Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Glorious Vincent Browne Idolatry Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Wibbs wrote: »
    I've a problem there when it was a private bank, now gone wallop. That's the issue, not a general banking crisis. That was Vinnies point.
    Again: Ireland is not the ECB's constituency. They are not our government. Their role is not to safeguard our welfare - that's the job of the Irish government. The ECB exists with one function in life: to maintain price stability and therefore to maintain the European banking system. That part is perfectly fair and reasonable. These guys are not supposed to be on 'our side'; nor was that Vincent Browne's point.
    NinjaK wrote: »
    I mean there is an anti-VB thread on here. When there are no anti-prime time or other right-wing RTE programmes being mentioned.
    :confused:

Are you reading the same thread title I'm reading?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I've been watching Vinnie's show for years. He can range from entertaining (and sometimes annoying )trolling to very serious questioning from show to show.

Yesterday was great because at least we got so see the faces of these troika guys as the bleeding obvious was pointed out to them by VB. We seen they clearly understood but decided not to answer.. they had no answer. We have no idea if Noonan or Kenny ever dared ask such questions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Did RTE manage to edit him out this time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dots03

I have to say I don't like the man but admit he is a competent self publicist and he keeps himself in the limelight by shouting at people every so often.

Unfortunately, shouting at people, especially politicians, never really gets you answers, but hey, it does ensure that people will keep talking about you.

As a result of Vincents shouting however, he becomes the story, and the 'actual' story is sort of diluted...which is not very good journalism to be honest.

Then again, he is more in the entertainment business these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

dots03 wrote: »
    I have to say I don't like the man but admit he is a competent self publicist and he keeps himself in the limelight by shouting at people every so often.

Unfortunately, shouting at people, especially politicians, never really gets you answers, but hey, it does ensure that people will keep talking about you.

As a result of Vincents shouting however, he becomes the story, and the 'actual' story is sort of diluted...which is not very good journalism to be honest.

Anyone got a linky to the show yesterday? Phone-friendly that is. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭emo72

dots03 wrote: »

Your doing him a disservice by saying he was shouting. He may have had an indignant tone, but he was calm. I dunno how you can claim he was self publicising yesterday. He was asking a question and at the very least will make a some more people question the lunacy of making those payments.

Some politicians will feel a lot more uneasy this morning.

I'm not a fan of him one way or another. But he did us a favour yesterday and i would like that to be acknowledged, and he doesn't deserve criticism for what he done yesterday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I like Vinny, we are blessed that his mag went to the wall & forced him to earn a bigger living.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

gypsy_rose wrote: »
    My friend said he saw him locked drunk on the bus recently..

On his way to do his nightly show ? Explains why he slurs his speech, regularly loses track of what he's on about, looks like he slept in his clothes, and has hair like that mad cúnt in Back to the Future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I love then man.

Back in the day the Official IRA wanted to have him assassinated but he didn't take any shite from them.

He didn't withdraw any of his criticisms of the Workers Party or it's links to organised crime and terrorism (mostly crime).

He's incredibly entertaining as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

In terms of current affairs, he might be on the ball, but I find him impossible to listen to, let alone look at. The shabby production at TV3 really doesn't help his cause either.

A superficial viewpoint? Perhaps - but TV is mostly about the optics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭anto2

Hes great .xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I keep reminding myself to stop watching him having a nervous breakdown every night on TV3.........but its compelling viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Wattle wrote: »
    I keep reminding myself to stop watching him having a nervous breakdown every night on TV3.........but its compelling viewing.

Ye swear he's having a multiple strokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Good journo but shocking presenter - can't string a sentence together and really rude. You can be a tough interviewer without the latter - look at Paxman. Saw VB on a train pissed and giving out shyte because there were no seats left. Seemed like an angry wino. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I have such mixed feelings about him. I'm glad that in the midst of a colourless and spineless media, we have someone who is willing to ask tough questions and who isn't afraid of those he is asking the questions of. He also has an obviously formidable intellect, and he'll at least get me asking questions of myself even if I don't agree with him.

