Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingdoms of Amalur

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well I'm about 12 hours into it now, up to level 11 and it's surprising me how much I'm enjoying it. For a game that did it's best to turn me off inside the first hour, it's really crept up on me and has it's claw in. The combat is great, real fluid, fast-paced and precise. If you die, it's always your fault. The skill trees flexible and the crafting open enough without ever leaving you feeling the need to grind through making 1000 iron daggers.

There's still a bit of an MMO feel to it, especially in the mission structure and the game has some of the worst Irish accents I've ever heard but it's a big grower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Well I'm about 12 hours into it now, up to level 11 and it's surprising me how much I'm enjoying it. For a game that did it's best to turn me off inside the first hour, it's really crept up on me and has it's claw in. The combat is great, real fluid, fast-paced and precise. If you die, it's always your fault. The skill trees flexible and the crafting open enough without ever leaving you feeling the need to grind through making 1000 iron daggers.

There's still a bit of an MMO feel to it, especially in the mission structure and the game has some of the worst Irish accents I've ever heard but it's a big grower.

That's it exactly , found it ok even on hard, and when I did die on occasion it was down to lack of potions being caried and not being prepared for the stronger enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Terrible news, Big Huge Games has shut down!

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2012/05/24/report-38-studios-lays-off-entire-staff
    Following recent financial problems, the entire staff of 38 Studios has been laid off and Big Huge Games has been closed.

Kotaku broke the news that layoffs were happening at Big Huge Games earlier today followed by a report from The Verge that 38 Studios has let go its entire staff. Now, WPRI in Rhode Island has confirmed the layoffs.

According to WPRI, the following memo was sent to all 38 Studios employees earlier today:

"The Company is experiencing an economic downturn. To avoid further losses and possibility of retrenchment, the Company has decided that a companywide lay off is absolutely necessary.

These layoffs are non-voluntary and non-disciplinary.

This is your official notice of lay off, effective today, Thursday, May 24th, 2012."

Lead world designer Colin Campbell also confirmed the layoffs at Big Huge on Twitter, writing "Big Huge Games was home for my wife and me for our adult lives so far. I'll miss it terribly, but so proud. Good night and good luck."

In a press conference this afternoon, Rhode Island governor Lincoln Chafee said that the studio needed to sell three million copies of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning in order to break even, but the game ultimately sold 1.2 million. "The game failed," he added.

In addition to the release of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning in February, 38 recently revealed its MMO, Project Copernicus.

I really enjoyed this game (haven't finished yet). There bright, colourful characters and scenery were a welcome change from the dullness of Skyrim & Dark Souls, and the combat even rivaled the latter!
    The customisation, of both weapons and stats was a really good feature, felt like there were endless possibilities to do in a single run through of the game.

Here's hoping the staff find somewhere to put their skills to use again

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, real shame to see this happen, I think they've put together a reasonably interesting fantasy universe that I'd love to see more from. Despite getting pretty solid reviews across the board, big names in writing and design to put it together and publishing/distribution support from EA, it still wasn't enough to keep the company going - hard to figure out what they did wrong really.

I hope the staff and everyone else involved get picked up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Shiminay wrote: »
    Despite getting pretty solid reviews across the board, big names in writing and design to put it together and publishing/distribution support from EA, it still wasn't enough to keep the company going - hard to figure out what they did wrong really.

From what I can tell it suffered from NotBeingSkyrim-itis. Kinda sad that even tough they managed 1.3 million in sales, it still wasnt enough to break their 3 million required to break even. What kind of timeframe did they have? So what happens to any future sales now? Does EA get all of it or is the cut usually reserved for 38 and BHG going to Rhode Island to pay the debt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

IMHO, it was the MMO Copernicus that sunk them. Millions went into making that, and they never made a penny on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

A lot of youtube gaming channels gave it only slightly above average which really didn't help sales for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Only €20 in Zavvi (on sale at the moment).

http://www.zavvi.com/elysium.search?search=amalur

Might pick it up (I think it's still full whack in the B'n'M shops).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Any differences between the Xbox and PS3 versions of this? does it run better on one or t'other?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

penev10 wrote: »
    Any differences between the Xbox and PS3 versions of this? does it run better on one or t'other?

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/kingdoms-of-amalur-ps3-xbox-360-performance-analysis-video

FYI I was in Gamestop over the weekend and saw this going 2nd hand for €17.99 on 360. Played it for an hour last night and really loved it. I think it'll keep me going for a long time!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,070 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Mr E wrote: »
    http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/kingdoms-of-amalur-ps3-xbox-360-performance-analysis-video

FYI I was in Gamestop over the weekend and saw this going 2nd hand for €17.99 on 360. Played it for an hour last night and really loved it. I think it'll keep me going for a long time!

Took me a good 65 hours for a fairly complete run through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Bought it new today in GameStop for €19.98.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Got this today, looking forward to it!

Got a bit bored of Sky

After finally finishing Crysis 2 the other day I was looking for something from my backlog to play and I settled on Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. I'm still in the starting area of the game, about ten minutes in. The game looks a lot different than I was expecting. I didn't realise the camera was going to be so close to the action, like a third-person action game. Also the camera moves around very quickly which I hope doesn't lead to motion sickness. I did reduce the sensitivity of the camera in the options so hopefully that will help.

I found it a bit strange that I received an e-mail today from EA welcoming me to the world of Amalur.

Can anyone tell me how long this game is? Am I looking at a big time investment if I try to complete everything including side quests?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I think it's about 100 hours if you take you time and explore everywhere.

humanji wrote: »
    I think it's about 100 hours if you take you time and explore everywhere.

Wow.

Main quest line it is then.

I'm close to 4 hours into Amalur now and I'm starting to enjoy it. I found it a bit tough to get into at the beginning but that might have been more down to me only having a few minutes here and there to play. There certainly is a LOT to take in. From levelling up skills, combat skills, choosing your destiny, crafting and potions.

The world seems huge too but you can't walk 30 seconds without bumping into someone wanting to send you on a side quest. The world also looks beautiful. So nice to play such a colourful game. Far too many gritty games this generation. I'm going to try to stick with it when I have time for playing on a console.

I finished the main quest in Amalur tonight. I really enjoyed my time with the game. I concentrated mainly on just the main story and it took me just under 24 hours of game time. I'm not sure if I will continue to play and wrap up some of the side-quests and factions missions.

I'm really glad though that I gave this game a chance. When it first came out it didn't sound like a game that I would enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I finished the main quest in Amalur tonight. I really enjoyed my time with the game. I concentrated mainly on just the main story and it took me just under 24 hours of game time. I'm not sure if I will continue to play and wrap up some of the side-quests and factions missions.

I'm really glad though that I gave this game a chance. When it first came out it didn't sound like a game that I would enjoy.

The 4 Faction Quests are good, you can do them after finishing the main quest, although I did before. The Warsworn one in particular, although beginning with a simple enough "Let's go here and kill these wolves", it escalates pretty quickly and has a few minor ties with the main quest.

I put about 35-40 hours in, done the Factions, the Main and some side stories.

One thing that annoyed me a little was the Armor Sets. I spent ages trying to get one, but always ended up with mismatch, then when piling points into Blacksmithing and Sagecraft, realised I could make ridiculously more powerful weapons and armors than any set could possibly provide, go to a Fateweaver, and take all the points out of Blacksmithing and Sagecraft and reinvest them. Only setting me back 40k gold or so

Advertisement