Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heart Don't fail me now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I must be the only man relatively sticking to an Ironman plan 15 weeks in that is heavier than when he started. I am flucutating around 82kgs which is 2kg heavier than my usual weight. When I look at El D's 75kgs and himself about a foot taller than me something has to give. So I am going to give some salads a go for the next while when I have a chance. Todays lunch was some leftover Salmon with tomatoes and onions, I could have eaten the laptop when I went back up to the office

Tuesday AM: A 1000m splash about in the pool with a few drills to get me used to the water again. A rare busy morning with the kids off there were a few in.

Tuesday Evening: The plan called for 1 hour Z2 with 5 x 5 minutes hard with 3 recovery. I condensed this into 45 minutes as I was on a promise. Found them tough to hold and was fighting hard on the last one. AHR = 134 Max = 164

Wednesday AM: A shortish session today with main set of 4 x 108 of 1.50 and 4 x 108 off 2.00 and 4 x 108 catch up of 2.30. I didn't hold the 1.50's swam a 1.38 first 108 and was struggling there after. Held the other sets comfortably though. A Galway Tri club swimmer in there with me today - good swimmer, very little kick but still held a great body position

Wednesday Lunch:
    Another 40 minutes on the turbo where I just did 4 minutes hard every 10. It was a thrown together session as I had my gear on for a run and it started to lash down. Knowing I had time later I just hopped on the bike. AHR = 124 Max = 162

A ham salad this time with some sweetcorn and a mountain of lettuce along with the usual's, felt a bit fuller this time heading back upstairs

Wednesday Evening: Finally introduced some Z4 into the run, I decided to throw in a fast k and see how I got on. So ran the first 3k in 4.42 pace to get the heart rate up to the 150's fast and then bolted for the next k. ChristI hated it, came in at 4.03 for the k and had a max Hr of 180 for the kilometre which was 3 beats off last years 5k max. A long way to go as regards speed. Couldnt get the HR down into the mid 150's so while feeling ok I was running at 5.20 pace to stay under. No problems with the calf and I stopped bothering looking for tufts of grass to run on. Came in at AHR of 154 running at 5.06 pace for 13k. On another note finally got some type of computer connection to the Samsung phone so listened to a download of "these re-imagined machines" which were remixes of BT's original, excellent stuff.

Off to Dublin for the day tomorrow so will try and get a turbo in the morning before I go

Thursday AM: Just a quick 40 minutes on the turbo before hitting the road for Dublin. Unusually for me I showed reasonable discipline foodwise through the day, I tend to eat crap when I am on the road and that Motorway station has been the death of me as regards coffees, taytos, muffins etc

Friday AM:
    Late home last night - so headed to the pool with no real enthusiasm. AN ok session I was short on time so just cut every set byu 50%, however I decided to tough out the 8 x 108 off 2.00 at the end as I wasnt feeling too bad after 4 so it wasnt all bad.

Friday Evening: I found this run tough - HR was nice and low but the legs were tired, probably from the kickboard earlier that morning as well. Ran an hour at 5.06 pace with the AHR at 142, however the monitor needs to be adjusted as it keps slipping off my chest - i think its the new diet working ;)

Saturday Am: Was out early for this as my nephew was home for the states for his christening so we were on our way up to Mayo as soon as I came home. While it turned out to be a nice day my toes never recovered from the cold at the start. Did the same route again out to Craughwell and back, as per usual was going well for the first hour but hit a stiff headwind for the second hour where the legs crumbled. I nearly got off the bike and kissed the ground when I hit the turn at Abbeyknockmoy and back into a tailwind. Managed to go up the hill at Abbeyknockmoy twice this time, much better than last week. Was glad to get home though I was like a corpse all day - the long bikes absolutely knock me out at the moment. 75k at AHR = 119

Sunday: I had the opportunity for the long run, but took a walk with Mrs C and the young lad instead around Pontoon. Its only a 1.30 run so I am sure I will get it in tomorrow and I love that area anyways, lakes everywhere. The Humbert Challenge passes through that village but hopefully I will have the head down on the bars this year and wont be seeing too much scenery. The diet was blown then with a massive post christening meal in the Knockranny Hotel and a Tikka Masala TV dinner when I got home that had over 50% of my daily intake in calories, fat, sugar, saturates, salt..........I had never seen anything as unhealthy in my life :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

catweazle wrote: »
    ...though I was like a corpse all day - the long bikes absolutely knock me out at the moment.

I know that feeling well but it does get easier. I find I'm fading less than I used to following the long cycles but I do still dip bigtime for a period. Getting a recovery drink and food into you asap helps and of course giving yourself a chance to recover for a few hours afterwards if possible. I hear some mad people go running after a long cycle but that sounds like crazy talk to me :D

RedB wrote: »
    I hear some mad people go running after a long cycle but that sounds like crazy talk to me :D

I have been taking a leaf out of Izoards training and steadfastly ignoring brick running :o

Monday AM: My usual splash around the pool in prep for tomorrows session, 1500m of drills

Monday Evening: A catch up for my missed LSR yesterday, trudged along at 5.28 pace with an average heart rate of 134. A bit of a boring slog but I suppose it was my longest run of the year at just 1.30. From January last year I ran 2 hours + for my lsr so its a big difference from last year but it starts to step up in May timewise

Tuesday AM: Need to toughen up on my getting up, the Samsung is a nightmare, eats battery. So it ran out of juice so it was Pudseys wake up call instead of 7.15 which is too late to get the session in. So an altered set of with a repeat of the 8 x 108 off 2.00 from last week, held this more comfortably this time with no last minute scramble to make up a few seconds

