Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Me Against The World...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Saturday

6:10 alarm. In the park running by 6:40. 19km @ 4:50-5:00 pace, then 5k @race pace (slightly below), so roughly 21min for the 5k. Not bad. Another 2k @5:15 for. 26km in 2:04. Done by 8:45 and now sitting in the airport with a bag of haribo!!! :)

Reckon I must be the first person ever to actually put on weight while training for their first marathon. This is bloody ridiculous. I feel like Tunney....

Update time...

So Sunday (Sept 2)morning I dragged Michelle out for a run in Bilbao. Recovery run for me, but I brought her up a large hill beside where we were staying which nearly killed her!! Garmin connect shows a 146m elevation gain in the third km, with 24m loss in that km also. So it was very steep!! Poor Michelle was hobbling for days after this! It wasn't overly warm, probably 20-22 degrees (it had been close to 30 the previous week), but then it was 8:30am. 6km total

So the total for that week was 78.85km from 59.42 and 39.39 the previous weeks. Big jumps, but I wouldn't expect it to grow much from here.

Monday 3rd
    I had sussed out a track near to the hotel for some 800s. It had hosted a European Cup 10k race about 6 weeks before London :D
    Anyway, the track opened at 9, so I was there at 8:50 warmed up and ready to go. 8*800 with 200m recoveries. Would have liked to do more, but I wanted to get back to the hotel before breakfast stopped, and it was very humid. Still no sign of the searing heat though thankfully, but I'm sure I would have struggled to do any more than the 8 reps. 3:57-3:02 for the reps, and 15.5k done. And I didn't get charged for the use of the track :pac:

Dragged Michelle to the pool in the early evening. Need to get her much more comfortable in the water if shes to start training for a tri next year. Let her do her own thing as she gets self-conscious if I'm watching, so I did about 1600m with the pull-bouy.

Tuesday 4th
    This was a 12 hour day of driving to view 3 churches, and 3 potential venues with the planner. We had viewed a fourth on our own on Sunday. So no training done, but I drove about 500km, on the wrong side of the road. Bloody tiring.

Wednesday 5th
    Visits to photographers, videographer, florist, etc in the morning. Getting off topic here, but once I'd ditched Michelle in a hairdressers, I headed back to the hotel and out for an easy 7km. However it was 1:30 before I got out and bloody warm.

Thursday 6th
    8:15 start for 6*2km at marathon pace with 1min recoveries. Was getting warm again by the last rep and this was to be the first day to get comfortably above 25 degrees. glad to get this done early. 16km.

Friday 7th
    Out at 9 for an easy 8km, back up that steep hill, but on my own this time :pac: . Another very warm day.

Saturday 8th was travel day so nothing done.

Sunday 9th.
    It was 25degrees at sunrise at 7:30 when I set out for my long run. It was 30 when I got back 2hours15 later. 26km done and all started with another bloody steep hill. I'd have died in Austria this summer.

72.76km this week, with 5 run days, so happy with that. And some massive deserts consumed!!

Monday 10th
    9km easy, 3km or so on the beach. Nice :D

Tuesday 11th
    Painful hill repeats. 8*what turned out to be a 290m stretch, and fairly steep. Again, 8 was plenty of reps in that heat.

Wednesday 12th
    Easy 8km and the latest morning run of the week starting at 9:30

Thursday 13th
    A morning run attempt was aborted after about a mile with some "digestion issues". Back out in the evening when it had cooled down. Did a steady 10km, purely because I wanted to get off the road I was on before it got dark which it did very quickly. Easy jog then once back onto lit streets for 18km total.

Friday 14th
    Easy 8km, which I did off-road so it was fairly challenging.

Saturday 15th
    Took the day off!

Sunday 16th
    I bumped into a mate I havent seen in a while in the park a few weeks back and he told me about a run group that goes out for long runs on a Sunday morning in the park and invited me to join. Flight landed at 00:30 on Sunday morning, it was 1:30 before we were back in the apartment with bare cupboards, so when my alarm went again at 7:15 to get to the 8:00 run start I wasn't a happy camper. Less so when I saw the first bit of rain in two weeks. A group of 8 out this morning and I was assured that its usually 15+, but yesterdays half marathon would have cut the numbers. Even at that there was a few present who did the half, in impressive times too 75,76,78,84minutes. Good run once we all loosened out and fairly brisk too averaging 4:39 pace for 29.5km. Legs feeling it now though!

