Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android 4.0 Tablet (7" Capacitive, Wi-Fi, 1GHz) = €92

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Paddy_man

eamonnq wrote: »
    Also just bear in mind, that even though they might put a low value for customs purposes, that does not mean that you won't get charged the full rate. Customs are well up on this nowadays and ( I would think ) you are more likely to be charged the full rate.

Best thing to do is be prepared to pay it and build that into your total price, and if you don't get hit with customs charges, consider it an extra bonus.

I am aware that Customs aren't as dumb as they look, but if theres a little chance I can spare myself the €40 customs charge i will try my best. Every Little Helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Paddy_man wrote: »
    I am aware that Customs aren't as dumb as they look, but if theres a little chance I can spare myself the €40 customs charge i will try my best. Every Little Helps :)

Of course, but just expect to pay, and then if you don't have to it will be like backing a winner !!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

Has anybody any thoughts on this one??

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006M07X34

Looking for something for my 9 yr old - I'm torn between this one and the Aurora.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

bijou wrote: »

Looking for something for my 9 yr old - I'm torn between this one and the Aurora.

The pictures detail two completely different units so I'd be very suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

bijou wrote: »

Expensive for what it is. Go get an Aurora or Elf off eBay or the Chinese sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭nodolan

Read this thread a few weeks ago and decided to order two Ainol 7 from PandaWill.

Big mistake.

No auto email confirming order (except email from PayPal confirming payment).

:confused:

They can take up to 5 days to reply to emails.

Told me that they were getting more stock and to wait 5-7 days.

Waited.

Nothing. No email, no tablets, nothing. :(

Emailed them yet again.

3 days later - none left, not getting any more, please pick something else.

Told them I wanted a refund...no reply.

:mad:

Lodged a complaint with PayPal today.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Strange. I got an order email, I waited for a month, cancelled my order (via pandawillservice.AT.gmail.com) and got a refund the same day. No problems.

Mr E wrote: »
    Strange. I got an order email, I waited for a month, cancelled my order (via pandawillservice.AT.gmail.com) and got a refund the same day. No problems.
    I know. It was seeing mixed reviews online that seemed to be leaning towards being positive that made me choose them. Definitely didn't get any email from them confirming the order and any other communication has been polite but painfully slow. I can copy/paste the emails here (anonymized) if people want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

Proxy wrote: »
    Just bought the Ainol Novo 7 Paladin off Focalprice for 76 euro after using a discount code. Free shipping. All I want it for is basic browsing, movies and ebooks so should hopefully be good for that. Doesn't have HDMI out or a camera, but I've already got a camera, and a smartphone. Will report back once delivered.

Now to find a case for it.

how are you getting on with the paladin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

My gf just picked up my Aurora from the post office over in the UK. Didn't pay any customs on it which is nice. Wont get my hands on it until Monday. Cant wait. Hope I dont get a lemon like other people have been reporting i.e gap around the screen, dead pixels etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭enviro

Any opinions on this Reviews are mostly positive. £109 + £4.59 delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 81,657 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Pan digital nova and many other sub 100 tabs brought in to me by customers have taught me to beware of low price tabs. They always seem to cut corners, badly. Really poor touchscreens are the big one then you have bad wifireception. Just to name two. I only sell them to people that insist on it, and at that I sell them as color readers. Calling them tablets is a joke to tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 westham_irish

Cancelled my novo 7 aurora because it was taking weeks!! ordered this instead http://www.jxd.hk/products.asp?id=606&selectclassid=009006

Looks very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Overheal wrote: »
    Pan digital nova and many other sub 100 tabs brought in to me by customers have taught me to beware of low price tabs. They always seem to cut corners, badly. Really poor touchscreens are the big one then you have bad wifireception. Just to name two. I only sell them to people that insist on it, and at that I sell them as color readers. Calling them tablets is a joke to tablets.

Would agree, When you pay 300E odd for a decent phone, to expect anything decent for less than that in tablet form is silly.

Chriscl1 wrote: »
    how are you getting on with the paladin?
    I haven't got it yet, it only shipped on Wednesday morning. Let you know once I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I got the gf to open the box of my Aurora. She said that there is a slight squeeke out of one of the corners when you sweeze it. Nothing too major. She couldn't see a gap between the screen and the casing where the ports are. Hopefully the screen is in full working order once it's powered on. Suppose I'll find out on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Cancelled my novo 7 aurora because it was taking weeks!! ordered this instead http://www.jxd.hk/products.asp?id=606&selectclassid=009006

Looks very good!

How much? Looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 30 westham_irish

IPAM wrote: »
    How much? Looks good

http://www.pandawill.com/jxd-s9000-tablet-pc-97-inch-android-23-ips-screen-1gb-ram-16gb-dual-camera-hdmi-ultra-thin-silver-p56566.html

Got it from here for abit cheaper than it is now. Looks good but who knows!!

That looks savage! Pretty much iPad!

I haven't got it yet, it only shipped on Wednesday morning. Let you know once I get it.
    thanks. i ordered one for my little boy and it was shipped on the 1/2/12 but it hasnt arrived yet so going through paypal dispute atm.

• Advertisement

Ainol Novo 7 Aurora Update 2/28/12
    First, we would like to apologize for the delays that have been set forth by the manufacturer, Ainol. There have been many dates pushed back due to issues with the IPS screens. The latest batch that was delivered also had defective screens with dead pixels.

We have now received a new date of March 15th which means orders will be shipping a few days after they have been tested. At this point we understand if you can no longer wait and are offering a few options:

1) Wait for March 15th or after -units will be A-grade, none of the known issues such as dead pixels or out of place screens.