Tuesday Lunch:
    With one of the girls off on wedding leave for this friday - which we will be going too. I got caught with work so only had time for a 40 minute turbo in the evening. Got it done with a few 5 minute hard sessions which wasn't as much as prescribed

Wednesday AM: After 1.30 hours of looking around for my wallet I finally found it under the bed so swim session scratched. With sister from Boston over for dinner tonight - working in Castlebar tomorrow and a wedding on friday it is becoming a poor week for me :mad: Will try and prioritise the long bike if I can at the weekend as that is where the most work is needed

• Advertisement

Wednesday Evening: An hours run with 2 x 3 minutes Z4 after 10 minutes, I should be doing more of these and longer as per the plan but I missed the first 5 weeks of them with the calf niggle so I am starting into them slowly.

I did this a bit better than last weeks plan, rather than going out too hard last week and the HR hitting the roof I brought it up to the lower end of Z4 which is mid 160's, finished them in decent shape but got a bit frustrated at having to slow down to 5.20ish pace to get the HR back and kept into Z2. Run finished at 5.09 pace and an AHR of 147

Thursday Morning: An hour and twenty minutes turbo before heading up to the main office. Did 8 x 5 minutes with three minutes recovery, I was a bit mad at myself later as I was lazy and didnt push these nowhere near as hard as I could have

Friday Morning: I am going to have to google battery saving tips for the Samsung, had more or less a full battery heading to bed last night and it still ran out by the AM. Something is eating the battery on it. So late again for the pool, for the main swim set I managed 8 x 108 off 2.30 concentrating on the pull, came in on 1.55ish for all of them. Then there was a 5 x 108 descending off 2.20 freestyle, I was low 1.50's for the first two and then a 1.48/1.43/1.35.

Theres a guy beside me in the pool every morning who thrashes up and down the pool every morning, poor technique but I always marvel at his fitness to keep going for 60 lengths using that amount of strokes. I wouldnt say I fly by him unless I am pushing hard but I noticed during my warm down I was still slightly quicker than him, decided to time my last 108 of the warm down and came in at 2.02 :confused: I reckon I need to remember to relax more as I swim, I am often busting my balls trying to hold 1.55 pace for the longer sets so to see a 2.02 for a lazy warm down pace makes one wonder!

One of the girls from work getting married today so the weekends training is a bit up in the air depending on how late tonight goes. An optimistic target of mine for the Humbert will be in attendance so I will see how hes going and ply him with drink to ruin his weekends training ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Assuming your phone is a smartphone, you could try turning off bluetooth and wifi at night. If you have it enabled too, you could try turning off any push notifications. What that means is instead of your phone telling you got an email, facebook comment , or any other app that has them enabled, as soon as it happens, you have to manually check. When its enabled, the phone is constantly checking for any updates, which puts a big drain on the battery. My iPhone battery didn't last half as long when I had them enabled.

Make sure all the phone and app software is up to date too. Hopefully some of this might help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I wouldnt say I fly by him unless I am pushing hard but I noticed during my warm down I was still slightly quicker than him, decided to time my last 108 of the warm down and came in at 2.02 :confused: I reckon I need to remember to relax more as I swim, I am often busting my balls trying to hold 1.55 pace for the longer sets so to see a 2.02 for a lazy warm down pace makes one wonder!

Sometimes when stroke turnover is accelerated, the stroke itself is shortened, thus making it inefficient. Finish that stroke - max it out - and that may mean slowing it down until it becomes totally automatic.

Nothing done friday with the wedding, I met my optimistic target for Swinford at it and I reckon I can cross him off the list. I would be quicker in the swim and run but hes a big strong powerhouse and he murders me on the bike. I hadnt seen him in about a year and I was visibly shaken when I bumped into him, he has reverted down to almost nothing. Now I have seen skinny triathletes in my time but my first reaction was he must be sick as he was so gaunt looking. However hes flying it he tells me, I was sorely tempted to say something to him but I am sure hes sick of hearing it. Mrs C starts wagging the finger as soon we said our goodbyes and I will be banned from Triathlon if I get down to anything like that. However with only a choice of beef or turkey (no fish for mrs C :() for the main course and chocolate mousse for dessert the worrying stopped as 2 dinners and 2 desserts down my gullet later she knows I will never be skinny.

Sunday AM: I was delighted with today's long bike, I finally seem to be getting stronger and not be close to bonking by the end of it. The mild conditions this morning suited me so with the lack of any real headwind I was able to hold slightly over 30kph for the 50ks or so up to Abbeyknockmoy. 3 repeats of the hill, where on the 2nd I was overtaken by a race group riding a Black Rose race I think :confused:.

You think you are improving till you see how much you have to go when you see the top guys going at it. I don't think they even knew they were going up a hill. Anyways 85k with an AHR of 125, max - 156

With the auld one away on holidays its looking like we need to move back home for the week, my dad is old school and cant even boil an egg. While this might scupper much of the swimming this week, certainly some cycling routes out around Spiddal and Carraroe sprinkled with some runs down the prom will be a great change

Monday AM: A splash around the pool doing drills 1800m - with me being across in Salthill for the week I should really have worked hard on this one as I might not get much of a chance - and I forgot to pack my wetsuit ;)

Monday Lunch:
    I was away doing a presentation in the evening so I took a longer than normal lunch break. 1.15 minute easy run that I missed over the weekend. 5.15 pace and 144 AHR for it.

