Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donor cards should have check box for "public patients only"

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Worztron wrote: »
    Do you think it is right for an OAP that has worked all their life to lay on a hospital trolley for many hours waiting for a bed while politicians with get express service in the private hospitals?

No - but that has absolutely nothing to do with private patients getting preferential treatment for organ donations.

Either way, it's still possible to have a two tier system and have a top class public health system.

But that idea seems to have surpassed you & you seem happy enough instead to make absurd claims about organ donations going to rich people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Don't take it personally. .

But you said
    I don't want some rich private patient $%&£$ to get it over a kid from a less well off family.

My Mum definetly aint rich, she's just afraid of dying. Private health insurance eases that fear for a woman who has had multiple serious health scares over the years.

Astoudning combination of strongly held opinions and complete lack of any knowledge whatsover on which to base those opinions displayed by some in this thread.

If the "hurrr duurrrr rich people gettin all o ma organs" brigade would like to educate themselves a little, have a read of this. It is an analysis of factors affecting waiting times for renal transplants. Notice the only factors that make a difference are biological ones such as being blood group O and having a high peak panel reactive antibodies level.

I recently met a patient who had recieved 2 new lungs, a new heart and a new kidney and was doing very well. He was a public patient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I recently met a patient who had recieved 2 new lungs, a new heart and a new kidney and was doing very well. He was a public patient.

See? Medical card holders get everything. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Astoudning combination of strongly held opinions and complete lack of any knowledge whatsover on which to base those opinions displayed by some in this thread.

If the "hurrr duurrrr rich people gettin all o ma organs" brigade would like to educate themselves a little, have a read of this. It is an analysis of factors affecting waiting times for renal transplants. Notice the only factors that make a difference are biological ones such as being blood group O and having a high peak panel reactive antibodies level.

+ a million. Doesn't matter how rich you are. If a suitable donor can't be found then you're screwed. Transplants are tricky to get right, money isn't a factor in life or death

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I have to go to hospital to get a procedure done after the doctor sent me. Waiting one month. I dont have a medical card.. Do I have to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

Refer back to my first post. I said "checkbox". You make your own choice to mark it or not. It could be amended to say "Give to a non millionaire/billionaire first if both people equally need the organ".

People are very naive to think that elites have never been given preferential treatment re organ transplants.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The Donor card should have a check box for "public patients only". I don't want some rich private patient $%&£$ to get it over a kid from a less well off family. The private health service seeks to give preferential treatment based on someones wealth - what a disgusting notion. I seek to balance things.

Eh? Do you know how much organ transplantation costs? It's not cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Refer back to my first post. I said "checkbox". You make your own choice to mark it or not. It could be amended to say "Give to a non millionaire/billionaire first if both people equally need the organ".

People are very naive to think that elites have never been given preferential treatment re organ transplants.

It's a bit ****ty to discriminate against someone just because they have money.

MagicSean wrote: »
    It's a bit ****ty to discriminate against someone just because they have money.

Well the whole damn health service actively discriminates against the less well off. Do you recall poor Susie Long?

The big problem is that it is supposed to be a health service. Instead it is run as a profit making big business.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Well the whole damn health service actively discriminates against the less well off. Do you recall poor Susie Long?

The big problem is that it is supposed to be a health service. Instead it is run as a profit making big business.

So blame the health service. Don't blame some poor sod that's dying of liver disease and just happens to have budgeted for health insurance. I have health insurance, and if it came down to it I would give up my broadband and tv before I gave up my health insurance because I think it's important to get the best treatment for my family. And the thought that some spiteful little begrudger might deny my child an organ because I put some importance on his health is disgusting.

Sure there should be a single tier health system but killing off people who budget for health insurance is not how it should come about.

MagicSean wrote: »
    Sure there should be a single tier health system but killing off people who budget for health insurance is not how it should come about.

That ain't going to happen if people keep paying for private health cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

So effectively everyone in need of a transplant is means tested - the more you're in need of an organ the more likely your are to get it regardless of poverty/wealth.

Wealth isn't worth shit if you or your child is facing death I'd imagine.

Can you imagine if the organ transplant market was left open to the free market?

Na, I'll let the docs decide what to do with my bits n pieces (except my eyes cos I'll need them on the other side to see of course).

Wealth isn't worth shit if you or your child is facing death I'd imagine.

Tell that to the family of Susie Long. http://www.indymedia.ie/article/84817

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

If anyone needs any booze addled organs they can have mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Sindri wrote: »
    Ahh yes, but who decides the faith of someone's life?

Spiderman

no it was the doctor from star trek voyager... he had a mental breakdown over it so blanna torres had to delete the memory file

Tell that to the family of Susie Long. http://www.indymedia.ie/article/84817

The theme of this thread is organ transplants and how your wealth doesn't matter.

There are problems with our weird hybrid mixed public/'private' system that's indisputable as your link shows.

What do you propose as a solution other than ear-marking your organs for public patients only?

The theme of this thread is organ transplants and how your wealth doesn't matter.

There are problems with our weird hybrid mixed public/'private' system that's indisputable as your link shows.

What do you propose as a solution other than ear-marking your organs for public patients only?

Everyone should be under one health service. Peoples health should be the priority - not profit. Everyone should be treated on a priority basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Everyone should be under one health service. Peoples health should be the priority - not profit. Everyone should be treated on a priority basis.
    For organ donations, everyone is treated on a priority-only basis.

You're calling for the exact same discrimination you imagine is happening, only in reverse. Why should someone rich have a lower priority than somebody poor?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Everyone should have a warm house. Everyone should have a nice car. Everyone should have a foreign holiday twice a year. Everyone should have a fur coat.

How do you propose to make it an equitable system?

Outlaw private health insurance and practice? Socialize all health and raise taxes?

What are your solutions and how do you propose to pay for them? What will achieve the best outcomes?

• Advertisement

Everyone should have a warm house. Everyone should have a nice car. Everyone should have a foreign holiday twice a year. Everyone should have a fur coat.
    Only the house part is worth mentioning from above.
    What are your solutions and how do you propose to pay for them? What will achieve the best outcomes?
    I don't have all the answers. I am highlighting the massive faults with our garbage health system.

I don't have all the answers. I am highlighting the massive faults with our garbage health system.

Old news.

We need solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭28064212

No you're not. In fact, you managed to pick out one of the few totally equitable parts of the Irish medical system, and then propose that we introduce discrimination

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement