Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'll have a BQ please Bob

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

jcsmum wrote: »
    Best of luck on Saturday. I've no doubt that you'll PB it!!

Cheers. My PB over 5 miles is from 12 months ago so it's a soft target.

You going for 2 PBs in a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Best of luck on Saturday. I've no doubt that you'll PB it!!

Cheers. My PB over 5 miles is from 12 months ago so it's a soft target.

You going for 2 PBs in a week?

I'm not running the 5 mile, too crowded for my liking. I have my eye on a few other races though.
    It's funny after Cork I said no more races....I've done 2 since :)

Thurs - 9 miles @ 8.16 (HR 149)
    Out of work at 10pm on Wed so decided to leave this run til thurs. Got out at 9pm on Thurs:mad:, and really wasn't looking forward to this, but with this being week 1 of the plan I didn't want to be missing sessions. Was an enjoyable run despite my reluctance.

Sat - Irish Runner 5 mile 33.57 (Avg pace 6.48, and Avg HR 168)
    I know many people dislike this series due to the crowds, but as I cut my teeth with races in the race series a few years back, I do have a soft spot for them. They fit with the plan, and so long as you get in to the right wave and as appropriately forward in the wave, then I think the crowd issue isn't unbearable. As I'm from culchie land, the ability to take an elbow or a shoulder is all part of growing up:D, so bumping doesn't bother me so much (prob will if I end up on my ass someday though)!!
    Now the goal was to first go under 35 mins, and more specifically under 34. This meant averages of 6.48 per mile. As the first three miles were flat and down the Kyber I knew I needed to be on schedule or better at the three mile mark, and then get really stuck in.
    I don't rem a huge amount about the first three miles other than two pins on the number fallling off, so I had to move pins around without trying to stab myself. The three miles were 6.45, 6.44 and 6.46. I felt I was cruising in mile 3 and was down at 6.30 pace but the climb up Military rd put manners on me but even still all felt good.
    Mile 4 was much the same. I was working harder as we travelled up Upr Glen Rd, pace was on track until my watch beeped 6.46 for mile 4 a good 50/60 yards before the mile marker. Obviously wasn't tight enough to the racing line, and the watch said 26.20 when I hit the 4 mile marker. Fock, threw me a bit there, and that meant a 6.40 final mile to break 34. Checked the pace after a couple of mins into the mile 7.00, and I felt I hadn't let up, so put the head down and gave it some more. Looked down a minute later, 6.55:confused:. Fock again, so some serious effort was required. At this stage I was going past a lot of people and maybe just one or two passed me in the last mile. Turned onto Furze Rd, and checked the watch again...pace down to 6.37. That gave me a boost and knew I just had to keep the intensity going rigt to the line. It was really hurting at this stage, but I suppose it's not meant to be easy!. Crossed the line, and final look at the watch 33.57. Delighted.

Good to bump into a few boardsies before and after.

Jogged back to the car, and went out for another loop of the park. 3 miles in I was regretting that decision, but slogeed my way around. 6 miles @ 9.11 (HR 139)

Excellent, I said you'd do it. And I'm always right ;)

Excellent, I said you'd do it. And I'm always right ;)

So sorry I ever doubted you! Won't happen again:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Well done today, congrats on the pb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well done. You looked like you had given it everything when you passed me. You need to change the log title btw:D

chinguetti wrote: »
    Well done. You looked like you had given it everything when you passed me. You need to change the log title btw:D

Cheers.. yeah don't think I ever pushed things that hard before. Amazing when you have a goal time in touching distance that you can dig that bit deeper

As for log title... a bit technically inept here.... but as a boards.ie log whizz I'm sure you can advise me how to?!! You must change the name daily as I can't seem to track it down?!:D

DigiJem wrote: »
    Well done today, congrats on the pb

Cheers. With all the PBs you guys have been clocking up lately, it would have been rude not to produce one myself!!

Sun - 5 miles recovery @ 9.05

43 miles for the week

• Advertisement

Mon: 10.5 miles @ 8.41 (HR 146) Tough slog home from work including Knockmaroon
    Tue: 9 miles back in to work @ 8.44 (HR 137) Down hill back to work so much easier run
    Thurs: 9 miles. Garmin battery died after 7.6 miles @ 7.50 (HR 153) just before I started 10 x 100 yard repeats. Can't say I'm a fan of these and the easy parts between the strides were probably a bit long to have gotten the full benefit
    Fri: 9 miles back into work @ 8.50 (HR 135)
    Sat: 13.4 miles Avg pace 8.16 (HR 150)
    The plan called for 13 miles with 8 @ PMP
    5 miles LSR - Completed 5 @ 8.53 (HR 139)

And 8 miles @ PMP - If I'm gonna break 3.30 I need PMP to be somewhere in the region of 7.50 and 8.00 minute miles. The 8 miles were completed @ 7.45 (HR 158). One of the miles was a 7.20 after I had restarted having stopped at a railway crossing. Still not able to run by feel!!
    Finished the last 0.4 to home in a nice slow warm down pace. Good enjoyable run, weather certainly helps.