On the other hand, I often think he prefers to nitpick and point score rather than address substantive issues. I also think he adopts a very populist tone at times and plays to the crowd by badgering politicians for yes/no answers, on what I'm sure he realises are complex questions that require complex answers. He'd make an excellent troll on boards, there would be uproar on some forums.

His politics also wouldn't be mine, I've no time for his shows full of unemployed whinging "community activists" looking for other peoples money to spend. Although in fairness he has destroyed Joe Higgins and the ULA crowd when they spouted their usual leftie nonsense on his show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

emo72 wrote: »
    Did us all a favour yesterday.

Indeed. A legend. The only one prepared to speak out for the unheard majority. While all the other wimps bend the knee to the Troika. You go Vincent!:D

later10 wrote: »
    The ECB exists with one function in life: to maintain price stability and therefore to maintain the European banking system offer preferential treatment and safeguards to failed, bankrupt, business entities at the expense of the Irish Taxpayer.

That about covers it.

In terms of current affairs, he might be on the ball, but I find him impossible to listen to, let alone look at. The shabby production at TV3 really doesn't help his cause either.

A superficial viewpoint? Perhaps - but TV is mostly about the optics.

In fairness I'm no fan of TV3. But when you see the disadvantage they are at compared with those cosseted, overfunded, overpaid, and underworked layabouts in Montrose they do quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I regard Vincent as a national treasure I love the above but there are loads of examples of him shredding politicians avoiding answering questions.

later10 wrote: »
    There is no answer. Vincent Browne couldn't have started that exchange expecting a reasonable and satisfactory answer because such a thing does not exist.

There is nothing wrong with the ECB trying to protect the financial stability of the EA and the EU. The banking system is their constituency, and not the Irish public. No problem there.

What is so offensive is the idea of the ECB dictating - outside of any Memorandum or formal agreement - Irish government policy on any issue, be that to do with the banks or be that to do with economic policy more broadly.

The ECB, if they were honest would say "look, our job is to ensure financial stability; we're not a democracy, we'll do what we can to ensure financial stability". But that is - or should be - completely unacceptable, and Vincent Browne is one of the very very few credible journalists in Ireland (Dan O'Brien, wtf) who is capable of demonstrating such a serious policy hazard.

Financial stability for European banks. At our expense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

He did very well against the Troika people, they didn't see him coming at all. Good on ya VB, much respect!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

flanzer wrote: »
    He made a complete tit of himself during the presidential campaign, lowering himself to a form of gutter journalism, but he completely redeemed himself yesterday in front of the Troika.

It's a pity he wasn't wearing camouflaged combat gear yesterday though

I think thats because he has balls and he calls it as he sees it, sometimes it works and sonetimes he ends up looking like a sap.

In fairness though with regard to yesterday, well said that man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Go Vincent. You're the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Did anyone see when his phone started ringing live on air and he didn't know how to silence it? Hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

fair play to him for asking the right questions, the smirk on Klaus Masuch face yesterday was an insult to the irish people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

flanzer wrote: »
    He made a complete tit of himself during the presidential campaign, lowering himself to a form of gutter journalism, but he completely redeemed himself yesterday in front of the Troika.

It's a pity he wasn't wearing camouflaged combat gear yesterday though

You mean like Kate Adie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

He's great, really like his show but it does depress.
    We need more VBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭IsaacWunder

gypsy_rose wrote: »
    My friend said he saw him locked drunk on the bus recently..

Unless Browne was driving the bus your friend had nothing to worry about.

orangebud wrote: »
    fair play to him for asking the right questions, the smirk on Klaus Masuch face yesterday was an insult to the irish people

It's a long time since I saw anyone look so smug and speak down to a populace the way he did. All the hallmarks of representing an organisation which knew it had gotten away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭the scrote

That bird think her names Barbara Nolan kept trying to move him along,what's her purpose there?as a irish woman she should be ashamed of herself.traitor.

Advertisement