Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peppa Pig is evil?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

For me with Peppa the most annoying this is the music - de de-de de-de, de-de-de-de de-de. Round and round it goes in my head like some crazy circus music until I can almost feel my sanity start to slip away.

I'm also concerned my 2 year old son is developing a crush on Dora.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sleepy wrote: »
    How old is the youngest? I recently acquired copies of the Mysterious Cities of Gold, Thundercats and Dogtanian for our 6 year old.

Some of the TV of our youth was *way* ahead of the stuff they have now... then again, looking back on much of it (He-Man, Mask, Transformers etc.) an awful lot of it was little more than advertising!

Youngest is 2.5. Her brother watched all the Mysterious cities but, again, in French. I was never a huge fan of Dogtanian but I've just remembered Willy Fogg. Must try get hold of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

Abi wrote: »

Bear in the Big blue house, love this programme! I just love the otters Pip and Pop, harmless fun for littlies :)

o.

I think that this programme is an abomination and must be banned now! Principally, my problem is with Luna! The so called moon! Otherwise known as the pervert. " I've been watching you today bear, I've seen everything you've been doing, bear" in that sultry durty, durty voice of hers. And as for Bear himself, what is a grown man doing living in a house with children who are not related to him? I demand an enquiry now!

*mod warning*
    Any more posts like this in the parenting forums and you will be getting an infraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

i watched peppa again this evening with an ear for the complaints
    Peppa is a very bossy little madam, but she is precisely 20% less bossy than my 3rd old girl when in the company of other children and she is at lest 20% more polite to those same other children then i have ever heard a real child be.
    A great many children get rewards for eating their veg and a great many children laugh at their parents mistakes.
    Who doesn't want to jump in muddy puddles? and if you cant stop your child jumping on the way to school then that is your fault not a silly cartoon. Just let them jump on the way home, they remember very quickly.
    daddy pig is badly treated, but only in the sense the modern children are more questioning - when i tell my daughter that her nanna used the wooden spoon on us when were naughty as children she asked did i slap her on the bum and why not? it does not occur to her that nanna could not be hit back.
    All in all it is not the worst thing children could be watching. it is especially useful on a day like today with 2 sick children and a teething baby in the house, just got us over the line to bedtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

From reading this thread I can only deduce that far to many adults / parents are spending far to much time watching cartoons. They should really get out in the fresh air more.

• Advertisement

From reading this thread I can only deduce that far to many adults / parents are spending far to much time watching cartoons. They should really get out in the fresh air more.

What if it's raining?

What if it's raining?

Go out and splash in some muddy puddles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Has anyone seen the funny or die's version of the rug rats very funny

gcgirl wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the funny or die's version of the rug rats very funny
    Do tell:

I find a good option outside of cartoons is the National geographic films about nature. Elephants are good as a starter for the younger kids. Elephants are nice.

Maybe move from there to penguins (March of the penguins):

Then move onto the predators i.e. lions,'The Last lions' is a great film about life that is one to watch:
    Better than any cartoon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

allprops wrote: »
    It's Dora I worry about, a young child with a monkey for a friend wandering on her own! Where are the parents? Where are the bloody parents?
    That monkey's dad is managing to hold down a 9-5 office job. He is a great role model for monkeys wherever they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

My little one said 'naughty daddy' to me the other day, which was fine because I had eaten Mummy's crisps :))

No harm in it as far as I can see, gives them a bit of spirit & humour.

So got Willy Fog and started watching it. Three episodes in and my son hit his sister a dig (in an unrelated incident) and I had to ban him from cartoons for a bit but I really want to watch it now!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

There was an episode on the other day where there was a flood and one character was sent to get supplies from the shop and came back with 'chocolate for dinner'..

