Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heart Don't fail me now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Not happening today - I am stuck in some crappy pub in Lucan sipping coffees trying to waste time for my next meeting. Now before you say i should have brought the gear a covered in sweat look isn't good for sales.

I may fit it in tomorrow but long run has to be on Saturday with Loughrea triathlon duties all sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Intervals tomorrow and long run Sunday from house to Loughrea! ;) I'll bring you home! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

pgibbo wrote: »
    Intervals tomorrow and long run Sunday from house to Loughrea! ;) I'll bring you home! :D

+1, miss the key sessions and your bunched for DCM. The tempo, interval and long run is the meat in the sandwich!!

Wednesday: An easy 8k around the local route.

Thursday:
    Nothing up in dublin for the day

Friday:
    Was a long work day I had hoped to get the interval run in at lunch but had to go into town for a work meeting at short notice, so it was hanging over me till 5 when I could get out. I am an awful man for getting something into my head wothout checking it and the session I had to do was 1k @ 4.20 with 60 seconds rest and then 2k @ 8 minutes with 2 minutes rest x 4 times. The 4.20 wasnt an issue but the 8 minutes for 2k was, I knew I would be on my limit from the 2nd set on. A final check of the sheet just before I went was mood changing when I relaised I was getting the 3 hour and 3.30 hour plan mixed up and I would only have to run the 2k's in 9 minutes. My mood improved immediately as I knew I would be able for that session.

Straight off while waiting for the Garmin to load the Heart rate was in the low 40's always a good sign for me to have a good run. They say you should always have room for one more interval after the session was over, I think I could have mustered one more alright. Kept the rt's all slightly under target time and came home after running just over 15k. I hate Intervals but slowly beginning to warm to them, I am trying to see them like fast swim sessions which I have no problem getting up for. AHR=154

Saturday LSR: A game of two halves, heart rate was in mid 60's setting out today and the legs and mood were tired. I don't like doing two tough runs back to back. The opening 6k was at 5.20 pace and this was no problem. The next 8k was at 5.00 pace and it wasn't long before I was feeling the strain. Got through this and stopped off in Keanes in Corofin for my usual drink.

Away again and the plan called for 3 x 15 minutes @ 4.45 pace with 5 minutes break which I rounded down to 3k @ 4.45 pace. While I made these times I certainly took longer breaks to recover, running a km at 6.00 minute pace between each set. Legs were wrecked. 27k at 5.09 pace AHR = 149

Came home to a very agitated Mrs C as Pudsey was carrying a high temperature and we all remember what happened the last time he had one. Straight into Westdoc where he has a sore throath but nothing too bad.

Over to Loughrea marshalling now for the triathlon - crap day but looks like it is improving. Hopefully will be home just in time for the hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Fair play on getting the 2 key session done at the weekend! That's 2 good days back to back. How are the legs after it?

• Advertisement

Good work CW but be careful stacking those key sessions back to back ideally i always like to have a day of easy in between to let the legs recover.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Fair play on getting the 2 key session done at the weekend! That's 2 good days back to back. How are the legs after it?

Not too bad, stiff sunday but fine today
    Good work CW but be careful stacking those key sessions back to back ideally i always like to have a day of easy in between to let the legs recover.

This will be a very rare occurrence, a combination of being short staffed at work, the club triathlon and a certain hurling match made it two hard runs in a row.

I probably would have skipped the intervals altogether except for being shamed into it on this log :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

CW what training plan are you using?

CW what training plan are you using?

Jackybacks plutonium enriched, dilithium crystal plan!

Monday Lunch: Mindful of tuesdays tempo run an easy 8k was the plan today - nice and easy and was pleased to see 5.03 pace for the route with an average heart rate of 137

Tuesday Lunch: On go the Kinvaras as tempo tuesday was upon me. If I was asked one of the runs I was most happiest with was a 75.xx time at the Clarinbridge 10 mile race a few years back. Besides a few marathons I have hardly ever done a running race on its own since. Finishing todays run at just over 1 hour and five minutes in fairly decent fettle, I realised that I would take a serious dent out of that time if I ever got around to doing one again. The distance suits me, i lack speed for the 5ks and I lack endurance for the marathons :rolleyes:

The plan called for 55 minutes at 4.45 pace and 10 minutes at 4.30 pace so I worked that around to be 12k at 4.45 and 2k at 4.30. Had an old Sasha and John Digweed mix ready to go and off I went. Seems to be the same every week, first few easy, middle few difficult and then flying towards the end of the run. I had plotted the route poorly and hit a decent headwind between the 9-13 which started to bring the heartrate up from the 140's. I am enjoying the tempo runs - while the legs are starting to feel it the breathing stayed nice and controlled throughout

Ended up from memory at around 4.42 pace for the 12k and than a 4.25 and 4.04 to finish. AHR = 152 Max = 172

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Nice run, assuming I did my conversions to miles correctly. I think you will see the dreaded intervals and tempos pay dividends for you at the marathon. You've got endurance if paced properly, and the fast stuff will add to what you already have. You gunning for a sub 3:30 I assume??

