Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'll have a BQ please Bob

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

How's things going for you now Stephen?

I've just been reviewing your runs between Dublin HM and DCM in a bid to focus in my own training for the next 5 weeks. If it brings me even close to sub 3:15 I'll be over the moon!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

belcarra wrote: »
    How's things going for you now Stephen?

I've just been reviewing your runs between Dublin HM and DCM in a bid to focus in my own training for the next 5 weeks. If it brings me even close to sub 3:15 I'll be over the moon!

Bit of story of one step forward two back. I managed a 2.5 mile run last week @ something like 10.15 pace. No real problems with that per se.
    But when I do the strengthening routines like heel flicks and running backwards and changing direction I get a problem. Physio said I can keep doing the short and slow jogs, but not to increase pace/distance until I can do the other routines without pain.
    Just a bit bored and frustrated with it all. That said the 2.5 mile run in the rain last week was awesome!

Not sure if I did anything that wasn't in P&D for those 5/6 weeks pre DCM. Maybe the 16 mile run @ PMP isn't in the book, but I think it's a good one - 3 weeks out I think. LSR without gels/tablets (water only). Don't think I skipped any of the harder interval sessions.

How are you fixed now at this stage? Any more tune up races?

Bit of story of one step forward two back. I managed a 2.5 mile run last week @ something like 10.15 pace. No real problems with that per se.
    But when I do the strengthening routines like heel flicks and running backwards and changing direction I get a problem. Physio said I can keep doing the short and slow jogs, but not to increase pace/distance until I can do the other routines without pain.
    Just a bit bored and frustrated with it all. That said the 2.5 mile run in the rain last week was awesome!

Not sure if I did anything that wasn't in P&D for those 5/6 weeks pre DCM. Maybe the 16 mile run @ PMP isn't in the book, but I think it's a good one - 3 weeks out I think. LSR without gels/tablets (water only). Don't think I skipped any of the harder interval sessions.

How are you fixed now at this stage? Any more tune up races?

Your easy runs were probably a bit quicker than I'd have expected (7:4x). I think that got you used to running @ close to MP (late 7:2x's). I was probably taking my Easy runs a bit too slowly up til last week so I'm now aiming more towards your paces above.
    You did the requisiste Intervals but there doesn't seem to be too much LT stuff which surprises me.

I'm good for endurance at this stage but still need to work on speed. Running Tralee marathon on Sat (But not racing it. Will aim for 3:3x) and then Mallow 10 miler on Monday where I'm hoping to beat my soft PB (74:18). I figure running hard on tired legs should be good training.

Then the following week the WW Trail run which is more for fun than training! Debating racing a 10 miler/HM over Easter Weekend as a final marker for Rotterdam 2 weeks later. Need to find one first though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

I'm good for endurance at this stage but still need to work on speed. Running Tralee marathon on Sat (But not racing it. Will aim for 3:3x) and then Mallow 10 miler on Monday where I'm hoping to beat my soft PB (74:18). I figure running hard on tired legs should be good training.

Then the following week the WW Trail run which is more for fun than training! Debating racing a 10 miler/HM over Easter Weekend as a final marker for Rotterdam 2 weeks later. Need to find one first though!

That's some amount of races before your goal marathon! Any particular reason for squeezing so much in?

blockic wrote: »
    That's some amount of races before your goal marathon! Any particular reason for squeezing so much in?

I'm a believer in nothing gets effort out of you like a race! No hiding place for when things get tough and at this stage it's the sharpness I'm looking for.

• Advertisement

I'm a believer in nothing gets effort out of you like a race! No hiding place for when things get tough and at this stage it's the sharpness I'm looking for.

Racing is the best training alright. Obviously you wouldn't want to over do it. Personally I wouldn't race a HM two weeks before. I'd probably limit at 10k and make up other miles at LSR. If memory serves me right, Digger raced something not long before Berlin and could feel it on marathon day.

Racing is the best training alright. Obviously you wouldn't want to over do it. Personally I wouldn't race a HM two weeks before. I'd probably limit at 10k and make up other miles at LSR. If memory serves me right, Digger raced something not long before Berlin and could feel it on marathon day.

Ya, you might be right about HM being too much (Plus there doesn't seem to be any HM or 10m available that weekend!) so I might tie-in with the Kilmovee 10km while I'm down home in Mayo that weekend instead. McMillan says I'd need to be hitting 41:34 for that but that still sounds tough at the moment and current PB is 43:16! We shall see.
    Digger did Rathfarnham 5km the week before Berlin alright but sure he's ancient! :D

Injury/recovery update.

Back doing a bit of easy running. The heel kicks and backward running were just causing me problems, so physio cut them out, so just short easy runs to start with (along with all the stretching routines) and manage the tightness between runs. the next step was to try and shorten the number of days between runs and he's given me the go ahead to either lengthen the runs or quicken (but not both), so I'm going for the lengthen them and see how we go. I'd be happier to be getting out running for a couple of hours than get back to running fast 5ks.

runs have been going as follows:
    Mar 20th 2.5 miles @ 9.38
    Mar 24th 2 miles @ 9.24
    Mar 26th 3 miles @ 9.26
    Mar 30th 3.8 miles @ 9.19
    Stupidly sprinted after nephew on 31st and achilles flared up again, so was back icing and gave it an extra day or two
    Apr 3rd 3.8 miles @ 8.35
    Apr 5th 3 miles @8.48
    Apr 7th 5.2 miles @8.35

Still cycling as often as I can and spinning once or twice a week.
    Beginning to feel like I'm making a bit of progress, so just need to stay patient.

Only goal really is just to get in shape to finish Chicago in October. Everything else will just be a wait and see

So after trying a few runs and finding the pain and tightness returning almost as quick, I felt I needed to do something different as whatever rehab/guidance from the physio wasn’t helping greatly. I feel I’ve been patient and doing what I’m told and while I’d made some progress I didn’t feel I’d made enough progress as whatever the problem was/is, it wasn’t going away.
    So I went and visited a well regarded sports physio, and he suggested an MRI as he thought it was likely there was a partial tear of the right tendon. So off I went, got the MRI arranged and low and behold a minor partial tear it was.
    In addition he said I was pretty much a crock, with poor core strength, poor back, lower back and hip flexibility, weak glutes and ankle control. All of these factors along with the overuse resulting in the Achilles bearing the brunt.

So the plan for the next while is no running (will just have to wait and see how long), plenty of core, flexibility and stretching. Cycling and swimming allowed so that I keep the CV fitness. He even suggested I might be better returning as a triathlete as the multi disciplines would help take some of the stress/load off the achilles. I’m not convinced this is something I really want to do, but might have to for the next while in any event.

At this stage I’m pretty much weaned off the running, so I’m not too downbeat. I do get the occasional craving to go out for a run! The accountant in me is more annoyed at the amount I’ve spent with one physio to overlook/diagnose the extent of an injury and resulting rehab. I don’t enjoy cycling as much, but I’m cycling most days to work, spinning classes twice a week, and getting out for long spins on the bike at weekends. A few weeks back I signed up for a 140km cycle in Connemara, so I have that at the end of this month (dare I say it to look forward to). I’m swimming once a week too but that needs a lot of work.

So this running log’s hibernation will be ongoing for another few months! Really not sure whether Chicago marathon will happen at all for me, but that decision can be made later in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Total bummer; I don't know what to say S, but surely things can't be so bad that you're seriously contemplating being a Triathelete?

• Advertisement

Did he say how long it typically takes for a partial tear of a tendon to recover?
    You've been sidelined a long time by now so surely it should have returned to full health in that timeline?
    i understand tendons can take a long time but it must be nearly 6 months now, no??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Is it your achilles tendon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

So sorry to hear that S, I couldn't even get my head around not running two day in a row...
    Fingers crossed that everything will work out for you and that you will be Chicago bound before you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I'm delighted you finally have a diagnosis and hopefully you will make a full recovery in time. Chicago is a long time away so I wouldn't give up hope. Obviously you have to listen to the physio and follow his/her advice but don't be too concerned with the fact that "you're a crock... Poor core... Poor everything", certain physios (not necessarily your one) seem to forget that if you dragged just about anyone in off the street (except maybe acrobats) that they'd be told the same thing and runners tend to take good care of themselves. If you have the time and money I'd highly recommend yoga, get a recommendation from someone as I tried a few studios before I enjoyed it.
    Good luck!

menoscemo wrote: »
    Total bummer; I don't know what to say S, but surely things can't be so bad that you're seriously contemplating being a Triathelete?

I know, I did consider punching him there and then but I reckoned my crock of a body might fall apart if I did!:D
    Did he say how long it typically takes for a partial tear of a tendon to recover?
    You've been sidelined a long time by now so surely it should have returned to full health in that timeline?
    i understand tendons can take a long time but it must be nearly 6 months now, no??
    Physio isn't giving any time frames. Says its up to me about have seriously and dedicated I am to the rehab. First visit to physio was in Jan. Part of the resting/rehab to date will of course have benefited me but stretching the achilles from day 1 was the wrong thing to be doing. Should have given it a few weeks to repair before starting the stretches. I'm sure the MRI would have shown a more significant tear if I'd had it back in Jan. I'm okay if there's no running until the end of June. I'd rather get the thing right.
    If I do it right, I should be back stronger. That's the plan anyway.
    Is it your achilles tendon?
    Yep otherwise known as the stupid achilles!
    jcsmum wrote: »
    So sorry to hear that S, I couldn't even get my head around not running two day in a row...
    Fingers crossed that everything will work out for you and that you will be Chicago bound before you know it.
    I'm going to Chicago anyway! Flight already booked. Just whether I get the 26 mile trip in! It'll kill me if I go over and have to watch it, so I'll be doing my best to get out there!
    Marthastew wrote: »
    I'm delighted you finally have a diagnosis and hopefully you will make a full recovery in time. Chicago is a long time away so I wouldn't give up hope. Obviously you have to listen to the physio and follow his/her advice but don't be too concerned with the fact that "you're a crock... Poor core... Poor everything", certain physios (not necessarily your one) seem to forget that if you dragged just about anyone in off the street (except maybe acrobats) that they'd be told the same thing and runners tend to take good care of themselves. If you have the time and money I'd highly recommend yoga, get a recommendation from someone as I tried a few studios before I enjoyed it.
    Good luck!
    Yeah I was saying to a colleague I'd just like to know what the hell was wrong with it, and then I could get it fixed. So step 1 achieved.
    I know what you mean about most of us having something wrong with us... I was tempted to be a smart ass and say to him I'm not sure how I managed a 3.12 if I was that bad! I thought wiser of it!
    I did ask him about yoga and pilates but he said not to worry about that for the moment, that I had enough to do, but in time that would definitely help.

Thanks again. Onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Sorry to hear you're still in bother with the achilles S. That cycle in Connemara will keep you honest, enjoy it!

Advertisement