Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rashers10

There are some very good docs up there too:
    'Man on Wire' is excellent. And 'Encounters at the End of the World' is well worth a watch.
    A movie you may have missed is 'The Lives of Others' ... excellent.

I'm currently working my way through 'Arrested Development' . Don't know how I missed it on TV.

Also if you like your gaming 'King of Kong:A fistful of quarters' is a quirky one.

(All the above are on the Irish version, I'd be mindful of spoofing the DNS... MS could roll out the ban hammer)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

DeWitt wrote: »
    Has anyone found any shows or movies not listed in the genre selections? Looking through their tv category there's not much, but I saw another subscriber talking about Dirty Sexy Money, did a Y search & whatd'ya know there it was. Strange it's not listed in their catalogue.

Theres actually a huge selection of both. The main page can be very misleading with the few titles it has and even the alphabetical search only calls up a few from each letter.

Its not a very good UI. The best way is to think of a TV show or movie and enter it in the search field. Far from ideal, but it does spring up some nice surprises.

rashers10 wrote: »
    I'd be mindful of spoofing the DNS... MS could roll out the ban hammer)[/I]

What??:confused:

adox wrote: »
    What??:confused:

If you are on an xbox you can mess with your DNS and get access to the US version of Netflix.
    But I'd be careful of that as it probably violate usage terms and Microsoft could ban your Xbox live account. Unlikely, but definitely possible

rashers10 wrote: »
    If you are on an xbox you can mess with your DNS and get access to the US version of Netflix.
    But I'd be careful of that as it probably violate usage terms and Microsoft could ban your Xbox live account. Unlikely, but definitely possible

Ah ok, sorry I was wondering where the MS reference was coming from. I have it set up on my PS3.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Ah ok, sorry I was wondering where the MS reference was coming from. I have it set up on my PS3.

My bad, it was a confusing post :o

The excellent Boss should be appearing on the American version in the coming days, most likely this coming Friday.

I'm watching it at the minute and it's by far the stand out show of last year. Intelligent adult drama with a great premise, fantastic writing and superb performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Alas thats not going to happen, Starz removing all their content in February.

http://techthingdaily.com/2011/09/02/starz-content-leaving-netflix-in-february/

Alas thats not going to happen, Starz removing all their content in February.

http://techthingdaily.com/2011/09/02/starz-content-leaving-netflix-in-february/

I imagine that Netflix will get the most out of the Starz content while it lasts so I can see Boss appearing for the month that's left. Be ridicolous for them not to considering the recent win for Grammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

Having already seen most all the shows mentioned in this thread I'm currently watching Damages on Netflix - starring Glen Close as a machiavellian lawyer and Ted Danson as her target, a businessman accused of ripping off his clients. I'm quite enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Found these two on Netflix that I could recommend.

:14 2005
    Good movie from start to finish.
    Its about a group of people and how their lives are linked in a crazy set of circumstances, That occurs at 11:14 pm.

United states of Leland 2003
    Not a bad film, Worth a watch.
    About a quiet lad that commits a brutal murder of a disabled kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

How do most people use their netflix account? Through their laptop and then tv cable to Tv?

If so, does the transfer of picture through the tv cable decrease the quality?

I've always found that downloaded video was nowhere near the quality of a dvd.

kraggy wrote: »
    How do most people use their netflix account? Through their laptop and then tv cable to Tv?

Ps3 on to my plasma through HDMI. Pq is fantastic.

PS3 to TV, quality is indistinguishable from DVD and sometimes approaching bluray or broadcast HD, laptop to TV wouldn't be the best quality I'd imagine .

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

2 PS3s, Xbox, Tablet & phone :pac:

Perfect all around!

PS3 to TV, quality is indistinguishable from DVD and sometimes approaching bluray or broadcast HD, laptop to TV wouldn't be the best quality I'd imagine .

Most laptops can out put in full HD these sets. Pretty much any half decent one will have a HDMI output.

Most laptops can out put in full HD these sets. Pretty much any half decent one will have a HDMI output.

Yeah thats probably true if its HDMI cable, I assumed op meant analogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

BBC's Sherlock

3 x 90 minute episodes. Excellent modern day interpretation of the books.
    Good as any movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Does anyody know if the DNS switch around does actually violate the terms of the PSN or XBLA? Will this result in IP banning for your console immediatly? Also will this not give the US Stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

http://instantwatcher.com/genres/282

That site has a list of TV series on the US netflix. I find the 'normal' search awful

Quite a list...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I just finished watching the first series of the BBC's Psychoville and it was excellent. "Full-on ballbag mental", to steal a phrase from a webcomic I read.

The IT Crowd, the Mighty Boosh, Coupling, Cold Feet, and Drawn Together are a few other things I've spotted on there that are well worth watching if you've not already seen them.

Dodge wrote: »
    http://instantwatcher.com/genres/282

That site has a list of TV series on the US netflix. I find the 'normal' search awful

Quite a list...

That's the dream. I'd pay a bit more than 7 Euro to have access to all that.

Anyone experiencing audio sync problems on PS3. Happened to me on two half hour TV shows last night (after about 15 mins viewing not initially?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Laptop to TV via HDMI. Perfect picture.

I'm currently watching 24 Season 1 again - which I haven't seen since it's original broadcast - and The Thick of It.

I'll check out Breaking Bad next as everyone seems to be recommending it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

US Netflix also has every episode of The X Files. I was almost dismayed to discover this as it's going to wreak havoc with the last shred of productivity I had left.

Quantum Leap, The Wonder Years and every Star Trek series on there too.

Also on the US Netflix, every episode of The Larry Sanders Show.

I'm seriously considering taking a few weeks off work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

how's everybody doing on download caps?

I have all the hardware but im on eircom 7mb/50gb

dunno would it be practical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

The wii works fine, SD only though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

great idea for a thread, the other ones in films and bargain alerts just seem to now be all about how to change your dns settings to access the US catalogue. I for one am perfectly happy with the default Irish one at the moment and theres enough to keep to me going for quite a while. It'd be nice to keep this thread focused on the Irish catalogue with recommendations and hidden gems which may not be easy to find.

I think they have updated it a little since it launched. I say this because the movie Punisher: War Zone which previously was unavailable (i think) when i clicked on it in the taste profile (which lets you rate films so it gives better recomendations, although many of these films are unavailable) is now available although this never showed up on new releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

How does everyone have access to the US library? I tried the ipblocker but to no avail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Bagel

The swedish version of Wallender is very good. I caught a few of them on BBC 4 so looking forward to seeing a series worth.

Advertisement