2) We can bump those who don't mind the known issues up on the waiting list, hopefully get units after March 6th. If we receive units, they will most likely be the 8GB models so those who ordered 16GB can also downgrade.

3) Change to one of these 5 alternatives - Instructions are given on this page

http://chinagrabber.com/top-10-alternative-ainol-novo-7-aurora-tablets.aspx

Please keep in mind that these delays are not on our (chinagrabber) end and our trying our best to get orders out as units come in. Email us at info@chinagrabber.com with your order number and let us know if you wish to change the order or continue to wait.

Due to the high amount of inquiries and emails, please allow us 1-2 days for us to get back to you.

For updates, please check back on this page before emailing us as they will be posted here.

New customers- you can still place an order and you will be added to the waiting list.

Note: Due to our special relationship with Ainol we will be the first to receive batches of A grade units.

Regards,

China Grabber Team

http://chinagrabber.com/special-announcement.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

Expensive for what it is. Go get an Aurora or Elf off eBay or the Chinese sites.

Just looking for opinions here :) ..... but bearing in mind I'm looking for a tablet for a 9 yr old - why you believe the NATPC tablet to be expensive? I thought the bundle (tablet/case/sd card) seemed to be a good deal.

Also because it's for a 9 yr old do you think it's worth paying the extra for the Aurora over the Elf?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

I have the Elf, a mate has the Aurora, the extra price diff is worth it

Both screens are v good, the Aurora it better, better, colours , brightness and considerably better viewing angle

The auroura is slightly slimmer , and feels lighter , v little in it here

The case/body also has a nicer finish, more beveled

Both devices, should really be used with screen protector

My elf and I think the aurora are v slightly laggy , they can be fixed by reformatting with 234 or a custom ICS Rom both from Slatedroid

My Elf from Pandawill comes with a two pin (rectangular) power adapter, and also a converter to convert the rectangular pins to two round ones , so this is not ideal, so try and get a 3 pin, when ordering

Overall definety worth the money, but factor in approx 30E vat, when the postman gets hands on it

If you get a case, get one with kick stand, this means the tab is angled at just the right angle to watch a movie on, it u dont want to hold it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭seanin4711

heard from GadgetFreakz that ainol having major issues with Hitachi ips screen, changed suppliers to LG.
    don't hold your breath.
    bummer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

seanin4711 wrote: »
    heard from GadgetFreakz that ainol having major issues with Hitachi ips screen, changed suppliers to LG.
    don't hold your breath.
    bummer

does that mean that the existing stock will have potential issues?

was thinking of buying one from this guy

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Ainol-Novo7-Aurora-7-IPS-HD-9mm-ultra-slim-Android-4-0-ICS-Tablet-PC-8GB-HDMI-/260971777913?pt=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item3cc3214f79#ht_10471wt_874

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

That guy is shipping them from China, so you might want to check who is paying the customs fees, and who do you return it to if it is faulty.

Chriscl1 wrote: »
    thanks. i ordered one for my little boy and it was shipped on the 1/2/12 but it hasnt arrived yet so going through paypal dispute atm.
    The FocalPrice rep sent me this:
    SD.jpg

Dear customer,

Thank you for your continued support and purchases with FocalPrice. As you may have noticed, China shipping has unfortunately been very unreliable recently. We have received many inquiries about this issue and would hereby like to answer some of the most important questions.

Why the delay?
    During the Chinese New Year (CNY) holiday from 14 to 28 January, many Chinese industries shut down as most of the country's 1.3 billion people simultaneously go on vacation. It puts an especially heavy burden on the Chinese logistics industry and transit times are extended significantly during this period. The fast growth of China's e-commerce industry is also adding pressure to the local logistics system. During CNY the China Post does not update any tracking information.

Delivery Time
    dt.jpg

Order tracking
    Online tracking for China Post orders is currently still not available. China Post have announced that order tracking will be available again starting from 20th March.

How to contact us
    Due to the unusually high amount of messages we are currently receiving, please only contact us via My Message or RMA in your FocalPrice account. This is the only way we can ensure that inquiries are processed within 24 hours. Claims for refunds currently take between 5-7 days to process (usually 3 days)

Important: Please do not contact us via E-mail or Live-Chat as these services are currently not available.
    Be sure to get in touch with customer support before opening disputes with Paypal. We understand that many orders have been delayed recently, but opening disputes will be sure to prolong the process and make refunds or resending of orders very difficult.

We take all suggestions and criticism very seriously. Currently we are preparing to add more shipping methods, to ensure all customers can select the delivery method that best suits them. If you prefer to have your orders dispatched via HK Post, you can contact us directly after placing an order (via "My Message" in your account) and our customer service will arrange this.

This is a problem affecting the entire China export industry, but we at FocalPrice are doing our best to optimize our processes and give you the best possible service despite this ongoing problem. Your patience and understanding in this issue is very much appreciated and we will continue to update with new posts with any new information.

Side note, in the PM she sent it definitely shipped on 1st March, so i'll let you know when it eventually gets here. Bleedin' Chinese New Year, I only got 2 days off for Christmas.... :confused:

Cheers for that Eamon. Interesting the china post order tracking still not available, that was the main reason I escalated my pay pal dispute, I have no way of proving they sent it and I wasn't going to just wait and wait incase the time period exceeded my time to make a claim. I'm very impatient lol

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Xzen wrote: »
    There's a handy site for finding this cost dutycalculator.com
    A paid for app that doesn't include the €6 (or is it €8) cover charge you pay when stuff gets stopped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

what do people think of this one as an alternative(albeit more expensive) ?

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/tablets/80005216/yarvik_9_7_tab465_8gb/details.aspx

Advertisement