Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate jobs in the civil service (AO)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭anbodhran

evelyn23 wrote: »
    I got an interview for Mon 11th June also at 11.50, im actually out of the country, typical!! Back that night, wonder what are the chances of rescheduling to the Tuesday? Will give it a try :eek:

I'm on directly before you I'd say! By the sounds of that it'll be a straight interview rather than a group interview.

Says on the email that there is no room to reschedule? Worth a try I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 evelyn23

ya no mention of a presentation either :)
    ya saw that but they also said that about the assessment day and people changed days. Might be bit different at this stage though, will ring anyway and hope for the best!

evelyn23 wrote: »
    ya no mention of a presentation either :)
    ya saw that but they also said that about the assessment day and people changed days. Might be bit different at this stage though, will ring anyway and hope for the best!

Yeah you wouldn't know. Best of luck.

Actually if you're ringing them, will you ask them if it is the final stage of the process or what? Just reading the email again and it's rather vague.

maxol wrote: »
    Got it! Jese not much notice considering the bank holiday!! Fairly sure I have all that paperwork somewhere..where is the question!!

Yeah says 34 being interviewed.

Mine had no mention of numbers? Are we getting individual emails or what I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Irish.sherpa

The results of the Tax Policy are out.

31 out of 77 applicants have advanced to the next stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

raffles wrote: »

Well done to those !
    I guess that means they won't be going further down the list :(

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CavanGal

raffles wrote: »

Yeah got my rejection email. :mad: Only the law category left now.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 evey3624

I have been called for an HR interview on Thursday 7th of June so I have even less notice:eek: Does anyone know what to expect from the interview?

Have any of the previous disciplines have any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 evelyn23

anbodhran wrote: »
    Yeah you wouldn't know. Best of luck.

Actually if you're ringing them, will you ask them if it is the final stage of the process or what? Just reading the email again and it's rather vague.

They changed it for me woohoo!!

I didn't actually see your message before I rang so didn't ask sorry!
    Id be under the impression this is the last stage of the competition though, the girl said there is 5 days of interviews, so 7 people each day.
    The girl (Fiona) was really helpful so maybe give her a ring if you need her to clarify anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,197 ✭✭✭✭noodler

After interviews:

There was a yay or nay

Then fill in Garda Vet form, health form and send in references from previous employers.

Then it was reference from current employer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Anyone have any info on the Law Campaign?

I emailed and was told they should be issuing the next stage of app forms within the next few weeks.

Anyone have any rough idea of how many people they're likely to be hiring for this one? I'd imagine it will be less than the other sub-campaigns unfortunately.

Was ranked no 31 after the aptitude test but no holding out much hope. My qualifications are strong but experience is very limited :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lord_lucan

noodler wrote: »
    After interviews:

Then it was reference from current employer.

How long after initial forms (Garda Vet, previous employers) were sent back did they ask for references from current employers.
    Did everyone who got sent the first form get sent the second or was it only the first x number. And once current employers gave references did they offer jobs soonafter or has anyone yet to be offered a position in either of the two initial sub-campaigns (Economics, Finance/Banking).
    If so how far down the panel did they go in either and is that it as regards numbers or will they likely go further down the list over the next few months.

phoenix999 wrote: »

Seems to me they got the wages wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tricky@

noodler wrote: »
    Seems to me they got the wages wrong!

Payscale quoted in that article are the January 2010 payscales after the December 2009 budget paycuts. Side issue really but if you are an existing civil servant and you are recruited under this competition it is my understanding that your pay would be calculated under the payscale quoted in the article, and not the €29k scale that would apply to anyone not already an existing civil servant. This is because the 29k scale is representative of the additional 10% cut to payscales that is applicable for new entrants to the civil service.

From http://hr.per.gov.ie/promotion-in-the-civil-service/

"Civil Servants recruited from external competitions under Public Appointments Service (PAS) are entitled to the more favourable of the following:

The minimum point of the new scale.
    Pay equivalent to their existing pay including any accrued increment."

:( http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/0604/1224317208455.html

Eeeek, this isn't very positive is it?! 17 for Economics and a remaining 15 then across the other sub-campaigns? That's my understanding of reading it anyway so there may only be 2/3 positions realistically for Law for example.

12 across other areas I should have said....even worse!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

dashdoll wrote: »

Eeeek, this isn't very positive is it?! 17 for Economics and a remaining 15 then across the other sub-campaigns? That's my understanding of reading it anyway so there may only be 2/3 positions realistically for Law for example.

