Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donor cards should have check box for "public patients only"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Worztron wrote: »
    There should not be a 2 tier health service. There should be 1 health service for all and someones wealth should be irrelevant to their treatment.

I wonder would your opinion be the same if you won 100m on the euromillion say then found yourself in the middle of a cancer scare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Theres about 14 times more people in Britan than here, if there were more people in need of organs here thered be somethign seriously wrong with us.

There's also 14 times the number of people to donate organs.
    I can understand a given year having minor disparities, but over time, we should be receiving as many as we give them, and that certainly wasn't the case over the late 90s, early 2000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Jesus, you'd think death would be enough to make you let go of prejudices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I wonder would your opinion be the same if you won 100m on the euromillion say then found yourself in the middle of a cancer scare.

If you won a hundred million, you could have your own doctor & live forever like Michael Jackson.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If you won a hundred million, you could have your own doctor & live forever like Michael Jackson.

Would that not count as a 2 tier system?

Anyway, look what happened to Michael Jackson, I'll take my chances in a properly equipped private hospital thanks. He'll be back as a Futurama style frozen head anyway. He's just havign a rest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Sindri wrote: »
    Ahh yes, but who decides the faith of someone's life?

A lot of people have it chosen for them by their parents at Baptism or similar acts of claiming and indoctrination, but we can make our own spiritual choices as we mature.

OP, what if my organ/s save a private patient who then donates their fortune to build a hospital wing? Is that better than a public patient who goes on to live an unhealthy lifestyle and waste the organ? Or maybe, just maybe, your idea is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Worztron

A lot of people have it chosen for them by their parents at Baptism or similar acts of claiming and indoctrination, but we can make our own spiritual choices as we mature.

OP, what if my organ/s save a private patient who then donates their fortune to build a hospital wing? Is that better than a public patient who goes on to live an unhealthy lifestyle and waste the organ? Or maybe, just maybe, your idea is stupid.

A abhor the whole notion of private health care.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

When you have enough money to pay for it you'll soon change your mind.

You could have just announced your prejudice from the beginning instead of trotting out a bollocks idea.

When you have enough money to pay for it you'll soon change your mind.

No chance of that.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

No chance of that.

Ah come on - you might not be poor all your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I don't want some rich private patient $%&£$

That "rich private patient $%&£$" taxes are paying for the medical card for the "less well off family". Begrudgery still going strong in 2012. Hopefully the doctor will have enough ethics to decide that the organ should go the unhealthier patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

If it wasn't for private health care my father may well not be alive today. Oh and he's not a wealthy man either, just budgeted health insurance into his life. And good thing he did.

If you ever find yourself in th position of needing it, your attitude would quickly change!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

The Donor card should have a check box for "public patients only". I don't want some rich private patient $%&£$ to get it over a kid from a less well off family. The private health service seeks to give preferential treatment based on someones wealth - what a disgusting notion. I seek to balance things.
    Tbh, I'd be happy for organs to go to anyone at all, and I'm sure they would be too. People can't help having been born into a wealthier family any more than they can a poorer one. People from both backgrounds could be really ill. As long as there's some sort of regulation to make sure organs don't just go to people who can pay, that's fine with me. Oh and all people should automatically be regarded as donors, with an opt-out system rather than the opt-in system we have now.

cassi wrote: »
    If it wasn't for private health care my father may well not be alive today. Oh and he's not a wealthy man either, just budgeted health insurance into his life. And good thing he did.

If you ever find yourself in th position of needing it, your attitude would quickly change!

I am glad to hear your father is well.

If it wasn't for the lousy health system in this country -- many people would be alive today. Again, I reiterate that 1 health system should be here for all and people are treated on priority and not on wealth.

If it wasn't for the lousy health system in this country -- many people would be alive today. Again, I reiterate that 1 health system should be here for all and people are treated on priority and not on wealth.

So do you think that by getting rid of health insurance and private clinics, our health service would improve?

If it wasn't for the lousy health system in this country -- many people would be alive today.

If it wasn't for the health system a lot more would be dead.

No matter what health system we have, we'll all die.

No matter what health system we have, we'll all die.

Clearly I was referring to dieing prematurely.

Your right, sure there's people dying now that never died before.

Your thread is going well, isn't it? I'd say you're about ready to take the idea to the Minister for Health.

• Advertisement

Most premature deaths are self inflicted. One of the hardest things to do in the medical health care system is to protect people from themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Without private health care i reckon my Mum would be dead. She has had two strokes and cancer. She is on disability but still pays for her VHI, its a rubbish system, but its better than relying on public health care. Whats your problem OP?

So do you think that by getting rid of health insurance and private clinics, our health service would improve?

If we had a first rate health system we would not need private health insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If we had a first rate health system we would not need private health insurance.

Can you imagine what state the health system would be in right now if no insurer was offering private health cover in Ireland? If we had a first rate health system free to everyone then it wouldn't be long imploding and resulting in an all round poorer service for everyone.

True but we dont have that right now. So rather than adressing the issue of health care, you want to take away the thing that actually gives people a chance!! It doesn't make sense to me.

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Without private health care i reckon my Mum would be dead. She has had two strokes and cancer. She is on disability but still pays for her VHI, its a rubbish system, but its better than relying on public health care. Whats your problem OP?

Don't take it personally. Look, I am saying that EVERYONE should be looked after properly. Blame the idiotic governments (Mary Harney in particular). Many people are forced off private health cover now with all the price rises -- surely they deserve a proper health system. Look at Cuba - a relatively poor country but they have a good health system. Look at the USA - a rich country that would rather let you die on the street rather that treat you (if they knew their was no profit to be made from it).

Regardless of how good or bad the state health system is, there will always be a need for private health insurance by virtue of the fact that there will always be a demand for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The Donor card should have a check box for "public patients only". I don't want some rich private patient $%&£$ to get it over a kid from a less well off family. The private health service seeks to give preferential treatment based on someones wealth - what a disgusting notion. I seek to balance things.

I actually agree. I lived in america were the health system was disgusting to say the least. People who couldnt afford health insurance were often told they couldnt be treated by doctors. I dont think people who have pay for private service or health insurance are necessarily rich but people who want to donate their organs should definatly be given the option to give it to those who havent the money to pay for private service if they need it.

Saying that In terms of emergency and life threathing illnesses doctors will try to treat people equally.

True but we dont have that right now. So rather than adressing the issue of health care, you want to take away the thing that actually gives people a chance!! It doesn't make sense to me.

I am offering my views and opinions. Take it up with the bankers, politicians and other elite scum for putting us all in an impossible situation.

Do you think it is right for an OAP that has worked all their life to lay on a hospital trolley for many hours waiting for a bed while politicians get express service in the private hospitals?

• Advertisement

I am offering my views and opinions. Take it up with the bankers, politicians and other elite scum for putting us all in an impossible situation.

Do you think it is right for an OAP that has worked all their life to lay on a hospital trolley for many hours waiting for a bed while politicians with get express service in the private hospitals?

Of course I don't. But im not gonna take a crusade against health insurance holders when they aren't the actual problem! If your issue is with politicians etc getting preferential treatment, then take it to them but don't damn the average person who happens to have insurance?

Advertisement