Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Me Against The World...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Excellent, it should all come to a head in London in September then :) I will be at the height of my powers by then! TBH I am confident that I'll be going well by the end of June/beginning of July.

The MSB 5k is a top event, I will be doing it myself and all going well I should clock close to my PB of 18:13, if I do I will be thrilled. I have the Tuam 8k next weekend for one simple reason: remind me what it is like to race and remind me why I do all the training. It's been so long that getting back into can be difficult as the motivation is low. For me the reason I train is because I love racing and competition, so after the race I will be motivated to push on and improve.

So it will be a great summer of racing and I think the National Aquathon Champs in Galway is as good as any place to reignite the rivalry ;)

Oh yeah, wait until after I'm married to race me :rolleyes:

Your 5k pb seems a little soft, but then we don't get to race 5ks all that often anyway. I'll certainly be hoping to be a decent amount under 18 anyway. We'll have to see on the day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

BTH wrote: »
    Cheers Sean. Only seven Tris this year. I did ten last year :eek:, one of which was a HIM, so definitely taking the foot off the gas a little.

That's a serious amount. I'd say it helped keep you race sharp but was there any point where the sheer number of races started to have a detrimental effect, where a weekend of training might have been a better option?
    Or are you just at the point where you can take it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Oh yeah, wait until after I'm married to race me :rolleyes:

Your 5k pb seems a little soft, but then we don't get to race 5ks all that often anyway. I'll certainly be hoping to be a decent amount under 18 anyway. We'll have to see on the day though.

Sure if you do MSB won't I race ya there! :)

18:13 soft? I was very happy at the time, it came in Dec 2011 but I haven't done a 5k since then. Had I done one in June of last year I am convinced it would have been close to 17:30. Hopefully that will come sometime this year. You'll certainly go well under 18 if you decide to do it.

Basster wrote: »
    That's a serious amount. I'd say it helped keep you race sharp but was there any point where the sheer number of races started to have a detrimental effect, where a weekend of training might have been a better option?
    Or are you just at the point where you can take it?!

I spaced out my races fairly well last year, very seldom racing consecutive weeks, so I don't think my performances suffered too much. My last tri of the season was probably my best performance. However I did a half marathon two weeks after that and I under-performed, as I hadn't the specific work done for that. I'd only one 20km+ run done in the previous 3 months, which left me struggling during the race. I don't feel my tris suffered though, and I had a very good winters training done as well which certainly helps.

Very happy with my race schedule for 2013 though. July being all sprints, and having plenty of time between subsequent races to get some decent training done in the lead up to those races.

Sure if you do MSB won't I race ya there! :)

18:13 soft? I was very happy at the time, it came in Dec 2011 but I haven't done a 5k since then. Had I done one in June of last year I am convinced it would have been close to 17:30. Hopefully that will come sometime this year. You'll certainly go well under 18 if you decide to do it.

Any PB set by a triathlete in December is a soft PB. I know your training isn't going all to plan at the moment, but once you get any bit of consistency you'll break that easily enough in March. Hence the "soft" tag.

Going under 18 will be my minimum target if I race 10 March...... :D

Friday evening

Swim session with some max sprint efforts. These killed me, my legs in particular. Shattered afterwards. 2750m in total

Saturday Morn
    Was supposed to meet a club mate for a bike spin, but the directions I gave him to the meeting place were a little off, so we both did solo spins. 104k in 3:30. Windy and dodgy legs from swimming meant this was a little bit of a struggle. Still, better than cycling on Sunday.....

Sunday
    "Long" run around the hills and muck in the park with little spits of snow. Much nicer to run than cycle in the cold. 14.something km @5min/km pace. Hills made this tough.

Week
    Solid week, just shy of 14 hours, 11.95km swim/229km bike/43km run. Getting there, slowly but surely....

• Advertisement

Any PB set by a triathlete in December is a soft PB. I know your training isn't going all to plan at the moment, but once you get any bit of consistency you'll break that easily enough in March. Hence the "soft" tag.

Going under 18 will be my minimum target if I race 10 March...... :D

Well you have more confidence in me than I do myself! :) I agree with the consistency being the key though.

Well you have more confidence in me than I do myself! :) I agree with the consistency being the key though.

You out ran me in Athy, you'll be fine..

