Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible Irish SOPA Law? :/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Sent an email to every TD in the 31st dail and this is all I get back ... 1 email from Stephen Donnelly's secretary.

got the exact same one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

darokane wrote: »
    What is the date of the proposed legislation change?

By the end of January is what I've heard, no specific dates.

The wording has also yet to be released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Not only did they plan on allowing artists to keep 90% of their earnings on songs that they sold, they wanted to pay them for songs they let users download for free.

Would love to see what Willie Kavanagh has to say about that... "What? Pay musicians to give away their songs for free? You gotta be kidding me!" :D

Welcome to the real world... music industry!

Wouldn't surprise me if that story is true. Just goes to show how far the music industry has their hands down the US governments pants!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭December

got the exact same one

Same here... I suppose we can give them credit for setting up their mail filters and actually having an automatic response ready to deal with all the incoming emails. XD

As a note, the November ECJ ruling [PDF] was brought up earlier (and I brought it up in other threads) suggesting that this law would conflict with it and thus would be unenforceable. However the ECJ ruling was very specific and until the wording of this legislation is released we won't know if it's applicable or not.

The ECJ ruling specifically mentioned ISPs couldn't be forced to filter "indiscriminately to all its customers, as a preventive measure, exclusively at its expense, and for an unlimited period."

Presumably the wording of this law will avoid those conflicts.

Just thought I'd mention that.

December wrote: »
    Same here... I suppose we can give them credit for setting up their mail filters and actually having an automatic response ready to deal with all the incoming emails. XD
    I sent emails to every member of the oireachtas. I got NO replies apart from an automated responder last night from the office of James Reilly.
    I acknowledge receipt of your email. Your correspondence will be brought to the attention of Dr James Reilly T.D., Minister for Health and to the relevant officials in the Department of Health. If the content of your correspondence relates to the functions of another Minister's department, it will be brought to their attention for direct reply.
    Yours sincerely,
    Constituency Office of Dr James Reilly T.D., Minister for Health
    Unit 3, 1st Floor, Chamber Building
    North Street,
    Swords,
    Co. Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭dasdog

http://stopsopaireland.com/news

In today’s edition of the Irish Times, from journalist Elaine Edwards: An online petition against the Government’s plan to allow music publishers and other parties take internet service providers to court in a bid to prevent their customers accessing ‘pirate’ material has received over 7,800 signatures in less than a day...

That was at lunchtime today. Counter is showing 11,000 signatures now.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Tj McIntyre advises boards on occasion and is awesome. Listen to the man, he knows his sh!t. Top lawyer.

DeV.

dasdog wrote: »
    http://stopsopaireland.com/news

In today’s edition of the Irish Times, from journalist Elaine Edwards: An online petition against the Government’s plan to allow music publishers and other parties take internet service providers to court in a bid to prevent their customers accessing ‘pirate’ material has received over 7,800 signatures in less than a day...

That was at lunchtime today. Counter is showing 11,000 signatures now.

copypasta for FB statuses going around
    http://stopsopaireland.com/

While the exact wording has yet to be released early indicators suggest it will allow blanket filtering of websites deemed to be infringing copyrighted materials by lobbyist groups.

An extreme, but ultimately plausible, example could be blocking your access to Facebook or Youtube when someone you don't even know uploads copyrighted materials regardless if you viewed it or not. A less extreme example could be blocking whatever websites you stream or download TV shows and movies from (which, of course, you shouldn't be doing...)

It's also being introduced by means of Ministerial Order which prevents debate and voting on the matter. In other words Minister Sean Sherlock has decided to pass a law without allowing discussion or voting and without releasing exactly what the law will state (which prevents anyone from contacting their representatives to have their concerns addressed).

He claims it will be introduced by the end of the month.

You may have heard about Google, Wikipedia, Digg and other sites "going dark" last Wednesday. This was in protest of SOPA, a similar bill being discussed in the US congress. This, from what we can tell, is an Irish version. But at least SOPA is transparent and open to debate.

Click the link, sign the petition and tell that prick Minister Sean Sherlock to take his bill and shove it up his ass.

Articles on it:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0124/breaking32.html

http://blog.blacknight.com/say-no-to-an-irish-sopa-style-law-say-yes-to-democracy.html

http://www.tjmcintyre.com/2012/01/adrian-weckler-confims-that-irelands.html

http://www.tjmcintyre.com/2012/01/legal-case-against-irish-sopa.html

http://www.joe.ie/news-politics/current-affairs/new-vague-irish-copyright-laws-could-see-judges-block-facebook-or-youtube-0019903-1

http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/Home/News/Operators+reaffirm+objections+to+'Irish+SOPA'+law/19410615-5218-4f1d-6997-3184c7102979

lol@"tell that prick Minister Sean Sherlock to take his bill and shove it up his ass."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

• Advertisement

http://www.change.org/petitions/the-irish-governmentsean-sherlock-cease-plans-to-bring-in-legislation-which-is-similar-to-sopapipa

There's one of the petitions, I've been eschanging emails with the staff of change.org all morning and they are going to advertise this petition extensively over the next few days

I know there's other petitions too, Every little helps!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Would love to see what Willie Kavanagh has to say about that... "What? Pay musicians to give away their songs for free? You gotta be kidding me!" :D

Welcome to the real world... music industry!