Total for the week 50.9

Mon: 9 miles @ 8.07 (HR 149)
    Tue: 9 miles back in to work @ 8.50 (HR 134) Down hill back to work so much easier run
    Wed: 9 miles @ 8.32 (HR 144). This was supposed to to include 4 @ 10 miles per hour, but I wasn't feeling up to it. Really need to HTFU for these but on your tod on the way home from work its hard to find the drive sometimes.
    Fri: 9 miles back into work @ 8.46 (HR 136)
    Sat: 14.2 miles Avg pace 8.58 (HR 140) LSR down home in KK. HR seems a little high for the pace. Had played a round of golf earlier in the day so may be it was just the tiredness in the legs making the pace more of an effort

50 miles for the week

Mon: 8 miles @ 7.34 (Avg HR of 154). I missed one of the tougher sessions last week, so decided to catchup on it. 8 miles including 4 @ 10 mile pace. First four miles were at 7.54, and then the second four miles @ 7.04.
    Tue: 9 miles @ 8.17 (Avg HR 147) Jog home from work so an uphill route
    Wed: 9 miles @ 8.49 (Avg HR 137) Recovery jog downhill back into work
    Fri: 14 miles @ 8.32 (Avg HR 145) Swapped my LSR to Fri, and did it at a pace that is at the lower range of my LSR pace. jogged from home, in as far as Halfway house, cut across the park, back along Chapelizod Rd, up Knockmarroon, and home via Castlekmock and Blanch villages.
    Sat: 5.2 miles @ 9.28 (Avg HR 128) Proprer recovery paced run with the race on Sunday

Sunday: Race Series Fingal 10k - 41.52

PB at 10k is from 10k in K Club at the end of April at 42.57. My 5 mile time was giving 42.30 on McMillan's calc, so the aim was to give 42 mins a real go. Wasn't massively confident as it's a marathon programme I'm following with little speed work done so far. Target pace therefore was 6.45 per mile.
    The route was unfamiliar to me as it wasn't in the park, but I was aware of what had been described as a 'drag' from 6-8km. And pretty much back down hill for the 9th KM.
    Not much to report from the first three miles. Went through in 6.38, 6.39 and 6.41. Was hoping I wasn't going to pay for being a little ahead of schedule but with the 'drag' likely to cost me time, I wasn't overly worried.
    Next mile was tougher with the start of the drag which in 10k terms is definitely a hill. Went through that mile in 6.55. Next mile was just tough. Simple as that. I didn't look at the watch once in this mile cos I knew I was just working so hard and I certainly wasn't losing ground on anyone around me. I didn't notice the mile beep on the watch, but the mile was 7.20. I did look at the watch as I passed the 8k marker and pretty much thought 42 mins was gone (but my maths at that stage might have been pants). Down the hill, pushing as much as I could, passed the 9k marker and thought I'd do well to get 42.30. There was a short steep downhill, turn and short steep uphill and turn and on to the main street. 4/500 metres to go. I really hadn't much left, but just kept pushing. Don't think I went past anyone in the last km, but only a handful went passed me. I got a shock about 50 metres to go, when the race clock was showing 41.55/6/7/8. Thought something was surely wrong, but it just seems the 9km marker was out by quite a bit. So I was pretty happy and pleasatly surprised to see my own watch stopped at 41.52 (same as chip). 6th mile was a 6.38, and the 0.2 mile was at 5.55 pace. (Average HR was 173, and peak at 186 on the sharp rise back on to the Main St.) Bumped in to a few familiar boards faces at the end.
    A good day at the office, so fingers crossed I can keep things going like this right through to the end of Oct.

Usual efficeint organisation for the race series despite the different venue. Tough enough course

Total for the week 52 miles plus one PB

Bad week this week. Mon to Thursday = nothing. Just bugger all motivation and then guilt for missing sessions!
    Anyhoo, I decided on Fri morning enough was enough, and if I could get out of work on time, I'd head across to Donadea for the 5k and give 20 min barrier ago.

Donadea 5k: 20.06
    My PB is from sometime in May at 20.42, but my 10k time from last week popped into McMillan, and it was saying 20.09, so I reckoned I'd give the sub 20 a good shot.
    I started too far back in the field. My own fault just got caught out with the smaller field and should have known better. So the first mile there was a lot of weaving a lot more frantic than it should have been. Still first km was 4.01. Not too bad. Second km I was still overtaking a few but obviously not as many as things pread ouy, and I went through that in 3.55. Third km was tough with the rise up in this km. I think I lost concentration too, as pace for that km was 4.10. I don't think it was that tough a km. I didn't panic, I was only 6 seconds off and it was still doable. Next km terrain was up and down (mostly down), and went through that in 4.00, so still six seconds off. Last km I was working as hard as I could. Breathing was very laboured, but kept going, but alas final km was also 4.00, so finished 6 seconds over target.
    Not too disappointed. I gave it a good effort. I'm not far away. And it was a 30+second PB which is decent over that distance. Maybe with a less frantic first km, and a tarmac surface I might get closer. I'll give it a go later in the year again, maybe Rathfarnham if it fits in around marathon plan.
    I didn't have the HR monitor so not sure what max I hit, but I've not known breathing to be that all over the shop!

Sat - 16 miles @ 8.01 (HR 152)
    Plan said 16 miles with 10 at PMP. First 6 miles completed @ 8.26 (HR 142). Then upped the pace and the 10 miles were completed in an average of 7.45 (HR 160).
    This was a tough enough session and I was under pressure keeping the PMP for the last few miles, but I kept at it seeing as I had such a lazy week.

Great 5k PB and Lsr today!

Sun: 6.5 miles recovery @ 9.33 (HR 138)... very achey. Felt like such an old man, and regretted not sitting in a cold bath after yesterday's LSR. Still went through a longer stretching routine after the run today so feel much better

total for week 27.5

Mon: 9 miles @ 9.09 (HR 140) Hamstring was not in the best of shape and probably shouldn't have been running, so didn't follow the session in the plan and just ran very comfortably home from work. Good stretch afterwards
    Tue: 9 miles @ 8.43 (HR 141) Hamstring was deifintely better and running downhill made things a bit easier
    Wed: 9 miles @ 8.28 (Hr 146) Didn't get out of work til 9, so I was doing well to even get this run in and pace was better than earlier in week, if not quite as quick as it should have been
    Sat: 18.5 miles @ 8.51(HR 142) jogged from home down to the park (6 miles), then met jcsmum and digijem for another 6 or so which flew by with the chat, and then jogged back home again. Went pretty well, and was strong towards the finish which was much better than prior week. I think the easy sessions during the week meant the body wasn't too tired going in
    Sun: 6 miles @ 9.00

Total for the week 51.5

Edit... went through the 1000 mile mark during the LSR too!

Mon: 9 miles @ 9.09 (HR 140) Hamstring was not in the best of shape and probably shouldn't have been running, so didn't follow the session in the plan and just ran very comfortably home from work. Good stretch afterwards
    Tue: 9 miles @ 8.43 (HR 141) Hamstring was deifintely better and running downhill made things a bit easier
    Wed: 9 miles @ 8.28 (Hr 146) Didn't get out of work til 9, so I was doing well to even get this run in and pace was better than earlier in week, if not quite as quick as it should have been
    Sat: 18.5 miles @ 8.51(HR 142) jogged from home down to the park (6 miles), then met jcsmum and digijem for another 6 or so which flew by with the chat, and then jogged back home again. Went pretty well, and was strong towards the finish which was much better than prior week. I think the easy sessions during the week meant the body wasn't too tired going in
    Sun: 6 miles @ 9.00

Total for the week 51.5

Edit... went through the 1000 mile mark during the LSR too!

Congrats on the 1000 miles. Pity we didn't know, we could have stopped for coffee and cake...I could have done with the break!

Congrats on the 1000 miles. Pity we didn't know, we could have stopped for coffee and cake...I could have done with the break!

Sounds like a better reward than the bottle of lucozade and strange looks I got in the petrol station on the run route home!

Mon: 9 miles @ 7.42 (HR averaged 151) First 3 miles @ 8.13, next three at MP and averaged 7.44, and then three more that were supposed to be at HMP, and I completed them @ 7.10. Hardest session I've done in a while but I suppose thats more down to me not putting huge effort into previous midweek runs

Tue: 9 recovery miles @ 9.00 - HR 130

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Thanks for one of the best written logs on the forum. It's phenomenal mileage you're doing. I wish I had the time! What is your target for dcm?

Gavlor wrote: »
    Thanks for one of the best written logs on the forum. It's phenomenal mileage you're doing. I wish I had the time! What is your target for dcm?

Thanks. Plan is to give 3.30 a good shot. I have eight and a half minutes to improve so hopefully the training miles will pay off

Wed: 12 miles @ 7.59 (HR 149) Longer trip home from work that included Knockmaroon. Tried to keep pace a little stronger than previous weeks midweek runs

Thurs: 9 recovery miles @ 8.51 (HR 135)

Sat: 20.5 miles @ 8.56 (HR 142) Was awake with the birds so headed down to the park early. Did 6 on my own, then another 6 with Aimman, and then we were joined by macinalli for the next six. Good to have the company and chat but can't say this was easy! Not sure if it was the weather or the harder runs during the week. I went back out for the last two myself and tried to push the pace a bit harder but wasn't happening! Still first 20 miler of the plan done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Wed: 12 miles @ 7.59 (HR 149) Longer trip home from work that included Knockmaroon. Tried to keep pace a little stronger than previous weeks midweek runs

Thurs: 9 recovery miles @ 8.51 (HR 135)

Sat: 20.5 miles @ 8.56 (HR 142) Was awake with the birds so headed down to the park early. Did 6 on my own, then another 6 with Aimman, and then we were joined by macinalli for the next six. Good to have the company and chat but can't say this was easy! Not sure if it was the weather or the harder runs during the week. I went back out for the last two myself and tried to push the pace a bit harder but wasn't happening! Still first 20 miler of the plan done.

If any of ye guys interested in running lsr in Lucan on a early sat morning let us know. Have s 2 year old and pregnant wife so early is good.

If any of ye guys interested in running lsr in Lucan on a early sat morning let us know. Have s 2 year old and pregnant wife so early is good.

Most of the time I'm not the greatest for early on a Sat, but if I know I need to get the run done early I'll be sure to let you know. It's a great feeling to have 20 miles done by 11am!

Sun: 5 miles @9.12 HR 131

total for the week 64.5... First time over 60 miles in a week (probably never to be repeated!!)

Mon: 10.5 miles @ 7.40 (HR 158) Plan had 10 miles incl 6 at LT (10 mile race pace). I was on a day off so went to the park. Car thermometer was saying 24/25 degrees. I did the 4 or so miles warm up miles @ 7.50 pace. And the started the LT miles. Didn't find any of these easy and in the end only managed four of them. HR was showing the pace was tough with the heat not helping. Four miles went 6.55, 7.17, 7.07, 7.12. Took the two miles back to the car nice and easy and drank about two litres of water before I got going
    Tue: 12 miles @ 7.56 (HR 149) Home from work with Knockmaroon thrown in to wake me up if nothing else!
    Wed: 9 miles recovery back to work @ 9.05 (HR 132)
    Thurs: 9 miles home again @ 8.23 (142) It happened and that's about it!
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: With a bit of doubt around whether the park was going to be accessible with the motor races, I decided to do do something different and something I've been meaning to do for ages. So I took myself off to Glendalough to do my LSR. I'd never been down there so wasn't sure what lay in store other than knowing it would have plenty of hills. So I started off and the first 8 miles had a climb and descent of 1700ft. that excluded one section which was pretty much a stairs (just stopped the watch and walked this). Pace wasn't good either going up the climb or coming down. One up hill mile was a 14 minute mile with a HR hitting 170. Then first down hill section was on a boardwalk and this was slow as when you came upon someone I either had to step into the marshy bog, or wait til either I or the other person could stand on to the log joins (10.23 pace mile). Then the next downnhill section was hopping in, on and around rocks and stones (12.40 pace mile). Got back to a nice paved flat section then for the next three miles. Back to the car for a drink and then off up another hill but not as bad this time, with one mile climbing 400ft, then back to the flat section again from there and back to the car, and finished off with one lap of the car park (it'd be rude not to!!)
    Overall a tough run, but incredible views down there and lucky the weather was pretty nice for it too.
    18 miles @ 9.32 (Avg HR 146)
    Sun: 6.6 recovery miles @ 9.18 (HR 132)

Total for the week 65 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

That's great work TBW - takes a brave man to pick Glendalough as the venue for an 18 mile LSR!

macinalli wrote: »
    That's great work TBW - takes a brave man to pick Glendalough as the venue for an 18 mile LSR!
    Lets put it this way it's wasnt the wisest decision ive ever made!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Hills are speedwork in disguise. You will benefit greatly from this run. But why turn off the watch ? You time the length of time it takes to cover from A to B, just cause you have sections slower than you like , it still counts.:)

Advertisement