Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottish Independence - What say you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Oh no we won't have bra's, all right pack it in lads, this independence craic ain't going to work.

Hah, most MSP are men. Salmond could do with one but not having a bra won't affect him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

dlofnep wrote: »
    There's 1001 businesses that support Scottish independence. You can pick and choose selective quotes all you want, it doesn't change much.

A much more interesting result is the latest poll on Scottish independence, which had a majority support in favour of it at 51%. Only 39% stated that they would vote no. Support for independence is growing, and growing.

Where is the latest pole i heard Alec Salmond on about it today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Where's the 'Och aye dinnae' option?

Otherwise known as the "just string together some clichéd scots vernacular that doesn't actually make any sense" option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

woodoo wrote: »
    Where is the latest pole i heard Alec Salmond on about it today?

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/298664/Poll-Now-51-back-independence

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

RBS is an English registered company as far as I know, hence why their group operates under English law when I worked there.

RBS is a Scottish company, headquarted in Edinburgh. It is so Scottish that a few years ago Alex Salmond was singing its praises as a Scottish success story and told of his wish that RBS play a central role in a future, independent Scotland.

However, him referring to RBS as a Scottish bank was back in the good days. Since then the bank has crashed. Since then Salmond has tried to wash his hands of the bank, saying he doesn't want RBS to have anything to do with an independent Scotland.

Frankly, I find this disgusting. To consider RBS as Scottish in the good old days and then to consider it as British after it has crashed and then trying to say he wants that Scottish bank to become under British (foreign) control should Scotland get independence - just because he doesn't want an independent Scotland to have to deal with the consequences of the bank's crash when the crash of the bank was created in Scotland and started when Salmond gave RBS his blessing to take over AVB Amro at an inflated cost - is just sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Batsy wrote: »
    More bad news for those who support Scottish independence.

Scotswoman Michelle Mone, the Ultimo lingerie tycoon, has declared that, should Scotland become independent, she will relocate her business to England as she believes that Scotland will not be able to survive on its own.

Miss Mone’s company, MJM International, turned over £42 million last year. The firm’s gel-filled bra became a sensation after it was worn by Julia Roberts in the hit film Erin Brockovich.

“I am so passionate for Scotland but I have to say that if we do become independent, I will move,” said the businesswoman, who company is based in East Kilbride near Glasgow.

“I will move my business and I will move personally. I’ve refused to relocate because I love Scotland…but under independence, I would have no choice.

“I don’t think we can survive on our own and I think it would be really bad for business. Everything would go up and I really don’t think we need it at the moment. Things are bad enough and we don’t need to be shaking it up even more.”

Miss Mone, who was awarded an OBE two years ago for her contribution to business, said politicians in the Scottish Parliament could not be trusted to make “Scotland PLC” a success.

“MSPs have never run a business in their life. Would you trust them to run Scotland as a business? No is the answer. It’s too much of a gamble,” she concluded.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/scottish-politics/9047395/Ultimo-lingerie-tycoon-Michelle-Mone-I-will-move-my-business-to-England-if-Scotland-becomes-independent.html

Stop the press, businesswoman spits out dummy. The Scottish people are quaking in their boots (& bras for some)!

RBS is a Scottish company, headquarted in Edinburgh.

The facts are RBS is a UK company, headquatered in Edinburgh or have you already forgotten Nat West & Ulster Bank?

woodoo wrote: »
    Its all bluff. Talk is cheap. She is obviously a unionist and that is why she is stirring like this.

I've got a feeling her business won't be the only one leaving an independent Scotland for the UK.

The facts are RBS is a UK company, headquatered in Edinburgh or have you already forgotten Nat West & Ulster Bank?

As I've already said. This is the thinking of Scottish Nationalists:

Before RBS crashed: "RBS is a great SCOTTISH company and we want it to play a pivotal role in an new, independent Scotland."

After RBS crashed, a crash which started when RBS under the foul Fred Goodwin (another Scot), with Salmond's blessing, bid to take over AVB Amro: "RBS is a BRITISH bank and we don't want an independent Scotland to have anything to do with it!

And NatWest and Ulster were TAKEN OVER by RBS, a Scottish company. You probably don't count Kraft Foods as a British/American company because it took over Cadbury's, so why consider RBS a British company just because it took over NatWest and Ulster?

When is a Scottish Bank not a Scottish Bank?