So 89.32 km for the week, and that excludes the aborted run on Thursday.

Now I have some sleep to catch up on!

• Advertisement

Monday

Easy 10k, mostly on grass. Left knee is a little sore, like I jarred it a little. Being back tied to the desk again probably not helping.

Tuesday

Left knee was sore all day and I wondered if I was going to be able to run at all. But once I got going it didn't bother me at all. Strange.
    10*800m with 200m recovery. Started with a steady 3:36/km pace, then went mad for the next two before easing back and finishing where I started. So on average I was quicker than the pace held for my 10k pb. Good evenings work, and 18km in total. Knee not too bad after either, but left achilles was sore instead. It was fine come morning though

Wednesday

Easy 9km with some short strides, just to loosen out. Again knee sore during the day but no problem running. Meeting Haggis for a bit of MP work this eve. He's flying so I'm in trouble!!

Thursday Evening

Met up with Haggis in the park for a gentle trot. 3km easy, before 15km @MP (4:15/km in my book). The first 4k was hilly, and into the wind. This it going to be a long evening, and of course Haggis was flying along beside me no bother to him. Eventually, thankfully, we turned around with the wind at our backs for 5/6km and flatter terrain. Of course, now Haggis wanted to be tipping along at 4:00 pace. We met somewhere inbetween. At about 11km I let him push on as he wanted to finish stronger, and I continued at the pace I was at. Averaged about 4:11/km for the 15km, and without the company theres a good chance I'd have talked myself out of it at 10k. Easy 2km+ to finish for a total of 20.4km.

During the run I thought theres no way I could maintain this for 3 hours. No chance. But recovery was fairly quick after, HR coming right down straight away, and no real muscle soreness that would prevent me running or doing a decent bike or swim session today (if I were so inclined), and I though that on the day I'll have a nice taper done, pace will be that little bit slower, more company, maybe, just maybe......

Knee still sore this morning. No problems running on it again, its only after that it gets sore. No other problems, except for getting stiff sitting as a desk all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I would be inclined to get the body used to running at MP -5/10secs for those long tempos, the margin for error can be so small when it comes to the marathon. I have most of the club training at a pace 5mins under their target times on the tempo & interval work so MP should feel a little easier to them when DCM rolls around.

Re knee pain - is it on the outside?

I would be inclined to get the body used to running at MP -5/10secs for those long tempos, the margin for error can be so small when it comes to the marathon. I have most of the club training at a pace 5mins under their target times on the tempo & interval work so MP should feel a little easier to them when DCM rolls around.

Re knee pain - is it on the outside?

Cheers JB, that is kinda the plan alright, and using 4:!5 as the outer limit of where I'll allow tempos to go.

Its a little hard to pinpoint the knee pain, but it seems to be centred on the front/inside of the knee. Just inside of the knee cap, below the large muscle (:rolleyes:) that google tells me is my vastus medialis. If it doesn't hurt when running I'm not overly concerned and would expect it to disappear in the next week or so. It it doesn't, or if it starts to affect me running I'll be getting it checked out.

• Advertisement

So, that knee pain I've been complaining about, basically a result of not enough (any) stretching while on holiday. Now means no running for the next week. I said I wasn't going to race if I was under prepared. This will most likely leave me under prepared as I'll miss my long run this weekend. Marathon dream over??

It was going fairly well too

Friday I hit the pool for 45min. 1km of pull work and some failed attempts at tumble turning

Saturday 31.xx long run with haggis with prob 5/6k at or close to MP. Averaged a 3:15 marathon pace for the full run so confidence was building.

Sunday hungover

Monday 18Km easy averaging 4:40 or thereabouts.

However the knee pain was getting worse every day. Never an issue while running though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

So, that knee pain I've been complaining about, basically a result of not enough (any) stretching while on holiday. Now means no running for the next week. I said I wasn't going to race if I was under prepared. This will most likely leave me under prepared as I'll miss my long run this weekend. Marathon dream over??

Sorry to read this BTH. You were motoring well. Mind yourself :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I am in the same boat - unless I make a miraculous recovery before the end of the week that will be two weeks running missed and just on a hiding to nothing up in Dublin.

Bastards don't allow deferments either :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

catweazle wrote: »
    Bastards don't allow deferments either :mad:

Lost out on that last year myself.

Sure see how things go BTH, would be a shame if you can't start. However, much achieved so far this year already..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Get the knee checked out and hold off making any call on DCM until you see what a physio says.

Get the knee checked out and hold off making any call on DCM until you see what a physio says.

Sorry, seems that I hadn't mentioned that it was a physio that said no running for a week. Going back into him on Monday, but missing a week at this stage and given my limited prep anyway, I'm probably better off sitting it out.

My intention all along was to only race if I had the work done, to ensure it had minimal impact on my winter. To get the work done each session and each week was going to be vital. I don't have the miles in the legs to bluff a marathon, even a slower one, and I know that. No point in being stupid and risking it for the sake of it.

5 days in Rome, and with the marathon now off the cards the hair was let down a little. Back in the physio today and another week without running. Not surprised as while theres been improvement, there was a lot of walking in Rome, and I didn't get as much stretching etc as I'd have liked to. Must dust down that bike again, and also dig out a pair of swimming togs. Its been a while....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Sorry to hear about the marathon - you should probably join the post-race celebrations regardless though. It would be rude not to seeing as the hair has been let down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What's the long term prognosis with your knee BTH? Do you know what caused it and how to prevent it re-occurring once it's healed?

Sorry to hear you're missing out on DCM.

claralara wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the marathon - you should probably join the post-race celebrations regardless though. It would be rude not to seeing as the hair has been let down :)

Cheers CL. Must still book the Tuesday off from work alright. I do like an occasional drink:D
    pgibbo wrote: »
    What's the long term prognosis with your knee BTH? Do you know what caused it and how to prevent it re-occurring once it's healed?

Sorry to hear you're missing out on DCM.

Not sure what the long term prognosis is to be honest. The physio I was going to was one I could get at short notice. We works in the same place as my usual guy, but the usual guy wasn't available. He reckons that my knee rolls in slightly, and the increase mileage, reduced stretching (who stretches on holiday) and lack of swimming and biking to loosen it out all contributed to this causing the pain I have been experiencing. I've been in with him each of the last 3 Mondays and there has been little to no improvement (except the improvement I would have expected due to not running anyway). He has basically just rubbed out all the tight spots in my leg to loosen out the muscles that might have caused the strain, and has me doing one legged squats to strengthen the knee. I'm not going back to him and I'll be seeking out someone else next week (probably this Ciaran Fitzpatrick guy I've heard so much about) for a second opinion. Would feel awkward going to the usual guy whos in the same building as the guy I'm ditching.

On another note, last week I set my turbo up for winter, and got back in the pool. Two bike spins over the weekend which were good, and my first club swim session on Monday was a tough affair, but enjoyable and encouraging to see that I can swim a 42sec 50 relatively comfortably. The 200s were a much bigger struggle, but still miles ahead of where I was this time last year!

Been sick (blocked up nose and very sore throat) since then though and feeling miserable generally. Drugging myself up nicely here!!

• Advertisement

Second opinion got. Now I've been told that my glutes on one side are working perfectly, while the otherside is completely asleep and doing nothing. Any bit of wonder I got injured with that imbalance. So I need to wake those up before I run again. But at least that's better than the other guy. He never even looked at my glutes.

Lots of swimming so. Great.

Suppose I should update this with a little activity of late. The last week has seen 3 swims totalling about 8k, a 45min easy turbo during the week and two 3hour group spins this weekend. Cracking weather for the group spins.

Feels like I'm not really training at all though as despite over 9 hours done there's no running yet, so it's not real training yet..

Another week gone by, another week not running.

Monday was the club swim session. Swimming 400s off 6:40, 200s off 3:10 and after 2300m Interested announces 3*100 on 1:30. Ouch ouch ouch. Got through then though.

Tuesday I did nothing.

Wednesday morning, back in the pool, 3k set with 4 sets of 5*100 not overly concerned about the clock but think i was about 1:35-37 pace.

An easy 45min on the turbo that evening.

Thursday back to the physio, still no go ahead to start running, but there has been improvement.

Friday Evening swim session, 1100m of drills, then 4*400 on 6:40. Handy enough.

Saturday I got out for about 75km on the bike on my own. Nice day out.

Sunday nothing again, morning spent at the marathon expo.

Monday morning was spent cheering on at mile 19 of the marathon, the afternoon spent in Toners, then McGrattans. :D

I'll not be doing any training today either....

Great weeks training last week. A total of 5 hours, two swim sessions (5.2km) and a 3hour bike (86km) on Saturday.

Really think its time I got my act together...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

BTH wrote: »
    Great weeks training last week. A total of 5 hours, two swim sessions (5.2km) and a 3hour bike (86km) on Saturday.

Really think its time I got my act together...

I think (hope) that's what this time of year is for.. I'm off running too at the moment trying to get fixed, and somewhat going through the motions on cycling and swimming. Sounds like you've been getting in some decent swims recently!

kingQuez wrote: »
    I think (hope) that's what this time of year is for.. I'm off running too at the moment trying to get fixed, and somewhat going through the motions on cycling and swimming. Sounds like you've been getting in some decent swims recently!

It is, but at the same time, I've not raced since mid August, and its about time I got my act together. The TI awards night, and too much wine also making me feel sh1t. I've done a bit of swimming, but only because the club sessions are back on and I know how much these helped me last year. Time to get back on track now with a bit of consistency.

Day one on the wagon....
    Club swim last night, main set included 5*(4*50 on 70) 60sec between sets. Then 4*100 on 3:00. Easy repeat times, right. Except 50s had to be under 40sec, and 100s under 1:25. Still not well after the wine on Saturday, but I managed to hang on. Averaged 37/8 for the 50s and all in under 40. 100s were 1:22/20/22/22. Not a massively long set, total 2200m, but I'm shattered....

First Week back on the Wagon

Monday - Swim session as per previous post

Tuesday - Easy hour on the turbo. Nothing of note in this

Wednesday - AM Swim 3k, with 20*100 on 1:45, numbers 5,10,15,20 2:00 repeats, but coming in on 1:30 for these. 1:35ish for the remainder. Also did Griffin100s kick challenge. Faded a little on the last 5 100s, but happy enough with the effort and a good point to build from.

Wednesday - PM 70min turbo with 4*10min @ moderate effort. Had hoped to do 5*10min, but legs starting to feel it a bit during the 4th, so I scratched the last one. No point in doing too much too soon.

Thursday - AM Swim. 2.5k, 8*25kick on 45, 4*50 on 50 (under 45), 200easy 4*100 on 1:45 (in 1:32ish) 200easy, 4*100 on 1:45 (in 1:35ish) 200easy, 4*75 on 1:20 as 25easy25hard25easy &cd. Happy enough with this. A clubmate joined me at the start of the 100s, so a bit of company for the set was good.

Thursday - PM Easy hour on the turbo again with 6*6sec max sprints. Three turbo days in a row hurting the rear end!!!

Friday - PM Group swim with lots of hard 50s and 100s. Took everything I had to get the 100s close to 1:30. Massive difference to Mondays session. Shows the difference between leading out the lane, and sitting third! Was tired going in to this anyway, Michelle had a work night out on Thursday and woke me up at 4am when she got home. :rolleyes:

Saturday - Early spin with Swords. 75km in just under 2:30hours.

Sunday - Group spin with the club. Good group out and we rolled along fairly well. Someone :rolleyes: brought us the long way round and ended up doing about 10k more than intended. Good spin though. 106km in 3:40.

So a good week put down. 50m shy of 10km in the pool, and over 300km on the bike. Back in with the physio on Thursday, and I intend on going for a tentative jog on Wednesday to see if I have any reaction from the knee before going in. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Good luck with the jog. Not pleaseant being a spectator.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Good to see you back on the wagon dude! Is the Swords spin the one that leaves Blake's Cross at 8:30am? I used to go out with those guys way back (3 years ago), I was as green! Learned a lot from them, sound lads (and girl or two).

• Advertisement

Good to see you back on the wagon dude! Is the Swords spin the one that leaves Blake's Cross at 8:30am? I used to go out with those guys way back (3 years ago), I was as green! Learned a lot from them, sound lads (and girl or two).

Yeah, it's be blakes cross group. Early start to spin out but a good pace and done and dusted before 11.

Down the sticks this weekend if you fancy meeting in Roscommon Sunday morning??

Advertisement