines. Personally I think it's far too many anyway but there you have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

No they dont, they have to remain seated on the bench. Only a few selected mentors from each team are allowed to walk along the side line.

Management and backroom team or not, you dont run onto the field at the first sign of a fight. the subs were falling over themselves to get onto the pitch. The more people that get involved make the whole situation harder for the officials to keep under control.

No they dont, they have to remain seated on the bench. Only a few selected mentors from each team are allowed to walk along the side line.

Management and backroom team or not, you dont run onto the field at the first sign of a fight. the subs were falling over themselves to get onto the pitch. The more people that get involved make the whole situation harder for the officials to keep under control.

What bench? Have you ever been to O'Moore Park? The sideline setup is pathetic...

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

"I have to hold my hand up and say they were the better team.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/news/disgusted-dromid-left-seething-181128.html#ixzz1kOjWK6Lb

IMO despite a few posters on here thinking otherwise Dromid are not crying over the RESULT they are upset over the behaviour that they felt was meted out to them and premeditated. The brawl as it was started as a scuffle that happens in countless games up and down the country and would quickly have died down except for the reaction of the Derrytresk subs that invaded the pitch so quickly , surely they all have to have some degree of self control ? I,m not saying Dromid players were faultless but anyone who watches the footage and can,t condemn the behaviour of mainly Derrytresk subs and mentors and it seems from reports supporters is quite frankly an idiot. Also a number of comments are being made about an anti Tyrone bias particularly from Kerry supporters , the fact is that the number of violent incidents involving Tyrone clubs and supporters recently has become an issue plain and simple and it has to be seen as a problem in Tyrone. Violence like that seen Sunday in un acceptable in ~ANY~ county and surely it has got to the stage where a REAL example has to be made and unfortunately from their point of view this example should start with Derrytresk. I also agree that Dromid players should be fully reprimanded for any part they played in events but from all reports from NEUTRAL sources theirs was the minor part! Come on lads grabbing guys testicles pre game!!! allegedly I know before anyone over reacts!

I'm counting sore losers from Donegal, Tipperary, Wexford, Cork, Down, Kerry and Dublin on this thread so far (at least).

For a village of a couple of hundred people Dromid fans really have infested everywhere :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

there is more than just that clip, other incidents are also needing attention here.

boards seems to be some place for placing the sore losers tag, you cant mention something and your a sore loser. generally though, when teams have a complaint that is genuine, most neutrals are able to agree.

this is shocking from the tyrone lads and is another sad day for the gaa.

The citycentre guy is the only guy tossing out the sore loser line in fairness and he was clearly in the Derrytresk camp.

It's embarrassing that tribal loyalties can blind people as badly as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭max 73

There should be serious sanctions, by sanctions I mean club suspension, player suspensions, heavy fines & dumped out of competition.

But as usual the issue will be fudged & appealed under all sorts of articles.

The association needs to grow a pair and show that this behaviour will not be tolerated - a tough desicion now (its not a tough desicion as far as I'm concerned but it is fir the gaa)will lead to easier management of incidents such as this and maybe stamp it out

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Any supporters that come onto a pitch should never set foot on any GAA pitch again.

Far severe punishments need to be taken.

It's time the GAA got their act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The result of the match isnt an issue imo,Its just not right to have subs and supporters jumping in and attacking players,no matter what has happened on the field of play this should not happen and if you have a view that its ok for people to do it then you should really stop going to GAA matches.

Derrystrek go on to the final but I really hope the subs and supporters that jumped the fence wont be there to see it,ban them,these kinda of fellas dont deserve to be in Croke Park or any GAA pitch for that matter

Yes im from Kerry and we are no angels either down here,ive been to plenty of matches where incidents have happened both in Football and Hurling,I can remember a few years back a ref gettin attacked leaving the pitch after a County Hurling Semi Final,the fellas that attacked him,one fella got banned for life and the players involved got 96 week suspensions and the club was fined as well.

So its up to the Croke Park boys to sit down and look at it,ban those that did wrong ban some of them for life,and take a look at the stewarding for big club games like this,I can only see two stewards in the video clip,one comes on to the field while the other one stays in the stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Any supporters that come onto a pitch should never set foot on any GAA pitch again.

Far severe punishments need to be taken.

It's time the GAA got their act together.
    Well said. I didn't read today's Irish Independent but according to Newstalk radio this morning columnist Eugene Magee lashed the GAA about the problems with on field brawls that has been going on for years but they turn a blind eye to it. The GAA have to take a serious look at themselves and admit they have contributed to the problem because of lack of punishment to teams on previous brawls.

This is a widespread problem and not just a Tyrone thing to be fair. The 2010 North Kerry senior football final which was played in January 2011 made the headlines in the Irish Examiner for the wrong reasons. There has been a few games in my own county Cork down through the years that have had to be abandoned in their time due to brawls. Anyone who thinks this is a Tyrone problem only are living in cloud cuckoo land. High time that the GAA woke up and realise this needs to be sorted ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

dartbhoy wrote: »
    Well said. I didn't read today's Irish Independent but according to Newstalk radio this morning columnist Eugene Magee lashed the GAA about the problems with on field brawls that has been going on for years but they turn a blind eye to it. The GAA have to take a serious look at themselves and admit they have contributed to the problem because of lack of punishment to teams on previous brawls.