I was expecting him to be reprimanded but it turns out.. That's what they usually eat for dinner.. chocolate :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Is this Peppa? If so, they don't, they usually eat potato's... Suzie Sheep asked for chocolate though when they were going to get the shopping in the floods... yes, I watch too much Peppa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

xzanti wrote: »
    There was an episode on the other day where there was a flood and one character was sent to get supplies from the shop and came back with 'chocolate for dinner'..

I was expecting him to be reprimanded but it turns out.. That's what they usually eat for dinner.. chocolate :confused:

Are you sure about that :cool:

I'm sure every word, every suggestion, every character is scrutinised 100% by experts who would know about such things. Peppa Pig is sold in many countries, so I doubt they would risk anything like that (usually eating chocolate for dinner), otherwise it would be finished. Personally I think its a very funny & polished cartoon, it keeps the kids enthralled, and there's a few jokes in there for the parents too :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaDfnifopOSVv-jut8wwgXlUS-RBZLJTbfhkRbMH9vSUlPaE9igQ

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Yesterday I was watching Peppa, nothing new there usually have a few episodes a day here, himself is mad about it. Grandpa Pig said something mean to Granddad Dog, to which Peppa reprimanded him saying that he shouldn't say mean things about his friend. Hardly the actions of an "evil" character.

Also she brushes her teeth, goes to the doctor and dentist without complaint and more often than not tries to include her little brother in everything she does.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I find a good option outside of cartoons is the National geographic films about nature. Elephants are good as a starter for the younger kids. Elephants are nice.

Yeah I sat down with my 5 year old to watch Frozen Planet. Queue questions like "Dada, why are there 2 polar bear cubs now instead of 3?", "Why are those penguins dying?" Etc.

"Things die in nature son"
    "Like people do when they're old?"*
    "Yeah, exactly"

Back to watching the program.

*He's turned to me with statements like "You know Dada, sometimes a mommy or a daddy dies and then there's only one person to look after the children." And "Someday Grandma and Grandpa will die, then later you and Mommy will die and then after all that I'll die. But that's ok, it's a very long time away." The things they figure out given a little bit of knowledge can bring up many awkward topics... Mainly I blame Clifford the big red dog for all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Our three year old is still telling everyone that our pet goldfish "Dory died", almost 6 months afterwards despite her grandad arriving up to the house with 3 more fish within a few hours of the death and having lost about 10/20 other fish since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

A parent of a child in my daughters class died a couple of years ago and I had weeks and weeks of interrogations about death and what would happen to her if I died etc.

Some little sh!t was saying to her that she'd go to an orphanage because she doesn't have a dad and she'd have to be adopted and it's really hard for older kids to get adopted etc etc. (too many disney films) so she was very very worried. We have a huge family and there'd be plenty of takers but she bought into the whole "Madeline" scenario.

• Advertisement

My son seems to be OK with death in that when it's someone he knew who was old and passed on that it was just their time after a long life, and he knows we, and eventually he, will die, and it doesn't phase him. But the other day he found some old photos of a cat we had before he was born and who had died and he was utterly distraught because he had never had the chance to meet her before she died and so she wouldn't be in his heart forever.

My 4 year old asked me if re-chargeable batteries would last forever.

Me: Yep.

Her: Even when you go to heaven?

Me: Emmm, Yep.

To be honest, it's a tricky one when you child asks you about re-chargeable batteries in terms of what answers to give, especially when you're not sure of the answers yourself, presumably general use and times between charges will all have an effect on the design life.

I think I'll try to explain to her about the 'Jesus-like' Duracell Bunny when she's a bit older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Masteroid

LordSutch wrote: »
    I'm sure every word, every suggestion, every character is scrutinised 100% by experts who would know about such things. Peppa Pig is sold in many countries, so I doubt they would risk anything like that (usually eating chocolate for dinner), otherwise it would be finished. Personally I think its a very funny & polished cartoon, it keeps the kids enthralled, and there's a few jokes in there for the parents too :)

You mean like McDonald's or Coca-cola? That kind of polished?

My two and a half-year old son absolutely adores Peppa Pig and nothing else will do but I hate her with a passion.