Wouldn't surprise me if that story is true. Just goes to show how far the music industry has their hands down the US governments pants!
    That is exactly the business model for Radio and all non-subscription TV.

Buy in content and give it away for free.

For cinemas the business model is

Buy in content pray that ticket sales will cover the cost and try to recoup losses on sales of food.

Just wondering if product placement in song lyrics / association with ads would be enough to fund a large chunk of chart music ?

Buy in content pray that ticket sales will cover the cost and try to recoup losses on sales of food.

And advertising.

Fucking advertising...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

bealtine wrote: »
    A starting petition http://stopsopaireland.com/

Please sign

You should probably advertise it in a thread of its own for more attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

How am i only hearing about this now !! Not a word on the TV !

I've sign it the petition and will be emailing that list of TD's when i get home.

This is madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

it anyone whats that sig it's

sopaireland.jpg

I'll be making more once I get home to photoshop.

Edit: For some reason the full BB code won't post.. even inside code tags.

copy the URL of the image and add [ url=" link to stopsopaireland.com " ] [ img ] full image link [ / img] [ / url ] - take out all the spaces.

Just wondering if product placement in song lyrics / association with ads would be enough to fund a large chunk of chart music ?

Well according to kim dotcom the business model would work. It wouldn't surprise me if it did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Javan

For whatever it is worth, here is a copy of an email sent to Mr. Sherlock on the subject.

Hopefully a polite tone and a single question will get a reply with an interesting or useful answer.

Minister,

I listened with great interest to your interview on RTE's Drivetime program this afternoon regarding the plans to introduce a statutory instrument to clarify the ability of the court here to issue an injunction to prevent copyright infringement on the Internet. I think you made your points very clearly and with some detail and precision that was very good to hear.

However I would ask you to address one question that was not posed during that interview.

You made two points clearly and repeatedly during the interview: that the Irish courts must be empowered to issue injunctions to prevent copyright infringement, and that the 'Scarlet' ruling holds that ISPs and other intermediaries must not be asked to implement general monitoring of all traffic on their network in order to protect the copyright of the rights holder.
    Given these two points can you suggest what sort of injunction the court can issue against an ISP or other intermediary?

If you can provide an answer to that one question I think it will go a long way towards addressing the concerns of myself and other technology professionals who depend on the Internet for their jobs.

It is my fear, and I think a fear shared by many, that the court would be limited to ordering very blunt or crude injunctions that would effectively block entire websites for a single infringing document or file.

Other concerns include the fact that it is not clear that the website holder or copyright infringer would be a party to the proceedings. If they were informed of the problem they may be able to propose a simpler remedy such as removing the infringing file. It is also not clear how an injunction would be lifted or who could petition the court to have it lifted.

Regards,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So wait. One minister was working to make better conditions for game and software developers to setup their business in Ireland, so it would make more jobs and bigger income for Ireland, then this feck face cowboy comes in and tries this new law...

• Advertisement

Here are a few post from the anonymous Sweeden branch.
    AnonOpsSweden Anonymous Sweden

List of European MPE's and their stance (pro/con) towards #ACTA implementation j.mp/yFIkfz #NOtoACTA #anonymous #svpol

AnonOpsSweden

@GavMcG92 BROTHER, we heared u, tell ireland we are on our way!

AnonOpsSweden

@anonhive nah am more into ireland, izz time to wake em up

#Ireland goverment, congrats, u are now in the eye of #anonymous , #OpIreland is engaged due to your support of #sopa #acta EXPECT US!

#Ireland needs the internets help. Its own version of #SOPA is on the way bit.ly/xW8RAB #Anonymous heared u #OpIreland engaged

@AnonymousEire any #irish anons out there upset with ur soonish #sopa law?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Up to five years in prison for illegally downloading Micheal Jackson??!!!

Only Three years for killing him!!!!!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

shanered wrote: »

That's Bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

But its true!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

But its true!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

It's Off The Wall is what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Spaces

I'd put money on it being far easier for Anonymous to take down Irish government websites than the FBI website. Should be a funny day.

Of course, everyone will just shut up and accept it since FG will blame the recession on piracy.

And people will still vote them in next time ... sigh or knowing this country they will tax us for the privilege of being censored

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Spaces wrote: »
    And people will still vote them in next time ... sigh

um, no they won't. They'll probably vote for Fianna Fail again, which is as bad, if not worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Spaces

um, no they won't. They'll probably vote for Fianna Fail again, which is as bad, if not worse.
    Well they're all apples from the same tree ,FF , FG and LAB .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

'well, you have to hand it to those dolphins, they just wanted it more.'

- homer simpson on the takeover of springfield by dolphins, treehouse of horror xi, the simpsons.

we have to want this more, gentlemen. to protect the freedom of the people, y'all gotta play your parts. write letters, ring telephones. launch a goddamned war if we have to. i'd argue this could go against the fundamental pillars of human rights as laid out in the geneva convention!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jericho.

http://contact.ie/contact

This is a great site for mailing all TDs and Senators very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Kinda wrong...