Monday Lunch

Easy 30min run. Left glute/hamstring very very tight. 4:55 pace for 6.8k

Monday Eve
    Club swim, 3*400 on 6:30,3*200 on 3:10, 4*100 on 1:35. All relatively comfortable sitting mid pack, only problem being the fact that it feels like you're swimming in a washing machine hence taking on a lot of water, and a combination of a wayward left arm, and poor quality lane ropes leaving me with a sore thumb nail, and a massive bruise on my elbow. Theres a new fish in these sessions too. Showing us all up.. 2850m in total

Tuesday eve

65min on the turbo, mostly easy with a couple of max efforts. 37km done

Wednesday Morn
    Early dip in the pool with a main set of 200,400,600,800 on 1:45 pace repeats. Really wasn't up for this and nearly rolled over when the alarm went. Despite a WU, my pace for the 600&800 was faster than that for the 200*400!! Took a while to get going, but averaged below 1:35 pace. Few other bits and pieces to make up 3250m in an hour.

Wednesday eve
    Easy 60min run. This felt unbelievably easy, and HR stayed very very low. Again around 4:50 pace for 13+km.

Thursday Morn
    Another splash, few drills, kick etc, then 7*200 on 3:30 and 8*100 pull&band. 3600m total in 75min.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

^Some very good swimming up there, nice one. Do you plan on doing any swim-only events in 2013?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    ^Some very good swimming up there, nice one. Do you plan on doing any swim-only events in 2013?

Certainly none planned anyway. If something fits in around other events then possibly, but it would be the likes of the escape from Ireland swim and not a 3/5/10k marathon effort though! Missing all of June leaves the calender fairly tight!

I'm just doing enough to keep my nose ahead of you on the SBR challenge!!

I'm just doing enough to keep my nose ahead of you on the SBR challenge!!

Your SBR swim numbers are what convinced me to man up and do the swim today. I had a bottle of painkillers and a good excuse to skip it, but I want to keep you in sight (distance-wise if not speed-wise;)):D

• Advertisement

Your SBR swim numbers are what convinced me to man up and do the swim today. I had a bottle of painkillers and a good excuse to skip it, but I want to keep you in sight (distance-wise if not speed-wise;)):D

Just seen that there. Thats a bloody brave effort for a couple of days after surgery, fair play. If only Tunney had half of your HTFU he'd be flying. Was told by a consultant on Tuesday that I need to get my tonsils out but I've told him it'll have to wait until after the season!

Just seen that there. Thats a bloody brave effort for a couple of days after surgery, fair play. If only Tunney had half of your HTFU he'd be flying. Was told by a consultant on Tuesday that I need to get my tonsils out but I've told him it'll have to wait until after the season!

Nice going there KG!

BTH - talking from (painful) experience. If the throat infections become more aggressive and more frequent you will not have a choice and end up in hospital very sick....they will have to come out then and it takes a longer recovery. Might be best do it asap. Then again they could last another year or two for all I know! How frequent are infections?

BTH - talking from (painful) experience. If the throat infections become more aggressive and more frequent you will not have a choice and end up in hospital very sick....they will have to come out then and it takes a longer recovery. Might be best do it asap. Then again they could last another year or two for all I know! How frequent are infections?

The infections themselves are only are regular as I let them. I've had a decent run of it this last 3 months, because I behaved myself in the pre-christmas madness, and didn't try to burn the candle at both ends too much. Had a bit of an issue over new years, but again, I managed it well, eased off a little for a few days and rest/hot drinks/honey etc. However, I have a constant catch in my throat, which doesn't go away, ever. Apparently lots of scar tissue in there, but I've been dealing with the problem 12 years now, so another 9months won't hurt. Theres also the wedding to worry about too, so thats the main excuse I'm using :rolleyes:

Anyway, you just want me to stop training for a few weeks. :mad:

The infections themselves are only are regular as I let them. I've had a decent run of it this last 3 months, because I behaved myself in the pre-christmas madness, and didn't try to burn the candle at both ends too much. Had a bit of an issue over new years, but again, I managed it well, eased off a little for a few days and rest/hot drinks/honey etc. However, I have a constant catch in my throat, which doesn't go away, ever. Apparently lots of scar tissue in there, but I've been dealing with the problem 12 years now, so another 9months won't hurt. Theres also the wedding to worry about too, so thats the main excuse I'm using :rolleyes:

Anyway, you just want me to stop training for a few weeks. :mad:

Haha...rumbled! Damn you you gin...! :D

In fairness you seem to have it in hand. Me? Not so much....things got very hairy, it all ended with a rush to hospital, a bag of blood and an operation as I sat in a chair wide awake (throat numbed) :o I'll never, ever forget it :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Had four throat infections since September.

Not coming back into this thread...

Forgot to add to my last update that I weighed myself on Tuesday eve. Scales aint working, so I used the Wii :) Anyway, 71.7kg, and practically unchanged from the last time I weighted myself on the Wii, 540odd days earlier! Well, at least I'm not losing weight :rolleyes:

Thursday Eve
    85min turbo session. Damn hard work and I had wrinkly bath hands afterwards.

Friday Lunch
    Was supposed to be an easy run, but in an effort to fight the frozen rain pelting my face, and the icy wind on my bare legs I ran this a little faster than planned. This year my coach has lowered my easy running target HR from by 8 beats from last year. Basically wants be running slow. The good part is that pace has come back in line with last years pace for the higher effort. So, in this run, I actually averaged last years easy running target HR, but my average pace was down to 4:33/km :D 9.5km or thereabouts of character building slog!!

Friday Eve
    Swim session, with a negative split 800, 2*400, 4*200, & 4*50 which left me suitably toasted by the end. 2900m

Saturday Morn
    With the cold, wind, rain/slow/sleet, probable floods, I decided to stay indoors for my long bike. I managed the full 3hours on the turbo, but I did hop off every so often for a minute or two, to give the auld tush a break.. Torturous.

Sunday
    I made my IMRA debut out at the Howth race. This hurt. Did a little recie with a clubmate beforehand. The start took us around the football pitches, before the course narrowed to single file. SO everyone took off like a hare, and I was well back, probably around 30th hitting the single file section. Up the first mud filled incline, and I managed to pick off a couple of places here and there. I also noticed that my clubmate was a couple of places ahead as this stage. So much for his plan to take it easy and finish around 40th!! At the start of the first descent a marshall was counting out positions, 24th. Took a place or two on the descent but lost 2 as well, as two guys when steaming past. Feeling good though, and not problems so far. Trying to keep the clubmate in sight up the second incline, and across the rocky summit, before a crazy winding tree covered steep descent. The guy in front of me took a major wobble at the bottom, and I went around him. The two who had flown past on the earlier descent were also in sight as was the clubmate as I hit the bottom. The climb back up was a much slower affair, with some steps, and massive boulders which reduced the pace to walking at times. Managed to pick off a few on this section, and over the summit I overtook my clubmate. Another descent which was uneventful, before a another crawling incline, when I overtook a guy who had clearly gone out too hard as we was walking very slowly with him hands on his hips! At the top there was a flatish section before the ascent to the mast. I could see one guy about 20m ahead, another 20m further, then a large group further ahead, who looked beyond catching. Quickly closed in on the first and overtook when the path widened briefly. Had a feeling it wasn't the last I saw of him as he was moving well. Caught the shoulder of the second guy at the beginning of the climb to the mast and the marshall called out 15 & 16th. Moved past him (he was starting to struggle) into 15th half way up but when I arrived at the top I got a little worried, as I could no longer see the large group and as a result I couldnt see where I was to go. Somehow picked the right path, and down a steep descent before a shallower section. At this point the earlier guy came back past me but I couldnt do much as my legs were starting to tire and I wasn't as light on my feet as I was earlier. Last section of the descent was very very mucky. A little bend, but one foot slipped. Then the other foot slipped, then the first again, and all I could see was a tree I was headed straight for, with no traction, gravity pushing me along. Somehow managed to avoid it at the last minute, and back onto the pitches for a flat finish. Guy was only about 10m ahead, but I was at my limit and not catching him. I certainly wasn't moving fast though! Crossed the line in 16th, not a bad days work I suppose :D

Left glute very tight/sore even after stretching and my thighs are pretty tender today.

Nice one, thats a decent showing for your first hill race. Howth is a b*tch for the congestion after the start, so you may well have finished higher if you had entered the single file climb higher up the field. Love the muddy downhill battle with gravity and the tree, well won!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Looks like the layoff did you no harm at all. Great stuff BTH! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Congrats on the IMRA debut and the 16th place, race sounds interesting!

Also 3 hours on a turbo...ouch :eek::)

Nice going BTH! I did 4 IMRA runs in 2010 - the Leinster Winter League, very very enjoyable. Will you be doing any more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Well done - sounds like you've got some good moves going on. How are you as a dancer? ;)

Nice one, thats a decent showing for your first hill race. Howth is a b*tch for the congestion after the start, so you may well have finished higher if you had entered the single file climb higher up the field. Love the muddy downhill battle with gravity and the tree, well won!
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Looks like the layoff did you no harm at all. Great stuff BTH! :cool:
    Congrats on the IMRA debut and the 16th place, race sounds interesting!