Seems a very expensive process to hire such a low amount of people

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nehemiah

dashdoll wrote: »

That is only the number of positions available in the Department of Public Expenditure and Law Reform I believe. That article also seems to be based on Deputy Howlin's answer to the PQ last week that is previously linked to in this thread.

For example, the article doesn't mention the new HR Department being set up so I don't think that there are only 29 positions altogether. I'm not sure how many Law positions there will be but I expect that there will be more than 2/3 and I expect that they won't be in Deputy Howlin's Department.

I am pretty sure its 17 economists for DoPER and then 15 economists for the other departments.

• Advertisement

nehemiah wrote: »
    That is only the number of positions available in the Department of Public Expenditure and Law Reform I believe. That article also seems to be based on Deputy Howlin's answer to the PQ last week that is previously linked to in this thread.

For example, the article doesn't mention the new HR Department being set up so I don't think that there are only 29 positions altogether. I'm not sure how many Law positions there will be but I expect that there will be more than 2/3 and I expect that they won't be in Deputy Howlin's Department.

That is how I read it also, but it took me a second read!

When I first saw the job advertisements posted way back, they were for the Department of Finance, before seemingly going towards a targeted campaign for the civil service a couple of weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭buttercup20

Revenue are looking for Administrative officers in ICT and audit compliance. Details on how to apply are on www.revenue.ie. Closing date is 4th July 2012.

Agree that 29 staff only relates to economists. An example of verbal reasoning I suppose:D
    Didn't realise that anyone had been offered jobs yet, nevermind starting a job already.
    Have the remaining 12 economists been told they have a job yet or are they still holding out like other sub-campaigns?
    Has anyone been offered jobs in the other divisions for which interviews have taken place (Banking/Finance, HR) as I gather initial forms were sent out to the first x Banking/Finance candidates on the panel about three weeks ago?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Revenue are looking for Administrative officers in ICT and audit compliance. Details on how to apply are on www.revenue.ie. Closing date is 4th July 2012.

Stupid question maybe but why are they not pulling from the pool of candidates that applied already? Tax was one of the sub campaigns!

For anyone doing the HR interviews this week just to let you know it was fine. I had mine last Thursday and all questions were competency based and were asked in relation to your experience as listed on the application form.

I was told they are interviewing for 2 weeks in total and that we should hear sometime after that if we are successful. They also said most positions are in HR Policy but that other depts may require people.

Best of luck to everyone!!

evey3624 wrote: »
    For anyone doing the HR interviews this week just to let you know it was fine. I had mine last Thursday and all questions were competency based and were asked in relation to your experience as listed on the application form.

I was told they are interviewing for 2 weeks in total and that we should hear sometime after that if we are successful. They also said most positions are in HR Policy but that other depts may require people.

Best of luck to everyone!!

Yeah pretty much the same experience I had. Seems as though we got off lightly compared to those who had to give presentations etc. Was in and out in 45 mins or so.

Said they should know by the end of the week what the panel is, and that jobs could appear quite quickly like with the economists.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Just wondering if anyone in the law sub-campaign has heard anything further?

I was told before I even started that it was only an half an hour slot!!! Don't know if I should be worried now :)

How did u feel it went?

I could not really read them that well.

evey3624 wrote: »
    I was told before I even started that it was only an half an hour slot!!! Don't know if I should be worried now :)

How did u feel it went?

I could not really read them that well.

Yeah I was told the same, but I probably babbled on a bit!

Hard to know. I'd say two of them were fairly enthused, but the external consultant was a bit cold and hard to read. I'm not sure how they score it. Like in private sector there is probably more decisions based on personality and whether the interviewer (who will probably be your boss) likes you. This might be a bit more rigid.

• Advertisement

Saw following today as parliamentary answer given by Minister for Finance Michael Noonan on June 6th. (However it was never outlined the expected number of recruits for his department as given by Brendan Howlin in a previous thread):

Since 1 March 2012, the following staff have been appointed to my Department:
    Grade Number of Staff Salary per annum
    Temporary Clerical Officer 4 €20,859 to €33,607
    (on a 1 year contract)
    AO Graduate Recruits 2 €29,922 to €58,294
    (1 Banking/Finance and 1 Economics)

Doesn't bode well for those on banking/finance short-list if only one person was recruited. I had assumed it would be around 10-12 given the supposed staff/skill shortages outlined by the Secretary General John Moran in his May public address/update of financial affairs.
    Recruitment seems slightly skewed towards economics if 29 are to be taken on as previously indicated.

Advertisement