I was in the butcher's with him today and I pointed at the pork and said, "Ooh, look! It's Peppa!"

He didn't have a clue what I was on about but I felt a little better in myself on account of that cheery notion.

I've been discussing Peppa a lot lately in the context of indoctrination and the age at which children are most susceptible to indoctrination and in particular, the symbolism that is chosen to convey the ideas of a given doctrine.

Some of the people I have discussed this with are familiar with Peppa pig and they all attempted to adopt a defensive position with arguments such as, 'It's only a cartoon designed to entertain, it's not meant to be taken seriously.' and 'It keeps my little one entertained so that I can do the washing-up.' for example.

So I ask, "If you met a child who behaved exactly as Peppa does would you find him or her obnoxious?"

It turns out that everyone does know such a child and indeed they do find that child obnoxious and they counter with, "Yes, but I wouldn't put up with that kind of behaviour in my child" and there have been times when I have quietly thought, "But your daughter reminds me of Peppa." All of which leads to another important consideration - which came first? The the ham or the bacon?

Does Peppa Pig simply reflect society as it is or is Peppa Pig responsible for society being the way it is? Daddy or chips?

Well obviously it's 'daddy' isn't it? He's responsible. But to me, it's a far deeper question - surely 'chips', especially when they come with a free coke, undermine 'daddy' to some extent.

So, let's look at the aspect of real society reflected by Peppa the pig. True, selfish children have been indulged in every generation that ever existed so Peppa doesn't represent anything new here. And true, every generation that ever existed has seen the guy wearing the black hat winning. In real life it appears that the bad guys usually do win. Bankers, politicians, insurance companies represent a high level of success in our society. Self-serving, agenda driven people who regard others as nothing more than 'contributors to their well-being'.

Seem harsh? And isn't Peppa the pig actually a megalomaniac? And before you butt in, would you be comfortable letting a young child watch 'Family Guy'?

But seriously, ther is an episode of Peppa Pig where Peppa is being mean and poking fun at George because he's too little to ride a proper bike, the kind of thing she often does as she's a show-off, when one of her friends points out that Peppa's bike is the only one with stabilizers. Instead of learning a lesson in humility, she sulks, refuses to ride with her friends and proceeds to 'sweetly' bark out orders to Daddy pig until she can ride without stabilizers and everyone's happy. Except for me. (I must admit that I think that this could have been balanced to some extent if George's feeling about being treated meanly then seeing karma immediately bring about Peppa's fall from grace had been conveyed. In the vein of the series, perhaps he should have appeared smug.

She then goes on to show-off which results in Daddy pig's pumpkin getting trashed. Poor daddy, he always pays the price. But he's nothing if not enthusiastic, especially when it comes to food, and he cheerfully proclaims that he will make a pumpin pie. Hooray for Peppa! Because of her we can have pumpkin pie.

She shouldn't have got any pie and the bike should have been confiscated for a week. That way, Peppa and her dad could have shared their period of loss but no, bad behaviour saves the day... in episode after episode, and not just Peppa, Pedro the pony is a terrible example, he's always late, it's funny; he always loses thing but they keep trusting him with his ticket anyway; he pretends to feel ill and gets to drive the train or sit up front, and so on.

We tell our children to share, to show humility, respect. Well, we don't but we like to think that we do or would do. Nothing like this is conveyed in Peppa Pig and any behaviour learned from Peppa Pig is bound to be dissonant with any attempts to convey such things in the real world.

And I started with words like 'indoctrination' and 'susceptible' - What does Peppa Pig 'say' to our kids? Who is saying it and why?

Do we care? Should we care? You used the term 'polished' and alluded to the fact that there are indeed tight restrictions on what is presented to children in just about all forms of broadcast which is as it should be but these are the same kinds of bodies that allow McDonald's and Coca-cola to advertise in schools. Is that 'right'?