Posted by Rafael Behr - 12 January 2012 16:44

In 2008, Alex Salmond hailed RBS as the pride of the "Celtic Lion" economy that he envisaged for an independent Scotland. Then it collapsed.

In more buoyant economic times, when RBS was a private sector champion, it was a potential source of pride and financial clout for Scotland, should it decide to dissolve its union with England. (This was back when Scottish Nationalists looked westward to the dynamic performance of Ireland and considered whether there wasn't a "Celtic Lion" economy ready to be unleashed in imitation of the big cat over the sea. People don't talk so much about the Irish "Celtic Tiger" model these days.)

Channel 4's Faisal Islam published an interesting document on his blog last night showing how Alex Salmond (a former RBS man) cheered Fred Goodwin on in his takeover bid for ABN Amro - the deal that ultimately broke the bank. As late as March 2008, Salmond was still selling Edinburgh's financial services buccaneers as evidence that Scotland could stand on its own as part of an "arc of prosperity" alongside Ireland, Iceland and the Nordic countries. The SNP leader told an audience in Harvard:

With RBS and HBOS - two of the world's largest banks - Scotland has global leaders today, tomorrow and for the long-term.

Or not, as it turned out. When RBS needed bailing out by the UK government, its balance sheet assets were equivalent to 2,500% of Scottish GDP. So the question naturally arises, how would an independent Scotland have coped? The SNP answer is to blame Westminster (naturally) and the Labour government for the regulatory failure that allowed the crisis to build in the first place. In that respect, I supposed he agrees with David Cameron.

Alistair Darling, the Chancellor who oversaw the bail out (and a Scot who will be playing a lead role in Labour's anti-independence campaign) has attacked Salmond today for being "slippery" on the issue of RBS exposure. Why should the SNP claim Scotland's oil revenues, Darling asks, but not its share of debt incurred to keep his former financial champion afloat? It is a decent question.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/the-staggers/2012/01/scottish-bank-rbs-scotland

• Advertisement

Stop the press, businesswoman spits out dummy. The Scottish people are quaking in their boots (& bras for some)!

Michelle has the backing of 80% of UK voters, according to an ICD poll. A poll has shown that just 20% of UK voters believe an independent Scotland would become better off. A whopping 52% believe an independent Scotland would be worse off.

However, the opposite is true for England. 36 per cent of UK voters believe that England would benefit if Scotland left the UK, compared with 34 per cent who believe it would suffer.

45% of UK voters also believe England should be given its own parliament, with just 20% saying it shouldn't.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/the-staggers/2012/01/poll-scotland-voters-support

As I've already said. This is the thinking of Scottish Nationalists:

Before RBS crashed: "RBS is a great SCOTTISH company and we want it to play a pivotal role in an new, independent Scotland."

After RBS crashed, a crash which started when RBS under the foul Fred Goodwin (another Scot), with Salmond's blessing, bid to take over AVB Amro: "RBS is a BRITISH bank and we don't want an independent Scotland to have anything to do with it!

And NatWest and Ulster were TAKEN OVER by RBS, a Scottish company. You probably don't count Kraft Foods as a British/American company because it took over Cadbury's, so why consider RBS a British company just because it took over NatWest and Ulster?

Wow, you can ignore facts until you are blue in the face but that will not change the fact that RBS is a UK bank. It is not difficult to understand

Hey Batsy - Just incase you missed it: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/298664/Poll-Now-51-back-independence[/QUOTE]

A poll which is good news for the people of England, who would like to see the back of Scotland and who believe their country would be better off if Scotland went.

However, should an independent Scotland suddenly start to suffer economically as it discovers that it cannot go it alone, it'd be the English, Welsh and Northern Irish - the people remaining in the UK - who would have the last laugh.

Michelle has the backing of 80% of UK voters, according to an ICD poll. A poll has shown that just 20% of UK voters believe an independent Scotland would become better off. A whopping 52% believe an independent Scotland would be worse off.

However, the opposite is true for England. 36 per cent of UK voters believe that England would benefit if Scotland left the UK, compared with 34 per cent who believe it would suffer.

45% of UK voters also believe England should be given its own parliament, with just 20% saying it shouldn't.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/the-staggers/2012/01/poll-scotland-voters-support

That's wonderful and all, but you've still avoided the latest Scottish poll on independence which puts the public favouring it at 51%, and only 39% against it.