5 years for uploading

4 years for involuntary manslaughter of him

And anyways, that's the US SOPA, which wasn't passed and is irrelevant to our own issues

• Advertisement

Spaces wrote: »
    Well they're all apples from the same tree ,FF , FG and LAB .

Funny enough, the greens are coming out great over this issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Anonymous Sweden (@AnonOpsSweden) has tweeted just 10 minutes ago:
    #irishSOPA #OpIreland is engaged,Expect us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I am watching Primetime I deliberately turned it on because I thought they would be covering this. But no.

Anonymous Sweden (@AnonOpsSweden) has tweeted just 10 minutes ago:
    YourAnonNews Anonymous

Ireland has angered the hive, we will be reporting all attacks through this account | #OpIreland #OpMegaUpload

Looks good.

Looks good.

In what mad world does that look good?
    DDoS, defacements or other illegal actions are not welcome. We are trying to stop bad laws, not break good ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

This'll be interesting!

Have Anon heard of https://www.householdcharge.ie/
    ;)

So what did sean sherlock say on drivetime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

So what did sean sherlock say on drivetime?

Does it matter? whatever he said didn't make people very happy and 1000s signed up at stopsopaireland.com. Looks like 1000s didn't believe a word he said.

Javan wrote: »
    DDoS

The distinction between a virtual sit-in and DDoS is arbitrary, the legal distinction even more-so.

Temporarily disrupting the operations of a website is the digital equivalent to a sit-in, which is a widely accepted form of protest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

mikom wrote: »

You beat me to it :D

I've already used the "Report Web Forgery" option under the "Help" menu in Firefox to flag householdcharge.ie as an attack site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,991 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

sean sherlock insist he must act based on judge charleton's judgement, well lets see his judgement on the number of people torrenting Aslan albums, is it 22,000? ...http://taint.org/2010/10/11/231501a.html

Seachmall wrote: »
    The distinction between a virtual sit-in and DDoS is arbitrary, the legal distinction even more-so.

Temporarily disrupting the operations of a website is the digital equivalent to a sit-in, which is a widely accepted form of protest.

That's as may be, but I find it very ironic that in response to a bad law that will take down websites that copyright holders don't like; we would consider taking down websites that we don't like.
    That leads to anarchy. In an anarchy whoever has the biggest guns wins and everyone else loses. I suspect we would not end with the biggest guns.

sean sherlock insist he must act based on judge charleton's judgement, well lets see his judgement on the number of people torrenting Aslan albums, is it 22,000? ...http://taint.org/2010/10/11/231501a.html
    .Previous sales of their albums were excellent, about 35,000 per album, and in respect of one called “Platinum Collection”, a three CD box set, 50,000 copies were sold. More recently, an album called “Uncased” was released and only 6,000 copies were sold.

Hardly because Aslans latest albums are shíte:p

bealtine wrote: »
    Does it matter? whatever he said didn't make people very happy and 1000s signed up at stopsopaireland.com. Looks like 1000s didn't believe a word he said.

Way to engage in the political process... :rolleyes:

To answer the Q: Sherlock did little more that repeat the two points I mentioned in my email earlier. He talked about the two cases that effectively set the upper and lower limit on the power of the court to impose injunctions on ISPs.
    That is; the court must have that power, and it must be less than asking the ISP to actively monitor all traffic.

Javan wrote: »
    That's as may be, but I find it very ironic that in response to a bad law that will take down websites that copyright holders don't like; we would consider taking down websites that we don't like.
    That leads to anarchy. In an anarchy whoever has the biggest guns wins and everyone else loses. I suspect we would not end with the biggest guns.

Those who are considering DDoSing are not doing so to indefinitely take the site off the internet but to do so temporarily in order to bring awareness to the injustices of the law.

It is a reaction to gain publicity for their cause. It's no more ironic than a union asking it's members not to attend work but to strike instead to bring notice on other members who were let-go.

It could also be argued that those who act to censor the internet should not be allowed on the internet in the same way a bully who prevents others from playing on the swings should himself not be allowed to play on the swings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

justice.ie is currently offline.

Seachmall wrote: »
    Those who are considering DDoSing are not doing so to indefinitely take the site off the internet but to do so temporarily in order to bring awareness to the injustices of the law.

It is a reaction to gain publicity for their cause. It's no more ironic than a union asking it's members not to attend work but to strike instead to bring notice on other members who were let-go.

It could also be argued that those who act to censor the internet should not be allowed on the internet in the same way a bully who prevents others from playing on the swings should himself not be allowed to play on the swings.

And exactly what law are you talking about? The one that is not written yet?

There is definitely a time and place in a democracy for civil disobedience and protest. I just think we should try and engage first.

Tell you what: If the text of the order is as bad as we expect it to be then I'll lead the protest march on the minister's office. I expect you to be right beside me. Until then I'll keep working on fixing the problem before it starts.

Deal?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Decryptor wrote: »
    Working fine for me

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Decryptor wrote: »
    Nope, can't get no justice, citizensinformation.ie was offline for me earlier too... and still seems to be offline.

Advertisement