Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heart Don't fail me now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

pgibbo wrote: »
    Sounds like all you were missing was a bottle of Buckfast!!! :D

Yes it was a bit of an old school tour alright although I didn't climb the monkey tree in Salthill Park
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    So, there's a dress code on the prom?? Shoes and shirt required??? ;)

Not at all but I would be running past old schoolfriends, neighbours etc etc, you would be the talk of the town if you were spotted running "half naked" down the prom.

Never sh1t on your own doorstep is an old saying around here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

catweazle wrote: »
    Not at all but I would be running past old schoolfriends, neighbours etc etc, you would be the talk of the town if you were spotted running "half naked" down the prom.

Never sh1t on your own doorstep is an old saying around here ;)

The talk of the town couldn't be all bad based on how fit you looked in your post race photo. Maybe you'd be more of a traffic hazard. ;)

Monday Lunch: An easy recovery run - average pace 8.50 for just under 5 miles. AHR = 129

Tuesday Lunch: I was sure at some stage that I would run past a few lads sitting on a wall with the football chant of you don't know what you are doing. I have a decent run planned for tomorrow but with the good weather that was in it and am conscious of an all day work outing to Dublin on thursday. I said I would go out and do something.

About five minutes into a slow 8.50 mile I settled on that I would run to Z2, took me a while to get the heart rate up to the 150's but the legs were a bit tired. Towards the end of the 10k as per usual these days I felt great and pushed it into the 160's for the last few minutes. Finished up at 7.50 pace for 6.3 miles AHR = 145. Need to get some more structure into these sessions as I am sure I will be able to run most days

Downloaded some clubland CD mix which turned out to be Europop at its worst, with mixes of Whitneys Houstons I wanna dance with somebody and 3 or 4 songs of which could only have been Scooter - terrible stuff altogether

Wednesday Lunch: Conscious of my endurance and having taken some constructive advice from last years plan I added at a late stage a decent midweek run. So I am going to do these again from the start this time. A slightly extended lunch got me in for 8 miles at 8.08 pace.

Lashing rain and had to run back to the house fairly soon into it as the iphone was not going to stay dry. After two weeks of 30+ weather in Portugal and another decent week of sun here, I had forgotten how much I enjoy running in the rain. Started off slow at 8.30 pace but with a rest day tomorrow I was mad for road and ended up running the last 3 miles or so well below sub 8 pace for an 8.08 pace for 8.3 miles. Forgot the hrm but it was all relatively comfortable.

On another note, the wife is loving me being around in the morning and after work - have to be careful here or the double sessions later on in the winter will be in trouble

Thursday: OFF

Friday:
    Again another bit of a half assed session - I think with the Furman/Runners World plan leaves me too open to aimless sessions. I will have a look at a more focused plan over the weekend. With me not cycling or swimming at the moment I have more time for running than I ever did so three planned sessions isn't enough.

Anyways I set out and feeling good went along at a decent clip - garmin beeps at the first mile and I was at 7.38, why not pick it up for a second mile and I have a somewhat reppish run going on I thought to myself so second mile was around 7.10ish from memory.

Shut up shop for a mile to recover but I was pleased to see mile 3 ended up at 7.57 even though I thought I was going slow. Picked it up again for mile 4, towards the end I was at 7.08 pace and I thought its been a long time since I saw a 6.xx on the clock so gunned it for the last few meters to take it in at 6.58. Was well shagged and hobbled home for the rest of the run so 4.7 miles at 7.38 pace. AHR = 154 Max = 179

Saturday: This was a struggle legs were still heavy from yesterday. I had stayed up too late with babysitting duty, watching AntiChrist on Film 4. Christ it was slow going but i was determined to see the violent scenes scene near the end which I immediately regretted :eek:

I was going to cut it short at 6 miles but ran 8 in the end as planned. Low heart rate but legs felt heavy 8 miles at 8.37 pace AHR = 134

Sunday: I didn't bother with the compression tights yesterday and the legs didnt feel great this morning. I wasn't looking forward to this weeks long run, 16 miles was a big jump from 13 last week. Shortly into this run I decided I was feeling great, loitering around 8.20 pace and the heart rate stayed in the 130's till around the ten mile mark. I started to find it a bit more testing at the 12 mark and took a rotton lemon and lime powerbar gel that I got at some race. I was delighted to bump into a friend on the road at this stage which gave me a nice five minute break.

I had got lazy and didn't plan my route so the last mile involved running past the house and back which I hate as I often just cut it short and head in the door. I had picked up the pace slightly for the last three and ran the last one at 7.58 pace, heart rate had gone up into the low 160's at this point.

So an enjoyable run up to a point and then the last mile or two became a slog. Back to 15 miles next week which is good news though. :) 16 miles at 8.17 pace. AHR=136 Max = 164

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

Strange movie but with a pretty eye watering end.

• Advertisement

griffin100 wrote: »
    Strange movie but with a pretty eye watering end.

I had actually found the start the most disturbing part of it with the toddler, beautifully choreographed scene with the music and the black and white footage. I had not expected the 2nd bit of that mutilation scene thought it was over with Dafoes so that gave me a shock.

Was thoroughly lost by the end of it though - I should stick to my action and martial arts movies :rolleyes:

Monday: I was up at a funeral in Leenane, lovely weather and it did get me thinking that I would like to do that swim in oct. Info here

I will have a think about it, timing is good as I will be in taper mode and we have friends up there that we have been meaning to visit for years - if I could talk Mrs C into making use of her wetsuit out in the shed used once in 3 years it might be a runner!

Recovery run - ambled down to the bridge and back for 5k.

Tuesday: With a work trip to Dublin tomorrow I was going to do the mid week long run today. Took a slightly sneaky long lunch. As its a rest day tomorrow I decided to run 9 miles in Z2, felt good besides wearing a jacket as I wanted to protect the ipod from rain. Of course it held off so I was sweating buckets half way through it.

Ran well - 9 miles at 7.44 pace. AHR =151

As an aside, I have been meaning to purchase a pair of Kinvaras for a long time, I liked the look of them when I saw Ronanmac wearing them a few yars ago at a duathlon. Reduced to 49 sterling on Start fitness over the weekend so I waded in. 10 pounds delivery was a bit of a pain but I will get nailed if I added to the list with a pair of bib tights, balaclava and some overshoes for my well intentioned upcoming winter cycling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Monday: I was up at a funeral in Leenane, lovely weather and it did get me thinking that I would like to do that swim in oct. Info here

oooohhh....that looks good! Might make the 750 my first big swim thing :) if I'm free that weekend :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

littlebug wrote: »
    oooohhh....that looks good! Might make the 750 my first big swim thing :) if I'm free that weekend :rolleyes:

There's a charity swim at Kilbeg pier (Headford) next week littlebug if you fancy it. It's a pir to pier swim and back. There are boats to bring people back if they only swim one way. It's 500m or 1k return.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

What about this one? A bit longer but that means more value for money :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

pgibbo wrote: »
    There's a charity swim at Kilbeg pier (Headford) next week littlebug if you fancy it. It's a pir to pier swim and back. There are boats to bring people back if they only swim one way. It's 500m or 1k return.

I saw that. I didn't realise there was a one way option.I think it's too soon though. I can swim 1000m in the pool but that's slowly and with breaks. I did a few short OW sea swims a few weeks ago but only one with wetsuit and found it quite hard (don't know if it's me or the aldi suit :o) but 7 weeks to the GF one gives time to figure it out and work on it and to soften the blow if I buy a new suit! I also plan on joining the masters group when it starts again so overall swim and stamina should improve by oct too :). I might go over for a look though to see what I'm getting into.... :eek:

and besides I've already registered for the Killary one !

griffin100 wrote: »
    What about this one? A bit linger but that means more value for money :D

Farrrr too long for me :D and too far away !

@catweazle.... sorry for hijack :o

littlebug wrote: »
    and besides I've already registered for the Killary one !

Well done - I bet you wouldn't have pictured pressing the register now on something like that a year ago

Deffo a multisport (tri) log now - you need to move it over here

Keep an eye out for a triathlon wetsuit - good time to get one as they will be clearing the stock for next year. Theres no comparision with an Aldi suit - thats for mainly keeping you warm - a tri wetsuit will give you some extra help

Worth popping down to Lough Hackett too littlebug. Check the Tri Lakes site or FB page. There's people swimming there a few nights a week.

I'd highly recomment Tuam Masters. Congrats on signing up to Killary :cool:

Wednesday: Nothing

Thursday: After receiving a marathon plan from a helpful Jackyback (dont know how you have time to be mentoring a club along with all that training). I finally decided to bite the bullet and do some interval training. I have been studiously avoiding these type of runs for years as I hate going into the red.

Hence going around in bad form all day - as I had it hanging over me. There was no way I was going to dive straight into 6 x 1 @ 4.20 and then 2 x 1.5 @ 4 minutes off 60 seconds recovery so I compromised and did the 6 x 4.20. All finished in around 4.10-4.15 and in truth they weren't that bad although not quiet so easy to persuade me to do the 1.5 x 2. 9k done in total AHR=162

Friday:
    Just a short 8k lunchtime run, took it easy, 8k @ 5.09 pace with HR at 137. I met the postman with my new Saucony Kinvaras and I was delighted to see I was home alone when I walked in with them. I splurged again on CRC this morning on some more clothes (great sale) so I was delighted to get the shoes through customs in the green channel without being searched. At least she will only catch me for one purchase at worst now as I have so many runners on the go she wont have a clue once they are added to the pile (shoe box hidden in attic);).

All going well the Kinvaras will be the marathon shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Happy Birthday catweazle!!!! And a big WOO HOO just for you!! :D

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Happy Birthday catweazle!!!! And a big WOO HOO just for you!!

Whaaa - ehhhh, how the hell............oh yes Facebook, thanks - 38 the clock is ticking :o

Saturday AM: Pushed the long run forward as I was going to a friends house for dinner with the young lad and all so a run tomorrow might be in jeopardy. Straight off the legs were groaning as I set out, probably yesterdays run was a little fast for a recovery run

I just went from the house out the back roads towards Corofin for 7.5 miles and then turned around and came home. While heart rate was low, the legs were a bit stiff, got to the turnaround at 5.13 minute pace.

Felt much better on the way back and started averaging just under 5 minute pace to come home with an overall pace of 5.06 for the 15 miles. Last k or two the legs started to stiffen up heart rate had started to creep into the 160's at this stage too. . AHR = 144

Sunday: After staggering to bed at 3.30 am and the little man bright eyed and bunny tailed at 6.15, surprise surprise the day was a write off. Had my first fry in years and had my first takeaway in almost the same length of time. A Vindaloo from the local Indians which wasn't hot enough - I can eat fire!

Woke up this morning and have now sprained my neck getting out of bed so am hobbling around quasimodo like - ah the joys of late 30's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

merry belated birthday sir.

you're pushing on old man!!!!! :rolleyes:

This blasted stiff neck issue put me out of kilter way longer than expected. Monday was a write off and I tried a run on the tuesday but after a kilometre or so of staring at my feet while hobbling along I gave up and walked back.

I then got the green card to go swimming that evening if she dropped the little man down later for a dip - again I couldn't breathe to the right but I could breathe to the left - it felt uncomfortable though and I binned it after 800 metres for the Jacuzzi for fear I was aggravating it.

Wednesday was an all day work trek down to Cork.

Thursday
    - finally a run. The auld one arriving at lunch time with some type of kids bike seat attachment for the birthday screwed me for the planned run but I got out later. I am a bit sceptical looking at this contraption - its certainly not going on the pussywagon anyways. Whenever I get my road bike back off the sister perhaps I will look at it

I probably looked a bit like the action man doll running down the road, absolutely no head movement to either side but plenty of eyes rolling to the left and right. It was still a bit tender but shag it I haven't done anything since saturday. I didnt have any Revelatory experience with the new Kinvaras, they feel less cushioned than my other shoes is about all I can say.

Got through it with a little spurt into 4.40's towards the end to take me into 4.58 pace for the 8k. Should be ok from now on neck seems to be easing slightly every day. A terrible weeks training with me going out on the lash on saturday night as well, sunday will be a write off. A step back week though so could have been worse

On another note I got an apologetic email from CRC with delays on my cycling shorts - a thunderous and suitably outraged email back complaining that I wont have my new K-Swiss bib shorts for my big sportive outing this weekend got me a 5 pound voucher as an apology :D

Friday: A slightly longer run than thursdays effort. 13k at 5.06 average AHR= 142

Saturday: Pushed the long run forward a day with a big night out with the lads planned. The comments and digs about never going out reached a cescrendo among the lads so a night on the lash is the only way to appease them for another month. As per usual the grass took hours as I had let it go too long. Sometimes I think a ride on would have been a better purchase than a TT bike. Theres just too much lawn for one man a push lawnmower.

Finally got out, the plan called for a 10k race so i just was going to do 21k instead, gave up after 18, blowing a gale and lashing down. Finished at 5.05 pace pace AHR=142

Sunday:
    Needless to say nothing done, its tough with a young lad, falling into bed at 3.30 and he up and away at 6.15. Had to have three attempts at making his porridge before getting it right :o

Monday: Nothing again, I was working in Castlebar and was going to sneak into Knockma after work for some hill running on the way home but it was Mrs c's birthday so I thought better of it and went home

Tuesday:
    A look at the tempo run today made me groan, 50 minutes at 4.45 and then 5 at 4.30. I was going to do an easy one to build into it and do this tomorrow but I am in castlebar tomorrow and all day in dublin thursday so I better get the important sessions in while I had the chance. It wasn't too bad, easy at first then hard and then as per usual seemed to be ok towards the last few k again, couldn't find the hr strap so no stats there but i was working hard nd came in overall at 4.42 pace for the 55 minutes. Got Aldis finest compression gear in the sale last week so I am top to toe in compression gear which isn't the sexiest look. The medium shorts are too big and the medium top is too small :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good work on the tempo run.

Good work on the tempo run.

Thanks - while i have been doing them I think I was more race pace for them so the extra bit of pace will hopefully stand to me.

As an aside is thursdays intervals correct?? I see approx 1.20 to do them but whats prescribed will take nowhere near as long as that - is it missing a section or is it just the time is wrong*.

* secretly hoping time is wrong - i hate intervals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

As an aside is thursdays intervals correct?? I see approx 1.20 to do them but whats prescribed will take nowhere near as long as that [/SIZE]

Are you looking at the Rest Interval between intervals :confused:

RedB wrote: »
    Are you looking at the Rest Interval between intervals :confused:

Ya JB doesn't really rate you or Oryx as you have no chance of sub 3.30 but I got the golden ticket for the gold level plans :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Ya JB doesn't really rate you or Oryx as you have no chance of sub 3.30 but I got the golden ticket for the gold level plans :D

Oh really! So he didn't let you know about the PLATINUM level plan that I'm working off of :D

(Fancy another Mai Tai there JB? - There's another one in it for you if you can hold back CW as well as Oryx!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

good work so far and you will be wel set for the start line.

Thanks - while i have been doing them I think I was more race pace for them so the extra bit of pace will hopefully stand to me.

As an aside is thursdays intervals correct?? I see approx 1.20 to do them but whats prescribed will take nowhere near as long as that - is it missing a section or is it just the time is wrong*.

* secretly hoping time is wrong - i hate intervals

I think you are misreading it:) It is 4x(1km & 2km reps at the planned pace and jog/recovery interval. Sorry to burst your bubble:D
    RedB wrote: »
    Oh really! So he didn't let you know about the PLATINUM level plan that I'm working off of :D

(Fancy another Mai Tai there JB? - There's another one in it for you if you can hold back CW as well as Oryx!)

Oryx is on the diamond encrusted plan, yer both screwed :)

Plans are working well as we have 40 from the club aiming for DCM and most set 5k, 5mile and 10k pbs during the Frank Duffy 10miler a while back. The coach must be awesome:)

I think you are misreading it:) It is 4x(1km & 2km reps at the planned pace and jog/recovery interval. Sorry to burst your bubble:D

Ouch - Thats certainly not what I was thinking with my rose tinted glasses on (thought the 2km was just one at the end of the session)

Ouch - Thats certainly not what I was thinking with my rose tinted glasses on (thought the 2km was just one at the end of the session)

No sure that would be easy. HTFU and SIU buttercup:)

• Advertisement

So how did the intervals go buttercup????? :D

Advertisement