If you are saying that Peppa Pig is 'harmless' by virtue of the 'fact' that 'they' wouldn't allow anything to be broadcast that might have an adverse effects on society then I would say that you need to be careful - that is a whole heap of assumptions which have more evidence that undermine them than supports them. 'They' do allow obesity to become endemic. 'They' do allow alcoholism to develop. 'They' allow us to be poisoned by 'commodities'. In fact, there are very few people that would disagree that modern society is driven by greed, everyone wants to win the lottery, and consumerism is at the very heart of capitalism.

Would 'they' allow a cartoon that serves only to show that selfishness and greed lead directly to success to be shown to small children, a cartoon that directly states that greed and selfishness is routinely rewarded? Would 'they' allow our children to be indoctrinated with a set of values that would tend to support a consumerist society that may be detrimental to their health or social well-being?

Darn tooting 'they' would.

Look at the advertising that goes on during children's programmes. Especially in the run up to Christmas. How much household debt has been incurred directly through that means? (I wonder if there was ever a study that looked at how many children were denied university education because they wanted every version of the PlayStation for Christmas and every available game at arbitrary times in between. And the latest Nike runners of course or Man U strips.)

'They' teach our children much more than we realise and 'they' are the ones foreclosing on our mortgages which can't be paid because of the financial damage caused by the foreclosers. In the same way that Coca-cola created the modern Santa Claus, 'they' might well have created Peppa Pig as part of a pre-school advertising campaign, 'Want it? Have it.'

That's not what I want for my son and I suspect that almost none of us actually want that.

It's the little things they get us on. No-one bats an eyelid now that the run-up to Christmas starts in the middle of January and we have all submitted to the Coca-cola/McDonald's/MicroSoft/Tesco's way.

Modern society has evolved into a system that relies on a large 'sheep' population and a tiny 'lion' minority population. That way, the lions can be happy and the sheep can do everything else. The 'lions' have their own problems but the 'sheep' have more.

The simple things. Peppa Pig seems very simple but therein lies a clue as to the extent of the 'polish'. The language is simple, the ideas are simple, the animation is ultra-simple. Everything about Peppa Pig is simple and that is an important design feature. You see, it's so simple as to appear totally mundane to anyone over a certain mental age but to a three-year old, these ideas are novel, intriguing. Peppa Pig will directly affect the behaviour of a certain number of children, they will 'try it on' to see if it works for them. In fact, Peppa Pig is so simple that it is likely to inform and therefore influence most, if not all, children who develop an interest in it.

Think of it from a CEO of a massive corporation's point of view - here is a programme that can directly lead to selfishly motivated requests to be made by children to parents. 'I want this', I want that', how many requests made would be likely to be acceded to? I reckon that most parents would grant most requests when they can. If you now think in terms of how those numbers convert into trips to McDonald's or a trip to Tesco's to get chocolate cake, etc., it is easy to see how large amounts of money can be made.

Hmm, 'they' wouldn't allow children that have just began their journey of understanding to be the targets of advertising would they? Yes, they would.

As far as keeping the kids quiet is concerned... Yeah? Try walking the push-chair past Peppa Pig merchandise...

Actually, I feel more strongly than I thought I did about this and have therefore decided to start a Campaign Reacting Against Peppa campaign. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paddymayoman

Anyone notice the strange shape of the pigs' heads in peppa pig?:/

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

Im sorry, I stumbled across this thread because it was on the front-page but this is insane.

Pepa pig is a bad influence???

Let me ask you parents. What did you watch when you were growing up.

Scooby doo perhaps? Maybe the flintstones? Tom and jerry? I bet you all turned out really bad.

Kids tv now is far more pc than even 10 years ago, yet there is still complaints!

I see people mentioning god and heaven on this thread. Perhaps instead of pointing out whats wrong with their tv you should look at the fact you are bringing your kids up in a religion with a long history mass murder as well as medical, social and scientific oppression to this day.

Build a bridge, get over it.