Tuesday AM: Over in Salthill now and a perfect morning for a run down the prom. First time I have ran twice in a row in ages so I took it easy as the legs were stiff from yesterday. Not a ripple on the water, the Galway 70.3 lads will be praying for that in September. Lovely run - on the way back up I watched the traffic jams coming against me. Almost every woman either had the mobile up to their ears or were applying make up whereas the men just looked totally brassed off. I stopped off for a second in Blackrock to watch a wetsuit clad fella dive in and swim off into the distance - nice swimmer didnt even stop for a second to acclimatise to the water. The regular all year round swimmers there always make me laugh, 2 lads strut up to the water, dive in and straight out again to put the clothes on, yet they will tell you they swim 365 days of the year.

Garmin battery died but was going very slow with AHR 124.

Tuesday Lunch: With me promising Mrs C to go for a walk with the young lad down the prom that evening I jumped on the bike. I hadn't planned to do anything too taxing but seeing as I was on the route for the Galway Cope race I decided after a km or two to gun it for Furbo which would be just under 10k. Got out to Furbo at 1.45 pace and then turned into a slight headwind, didn't push too hard on the way back but just tried to stay down on the bars which I just about managed, so got home in 1.55 pace overall. With a few minutes to spare I did one trip up Ballymoneen road, while not long its quiet steep.

I thought to myself after that Salthill is a great spot for training, a flat time trial course to my right and a decent hill to my left and the sea and one of the nicest 10k runs you could do just down the road. Pity the weather is supposed to be crap for the rest of the week!

Have scored a few passes to the Ardilaun so should be able to manage a swim tomorrow. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I tell you what - go down and do the dive in and out for the rest of the week and tell us how it goes! :p

Salthill is an ideal location alright with plenty of training options. Good to see Mr Burke is looking after you

Wednesday AM: Rolled down to the Ardilaun for the am swim, first impressions was it was way busier than Claregalway and 2nd impression was christ they are all auld ones. I suppose the main catchment area of the Ardilaun would be old money with most younger people going down the route of buying in Knocknacarra and Rahoon where other gyms would be taking them.

A poor swim and I realise I have gone a bit backwards in the pool, its easy to pinpoint I am not giving myself enough time to get the longer swim sessions done and I am chopping bits out of the session to make up for it, and usually the bits I like least are cut, with morning jobs with Pudsey which I enjoy I have to decide to swap the early morning swims for a run/bike instead and go in the evening or go back to the 2.5k average sessions. Anyways main set was 2 x 396 off 7.55 and 6 x 216 off 2.00. The 396s were in on around the 7.20 mark with me being put under pressure from a breast stroker at that pace :o I didn't hold the 216s at all which I was doing a few months ago

Thursday Lunch: I decided to catch up to the plan with my runs and went back to week 16 run (Week 17 is a taper for a race). An hour and 15 minute run with 10 minutes at Z4 pace, had only time for an hour but held the Z4 ok which I was happy with, added a few extra seconds on to the Z4 as that would take me up the hill beside the house. I was unhappy with the first 5k as I was running over 5 minute pace keeping to Z2 but was delighted to find I had a decent tailwind on the way home with got me to 5 minute pace for the run after 10k. The last ten minutes were run at 4.25 pace which was holding in the mid to high 160's and then shot up to high 170's pace as I went all out up the hill. Average pace 4.55, AHR 152 Max 179.

Thursday Evening: I had hoped to do a Sufferfest video but the work laptop I had with me needed to download some codecs so I did a short session of five minutes easy 5 minutes hard while watching 24, nearly finished series one

Friday Lunch: Pudsys sleep for more or less the first time I can remember didnt go smoothly. We have started introducing solid food and looks like we got it wrong last night as he woke up all bright eyed looking for food at 3.30. We finally had to relent at 5am and fed him and it took another hour to get him back to sleep whereas he promptly woke up at his usual waking time of 6.45, so no swim for me as I was shattered. He will be getting a chinese with chips and rice tonight if I have my way. Went out on the bike at lunch and decided to gun it to Furbo and back again, it went much better than earlier in the week, hit Furbo averaging 1.40 pace for the 8k which could have been better if I had a clear run through Barna and had to slow for a bus stopping every few k. Back into the headwind home and I held 2 minute pace for this so 1.50 pace as opposed to 1.55 from the last day. Getting better and I reckon there is more in me if I really pushed it, finished it off with a few repeats of the hill beside me. AHR - 125 Max - 162

Friday Evening: A swim I was much happier with as I wasn't rushed for time I did the whole set also. As always with Fridays the pool in the Ardilaun wasn't as busy so had a lane to myself. Main Section called for 5 x 108 off 2.00, 2.10, 2.00 and 2.10 with 108 AR in between each set. Felt like I was swimming well and with a faster girl in the lane beside me it kept me honest trying to stay with her. All 108's in low 1.50s. I was only going to do three sets as I wasn't sure whether it was 3 or 4 from memory but decided I would tough it out, turns out their was a 4th set but off 2.20

With me being in Salthill for the week I needed to show my face out for a few pints at some stage, with a long bike ride the following day I left it as as late as possible to head in and upon arrival I was swiftly sucked into a round of Mojitos. Managed to sneak off from Monroes slightly early for a pizza and then with a hunkering for curried cheese chips I headed off to Salthill for them. I must have been nicely oiled and feeling good as I spent the whole walk trying to convince myself not to run over to Salthill

