Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donor cards should have check box for "public patients only"

Options
  • 19-01-2012 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

The Donor card should have a check box for "public patients only". I don't want some rich private patient $%&£$ to get it over a kid from a less well off family. The private health service seeks to give preferential treatment based on someones wealth - what a disgusting notion. I seek to balance things.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

All that spite building up in your organs probably means they are useless anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Worztron wrote: »
    The Donor card should have a check box for "public patients only". I don't want some rich private patient $%&£$ to get it over a kid from a less well off family. The private health service seeks to give preferential treatment based on someones wealth - what a disgusting notion. I seek to balance things.

Oh...well I donate platelets and I'm a private health patient...should I make demands as to where my platelets go?

I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Its who ever is top of the list and close enough to get it in time. Its "need" over "wealth" etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Who cares how successful the recipient is in life. As long as you save a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

hmmm wrote: »
    All that spite building up in your organs probably means they are useless anyway.

If 2 people (both same age) need an organ (just one is available). 1 is private and the other is public. Who do you think will get it?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

Senna wrote: »
    Its who ever is top of the list and close enough to get it in time. Its "need" over "wealth" etc.

I will believe in "need" over "wealth" when I see a minister on a hospital trolley waiting days on end for a bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

If 2 people (both same age) need an organ (just one is available). 1 is private and the other is public. Who do you think will get it?

Ahh yes, but who decides the faith of someone's life?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

Spiderman

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

them foreigners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

Spiderman

With great organs comes great responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Does that happen very often? Are they also the same match of organ, blood etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

bluewolf wrote: »
    them foreigners

I believe we 'share' organ donations with Britain, and they get more off us than we get off them. That was certainly the case in the recent past anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Pin_Cushion

Whoever the consultant decides needs it most, regardless of their type of cover. This is how it works in our hospitals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Anybody else have an organ donor card but never bothered to get next of kin to sign it?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I will believe in "need" over "wealth" when I see a minister on a hospital trolley waiting days on end for a bed.

If you earned over 100k a year would you go public?

I believe we 'share' organ donations with Britain, and they get more off us than we get off them. That was certainly the case in the recent past anyway.

Theres about 14 times more people in Britan than here, if there were more people in need of organs here thered be somethign seriously wrong with us.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Underdraft wrote: »
    With great organs comes great responsibility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIgfiSzCy1o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It depends on who is next on the list as run by the National Organ Procurement Service. Have you not done your research before you started this thread?

Besides which, these "rich" kids parents have been paying for your dole and medical card.

What if the organ donor is a private patient? Is it right that it's given to a public patent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Have you got evidence for this because I think that's BS, you are put on a waiting list and then that depends on compatibility for the donated organ.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

This post is puzzling. Rich people may be able to buy their way into a lot of things, but they can't buy organs (not legally and safely anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

No, the private health insurance gives you a standard of quality treatment because you PAY for it. I'm not aware though of private patients getting preferential treatment for organ donation, please explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Ever consider that not everyone with health insurance is rich?

Many have it as a benefit package as part of their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭blackbox

Why should you care if people wish to spend their money on additional health insurance on top of what they are already paying in taxes to cover the basic service.

Other people may wish to spend their money on holidays instead. Yet others may chose to spend it on cigarettes, or on their children's education.

If they have earned the money, it's their choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Are you even an organ donor like? Or just sh(t stirring?!

The whole point of carrying a card is to help save someone else's life when you're gone. It's supposed to be the ultimate act of altruism, not a tool with which to make a cheap political statement.

blackbox wrote: »
    Why should you care if people wish to spend their money on additional health insurance on top of what they are already paying in taxes to cover the basic service.

Other people may wish to spend their money on holidays instead. Yet others may chose to spend it on cigarettes, or on their children's education.

If they have earned the money, it's their choice.

There should not be a 2 tier health service. There should be 1 health service for all and someones wealth should be irrelevant to their treatment.

Are you even an organ donor like? Or just sh(t stirring?!

The whole point of carrying a card is to help save someone else's life when you're gone. It's supposed to be the ultimate act of altruism, not a tool with which to make a cheap political statement.

I have an organ donor card. I am entitled to my opinion.

There should not be a 2 tier health service. There should be 1 health service for all and someones wealth should be irrelevant to their treatment.

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Yet again, you pay for a service you get a service. You dont, then you rely in the governments ability to operate it's health service. Tough **** basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

bluewolf wrote: »
    them foreigners

Dey took ur errrrrrrrrrrrrgins, Derp-a-derp!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I have an organ donor card. I am entitled to my opinion.

Indeed you are, but could you please back up what you said in the OP. Or is that a made up opinion.

Advertisement