Kids will always see things they shouldn't.

Which is better. they see it in a controlled environment on tv where there are usually consequences for the bad party showing acting like that is wrong.

Or in real life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

Masteroid wrote: »
    You mean like McDonald's or Coca-cola? That kind of polished?

My two and a half-year old son absolutely adores Peppa Pig and nothing else will do but I hate her with a passion.

I was in the butcher's with him today and I pointed at the pork and said, "Ooh, look! It's Peppa!"

He didn't have a clue what I was on about but I felt a little better in myself on account of that cheery notion.

I've been discussing Peppa a lot lately in the context of indoctrination and the age at which children are most susceptible to indoctrination and in particular, the symbolism that is chosen to convey the ideas of a given doctrine.

Some of the people I have discussed this with are familiar with Peppa pig and they all attempted to adopt a defensive position with arguments such as, 'It's only a cartoon designed to entertain, it's not meant to be taken seriously.' and 'It keeps my little one entertained so that I can do the washing-up.' for example.

So I ask, "If you met a child who behaved exactly as Peppa does would you find him or her obnoxious?"

It turns out that everyone does know such a child and indeed they do find that child obnoxious and they counter with, "Yes, but I wouldn't put up with that kind of behaviour in my child" and there have been times when I have quietly thought, "But your daughter reminds me of Peppa." All of which leads to another important consideration - which came first? The the ham or the bacon?

Does Peppa Pig simply reflect society as it is or is Peppa Pig responsible for society being the way it is? Daddy or chips?

Well obviously it's 'daddy' isn't it? He's responsible. But to me, it's a far deeper question - surely 'chips', especially when they come with a free coke, undermine 'daddy' to some extent.

So, let's look at the aspect of real society reflected by Peppa the pig. True, selfish children have been indulged in every generation that ever existed so Peppa doesn't represent anything new here. And true, every generation that ever existed has seen the guy wearing the black hat winning. In real life it appears that the bad guys usually do win. Bankers, politicians, insurance companies represent a high level of success in our society. Self-serving, agenda driven people who regard others as nothing more than 'contributors to their well-being'.

Seem harsh? And isn't Peppa the pig actually a megalomaniac? And before you butt in, would you be comfortable letting a young child watch 'Family Guy'?

But seriously, ther is an episode of Peppa Pig where Peppa is being mean and poking fun at George because he's too little to ride a proper bike, the kind of thing she often does as she's a show-off, when one of her friends points out that Peppa's bike is the only one with stabilizers. Instead of learning a lesson in humility, she sulks, refuses to ride with her friends and proceeds to 'sweetly' bark out orders to Daddy pig until she can ride without stabilizers and everyone's happy. Except for me. (I must admit that I think that this could have been balanced to some extent if George's feeling about being treated meanly then seeing karma immediately bring about Peppa's fall from grace had been conveyed. In the vein of the series, perhaps he should have appeared smug.

She then goes on to show-off which results in Daddy pig's pumpkin getting trashed. Poor daddy, he always pays the price. But he's nothing if not enthusiastic, especially when it comes to food, and he cheerfully proclaims that he will make a pumpin pie. Hooray for Peppa! Because of her we can have pumpkin pie.

She shouldn't have got any pie and the bike should have been confiscated for a week. That way, Peppa and her dad could have shared their period of loss but no, bad behaviour saves the day... in episode after episode, and not just Peppa, Pedro the pony is a terrible example, he's always late, it's funny; he always loses thing but they keep trusting him with his ticket anyway; he pretends to feel ill and gets to drive the train or sit up front, and so on.

We tell our children to share, to show humility, respect. Well, we don't but we like to think that we do or would do. Nothing like this is conveyed in Peppa Pig and any behaviour learned from Peppa Pig is bound to be dissonant with any attempts to convey such things in the real world.

And I started with words like 'indoctrination' and 'susceptible' - What does Peppa Pig 'say' to our kids? Who is saying it and why?