Saturday Afternoon: I was hungover to bits and nearly binned this but I talked myself into going out for an hour. I must have had a nice tailwind as I was averaging 1.48 a kilometre pace for the first hour so I went longer than I expected. I then contemplated continuing but turned into a nasty headwind for Carraroe and I said no more and turned back after 30k, I was dreading the return but it wasn't too bad, twas more a crosswind then a headwind. Got back to my house after 60k and decided I would head down the prom for a spin so between that and a few hill reps i squeezed out 73k in total although with the pace it was more time in the saddle than anything else AHR= 119 Max = 156

Sunday Afternoon: With me babysitting last night for Mrs C's night on the town I was looking forward to this more than yesterday. I tried a minimal brick effort by cycling 16k which I immediately regretted as picking a sea route in that wind was madness, I was blown all over the place and was thanking the stars I didn't have the S80's on at least. Heart rate was pretty high for the pace at 126 AHR but but might have been fear as well. A poor attempt at a quick transition which I might have well as not bothered had me out on the run, did 1.30 with an AHR of 135. Again into a driving wind on the way down, I dont mind rain but I hate wind, delighted I wasn't doing Joey Hannon today in that.

Monday AM: The usual monday splash back in the local gym, 1500ms.

Tuesday AM: Again left it a bit late for the pool but got the main sections in. I had forgotten the watch as well and with no pool clock so had to go with rpe. Nice and handy anyways, pull buoy which I love - 6 x 216 off 5 minutes which looking at the sheet I got it wrong and it should have been 10 x 216 :o and then 6 x 108 off 2.00 which I am guessing I was around about 1.50 pace between sets. 2800 in total

Tuesday Lunch: The plan was 1 hour Z2 with 3 x 6 minute Z4 bursts with two minutes recovery after 10 minutes. Took a late phone call and got held up so did the local route as it would be under 40 minutes. Was very happy with this run. Covered the route which is just under 8k at 4.34 pace with an average HR of 156 max - 176. Feeling like I am back to where I was before the calf went on me

Tuesday Evening: Mrs C wants to get back into some form of training so she had booked a run after the 6.45 feed so I could do whatever I liked before that so hopped out for an easy spin on the turbo for 40 minutes

Wednesday AM: Wife woke me and Pudsey on the couch at 7.45 am. He had woken up at 4.30 crying so I was just bringing him downstairs to settle him for a minute :D ITU Sydney was playing on the TV at least when I woke up so I got some type of mind training in but the swim was cancelled

Wednesday Lunch:
    The plan called for 45 minute Z2 cycle and 30 minute Z2 run but with only an hour for lunch it was reduced to a 40 minute cycle and 15 minute run. Lovely day out there. Only go up to Z2 levels towards the end of the cycle and then off on the run, brick wasnt too bad and averaged 4.36 for the 3k but heart rate was going over the 156 mark towards the start of the 3rd K. Average HR - 147

Thursday Am: 4 x 396 off 9.00 and 6 x 108 was the main set. Managed the swim in 7.40 / 7.40 / 7.38 / 7.32 and the 6 x 108 were all in low to mid 1.50's. For some reason I was wondering have I miscounted my lengths for my 6.36pb for the 396m.

Thursday Lunch: Ran down for a coffee break at 11 and had the Sufferfest video Fight Club all set up and ready to go for lunch. First time trying this one and I loved it, very rarely will you see me red line it in training but watching Cancellara getting the final countdown for the TT on the last rep, I was roaring at myself to stay with him, great footage and banging tunes. I got a funny look from my next door neighbor upon leaving the shed :o I broke with about a minute to go on the last climb but not before I squeezed out a max heartrate of 172 which was 2 beats higher than I have ever got on the bike.

Friday AM: Again I left it late and instead of doing a mish mash of sets, I decided I would do what the plan set out and a 396m time trial. The first 8 lengths was cruising and then the lactic kicked in and it all became a struggle. Came in at 6.29 so beat my previous time by 7 seconds, I was as surprised as I was delighted as I feel my swimming has regressed lately

Friday Lunch: 1.15 run Z2 with 10 minutes Z4 at the end. With only an hours lunch I reduced it to an hour. Started out great and for the first 3 I was averaging in the high 4.20's, slowing down for the next while to keep HR in mid 150's averaging high 4.40's low 4.50's . With 2k to go I increased to low Z4 and for the last one i picked it up again slightly going to a max of 176 at 4.21 pace. So altogether 13k at 4.43 pace AHR = 154 Max = 176

A very encouraging week for me, everything feels faster so lets hope it continues like this. Weekend is dodgy for training as Mrs C is off to Dublin without the little guy so tomorrows training could be a write off depending on the size of her hangover. But I should be good to go sunday and monday.

It couldnt last - a great weeks training was ruined by a dodgy weekends training.

Saturday: Nothing - Mrs C was up in Dublin on friday and due to a big night didnt get home till saturday evening so I was on Pudsey minding duty all day.

Sunday: My old trick of visiting my mum over in Salthill but going across early so I can get a bike in. Headed off out towards Oughterard with the intention of cutting across over to Casla through Shannapheasteen. I knew early on my legs were dead and this was going to be a slog. The hills of Shannapheasteen were the death of me and I knew from meeting all the riders coming across the other way I was going into a headwind for the way home. I didn't notice much of a wind on the way out but coming back beside the sea it was desperate. Stopped a few times for some Granola bars but it was slow going all the way back. Had to ring Mrs C when I hit Spiddal that I was going to be dog late and lied and told her I had to fix a puncture. I had a Cappuccino while I was talking to her and this picked me up no end. She wasn't impressed as she was now stuck with the mother in law :rolleyes: Got home and straight out the door to get down to the coffee shop, I should have got something to eat as I think this shook me the following day as well. 88k at a slow slow pace

Monday: Should have gone to bed early last night as I was wrecked but I had Captain America on blu ray (hoping to catch the Avengers movie soon), it was useless too. I felt like sh1t all day and my optomistic thoughts of a 50k cycle and 2 hour run were long out the window. Went out at around 5pm for 2 hours but had to stop turn around and walk at 5k as the legs were gone, started to get cold so I needed to get going again. After a short jog I felt a bit better and was able to bring the pace back closer to 5 minute pace but only 10k ran

Tuesday: Was going to do a swim today but was still tired this morning so slept in till just before work. Should be able to get the swim in this evening instead.

I think I need a blow out at this stage so I am looking at a compromise at the family wedding I am trying to avoid. The wedding is in Westport on June 2nd and I see the Louisburgh Sprint and Olympic distances are on that day, depending on times I will see if I can do one of those before heading to Westport

Tuesday Lunch: 40 minutes on the turbo. Pushed it steady here and finally got the heart rate above 130 after about 10 minutes and kept it there for the rest of the session. AHR = 127

Tuesday Evening: Off to the pool for the usual splash at the start of the week, messing around near the end I decided to do 4 fast 54ms to see how I got on. Off two minutes I got 42, 44, 47, 45. The 47 was an experiment to breathe less as I went along but it didn't go well and I was fastest off every 2 strokes.

Wednesday Am:
    On time for once, I got the entire swim set in, I don't know was it because of the evening swim or my first attempt at a 2 minute bridge the night before but my arms felt very stiff and heavy. 5 x 108 off 2.00/2.10/2.20/2.30 and another 4 x 108 off 2.30 except for the first couple all in around the two minute mark

Wednesday Lunch: Got held up and my hours Z2 run with 4 x 4.5 minutes + 1.5 minute recovery was cut to the local loop which is just under 7.5k. So 9 minutes Z2 and more or less the four reps before I got back to the house. It worked out at 4.27 pace which is the fastest I have ever ran around that loop before. I think I am in good shape for a 1/2 marathon/ 10k pb but I would dread a 5k race at the moment. I suppose that's the way it should be the way I have been training.

Average Heart rate is a bit overdone, the Polar works great but the strap needs to be wet by the time I got out it was dry so it didn't switch on till I got a good sweat going. AHR = 166 Max = 177

Wednesday Evening: Just an easy 40 minutes on the bike to spin the legs out. AHR = 118 Almost hitting the end of 24 so all the twists are happening. For the last ten minutes I pushed a little harder and got up to the mid 120's HR and then legged down the road for a short 3k brick. Didnt bother with the Garmin but I would guess I was at 4.30 pace. AHR - 149 Max - 157 Bloody filling came out on the way back - I would be fair tempted to just get it over with and tell her to knock them out and stick in dentures

Negotiations went well for Louisburgh, I think she was thankful as she suspected there would be a big fight over this wedding as she doesn't even know these cousins herself let alone me. I am unsure of what to do, my laziness cuts both ways, while the Olympic is longer its a slow death whereas I dont think I could face trying to knock out 4 minute k's at this stage.

Thursday AM: Got the session a bit arseways and misread a 12 x 54 Kick/Pull, Catch/FS session to be a 12 x 54 off 55 seconds instead. I never hold this set and today was no different. The second part was a 12 x 54 kick session and as per usual that took me ages to get finished so binned the session after that to get back to the laptop. My gym membership was up this week and earlier in the year I was contemplating moving to the lake when that happened as it is as near but that wont be happening - too cold!

Thursday Lunch was skipped, a temporary filling replacement by the dentist to see how that goes instead of extraction was all I got done. Its not going so well as I have just spotted half of the new filling has gone awol already :rolleyes:

Thursday Evening: Skipped out on the turbo, broke up the session by 20 minutes of 24 warm up, then 50 minutes of Sufferfests Fight club and then the final 20 minutes of 24 to warm down. While I thought 24 was good, I felt it was a bit drawn out towards the end. Didn't push it as hard as last week and the HR reflects that, average of 124 and max of 156, although it was probably far better than what I would normally do.

With thoughts returning to an impending triathlon debut, I had to decide whether I needed a new valve extender for the race wheels, after a lot of effort and gimmicky tricks i managed to get them up to over 110psi so just some spare tubes need to be purchased

Friday Morning: An endurance swim session which is my favorite type, I dont know why I suppose I just hate the lactic of all out swim sessions. 4 x 396 off 8.35 / 4 x 216 off 4.20 and 4 x 108 off 2.10. The 396's were mid to high 7.40's, 216s were in on around 4.05 and a slight pick up from me brought me in on 2 minutes for the 108s. Fairly comfortable at the finish

Friday Lunch:
    A tough run today the legs were tired, one hour Z2 run with 10 minutes Z4 at the end of it. By 10k I had dropped back to 5 minute average pace to hold the heat rate zone and then i huffed and puffed through the final 10 minutes in Z4 to bring me in at 4.57 pace for the session AHR = 156 Max = 173

Out for dinner tonight with Mrs C and finally she can see some benefits to all this heavy training recently with Catweazle more than willing to sacrifice some beer and wine to drive in and out. I have a long bike ride that I am not looking forward to doing after last weekends slog, so I certainly don't want to be doing it with a hangover ;)

Saturday AM: The usual route out to Craughwell-Athenry-Monivea-Abbeyknockmoy-Home. Felt much better this week, probably a combo of not maxing out on thursdays turbo session, an easier route and my old reliable Nutrigrains rather than the Granola bars of last week. Going to have to desist in stopping in two or three scenic spots to enjoy my nutrigrain on the way and get used to them again on the move. A more conscious effort to stay aero as well seemed to work and I got a lot longer out of my neck than normal down on them. 3 hill repeats in Abbeyknockmoy and then home for 80k done.

Sunday: Was I glad I got the bike done yesterday, today had some wicked wind. I don't mind rain or cold but I hate training in the wind. 2 hours run which I think is the longest since Dublin last year, normally this would have been easy but I was surprised how shagged I was after 90 minutes, wind was killing me into my face. I then saw my worst nightmare coming up the road in the shape of pgibbo, so my steady pace of 5.30ish had to be raised up to closer to 5 min pace but it wasn't needed for long in fairness and I was with the wind at that stage :)AHR=137 Pace 5.26

Next weekend will be a major wedding, very close friend so practically everyone I know will be at it. I was going to sacrifice the long run but the way today's run went I might be better off sacrificing the long bike instead.

Thats Fink's build stage over with and now I am on the last peak block of 10 weeks. There will need to be some juggling with two weddings in the next three weeks and word on the street (brother in law) is that the blasted turf is cut so he will be straining at the leash as soon as a bit of sun comes out to spend all day there.

I am not far off on the plan so far, a couple of bad weeks running with the dodgy Achilles but I am back to holding my own on these now. Obviously I haven't been doing the epic 150/160km bike rides called for but with only a 1/2 Ironman on the agenda thats fine, I haven't been far off 90k spins every weekend since mid march. Need to start looking at some brick sessions at the weekend though but coming home to head off out again is asking for trouble!

Monday AM: Just the usual splash on monday, a few drills and the flippers on for a few lengths. I got a text from the strong cyclist on his 1.40 1/2 marathon time in Ballina, I would imagine that is he sending me a message there :D Its a big improvement for him as he has trouble running with his groin so he must be having an injury free run this year. Hes targeting a marathon so if its Dublin I will have to take him on.

Texted him back commiserating that he couldn't swim as I am more than likely going to be up in his neck of the woods for the Louisburgh triathlon on the June bank holiday weekend. That text should throw the cat amongst the pigeons, I have been told he has been swim training since xmas although he has never said it to me himself, no response back so perhaps he is mulling over entering, he is ultra competitive so I know he is mad to take me on. Although he is a better cyclist I would be surprised if I didn't have too big a lead on him out of the water for him to catch me, particularly if its the sprint. he will be at the wedding on Friday so I will see whats the story then after we have a few pints down us.

Tuesday AM: A more fast paced swim session today, main set was 4 x 108 off 1.50 which I held for a change, 4 x 108 off 2.00 coming in around the 1.55 mark and then 4 x 108 off 2.30 descending which came in at 1.47 / 1.44 / 1.43 / 1.39. Swimming well again.

Tuesday Evening: Lunchtime was cancelled with Pudsey getting his passport photos. The photos reminded me of a police mugshot with him wearing a black and white striped jumper. Runplan was 1.15 Z2 with 3 x 6.00 Z4 with two minutes recovery after 10 minutes. Had to cut it back to the usual 1 hour route. Legs were heavy today but got it done, once the heart rate stabilized after the three Z4 efforts I was happy that I was back to running just under 5 minute pace for the Z2 pace. Average pace 4.47, AHR = 155

Wednesday AM: Arms were very heavy in the water today, I have been sporadically doing the plank exercise as the cycleshop man told me that a strong core would be the best chance of me staying down on the aero bars. So two minutes last night and I could feel it in the arms today, the main part of the set was 8 x 108 off 2.00 and my usual mind trick of just doing 4 and then persuading myself to keep going worked and got them done. They weren't too bad in the end of it all I was thinking as I was finishing my last rep. Deffo back to going well in the pool after a few bad weeks

Training could be poor for the rest of this week, dentist again for lunch, work trip to Dublin thursday and then the wedding friday. Mulranny wheres it at has a lovely blue flag beach so I will pack the wetsuit, it might help the hangover at the very least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Good going.

I know the weather hasn't been great but man you looked like someone running in the depths of winter last night. All you were missing was the golf hat! :D

pgibbo wrote: »
    I know the weather hasn't been great but man you looked like someone running in the depths of winter last night. All you were missing was the golf hat! :D

Ha I was only thinking that myself as I was heading out - I know we had the big freeze last year etc etc but I still think the air temp seem to be colder than last year. I was definitely in the lake this time last year and it wasn't too bad at all.

So yes long running pants and two layers on top on all runs so far this year, usually after a few K I am regretting the 2nd layer. The cap is more to keep the headphones in the ears than anything else, need to get rid of the ones I am currently using they don't hold in the ears at all

Wednesday Evening: Completely out of box sets so stuck on Sufferfasts Downward Spiral, didn't kill myself during this and heart rate max was only in the low 150's. AHR = 124.

Thursday AM:
    Heading to Dublin for work so snuck in an easy and quick session in the pool. 1100ms of drills

Friday AM:
    After a long day in Dublin and my usual winding down period when I got home it was a late night. With the wedding later today I talked myself into an easy run. First time running at that time this year and the HR was much higher than usual. Decided half way through it seeing as I was on the lower end of Z2 for the run I would stick to the plan which called for 1.15 Z2 with 10 minutes Z4 at the end so I struggled in at low 4 minute pace for the last 2 k. 5.15 pace AHR = 147

Saturday was a write off with a filthy hangover

Sunday: Very nearly bailed out of this as well, no excuse, a cracking day I just got the lawn cut and lazed about for an hour or two after giving myself only a 2 hour window when I had as much time as I wanted. Finally got out and did 50k.

I had hoped to do The Tour of Connemara this weekend but surprise surprise the bro in law is demanding we do the turf. Christ I hate the bog, back breaking work :mad:

Monday: Was still wrecked this morning so no early swim, lunchtime run was cancelled as well but with some brownie points earned I was able to head out for a slightly longer run in the evening. Found it hard going and definitely while the run speed isn't bad the endurance isn't there yet. I had to go out to 5.10/5.15 pace for the last few kms to hold the HR under 155. 15.5k at 5.04 pace. AHR = 146 Max = 154. Need to nail the long runs from now till Swinford.

Tuesday AM: I had plans to head straight into a set this morning but forgot the watch so back to my usual first swim of the week drills. 2650 in total

Tuesday Lunch:
    Hoped to go to the Avengers tonight but mate backed out, so I went for an easy spin on the turbo as potentially I might be able to sneak in a harder session tonight

Need to make a decision soon on the Louisburgh Triathlon next week, as per usual I seem to get gunshy for the first one out. I forgot we will have to take both cars to Mayo if I go do it so it will be a sober night for me at the wedding after - feck it with the mother in law there there wont be a huge amount consumed anyways. :rolleyes:

Wednesday AM: Reasonable swim session, main set was 8 x 108 off 2.30. Now I love my pull buoy as I find it effortless but I have been suspicious that I am faster without it these days. a bit of kickboard and then finished with 6 x 108 off 2.20 descending which reduced from 1.55 to 1.42 over the 6

Wednesday Lunch: Training is becoming so frequent I can't remember what I did if I even did anything?? I think I may have done an easy 40 minutes on the turbo in ready for a tougher session that evening

Wednesday Evening: Like a woman testing out her wedding dress, I had bought a snazzy K-Swiss 2-piece going cheap in TK Maxx earlier in the year. I was far too heavy for it back then but with 5 kilos dropped since then I was sure I was ready for it now. It matches the Pussywagon so I was looking forward to looking resplendent in Louisburgh next week.

So on it goes for a brick session
    Arms - Yes looking good, bit of muscle definition there, the swimming is paying off
    Legs - A worry because they only had a medium in the shorts, but no problems here, my legs have totally changed over the last year or two

A turn to the side and crushing disappointment, I don't think I have lost a jot of my beerbelly since I started this triathlon lark. A quick confirmation from Mrs C who would usually lie and tell me my bum doesn't look big in this, legs and arm fine Catweazle but the keg doesn't look great in it. Fraser Cartmell I am not

17%20Fraiser%20Cartmell.jpg

So the brick session was cancelled as I wasnt going to be seen dead running down the road in the two piece and I stuck on Fight Club instead. An honest session here, didn't redline it but I was in the 160's for the last rep. The K-Swiss was very comfortable all the same, material is much better quality than what I am used to

Thursday AM: Slept it in and wasn't going to do anything but Mrs C shamed me into going for a run with the cracking morning that was in it. The Sufferfest must have still been in my legs as I really struggled on this. I don't like running in the mornings anyways but I was ploughing along at 5.49 pace and sweating buckets. 8k and just glad to get it over with. AHR = 136 which is shocking high for that pace.

Thursday Lunch: Brick run take two - So back to my old club one piece and I actually looked much more in shape with that. Perhaps it was the late lunch yesterday before the session that made the belly so big. :confused:Christ you need to be ripped for the two pieces!

Anyways the turbo was easy enough to get the heartrate up in that weather, so I did about 30 minutes at AHR = 126. One of the first outings for the year for the race shoes and I had forgotten how much I liked running with the Zoots, no real brick legs to talk about. No garmin either just running to HR but I was bouncing along compared to this mornings slog fest for 3k AHR = 154

Friday AM: I was caught to trim some bushes last night and my back was feeling it by the time i was finished. Back still stiff this morning so I said I would just take it easy at the pool and get a light swim in. Talked myself into throwing in a quick 4 x 108 off 2.00 at the end and by the time I had finished up I swam 10 x 108 off 2.00, some good pacing. Usually I have to pick it up towards the last rep or two to make the overall time but no such trouble today, came in for all of them between 1.55 and 1.57.

Hoping to go for a quick OW swim in the evening - cracking weather!

Friday Lunch: I was cooked for this 10k, started out at 4.55 pace for the first three but then went downhill rapidly I couldn't get the heart rate down at all. Even at +6 minute pace I was still in the 160's. Walked for a few minutes to get it down and then trotted home beaten!

Friday Evening:
    After mowing the lawn I was wrecked and was going to call it a night until I heard the mother in law was on the way over, so off I went like a bullet for that cancelled ow swim. Didnt have too much time and was cringing when i saw a gang of young lads up at the pier jumping in with just the shorts on. You always get the looks and comments when you walk up with the wet suit on. No backing out with those lads looking on so in I jumped and was delighted when it wasn't that bad at all.

Nice and easy out to the rock, while sighting wasn't as fluid as it could be I knew I was swimming straight as a dye. Turned around and decided to gun it back to the pier, loved this I had forgotten how easy it is to swim in the wetsuit, nice long strokes and big pulls under the water. Looked at the watch when I hit the pier, 9.08 for the approx 500m, I used to never break 10 minutes for this back when I first started. I hope to do well in the swim this year and its looking good for that

Saturday AM: I wasnt looking forward to this after bonking the afternoon before, but one look at the beautiful day we had and I started to look forward to it. A sneaky 200m while waiting for Mrs C and Pudsey to arrive for his first swim. A lot to work on but he started well with the head under the water and no crying, he was quiet nonchalent about it overall, like a big top and tail!

Saturday Lunch: The usual route, I was going to put the race wheels on but said I would wait for a few spins this week instead. Thought I was going to have company for a few minutes as I got chatting to lad on the way into Claregalway but i was veering off towards the usual route. First 30k was slow going, into a headwind and I was struggling to stay down on the bars, picked it up a small bit after Craughwell, got to Abbeyknockmoy and talked myself into doing 5 reps of the hill. These arent as steep as what the Windy Gap is in the Humbert but its about 1.5k long whereas the Gap is short and sharp. 88k done

Sunday AM: This turned into a bad days training, the plan was 2 hours in and around the prom as Mrs C was walking Pudsey. A quick call to the mother to tell her we would meet her at 11 at Blackrock went pear shaped when she realised that both of us were down on the prom and decided to head down to us early. I had to pull up running after 50 minutes when I see her walking up towards me. So only about 9k ran, got a quick dip in Blackrock, couldnt believe the ammount of wetsuit swimmers out and around. Didn't swim as well as yesterday, the swell puts me off my stroke a little bit and surprisingly I thought the sea was colder than the lake yesterday, swam for about ten minutes so about 500ms i guess

The plan is an easy week this week for the race on saturday which suits as evenings will be turf duty for most of the week but I am conscious that my run endurance is poor so I might try an early am run to make up for today - i cant stand morning running though

Sunday Evening: Logged into triburgh and saw a big fat sold out sign, ah christ now I have to go to the full wedding was my first thought but luckily spotted limited entry for 33 euros instead of 55 as they were out of goodie bags. I have a million t-shirts already so happy days, with a 10% club discount on top of that its probably the cheapest tri I have ever entered. I went with the Olympic even though it may well make me run late but I am just not ready for the pain of the sprint

Monday Lunch:
    With the race wheels gathering dust in the attic I finally dusted them down and put them on the bike for the weekend. While they may well do damn all for me time wise, the bike looks totally different with the deep section wheels. Got outside the door for an easy spin at lunch and was disgusted as the council must have just done the road so there was loose chippings everywhere which had me fuming on my lovely wheels. Nothing done really here an easy 13k to get used to the wheels. The gears work differently with the Srams on, they click into place rather than gring in so each flick of the geatrs bring you straight into the next one - lovely and smooth. It was windy so I had a few wobbles but with a bit of concentration I was ready for them, although trucks flying by at high speed sent me all over the place

Tuesday AM: After a night on the bog (turning turf), my back and hamstrings were in bits so an easy swim with two fast 108's thrown in out of boredom to break up the drills. 2600m in total

Tuesday Lunch: Legs were still wrecked so out on the bike again instead of a run - this time I decided to do a short 10k TT to see what I could do, into Claregalway and back for a total of 10k. Averaged 34.8k, had expected to be over 35k an hour but what harm

As per usual, I take a race week too casually, I will be fresh anyways as I have done f-all this week. Mrs C now loves race week as well as I have been much more visible around the house and not sneaking off doing training every time she turns her back. Turf is now turned and my back and hamstrings have been killing me ever since, of course the brother and mother in law are fine, old hands at turf at this stage so it is embarrassing that their supposedly fit son in law has been hobbling around all week.

Wednesday AM: An easy swim, arsing around really with a bit of sighting was about all I did. 1100m

Wednesday Lunch: A slow 8k run - hamstrings were killing me but gradually loosened out as I was moving along, so from a 6.30 pace I gradually was coming down to 5.07 pace towards the end 5.29 average AHR=128

Thursday Lunch: 5k in lashing rain which I enjoyed, hamstrings still tight but was able to start at 5.30 pace and was coming in just under the 5 minute pace towards the end. 5.16 average pace AHR = 132

Thursday Evening: Broke a strap on my Kayenne goggles but I had a backup pair in the bag so first time using them I needed to test them to make sure they were ok. No problems, lake was only a tiny bit choppy, I was hoping for more as Louisburgh might be a rough swim. Felt a slight pain in my ribcage where I thought the wet suit was chaffing me but it seemed to go away after a while.

Friday:
    Needed to go up to the office in Castlebar for a while so more than likely a complete day off today as no doubt the lawn will be waiting for me when I get home this evening. Hamstrings are much better today so hopefully they will be grand for tomorrow

I don't think Louisburgh tomorrow will be anyway quick, I got a shock when I saw some of the bike times recorded from last year, looks like a hilly course, even the swim times are slow. Tom O Dowd won it with 2.15 last year almost 15 minutes ahead of the next guy :eek: so being honest I will be doing well to break 2.50. No entry listed posted so lets see if any of the arch nemesi turns up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Good luck tomorrow!! Enjoy your first race of the season. Can't wait to read your post-mortem!!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

I was caught to trim some bushes last night and my back was feeling it by the time i was finished. Back still stiff this morning so I said I would just take it easy at the pool and get a light swim in.

I might play the violin for you. Thankfully they were bushes and not God forbid tree branches:D

Good luck in Louisburgh. A very picturesque place for the event
    Last year the swim was very choppy and very difficult. (I see they still haven't corrected my swim time yet, useless .....)
    The bike course isn't fast, a number of long drags and surface is sxite in sections. The last 10k is reasonable quick along as there isn't a head wind as was the case in 2011.
    First 3k (I think) of the run is challenging, just when you are off the bike but is a nice run all the same

I hope the event is better than last year

Advertisement