Also 3 hours on a turbo...ouch :eek::)
    Nice going BTH! I did 4 IMRA runs in 2010 - the Leinster Winter League, very very enjoyable. Will you be doing any more?
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    Well done - sounds like you've got some good moves going on. How are you as a dancer? ;)

Thanks all. Happy with the result considering where I'm coming from in late 2012.
    @ElD hoping to do a couple more, but a toe problem might rule me out of Ticknock this weekend. We'll see.
    @DD I'm an excellent dancer (after a few drinks)

My feet are falling apart. After last Wednesdays run I had a small blister between the big toe and second toe on my right foot. Since the Sunday race the otherside of my right foot big toe has been quite sore, and slightly red/swollen. Then....

Monday Lunch
    Easy 30min run, stiff from the IMRA race but not too bad. Not problems from the big toe. But after the run the little toe on my left foot was black, looks like another nail on its way out.

Monday Eve
    Club swim. 20*100 on various repeat times, but 8 in a row off 1:35 were tasty. Also some 50m sprints. 3000m total. Legs felt very very heavy, not surprising.

Tuesday Eve
    60min Turbo. Little toe a bit tender getting shoes on, but no prob after that. 20min steady, 6*10sec sprints 20min steady.

Wednesday Morn
    Early swim, was supposed to be a test session until I noticed the pool clock was broken and I'd no watch with me. Pissed, but got on with a session, drills, 3*(3*200) with what I hoped were 10sec breaks. Totalled 3.5k

Wednesday eve
    16km easy run. 4:48 pace for 138 avg hr. No problems from existing toe problems, but 3/4 of the way through I noticed a small pain in the middle toe on my left foot. Nothing major, just a tiny bit of blood when I got home, no noticeable damage.

In bed early to get up and do the swim tests with the help of a watch. Until 3:30 this morning when I'm lying in bed, wide awake, and a throbbing pain in my right foot big toe again. Very very sore, two painkillers and about two hours later I eventually got back to sleep. Wrecked tired and no chance I was getting up to do a swim session. Toe isn't anywhere near as bad today. I'll be running at lunch tomorrow and if there's any problems from that I'll not be racing IMRA this weekend. Also have to try and get that test done too which will be tough to fit in. Sat morning before IMRA would be cutting it tight as pool only opens at 9 and IMRA sign on closes at 10:30. :mad:

Stupid toes....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Gotta be runners problems surely?

Have you looked at a different pair/type?

Fazz wrote: »
    Gotta be runners problems surely?

Have you looked at a different pair/type?

Its something I've considered, but I did the IMRA race in trail shoes I've used for two winters now, and last night I ran in my trusty Kinvaras which have done a decent amount of work without being near their end of life either. So neither shoe is new, and on the otherhand, neither is ready for the dump just yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What about toenails? Have caused me plenty of issues int he past if not very short and smooth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

All the signs of a tight toebox. Have the feet felt swollen at all since the race at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

All the signs of a tight toebox. Have the feet felt swollen at all since the race at the weekend.

HEHEHE tight box.........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

How often do you cut your toenails and do you file them?

I don't like a tight toebox. If a shop that doesn't know me, or doesn't look at the shoes I bring in to say "this is what I like" (looking at you Runways), then they will put me in a half size smaller than I prefer.

Both Runways and the Saucony rep in Frankfurt put me in a 9. I *can* wear a nine but I prefer a 9.5 - I am a firm believer that that extra half size helps my toes #NeverLostANail, AmphianKing (Bray and West) get me and go the size up.

pgibbo wrote: »
    What about toenails? Have caused me plenty of issues int he past if not very short and smooth

Toenails are kept pretty tidy as I know these can cause problems (and look terrible/disgusting).

Wouldn't say feet were swollen at all, just a small bit at the edge of the nail where its also red. If I were to guess I'd say its more like a small infection :confused:

I was really looking forward to smashing that 400TT as well. :mad:

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    How often do you cut your toenails and do you file them?

I don't like a tight toebox. If a shop that doesn't know me, or doesn't look at the shoes I bring in to say "this is what I like" (looking at you Runways), then they will put me in a half size smaller than I prefer.

Both Runways and the Saucony rep in Frankfurt put me in a 9. I *can* wear a nine but I prefer a 9.5 - I am a firm believer that that extra half size helps my toes #NeverLostANail, AmphianKing (Bray and West) get me and go the size up.

Last summer I was cutting them before every race as my race shoes were a very snug fit. No idea how often I cut them these days, memory wouldn't be my strong point anyway, but as I said I keep em pretty tidy. No nail filing though :rolleyes:

Most of my running is in Kinvara 3 in a size 10. I've 500km on them and a pair of K2s in a 10 beforehand, so I know it aint that shoe. I haven't bought new running shoes recently other than a new pair of K3s which are ready to go when these do bite the dust, but they're still in the box.

Advertisement