A poll which is good news for the people of England, who would like to see the back of Scotland and who believe their country would be better off if Scotland went.

Well - If that's how you guys feel about Scotland, then they are indeed better off on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

The one thing I have learned from all the scottish people I have met is they hate the english even more than the Irish are renowned for and they aint shy about saying so.

I am confused, are you supportive of Scotland becoming independent then as the people of England want rid of them?

Wow, you can ignore facts until you are blue in the face but that will not change the fact that RBS is a UK bank. It is not difficult to understand

RBS is a Scottish bank. Even Salmond himself once said it was a Scottish bank when he said: "With RBS and HBOS - two of the world's largest banks - SCOTLAND has global leaders today, tomorrow and for the long-term."

Although that was before RBS and HBOS crashed. The little man has now changed his tune by now referring to them as British banks and saying he wants an independent Scotland to have nothing to do with them.

Of course, as we all know, this is no different than newspapers referring to Andy Murray as British when he does well but Scottish when he gets knocked out of a tournament.

Anyway, just in case you missed it, I'll repeat was Fred Flints - sorry. Salmond - once said: "With RBS and HBOS - two of the world's largest banks - SCOTLAND has global leaders today, tomorrow and for the long-term."

I am confused, are you supportive of Scotland becoming independent then as the people of England want rid of them?

Why on Earth would it bother me if Scotland became independent? It wouldn't be our problem. It'd be theirs.

Daisy M wrote: »
    The one thing I have learned from all the scottish people I have met is they hate the english even more than the Irish are renowned for and they aint shy about saying so.

The Scots don't like the Irish that much, either. Have you ever been to a Rangers match?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Well - If that's how you guys feel about Scotland, then they are indeed better off on their own.

May I ask why you are so anxious to see an independent Scotland?

Why on Earth would it bother me if Scotland became independent? It wouldn't be our problem. It'd be theirs.

Hmmm

This thread

capturecyx.jpg

The one in Politics

capturetd.jpg

Daisy M wrote: »

Well there we have it. Conclusive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

RBS is a Scottish company, headquarted in Edinburgh. It is so Scottish that a few years ago Alex Salmond was singing its praises as a Scottish success story and told of his wish that RBS play a central role in a future, independent Scotland.

Around about the same time that he was singing the praises of the celtic bubble but now has gone pretty quiet on that score and is spouting something about the "Nordic model" (Presumably he doesnt mean Iceland ?)

The Scots don't like the Irish that much, either. Have you ever been to a Rangers match?
    Please stop posting. I'm embarrassed to be from the same nation as you. You are literally as cringe inducing as the Irish republican choppers who you constantly confront and are confronted by.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Load of balderdash, once the people realise they are massively subsidised by Engerland they'll come running back to mama.
    See also Northern Ireland.

Hmmm

This thread

capturecyx.jpg

The one in Politics

capturetd.jpg

I still have absolutely no fears for the future of the United Kingdom, but do you look forward to a future under Alec Salmond and Nicola Sturgeon? Do you not worry at all that the SNP continue to evade extremely important questions in favour of further mindless flag waving? It will sure be interesting to see just how things go if Scotland should finally secure its "freedom".

Hmmm

This thread

capturecyx.jpg

The one in Politics

capturetd.jpg

Yeah. Two lists of who have made the most posts in particular threads is definite proof that I don't want to see the back of Scotland.

I've got news for you. The only reason the Irish want independence for Scotland is not because they care about Scotland. It's just because they think the English people will somehow hate seeing Scotland going their own way and will all be crying in their cornflakes should Scotland gain independence. However, I've shown many times that the English are often MORE in favour of Scottish independence than the Scots are and seem to want Scotland to go it alone.

Yeah. Two lists of who have made the most posts in particular threads is definite proof that I don't want to see the back of Scotland.

No those lists belie this

'Why on Earth would it bother me if Scotland became independent?

You are bothered, that is why you post in these threads (admittedly most of your posts are copy & paste jobs from the media, something which got you banned in Politics)

• Advertisement

bwatson wrote: »
    May I ask why you are so anxious to see an independent Scotland?

I'm not the one who's anxious ;) I'm perfectly happy with whatever the Scots decide. Unionists on the other hand are extremely anxious about affording the Scottish people the right to self determination.

Advertisement