This is a widespread problem and not just a Tyrone thing to be fair. The 2010 North Kerry senior football final which was played in January 2011 made the headlines in the Irish Examiner for the wrong reasons. There has been a few games in my own county Cork down through the years that have had to be abandoned in their time due to brawls. Anyone who thinks this is a Tyrone problem only are living in cloud cuckoo land. High time that the GAA woke up and realise this needs to be sorted ASAP.

No doubt it's a problem everywhere although things seems to be coming to a head recently. You sense it won't be long until some club is chucked out of a competion entirely for an incident like this. And it might have to be more than one until clubs begin to cop onto themselves discipline wise.

No doubt it's a problem everywhere although things seems to be coming to a head recently. You sense it won't be long until some club is chucked out of a competion entirely for an incident like this. And it might have to be more than one until clubs begin to cop onto themselves discipline wise.
    I'm just after coming off facebook there and a friend of mine from a nearby town Kanturk who lost to Dromid in the Munster semi final went to Portlaoise on Sunday and said on his profile that he was so shocked at the intimidation of a number of the Tyrone team's supporters that he left before the end of the game missing the Intermediate semi final game as a result. He also added that a number of genuine Derrytresk supporters approached these aggressive fans and asked them to calm down but were verbally abused. Sad carry on in the GAA in the 21st century.

keane2097 wrote: »
    The citycentre guy is the only guy tossing out the sore loser line in fairness and he was clearly in the Derrytresk camp.

It's embarrassing that tribal loyalties can blind people as badly as that.

Clearly eh? Once again the oracle speaks...

Whats embarassing is the over the top reactions of so many know it alls like yourself. Based on one video clip which shows a fairly innocuous looking brawl with subs on the bench regrettably joining in (for which I'm sure they will be punished), a sour grapes match report from the Examiner, a series of ever more hysterical and over the top callers to Joe Duffy on liveline spouting exaggerations and outright lies about the incidents (wheres the female physio in the clip?), a few one sided press releases and interviews - the funniest and most shameful being from the Dromid manager who came across as a total drama queen complaining about his poor players nuts being felt - and vowing never to go to another match again etc. then a load of bandwagon jumpers in the media using the assembled "evidence" to drag the name of a small community through the mud. Follow this with the inevitable armchair warriors pontificating and wringing their hands in disgust without even trying to get a balanced perspective.

All this despite the clear evidence on the released video and from the disgraceful card tally that Dromid were in the business of provoking the opposition, were persistent foulers and are clearly not averse to a bit of whinging and moaning when things don't go their way. Lets not forget also that they were happy to bull in fists swinging at a bloody sideline official!! Their media whoring, calls for disqualification of the other side and general lack of any sort of manliness (for want of a better word) about the whole situation disgusts me far more than the "handbags" I saw in that video.

Its all irrelevant anyway, sure Clonbur will thrash either team in the final - Derrytresk because they probably won't have any subs on the day and Dromid, well sure they come across as being nothing but a pack of old women! :p

Clearly eh? Once again the oracle speaks...

Whats embarassing is the over the top reactions of so many know it alls like yourself. Based on one video clip which shows a fairly innocuous looking brawl with subs on the bench regrettably joining in (for which I'm sure they will be punished), a sour grapes match report from the Examiner, a series of ever more hysterical and over the top callers to Joe Duffy on liveline spouting exaggerations and outright lies about the incidents (wheres the female physio in the clip?), a few one sided press releases and interviews - the funniest and most shameful being from the Dromid manager who came across as a total drama queen complaining about his poor players nuts being felt - and vowing never to go to another match again etc. then a load of bandwagon jumpers in the media using the assembled "evidence" to drag the name of a small community through the mud. Follow this with the inevitable armchair warriors pontificating and wringing their hands in disgust without even trying to get a balanced perspective.

All this despite the clear evidence on the released video and from the disgraceful card tally that Dromid were in the business of provoking the opposition, were persistent foulers and are clearly not averse to a bit of whinging and moaning when things don't go their way. Lets not forget also that they were happy to bull in fists swinging at a bloody sideline official!! Their media whoring, calls for disqualification of the other side and general lack of any sort of manliness (for want of a better word) about the whole situation disgusts me far more than the "handbags" I saw in that video.

Its all irrelevant anyway, sure Clonbur will thrash either team in the final - Derrytresk because they probably won't have any subs on the day and Dromid, well sure they come across as being nothing but a pack of old women! :p

I'm embarrassed for you.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'm embarrassed for you.

Really, Im honoured... Great to have someone who knows so much have feelings for me!

• Advertisement

It'll be interesting to see what will come out of the Investigation to this brawl. While there's no doubt Derrytresk will be the centre of attention some Dromid players will be in bother also. My main hope is that the GAA will study this incident and set out new rules and regulations for the future regarding brawls of this nature. As for calls for Derrytresk to be thrown out of the All Ireland I don't think there's any rules in the Association at present that will allow for that to happen.

Advertisement