Do we care? Should we care? You used the term 'polished' and alluded to the fact that there are indeed tight restrictions on what is presented to children in just about all forms of broadcast which is as it should be but these are the same kinds of bodies that allow McDonald's and Coca-cola to advertise in schools. Is that 'right'?

If you are saying that Peppa Pig is 'harmless' by virtue of the 'fact' that 'they' wouldn't allow anything to be broadcast that might have an adverse effects on society then I would say that you need to be careful - that is a whole heap of assumptions which have more evidence that undermine them than supports them. 'They' do allow obesity to become endemic. 'They' do allow alcoholism to develop. 'They' allow us to be poisoned by 'commodities'. In fact, there are very few people that would disagree that modern society is driven by greed, everyone wants to win the lottery, and consumerism is at the very heart of capitalism.

Would 'they' allow a cartoon that serves only to show that selfishness and greed lead directly to success to be shown to small children, a cartoon that directly states that greed and selfishness is routinely rewarded? Would 'they' allow our children to be indoctrinated with a set of values that would tend to support a consumerist society that may be detrimental to their health or social well-being?

Darn tooting 'they' would.

Look at the advertising that goes on during children's programmes. Especially in the run up to Christmas. How much household debt has been incurred directly through that means? (I wonder if there was ever a study that looked at how many children were denied university education because they wanted every version of the PlayStation for Christmas and every available game at arbitrary times in between. And the latest Nike runners of course or Man U strips.)

'They' teach our children much more than we realise and 'they' are the ones foreclosing on our mortgages which can't be paid because of the financial damage caused by the foreclosers. In the same way that Coca-cola created the modern Santa Claus, 'they' might well have created Peppa Pig as part of a pre-school advertising campaign, 'Want it? Have it.'

That's not what I want for my son and I suspect that almost none of us actually want that.

It's the little things they get us on. No-one bats an eyelid now that the run-up to Christmas starts in the middle of January and we have all submitted to the Coca-cola/McDonald's/MicroSoft/Tesco's way.

Modern society has evolved into a system that relies on a large 'sheep' population and a tiny 'lion' minority population. That way, the lions can be happy and the sheep can do everything else. The 'lions' have their own problems but the 'sheep' have more.

The simple things. Peppa Pig seems very simple but therein lies a clue as to the extent of the 'polish'. The language is simple, the ideas are simple, the animation is ultra-simple. Everything about Peppa Pig is simple and that is an important design feature. You see, it's so simple as to appear totally mundane to anyone over a certain mental age but to a three-year old, these ideas are novel, intriguing. Peppa Pig will directly affect the behaviour of a certain number of children, they will 'try it on' to see if it works for them. In fact, Peppa Pig is so simple that it is likely to inform and therefore influence most, if not all, children who develop an interest in it.

Think of it from a CEO of a massive corporation's point of view - here is a programme that can directly lead to selfishly motivated requests to be made by children to parents. 'I want this', I want that', how many requests made would be likely to be acceded to? I reckon that most parents would grant most requests when they can. If you now think in terms of how those numbers convert into trips to McDonald's or a trip to Tesco's to get chocolate cake, etc., it is easy to see how large amounts of money can be made.

Hmm, 'they' wouldn't allow children that have just began their journey of understanding to be the targets of advertising would they? Yes, they would.

As far as keeping the kids quiet is concerned... Yeah? Try walking the push-chair past Peppa Pig merchandise...

Actually, I feel more strongly than I thought I did about this and have therefore decided to start a Campaign Reacting Against Peppa campaign. :)

Could hardly got through that rambling, and still haven't found a valid point. Peppa is fine in small doses, as it also teaches them some positive things. I am much more dreading the next step of Power Rangers, Horrid Henry or Barbie stuff etc. That's far worse IMO the a family of pigs who like to their chocolate cake.

DubDani wrote: »
    Peppa is fine in small doses, as it also teaches them some positive things.