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    You gunning for a sub 3:30 I assume??

ahhh I don't know to be honest, i know myself how hard they are - no harm in training for that time though. Closer to the day itself I will have a better idea of what I can hold.

Wednesday Lunch: An easy 8k run, averaged around 5.20 pace for 134 heart rate.

Thursday Evening: An interval run I was actually looking forward to, a 5 x 2k @ 4.30 pace with 2 minutes recovery followed by one final k at 4.20. It was probably as I knew I would be well able for this that I didnt mind it.

Ran them all at around 4.20-4.25 pace, felt really strong on the 3rd rep for some reason and was going at around 4.15 pace for what seemed like very little effort but it kicked back a little on the 5th.

Worked myself into a lather for the last one kilometre with Sasha on the iphone grinding out the old hits, so off I went, started out at 3.45 pace but died a death and quickly decided that my poor achilles was acting up and cantered home for a 4.13 last k :o

I finally talked myself into entering the Galway Bay 1/2 Marathon in early October. Its a little near DCM but to hell with it. My mantra for next season is to race more so I might as well start now.

From the entrance search the mere sight of "The Fishmonger" and "The GAA friend" signed up was too much to resist. "The Fishmonger" has been texting me his latest races results as he knows all of them are better than mine. "The GAA Friend" is training for the Dublin marathon as well. Two of the most competitive people I know so I will be gunning for them. A sub 1.40 should be enough to send the Fishmonger packing but "The GAA Friend" may well be quicker than that.

Anyways as you can see I am looking forward to it, I think its this race two years ago when I last raced this distance with a swim and bike before it

CW your obviously not doing the half this weekend which is scheduled in the plan, any possibility of a route you could pick to run a half to see how you go? If not i will mail you a long progression run to do instead.
    Good pace on the intervals tonight.

CW your obviously not doing the half this weekend which is scheduled in the plan, any possibility of a route you could pick to run a half to see how you go? If not i will mail you a long progression run to do instead.
    Good pace on the intervals tonight.

Good man - I am a bit worried endurance wise with only a 12 week programme coming into this so I was going to run 18 miles, I will leave it up to you for the pace of it! Lets leave the 13.1 till October 6th, I am not the best for pushing myself on my own anyways so the 13.1 time may not be accurate

catweazle wrote: »
    Good man - I am a bit worried endurance wise with only a 12 week programme coming into this so I was going to run 18 miles, I will leave it up to you for the pace of it! Lets leave the 13.1 till October 6th, I am not the best for pushing myself on my own anyways so the 13.1 time may not be accurate

Whats the longest run so far?

A smidge over 16 was the longest

A smidge over 16 was the longest

pm sent. The 2 peak weeks in the final block will have you around 32-34km.

Friday: 8k recovery run at about 5.56 pace. Legs were tired and was glad it was just trotting mileage today

Saturday: With Mrs C and Pudsy off into town to meet the girls, I was able to pack up and head somewhere new for the run. Haven't done Renville Park in ages so off I went, was mad going past the gym, I should have brought the swim gear for a dip afterwards.

The run today was 50 minutes at 5.20, 45 minutes at 5.00 and then 40 minutes at 4.45 pace. There is a nice little loop around the area which is around 8k but can be stretched out to just under 10k so this would suit perfect for a water stop at the car after each one.

Got through the first 2 ok, 50 minutes @ 5.16 and 45 minutes @ 4.54. Had a decent feeling about the last one too and picked a route that the last k would be uphill. I was close to breaking at 4k but a rousing rendition of an old Sex Kitchen song, aptly titled I'm Stomping followed by bang.......to the beat of the drum......bang.....bang (another old school classic). Got me to 30 minutes and I knew I had the back broken of the run at that stage.

As I hit 35 minutes, I spotted the wifes uncle coming towards me walking the dog, a brief moment of indecision on whether I would stop or not was quickly shelved when I realised I may be putting our yearly holiday in his pad in Portugal in jeopardy if I didn't stop. I was happy I could have finished it out anyways and was not using him as an excuse. So 5 minutes talking about the hurling and patting his dog and I was away to finish the last bit of the run. 40 minutes @ 4.42 pace

Sunday: A late night watching the film "The Raid", I love my action films and by god this is action from the first minute - this was very much probably the best fight scenes I have seen in an action movie.......ever!

Coupled with a very early morning bringing the young lad for his sunday dip in the pool with a Nightmare day mowing the lawn so just ran down to the bridge and back for 5k at 5.40 pace recovery run. Legs felt good - no stiffness at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Nice work on the Saturday run. Mind me asking when your peak weeks will be?

Was that you that blitzed past me on the Maree road? I was doing same session going the other way back to Oranmore & Kilcolgan.

Nice work, well done.

• Advertisement

Basster wrote: »
    Nice work on the Saturday run. Mind me asking when your peak weeks will be?

I don't really know to be honest :D. I get my schedule in four week blocks - I have a 30k next week and a 34k at some other stage, followed by a recovery week. I will be asking my "coach" given that I have a PB grudge match 1/2 Marathon the following week on the 6th, should I do 30k this weekend and the 34k the following week, leaving the race at the fag end of a recovery week

Was that you that blitzed past me on the Maree road? I was doing same session going the other way back to Oranmore & Kilcolgan.

I don't think so I assume I would have recognized you, plus I was wearing a white Loughrea Triathlon 2010 t-shirt which you would have pegged, there were a couple of guys in the park all right doing hill repeats but that was about it. There was a burial going on when I was around there

Maree/The Park is a lovely run over with a few testing drags, I don't get a chance often to drive anywhere for the run due to time constraints with the young lad. Have you gone out and around the old castle down by the shore, its a handy extra km or so to add on if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Emmmm - does that mean you're also on JBs special Gold Level plan?;):)

I'm following a P+D plan myself and just feel ordinary compared to this 'coached' version!

Good work CW (and AKW:rolleyes:) - Keep it going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

great work, this will be no problems to you.
    RedB wrote: »

Reb I dont know about you but I am starting to feel left out, did we do something wrong :(

RedB wrote: »

I'm following a P+D plan myself and just feel ordinary compared to this 'coached' version!

Good work CW (and AKW:rolleyes:) - Keep it going :)

Curiosity got the better of me. Turns out it dovetailed nicely with my own training so I've adopted / adapted me to the plan. I needed a kick in the backside.

I don't think so I assume I would have recognized you, plus I was wearing a white Loughrea Triathlon 2010 t-shirt which you would have pegged, there were a couple of guys in the park all right doing hill repeats but that was about it. There was a burial going on when I was around there

Maree/The Park is a lovely run over with a few testing drags, I don't get a chance often to drive anywhere for the run due to time constraints with the young lad. Have you gone out and around the old castle down by the shore, its a handy extra km or so to add on if needed

Its a great area. Lived in the Village for a while and the woods & park were my playground through the bad winter. Running from Kilcolgan again this week and will take the old loops in for the extra few km's.

Monday: Seeing as I was in up in the office I finagled a visit to Knockma after work. I was caught for time - not sure but I assume the roadworks after Tuam are for the new extension of the motorway to Gort. Pain in the ass. Got to Knockma and only had time for two loops at this stage. Knockma is a circular loop up and down a steep hill, there is a fork right at the start go left and its a quick death with a wicked steep short slope go right and its less steep but much longer. I decided to go right both times, the first one was tough as I haven't ran it in months but as I expected the legs had adapted and the 2nd one I was much more in control. Took the descents handy as the stones were wet. 6.5k @ 5.40 pace.

Tuesday:
    A hour 25 minute tempo run 60 minutes @ 4.45 pace and 10 minutes @ 4.30 pace, this was a lunch run so I couldn't do the dog on it, so a few stretches while chatting to a client on skype for the warm up (I have no webcam) and out the door I went straight after.

Started out the first 3k at 4.29 pace, I felt great but I could see the heart rate had gone into the 160's so I dialed it back a bit and the heart rate seemed to settle into the low to mid 150's at low 4.40's pace. Nothing more eventful for the next few k, until I hit the turnaround point and it started to lash, was worried about the iphone getting wet but I had settled into a lovely rhythm of low 4.40's and I wanted to keep going. It stopped after a few minutes luckily.

Ran 13k in 61 minutes so then 2k at 4.30 pace to finish, first one was at 4.20 and the second one at 4.09, protein shake and then straight up the stairs to the office to waggle my mouse around the screen and then a quick shower. Totals 13k @ 4.41 pace and 2k at 4.15 AHR = 155 Max = 175

Wednesday: An easy recovery run at lunchtime. 8k @ 5.40 pace for 129 heart rate

Showing my age but while lounging on the couch watching Champions League, I jumped up when I got the dinner call. I am not sure but I seemed to pull something on my side. Didn't sleep very well - while not too sore it was a little uncomfortable.

Thursday: It felt a little better this morning, with an all day work event in Dublin on saturday, I said I would take today off and do the interval run on friday and the lsr on sunday.

Friday:
    Stomach not bothering me today although I felt very lethargic all day. I finally said I would give the intervals a shot at lunchtime. As soon as i started to swing the arms the muscles were at me so I walked back to the house. Just after getting word that I don't have to go to Dublin tomorrow but I had cancelled a long days stone picking in a friends new garden over it. Now have the choice to do that tomorrow and hope it wont feck up the run on sunday (if the stomach improves)

On a side note having read all the TK Maxx Sugoi deals on the cycling board I rushed in at lunch time, alas some pricy jackets were all that were there, very close to buying a long sleeved jersey but backed off when i realized there were no back pockets

Dont go stone picking if you are running Sunday. Your back and hamstrings will be in tatters. Trust me.

• Advertisement

Dont go stone picking if you are running Sunday. Your back and hamstrings will be in tatters. Trust me.

+1 and running with stones in your pockets & shoes is not fun:) is stone picking some country folk ritual?

Advertisement