Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heart Don't fail me now

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

+1 and running with stones in your pockets & shoes is not fun:) is stone picking some country folk ritual?

I thought we'd have to explain to Dory what stone picking was but I'm disappointed in you JB :)

ps I only know what it is as I married a culchie who did this as a kid along with things like using her communion money to buy a couple of calfs for fattening and selling on. I really missed out growing up in Dublin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

+1 and running with stones in your pockets & shoes is not fun:) is stone picking some country folk ritual?
    griffin100 wrote: »
    I thought we'd have to explain to Dory what stone picking was but I'm disappointed in you JB :)

ps I only know what it is as I married a culchie who did this as a kid along with things like using her communion money to buy a couple of calfs for fattening and selling on. I really missed out growing up in Dublin :)

Come 'ere, I'm a Dub! Just to keep the record straight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

griffin100 wrote: »

I had to read "stone picking" a few times before I was sure it was not a typo. Still not sure what it is, but I assume based on the context that it's picking stones out of a garden to make better soil to plant things in?? Which then begs the question: CW, WTF????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Wikipedia = Stone picking is the process of removing stones and rocks from a garden or farmer's field. It can be done by hand, by passing the soil through a sieve, or by machine.
    I think a bigger culchie trait is the pride in the lawn syndrome, even along my road you can spot the townies moved out by their push lawnmowersand often unkempt grass. All the culchies have ride-ons and snooker table lawns.

If a single blade of grass on my lawn goes beyond an inch in length the brother in law starts bitching to the mother in law who takes the wife aside calling the garden a disgrace :mad: (I couldn't give a sh1te about the lawn personally as long as it isn't overgrown)

Needless to say another lawn incident happened this weekend, I am still having trouble with my stomach and wanted to put off the grass until after a long run attempt on the sunday. This didn't go down well with the brother in law who loans me his trailer to get rid of the grass so I usually need to fit in with his timelines which this week was a saturday and he wouldn't drop it over on the sunday even though he lives next door.

So two hours of mowing later I could feel the tightness as I was lugging the grass over the sides so once again giving up the slow run I was planning on Saturday. I have been complaining about not having my own trailer all summer and was positively fuming and I finally think the hassle got through to Mrs C - so some good came out of it and in the end of it all I have been finally given the all clear to get my own trailer and to hell with what her family think of snubbing the bro in laws one.

Started to feel very cold saturday night which has been a little symptomatic of the last few days, either a feeling of being a bit run down or a cold or something is coming so went to bed early.

A brief discussion that night with Mrs C who said I was a fool to be thinking of stuffing myself with painkillers to run 30k, and I eventually agreed. I will be given the pass to go tomorrow if I feel up to it. So a fairly innocuous injury has kept me out from running since wednesday.

I have to get back swimming - none of these tweaks and twinges things ever happened when I was swimming regularly

I don't know what a culchie is, but I can google.....and I assume the trailer is a lawn mower? One question, and I don't mean to stir up trouble or appear negative in any way, but do Irish women not mow the grass?? :confused:

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I don't know what a culchie is, but I can google.....and I assume the trailer is a lawn mower? One question, and I don't mean to stir up trouble or appear negative in any way, but do Irish women not mow the grass?? :confused:

In the city yes I would expect her to chip in but out here I would be a pariah if she was spotted doing it. In fairness I have a push lawnmower and with the lawn being circa 1/2 acre it would be a fairly big effort for her to push that around for a few hours let alone pull the cord fast enough to start it up in the first place.

No a trailer is a large box with a hitch that can attach itself to the back of a car that has a towbar. You are probably thinking of a ride on Dory which is the Ferrari of Lawn mowers (one that you can sit on)

This is the bad boy I am eying up for example purposes

View2-14190023.jpeg

Oh, i see. Out here in the country women definitley share the lawn duties. I tried once, but hubby did not think my mowing skills were up to par nor had potential so I am forbidden to come near the heavy equipment. Fine with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Love the trailer argument description catweazle, it is just so Irish! This idea that you need to begrudgingly hit a relative to borrow a trailer (or ladder, or power drill, or whatever), but woe betide should you emasculate that relationship by buying your own!:D

By the way, theirs some great ride-ons in the States. I once went house-hunting in upstate New York, we saw the neighbours cutting their lawn- two his'n'hers ride-on behemoths, one doing the back, one the front.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

So did you run on Sunday???

BTW, not sure that trailer would be a good idea. The timber base would rot to hell after 1 season of grass! :eek: There'll be a lot of grass going in to it once you drop it at mine after you cut yours! :rolleyes:

Put mesh sides on it and we could all have a go of it. Be a communal trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

do we not realise that its winter out, there is only 1 or 2 cuts left in the grass. also would you not get a compost area for the grass, and use it as fertiliser for next years rose's?
    Or do as I do and throw it over the fence to the horses

^^ Gery Daly reckons there'll be growth this year until December.

The farmer next door to me wasn't too happy when some grass was thrown over so that's out of bounds. Same happened to CW.

I want a compost area buy OH won't allow it. No arguing with her so I add at least 30mins to each cut by walking to and fro to dump the grass next door in a communial area :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

pgibbo wrote: »

The farmer next door to me wasn't too happy when some grass was thrown over so that's out of bounds. Same happened to CW.

I want a compost area buy OH won't allow it. No arguing with her so I add at least 30mins to each cut by walking to and fro to dump the grass next door in a communial area :mad:

Lucky you :rolleyes: Mine goes in the bin :o €€€€

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

RedB wrote: »
    Lucky you :rolleyes: Mine goes in the bin :o €€€€

I love my compost bin. Too much grass makes it too sludgy though. I'm not allowed mow the lawn either as I apparently do it wrong :rolleyes: though I am in charge of weeds. That's grand. I've even cultivated a nice little nettle patch for caterpillars :D

anyhow... back to Catweazle. I was on the verge of asking you to jump into the river with me someday but I'm managed to line up a friend for a lough hackett swim so you're off the hook.
    I started with the masters last night. Loved it. :)

I have a rented field, with a bunch of starved horses owned by travelers and they dont mind what I give them (as long as there is no ragworth in it)
    We dont know if the horses are going to be left there or sent to the "french market"

Didn't realise you were there last night. Which lane were you in? Great crowd there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Didn't realise you were there last night. Which lane were you in? Great crowd there

i was at the tail end of the slow lane :) Didn't spot you...wouldn't know you anyway!.
    I'll look out for you next week. I was delighted to be able to manage it all.. slowly :). The kick stuff kills me !

Seems to be a lot of frustrated gardeners in the tri logs. Suffice to say all was peace and quiet till a new farmer started renting the field adjoining us and called into us and asked us not to be putting the grass over the walls from now on :( Compost heap is a big no no for mother and daughter so thats not up for discussion.

I am not going to even get into the family politics over the strimmers.
    littlebug wrote: »
    I started with the masters last night. Loved it. :)

Well done, its something I would love to do but the time its held at just kills me as regards going and even if we had the sunday roast a bit earlier I doubt I could even float after it let alone swim.

No long run yesterday Gibbo, I popped a painkiller before lunch and managed to run the local loop for just under 8k at 5.30 pace. Its not a bit comfortable though, even though as soon as I stopped running I couldn't feel it. Going to write off last week as a recovery week and a poor one at that and see can I get through the tempo run tomorrow, if not I will have to get someone to take a look at it

With two painkillers down me and a liberal spraying of Deep Heat I set out on my tempo run, within 50ms down the road and the pain worse than yesterday I decided what the feck am I at......... I am only making it worse and walked back to the house.

Looks like my running career is going to be shelved and I am back to the triathlon training again. I haven't bothered going to the physio but from every internet doctors advice I have googled it looks like rest is what is prescribed in all cases for an abdominal strain. So no more running till the pain goes away.

Whilst this is a total pain as regards the Dublin Marathon I am not overly bothered yet, I know I was running well and I don't need a Dublin Marathon time to confirm that.

Bit late for the pool now - but lunch will be used to get the shed ready for the Pussywagons reappearance and I will see if I can blag a visit to the pool later and see if I can swim unfettered

Tough luck CW :(

• Advertisement

Is it your lower abs that hurt?? If so, I had a similar issue and it took a few months to totally heal (started hurting immediately after the marathon in April....healed this summer while tri training). I'm fine now, but while it was an issue it even hurt when I did flip turns in the pool. Rest up....and enjoy the training you do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Bummer :(

At least it wasn't an A race and like you say, you know you're running well so just shelve that thought until you next need it for Tri training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Sorry to hear that CW you were going well.

sorry CW, thats a true pain. you should be able to build on your running for next season.

Advertisement