Such as?

Give me one or two examples of the positive things taught by Peppa Pig and I'll give you ten or twenty bad things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

The only thing peppa pig is good for is keepin my little one quiet
    My little one now talks with an English accent and says I'm silly daddy a lot

guyfo wrote: »
    Im sorry, I stumbled across this thread because it was on the front-page but this is insane.

Pepa pig is a bad influence???

Let me ask you parents. What did you watch when you were growing up.

Scooby doo perhaps? Maybe the flintstones? Tom and jerry? I bet you all turned out really bad.

Kids tv now is far more pc than even 10 years ago, yet there is still complaints!

I see people mentioning god and heaven on this thread. Perhaps instead of pointing out whats wrong with their tv you should look at the fact you are bringing your kids up in a religion with a long history mass murder as well as medical, social and scientific oppression to this day.

Build a bridge, get over it.

Kids will always see things they shouldn't.

Which is better. they see it in a controlled environment on tv where there are usually consequences for the bad party showing acting like that is wrong.

Or in real life

In real life of course!? What is up with you? Or perhaps you have knowledge of another realm where real and useful experience can be garnered?

Okay, I think you are guilty of the same lack of care as DubDani is. You make an ad hoc argument against something you have read but provide zero evidence in support of your view. These are sometimes referred to as 'just so' arguments which are untested by the one who makes the assertion. Such arguments always break under scrutiny as yours no doubt will if you persue it.

For example, I suggested in my first post in this thread that Peppa Pig is a bad influence on young and impressionable children and went on to give a number of examples that support that view whereas DubDani stated that Peppa Pig teaches some positive things but offers not a shred of evidence in support of that view. DubDani has made a 'just so' argument and the validity of his/her argument can only ever be subjective, i.e. it depends entirely on how you personally perceive DubDani.

But you have used a diversionary tactic which, in some ways, is worse than not making a valid argument at all, as DubDani did. Instead of actually looking at the Peppa Pig issue, on a Peppa Pig thread, you sought to introduce other seperate issues into the discussion which would tend to distract from the point at hand.

So, guyfo, is Peppa Pig a good influence for children and why? Never mind about Scooby Doo or The Flintstones, whatever about God and religion - is Peppa Pig something that children should aspire to?

I say no. Society is about shared values, a common goal or similar ideals. Well, maybe once upon a time it was but unfortunately, complacency is endemic in human cultures as are exploiters of weaknesses. These two 'facts' lead to a status quo that necessarily relies on a huge 'sheep' population.

And Peppa Pig endorses that state of affairs - All for one, all for me. Peppa Pig is always the one and there is only one Peppa Pig.

Personally, I'd rather be outside kicking a ball about with the kids, you know, real life situations where teamwork and selfishness have real consequences but sadly, the parenting of most working-class kids is abdicated to Peppa Pig and the like. TV is the primary guardian of too many children and society is doomed to pay the price eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

Quite a Statement to make.

My daughter is 3, and she has maybe watched 20 minutes of real TV in her life. So far she has never seen an advert, for example. Generally she has very little interest in it, and we don't have the TV on for about 29 days of the month.

If she watches something it is usually on our IPAD, and stuff that we have selected. Peppa Pig is one of those things (as you can hardly can get around it these days, and we find it reasonably cute and harmless). Other things are Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Sesame Street and some older foreign stuff from the 80s.

These days you won't be able to raise a kid without TV, and it is important to have a very close eye on what and how much the kids watch. For this Ipads and Network Drives etc. are great to create your own library. It's quite scary what kind of rubbish is shown as Kids TV these days. But we disagree on Peppa Pig. That's fine, as it would be strange if everyone had the same opinion. We as a family find it cute, quite funny at times and with a reasonable Value. Yes, sometimes you have to explain that most people won't have Chocolate Cake for Breakfast, but that's the role of the Parents anyway to make sure that kids don't take everything they see or hear as the only truth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement