Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android 4.0 Tablet (7" Capacitive, Wi-Fi, 1GHz) = €92

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Do-more wrote: »
    The problem is that at US$160 or so you are getting very close to the price of the upcoming Google Nexus 7.

Nexus 7 will be 259.99 here according to currys and pcworld. Screen should be fab though.
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/ASUS-Google-Nexus-7-Tablet-PC-16-GB/311287/2.9

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

moodrater wrote: »
    Nexus 7 will be 259.99 here according to currys and pcworld. Screen should be fab though.
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/ASUS-Google-Nexus-7-Tablet-PC-16-GB/311287/2.9

That's the 16Gb version the 8Gb version should be €199.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Been following this thread with interest as I'm interested in a cheap tablet.

It'll be used for browsing the web, youtube, music, would like to be able to connect it to the tv. Oh and obviously needs to have wifi.

To be honest the main use will be browsing the web.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008B68BQU

Been looking at this one. Seems to tick all the boxes but the only thing I dont like is the screen size.

Ideally I'd like one closer to the IPad size. Is this possible?

Any ideas / examples very welcome.

Cheers,

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭s982102

It'll be used for browsing the web, youtube, music, would like to be able to connect it to the tv. Oh and obviously needs to have wifi.

Been looking at this one. Seems to tick all the boxes but the only thing I dont like is the screen size.

Cheers,

Eoin

If you want it to be cheap, relatively reliable, then it is not possible to have larger screen. That is the trade-off. The cheapest 10" tablet in China still costs about 140 euro, that is the price in China!. It may cost you about 200 euro to buy it here. Anything cheaper than that, there is a very high risk that the machine will not function right.

• Advertisement

s982102 wrote: »
    If you want it to be cheap, relatively reliable, then it is not possible to have larger screen. That is the trade-off. The cheapest 10" tablet in China still costs about 140 euro, that is the price in China!. It may cost you about 200 euro to buy it here. Anything cheaper than that, there is a very high risk that the machine will not function right.

Ok well it sounds like I go for the one with the smaller screen so.

Is that one from amazon the best for around the €100 mark or is there better??

Not sure if I trust the other sites sending from China, etc with all the chances around the paying of duty etc..

IF there is a better spec one from the likes of China can someone give me a good example with the duty included and an idea of how long it would take to get to me.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Cheers,

Eoin

Looks good, I recently received similar 1GB RAM one with hdmi from mcbub but one thing i was hoping for and it didnt work out well was live streaming flashsportstreams from tablet to tv via hdmi as the CPU needs to be 3GHZ and a 128 graphics card which the tablet doesnt have. So the tablet doesnt transfer live streaming well, picture is very pixelated and blotchy and doesnt maximise properly. Versus laptop to tv there is no comparrison.
    But you will be impressed with the hdmi for films from tablet to tv, thats the real deal.

As an aside one glitch on mine and its been happening from unboxing was that the home screen slider wont unlock when its powered on. The only way i can get the opening screen to unlock is by connecting the charger to it and the laptop plugging it right out again and the slider works. It happens every time i power it on if anyone has any suggestions?. Might try a factory reset soon if nothing comes up but you lose all the apps and data.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭s982102

Looks good, i like the 1GB RAM. I recently received a 500MB RAM one with hdmi from mcbub but one thing i was hoping for and it didnt work out well was live streaming flashsportstreams from tablet to tv via hdmi as the CPU needs to be 3GHZ and a 128 graphics card which the tablet doesnt have. So the tablet doesnt transfer live streaming well, picture is very pixelated and blotchy and doesnt maximise properly. Versus laptop to tv there is no comparrison.
    But you will be impressed with the hdmi for films from tablet to tv, thats the real deal.

As an aside one glitch on mine and its been happening from unboxing was that the home screen slider wont unlock when its powered on. The only way i can get the opening screen to unlock is by connecting the charger to it and the laptop plugging it right out again and the slider works. It happens every time i power it on if anyone has any suggestions?. Might try a factory reset soon if nothing comes up but you lose all the apps and data.

If you are using the out-of-boxed ROM, then it is time for you to flash the latest ROM into it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Products/cat/tablets

A few of these seem like great value, I've looked at some reviews for the tablo 8" and it seems like a runner?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    I've looked at some reviews for the tablo 8" and it seems like a runner?

The one thing that jumps out at me from a quick look is that it only has 512Mb of RAM personally I'd be looking for a machine with at least 1Gb.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Do-more wrote: »
    The one thing that jumps out at me from a quick look is that it only has 512Mb of RAM personally I'd be looking for a machine with at least 1Gb.

Yeah, that's a worry, the next one up is £149 and has 1GB of RAM, though by that stage you're up near the google nexus I suppose.

Like many of the other posters, I'd be primarily interested in having a cheap tablet for the kids for games etc on long journeys (we do quite a bit of journeying to the respective families at opposite ends of the country). The kids are young, so I might take a chance on one of the cheapies.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Tablet arrived anyway Ainol Aurora 2 - 33 euro to customs.

Not too shabby at all, no screen probs , looks to be quick enough.
    Just rooted it and stuck on a custom rom , wanted rid of the chinese apps.
    The Keyboard case I bought doesnt fit it (Grrr).
    I'll get a decent look at battery life and so on tomorrow at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

max100140 wrote: »
    Hey guys just thought I would let you know you can get this even cheaper!! http://www.mcbub.com/item/-Clearance--Ainol-NOVO7-Paladin-First-Android-4-0-Tablet-PC-7-Inch-8GB-1080P-Black--CN109649--143382/ only 74.09 euro from mcbub!! I ordered one from them a few months ago and its brilliant, they have it in clearance at the moment so if your gonna get one get it fast only 14 left!!
    Only 74 euro can't believe it!! They are charging 91 on deal extreme!!! And delivery is free on mcbub!!!
    Someone brought me an Ainol Novo 7 Palidin back from China and after a mighty struggle with flashing a custom rom onto it then overclocking it I managed to get it from completely unuseable to barely useable, and I mean barely, basically all its good for is a handheld comic reader and even at theat the screen is too small by an inch or 2.

The main problem is it cant maintain a wi-fi connection, if I lay it flat in my room upstairs it can barely connect to the router downstairs, on a citylink bus sitting under their router it can barely hold the connection, even when you do get it to connect the browsing experience, even overclocked, is like being dipped in tar, it freezes for 30 seconds at a time on the simplest instruction like clicking on a headline on the Guardian website, any hint of java or flash or anything complicated and it just dies.

Its not worth it at any price if you're planning on using it to replace a laptop as your main browser. I read my comic downloads on it and its okay for that but the batterys not great and neither is the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

horgan_p wrote: »
    Tablet arrived anyway Ainol Aurora 2 - 33 euro to customs.

Not too shabby at all, no screen probs , looks to be quick enough.
    Just rooted it and stuck on a custom rom , wanted rid of the chinese apps.
    The Keyboard case I bought doesnt fit it (Grrr).
    I'll get a decent look at battery life and so on tomorrow at work.

Just out of curiosity, what did you use to root it and what ROM did you put on afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

max100140 wrote: »
    Hey guys just thought I would let you know you can get this even cheaper!! http://www.mcbub.com/item/-Clearance--Ainol-NOVO7-Paladin-First-Android-4-0-Tablet-PC-7-Inch-8GB-1080P-Black--CN109649--143382/ only 74.09 euro from mcbub!! I ordered one from them a few months ago and its brilliant, they have it in clearance at the moment so if your gonna get one get it fast only 14 left!!
    Only 74 euro can't believe it!! They are charging 91 on deal extreme!!! And delivery is free on mcbub!!!

Three posts and at least two of them are advertising McBub. Hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

What would be wrong with this lads and lassies for Stg150.00 ??

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Tablo_9.7_16GB_Tablet_1258959.html

It's got expansion capabilites, 1ghz processor, Android ICS, 16gb memory, etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 max100140

Thargor wrote: »
    Someone brought me an Ainol Novo 7 Palidin back from China and after a mighty struggle with flashing a custom rom onto it then overclocking it I managed to get it from completely unuseable to barely useable, and I mean barely, basically all its good for is a handheld comic reader and even at theat the screen is too small by an inch or 2.

The main problem is it cant maintain a wi-fi connection, if I lay it flat in my room upstairs it can barely connect to the router downstairs, on a citylink bus sitting under their router it can barely hold the connection, even when you do get it to connect the browsing experience, even overclocked, is like being dipped in tar, it freezes for 30 seconds at a time on the simplest instruction like clicking on a headline on the Guardian website, any hint of java or flash or anything complicated and it just dies.

Its not worth it at any price if you're planning on using it to replace a laptop as your main browser. I read my comic downloads on it and its okay for that but the batterys not great and neither is the screen.

This is strange because I know two people and myself who have this tablet and they all have amazing experiences with it!

vicwatson wrote: »

It's got expansion capabilites, 1ghz processor, Android ICS, 16gb memory, etc etc

Ok now we're talking.

That looks like something that'd interest me. Decent memory, nice big screen, can be expanded.

Any techie's want to take that question by any chance??

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

vicwatson wrote: »

Some more here, http://www.mcbub.com/category/cheap-Android-Tablet-pc-1146/?c=1002&v=115

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Ok now we're talking.

That looks like something that'd interest me. Decent memory, nice big screen, can be expanded.

Any techie's want to take that question by any chance??

Much appreciated.

For that kind of money I'd buy a used touchpad with cyanogenmod on it if only for twice the battery life and build quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,861 ✭✭✭Soarer

May I ask why a Touchpad as opposed to any other type of secondhand tablet, like a Motorola Xoom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Soarer wrote: »
    May I ask why a Touchpad as opposed to any other type of secondhand tablet, like a Motorola Xoom?
    Because you can pick up the touchpad for between 80 and 120 sterling on ebay if you're wiling to wait a while and use an auction sniper never seen a xoom anywhere near that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

chris1970 wrote: »

Dealsprime are just CHINAGRABBER operating under another new name (GadgetGreats and a few others are also them!!) AVOID AVOID AVOID

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

eamonnq wrote: »
    Dealsprime are just CHINAGRABBER operating under another new name (GadgetGreats and a few others are also them!!) AVOID AVOID AVOID

well tablet arrived last wensday, nice tablet ainol fire/flame full market access after xxxx827 update, dealsprime just over a week to deliver, no problems, a friend ordered another last friday, hopefully it works out the same:D

Just put in an order for this, think it's a great deal for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

chris1970 wrote: »
    eamonnq wrote: »

well tablet arrived last wensday, nice tablet ainol fire/flame full market access after xxxx827 update, dealsprime just over a week to deliver, no problems, a friend ordered another last friday, hopefully it works out the same:D

How did you go with customs? How's the tablet in general? Mine is due to be shipped this week, longest wait ever, cant wait though

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

Aristotle wrote: »

That looks to be a great deal, seems to have a huge amout of features for that price point (hdmi, capacitive screen etc). Also no customs is a huge plus. Any idea on battery life?

That looks to be a great deal, seems to have a huge amout of features for that price point (hdmi, capacitive screen etc). Also no customs is a huge plus. Any idea on battery life?

I made a rough comparison of it to the Nexus 7 over on hukd:
    Pros:
    Price - Obviously the biggest advantage, well over £100 less.
    Micro sd slot - A major con for the nexus 7 for a lot of people.
    USB and mini -hdmi port - No need for adapters

Cons:
    Battery life - 3,000mAh battery compared to the Nexus 7's 4,325mAh so obviously will not be as good (estimated battery life ~4-6 hours)
    Lower resolution - note that I say lower not low. A great resolution for the price but not as good as the Nexus 7.
    Only 4gb internal storage
    No Jelly Bean - I'm sure a rom will be available eventually
    No Bluetooth
    Quality build usually isn't the best with Chinese tablets

Just watched a video of it in action and have to say I'm very happy with my order. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Hey there, juat a question- Delivery is 10 pound sterling dearer than the device itself...????

EDIT: Price is inclusive of delivery?

Advertisement